Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

tater_salad posted:

Are you sure you're not buying "Riobi" products from local flea market?

Yeah, I've got nothing bad to say about Ryobi. I have nearly a dozen One+ tools and the only time I've found one to be underpowered or not up to the job was doing a deep router cut in hard maple using the trim router. I bought an M18 trim router and it made the same cut like butter.

Then again, the M18 was 4x the price of the One+.

Plus, I don't know years of acquisition, but TTI owns both Milwaukee and Ryobi (along with Rigid and others), and I have to think there's some cross development there. My cousin worked for TTI and I saw some pictures of the Ryobi HQ and it's interesting how they keep their product lines completely separate in warehousing and internal displays. Overall, I feel that they devote a lot of effort into development of Ryobi and, while it'll never be a top-tier brand, it is more than adequate in most cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I have their corded random orbit sander and it's good, but that's not exactly a high-power tool that is likely to burn out.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

The other nice thing about getting on the Ryobi battery system is you can get "tools" like a fan, work lights, Bluetooth speakers, hot glue guns, dustbusters, etc etc etc. You can get those on the pro-level battery systems too, but the Ryobi ones are cheap as hell, and directtoolsoutlet exists. Super convenient for camping and stuff.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Literally A Person posted:

Maybe it's the difference between their corded/battery. All of the tools I've burned up/exploded have been their corded tools

Their very first venture into the U.S. market was a cheap 10" miter saw in the late '80's or early '90's and it was a disaster. Bad armature wirings iirc, nearly sunk them. I've never owned a corded Ryobi, but I stand with the rest of the folks vis-a-vis cordless.

You like that one, vis-a-vis?

more falafel please posted:

The other nice thing about getting on the Ryobi battery system is you can get "tools" like a fan, work lights, Bluetooth speakers, hot glue guns, dustbusters, etc etc etc. You can get those on the pro-level battery systems too, but the Ryobi ones are cheap as hell, and directtoolsoutlet exists. Super convenient for camping and stuff.

I went there almost 25 years ago when I found out how much 2 DeWalt batteries were going to cost to replace the 2 I had in the popular 4-tool kit.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Oh yeah even if I decide to switch to Makita, I'll keep my Ryobi flashlights and the bluetooth speaker + radio + USB charger, which I bought about a month ago when a weather warning which included "possible long power outages in rural areas" came out for me. Those things are all great.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I'm probably going to get the Ryobi fan series soon cause it's already hot as poo poo, but I can't recommend the folding light thingy from them highly enough. Probably going to buy another one and then their tripod spot light thingy, too.

Just used it with only the top part pointing straight down as a deck light, since we don't have our string lights up yet. 11/10.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

This is why I always recommend the 18v One+ line to homeowners. There's been a ton of times where I ended up just buying some tool because it might occasionally be useful to me and it was really cheap. A few of these got no use, but some of them like the hot glue gun, dual inflator, and spotlight get used all the time. I never would have been willing to spend $100+ on those, but I think all of them ended up costing me less than $30ea. From what I've seen and read the newer tools are generally built better than some of the older (now mostly discontinued) ones, but YMMV.

My only bad Ryobi experiences were my first One+ pole saw and one of the trimmers.

The pole saw died and a little Youtubing revealed that it had a non-user serviceable fuse at some point. Mine was apparently an older revision and I could never solve the issue. I abused that thing to hell and back before it died so I can't really complain. I went and immediately bought another one and actually just picked up a backup from Direct Tools last week because its been so useful for me.

The yard trimmer just had a bad spool design that burned through line constantly, which seems like a common thing with cheap trimmers. It was already discontinued when I got it, but it does seem like their cheap trimmers have issues from the reviews I've read.

