Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC when the manga was first being translated into English there was some wonkiness with the names but the mangaka eventually explained how they wanted it done.

Ania never caught on though, oddly enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I like to think that it was Anya not knowing how her name was spelled :3:

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Clarste posted:

Ania never caught on though, oddly enough.

Wow, I thought I hallucinated that after the "Loid" thing. I'm glad they stuck with the normal name.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Now I'm trying to work out what Yor is supposed to be.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I assumed "night" in relation to Loid's "twilight."

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

Caphi posted:

I assumed "night" in relation to Loid's "twilight."

Apparently a coincidence, according to Endo in the fanbook.

Originally, Endo was going to call her Yolanda, with Yor for short, then he decided to keep it short anyway for the speech bubbles. (Had he gone with Yolanda, given it means 'violet', it would probably have got tagged as part of her floral motif.)

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Surprised it wasn't Rose or something, since she's the Thorn Princess...

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I feel like "Rose Briar" would have been too on the nose even for this manga.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Some Numbers posted:

I feel like "Rose Briar" would have been too on the nose even for this manga.

Mr. Lockpick Forger

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Sure, but that's an assumed name. "Yor Briar" is her legitimate given name.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Yor deadnow

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Me? I'm not the thorn princess, its me Rosa Reyna humble civil servant

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Yor Alreadydead

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Rosa Thornberry

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

https://twitter.com/tabakko/status/1526597992886972416

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

https://twitter.com/paru_par0/status/1526771601722576903?s=21&t=zhIBa1eHda-mpK1XFfCuBg

The accompanying female version sounds like something drunk Yor would say too

Eyre Kneed
Jul 1, 2008

Did no one catch Zachary Feiss the sacrifice in Yor's fantasy acouple of episodes ago?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Eyre Kneed posted:

Did no one catch Zachary Feiss the sacrifice in Yor's fantasy acouple of episodes ago?

Very few people did but they did catch the pun.

Also Anyas little hat ahhhhhhhhhh

edit: Holy poo poo are they doing algebra at 6?

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 21, 2022

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Eyre Kneed posted:

That's a dude that got killed an a Ace Attorney game.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

SirKibbles posted:

edit: Holy poo poo are they doing algebra at 6?
Yep. Which can happen at schools for the gifted, as it did for me. And much like Anya, I was asleep though a lot of those lectures. I wasn't in the gifted program long.

A lot of folks are calling Anya dumb, but she's not. She's average. Which at that school may as well be low-grade moron. Strangely enough, it sounds like Yor's brother Yuri probably would have excelled there had he been given half a chance.

Speaking of which, looks like the effluvia is about to hit the rotary oscillator. :munch:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Anya's also a year or two younger than her classmates which is incredibly significant at that age. She's a very smart 4/5 year old trying to hang with 6 year olds and mostly succeeding.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Doodles posted:

Yep. Which can happen at schools for the gifted, as it did for me. And much like Anya, I was asleep though a lot of those lectures. I wasn't in the gifted program long.

A lot of folks are calling Anya dumb, but she's not.

She's not even average, she's four.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I don't think they've said how old she is, she just insisted she's 6 after she read Loid's mind when he was doubting she was because she looked short. So she could be almost 6, up to a few years away, or maybe just short for all I know

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

People are assuming she's four or five because that's what Loid assumed, and he was probably right.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

and the way she says the age 100% is written as her lying

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I'd peg Anya as between 5 and 7, behavior-wise. Four year olds are way more incoherent.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Anya was also in and out of the orphanage enough that I doubt she had a particularly steady education.

Luckily she can cheat.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Nephthys posted:

Anya was also in and out of the orphanage enough that I doubt she had a particularly steady education.

Luckily she can cheat.

The lab did make her study, which is why she hates doing it now

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Clearly this needs to be updated for Damian now

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
After this episode you can just tell that Damien and Anya are going to be walking down the aisle together in twenty years.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Hahaha I knew it! That Yor's brother clearly works for the Eastovia's government; although maybe he's not Yor's handler.

Doodles posted:

Speaking of which, looks like the effluvia is about to hit the rotary oscillator. :munch:

I had to google some of these words to figure out what you were going for. :mad:

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Getting secondhand flashbacks in school.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Zore posted:

Anya's also a year or two younger than her classmates which is incredibly significant at that age. She's a very smart 4/5 year old trying to hang with 6 year olds and mostly succeeding.

It's even more impressive when you consider that these kids have probably had the best tutors money and power can buy since birth while Anya's spent the last year or so going in and out of orphanages. It's incredible that she's even managing to keep up.

ThingOne fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 21, 2022

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ThingOne posted:

It's even more impressive when you consider that these kids have probably had the best tutors money and power can buy since birth while Anya's spent the last year or so going in and out of orphanages. It's incredible that she's even managing to keep up.

she *is* an esper tho

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
lmao Damien's got it bad. :allears:

I really like this slow burn arc for Twilight where he's starting to realize that he needs to be a real father to Anya and not just the super spy to sets everything up behind the scenes for her.

Also uh, I hope I've just watched too many bad anime and they're not actually doing the thing with Yor's brother that I think they're doing.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
e: nm

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 22, 2022

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I look forward to when Loid and Yuri meet given what the preview suggests Yuri's job is.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Sydin posted:

Also uh, I hope I've just watched too many bad anime and they're not actually doing the thing with Yor's brother that I think they're doing.

Be not afraid; this does not come to pass. This is a wholesome IP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Lovin' the jazzy opening music this week, it's really got a Herbie Hancock thing going.

EDIT: Ow, this ep hit might right in the feelings.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 08:46 on May 22, 2022