I have a Ryobi gas trimmer and chainsaw and both have been ok. That said, I don't use them enough to mix my own 2 stroke fuel and just get the premixed poo poo, which seems to avoid the main issues people have with them.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Electric chainsaws have become so drat much better in the past 5 years. Both battery and corded. Not sure what the deal is with that.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

is there an equivalent of directtools for Canada? Anyone know?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

I see these posts and I'm like am I just really mean to tools or am I getting like defective units or something. I look at a Ryobi tool and it falls apart into little pieces in use cases just like yours. Where are these good Ryobi products??
How recent was your experience with them? I spent probably 15 years refusing to buy them because back when they were blue, every single thing they made was unbelievable garbage and their nicad batteries were completely unusable even by nicad standards. I've ended up with a few of their yard tools recently though, and I've been pretty satisfied with them. Definitely not something I'd trust for professional use, but I've gone from warning friends away from Ryobi to suggesting them for light use.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Slugworth posted:

How recent was your experience with them? I spent probably 15 years refusing to buy them because back when they were blue, every single thing they made was unbelievable garbage and their nicad batteries were completely unusable even by nicad standards. I've ended up with a few of their yard tools recently though, and I've been pretty satisfied with them. Definitely not something I'd trust for professional use, but I've gone from warning friends away from Ryobi to suggesting them for light use.

To be fair, a decade ago.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
A reminder that Blue Ryobi is not Neon Green Ryobi. Blur ryobi was hot garbage.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I picked up a 40v Ryobi blower. Having zero experience with other blowers, I can honestly say this thing is nice. Used it to blow off the back patio and the wife's first word when she saw it was "whoa". Sure, it is made of basically 100% plastic, but it feels solid and worked well on day one. Maybe in a few months I'll have a different opinion!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

stealie72 posted:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Johnny Truant posted:

I'm probably going to get the Ryobi fan series soon cause it's already hot as poo poo,

I just got two different Ryobi ONE+ fans and they own a lot. I got the small clip-on one and the bigger corded/cordless hybrid one with the hanger hook, clipped the former to the edge of my table saw and hung the latter from a hook on my porch. Both of them rule, highly recommend.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
And remember, neon green Ryobi generally has three levels of tools. Good, better, best.

Good is their lowest level of tool. They're okay. They will do the job but lack features like multiple speeds, less power, etc. Usually these come in the multi tool kits. Bare bones.

Better might have adjustable settings, more power, etc. Better ergonomics.

Best are typically brushless, robustly built, more power, and compatible with their 18+hp batteries.

I've never had a single issue with any of my Ryobi stuff in the 10+ years I've had them. The original batteries are still running strong. I have about a dozen tools and some were better than others but none ever a dud. I would still be on Ryobi if it weren't for my ridiculous $99 DeWalt deal.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

Verman posted:

And remember, neon green Ryobi generally has three levels of tools. Good, better, best.

Good is their lowest level of tool. They're okay. They will do the job but lack features like multiple speeds, less power, etc. Usually these come in the multi tool kits. Bare bones.

Better might have adjustable settings, more power, etc. Better ergonomics.

Best are typically brushless, robustly built, more power, and compatible with their 18+hp batteries.

I've never had a single issue with any of my Ryobi stuff in the 10+ years I've had them. The original batteries are still running strong. I have about a dozen tools and some were better than others but none ever a dud. I would still be on Ryobi if it weren't for my ridiculous $99 DeWalt deal.

That's a good point. I buy the brushless tools whenever possible/necessary and I haven't been disappointed yet. This goes for 18v and 40v.

Can anyone recommend a set of drill bits? I'm running low on a lot of common sizes in Brad point and twist.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Ryobi certainly seems fine for most tools but I just took a squint at their track saw and that seems like a submarine tool designed to make you hate track saws.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

tracecomplete posted:

Ryobi certainly seems fine for most tools but I just took a squint at their track saw and that seems like a submarine tool designed to make you hate track saws.

Well sure, not all of us can be experienced submariners.

:smuggo:

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

NomNomNom posted:

That's a good point. I buy the brushless tools whenever possible/necessary and I haven't been disappointed yet. This goes for 18v and 40v.

Can anyone recommend a set of drill bits? I'm running low on a lot of common sizes in Brad point and twist.

The high end brad points at Lee Valley are really nice, they're pricey though, so I buy them one at a time as my crappy brad points ones wear out.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Idk that a Ryobi (or any tool company’s) meh Bluetooth speaker is worth it when you can get a waterproof ANKER speaker for like $25 that sounds way better, takes up much less space, and has its own internal battery + can be charged/powered via any USB power source, and I’d argue the same for flashlights and so forth.

I might end up grabbing one of the DeWalt phone charging pads at some point tho, just for the novelty value

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Ok Comboomer posted:

Idk that a Ryobi (or any tool company’s) meh Bluetooth speaker is worth it when you can get a waterproof ANKER speaker for like $25 that sounds way better, takes up much less space, and has its own internal battery + can be charged/powered via any USB power source, and I’d argue the same for flashlights and so forth.

I might end up grabbing one of the DeWalt phone charging pads at some point tho, just for the novelty value

Apparently you've never put a 5AH battery on your speaker. Goes for days.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

stealie72 posted:

To be fair, a decade ago.

Yeah it's this. They've come a very long way in the last few years. The blue stuff was...not great.

Meow Meow Meow posted:

The high end brad points at Lee Valley are really nice, they're pricey though, so I buy them one at a time as my crappy brad points ones wear out.
Seconding these. They are Very Good. If you don't need Very Good they probably aren't worth the price, but they are fantastic. I think they are a good bit cheaper if you buy the set and then you have drill bits in 1/64" increments which everyone definitely absolutely needs. Great for dowels or holes that will be plugged with wooden plugs.

Milwaukee also makes a nice set of twist bits that are good for metal.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Well sure, not all of us can be experienced submariners.

:smuggo:

I deserved that.

For real though. I kind of don't like a cordless track saw at all, because I still need a vacuum or else it barfs all over the track and I have to brush it clean between cuts. But mine's the 36V Makita and it churns through a whole lot of stuff. I would not want to deal with 1/2" MDF or 3/4" plywood with that unless my needs were so minor that I could just use a circ saw and an edge guide on the rare occasions where I needed it. It comes with two super-short tracks (27" apiece) that aren't standard Festool-pattern tracks (I think I've seen them before though, the saw might run on regular ones but if it's like the Euro one with similar tracks it may be loose), plus a 4Ah battery and a charger, great--

--for $400.

My Makita saw didn't come with a track. (I used my $99-for-two 50" Wen tracks, because standardization, until I bought a 55" Makita track as a luxury purchase because they were the cheapest to sell me one long enough to get all the way across a sheet of plywood while having room to attach my rail square.) Instead it came with a systainer and two 5Ah batteries and a double charger for $500.

I had the 12A corded track saw from Wen before this one and I think I'd recommend that ten times out of ten for something who's track saw-curious. It's $150 new and it's surprisingly un-terrible, and it runs on Festool-pattern rails which you can buy cheap from Wen or Powertec anyway.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Seconding these. They are Very Good. If you don't need Very Good they probably aren't worth the price, but they are fantastic. I think they are a good bit cheaper if you buy the set and then you have drill bits in 1/64" increments which everyone definitely absolutely needs. Great for dowels or holes that will be plugged with wooden plugs.

Man I wish I could justify buying these for the shop at my office, but the dumbass engineers would destroy them in a month.

Like we have multiple full sets of twist drills in 1/64" increments and the numbered/lettered sizes and every single one is dull somehow.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Remember it's easy to find battery adapters to let you use DeWalt, other batteries with Ryobi 18v stuff

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Ok Comboomer posted:

What I want it for is for times when I don't have another power source. The speaker charges USB devices, so it's a power source that's only limited by the batteries I bring and also plays music. Also, again, buying poo poo on Direct Tools Outlet means that it was $20.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Man I wish I could justify buying these for the shop at my office, but the dumbass engineers would destroy them in a month.

Like we have multiple full sets of twist drills in 1/64" increments and the numbered/lettered sizes and every single one is dull somehow.

No problem, just buy a Tormek wet grinder + drill jig. Does an excellent job.

What, you say you're not made of time and money?

That Works posted:

Remember it's easy to find battery adapters to let you use DeWalt, other batteries with Ryobi 18v stuff

Working fine for me so far (Makita batteries -> Ryobi & DeWalt tools). I'll let you all know if the magic smoke escapes.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Hexigrammus posted:

No problem, just buy a Tormek wet grinder + drill jig. Does an excellent job.

What, you say you're not made of time and money?

I can make time and find money but the real issue is one of the other engineers doesn't understand the core concept of cutting tools. Everything I sharpen or replace he abuses and ruins in about a month. Then when I get mad he dulled the brand new tools he tells me I just need to "push harder" to make them work.

I'll look into that sharpener though. I'll probably have to hide the sharpened tools.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Lowes has a 4 tool Dewalt kit(drill, driver, light, reciprocating saw, 2 batteries) half off. I snagged one for $213. My local store had 4 locked up in the cage.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
Contractor customer of mine called me yesterday evening that the new paint sprayer he had bought that morning stopped working towards the end of the day and wouldn't turn back on. Went out to their job site this morning and his guys were using one of his old sprayers, plugged into the temporary power pole (new home site) with 300' of 16 gauge extension cord. "Is that how you were running the new one yesterday?" "Yup!" Yeahhhh there's your problem. Manufacturer recommends 50' of 12 gauge or 100' of 10 gauge, no longer than that. Luckily it has a shutoff feature that had tripped to save the motor, so we fired it right up this morning no problem and hopefully they know better now.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I bought the drill and I regret nothing

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Final Blog Entry posted:

300' of 16 gauge extension cord.

jesus wept

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I'm surprised the thing ran at all

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
It's on the smaller end of the electric airlesses with a 5/8hp motor otherwise they definitely wouldn't have gotten away with it for as long as they did, if at all. I had in my mind that it was probably power supply related before I went out there, I just wasn't prepared for how blatantly obvious it was.

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
Worked with a guy years ago that was complaining that his little generator was broken. Tiniest generator ever, like a weed wacker engine, 800 watts or something. When he tried to use it to power his 1100 watt heat gun it stalled the motor almost instantly. There was an audience when he was explaining his woes at his tailgate and demonstrating. There was a bit of silence before someone piped up and explained it to him.

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
Ryobichat: I've used a coworker's compact bandsaw. I can't speak to it's longevity but it's nice to use, handles in the right spot for one handed operation. I have the 12v Milwaukee Fuel compact bandsaw and i'd compare it favorably. I like the Ryobi better than the old Milwaukee 12v compact bandsaw.

Sakara123
Dec 10, 2019

The Big Chungus

Schiavona posted:

Any recommendations on how to follow these? I’d love to build out my collection at a lower cost and right now it’s just a lot of Taylor toolworks scratch and dent.

Sign up for any local store newsletters, as well as some national e-tailers, for me typically KMS tools has some of the best prices as well as being local, next would be ct-f & then Bcfasteners.ideally you want small to medium sized stores, they typically don't mind running a single huge loss leader every sale or two as people who come in tend to drop a LOT more money.

Sakara123
Dec 10, 2019

The Big Chungus

Final Blog Entry posted:

Contractor customer of mine called me yesterday evening that the new paint sprayer he had bought that morning stopped working towards the end of the day and wouldn't turn back on. Went out to their job site this morning and his guys were using one of his old sprayers, plugged into the temporary power pole (new home site) with 300' of 16 gauge extension cord. "Is that how you were running the new one yesterday?" "Yup!" Yeahhhh there's your problem. Manufacturer recommends 50' of 12 gauge or 100' of 10 gauge, no longer than that. Luckily it has a shutoff feature that had tripped to save the motor, so we fired it right up this morning no problem and hopefully they know better now.

They make cords that long that thin? Jesus christ, buddy was running the home depot special and managed to not burn a house down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Sakara123 posted:

They make cords that long that thin? Jesus christ, buddy was running the home depot special and managed to not burn a house down.

If you just string a bunch together, you can make it as long as you want.