Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
So like the DBZ or One Piece movies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

I think they should be even crazier. Abandon any pretense of even ambiguous canon and just go full bonkers what if poo poo.

Just have All Might come out at the end dressed like Rod Serling and give an outro to the movie that says how it's just one possibility.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I liked that one Bleach movie where Ichigo gets a gf but then she dies and nobody ever talks about her again, then in the actual main series Rukia and Renji go on to have a kid who has like 1:1 the exact same visual design as the dead gf. idk what Kubo meant by that but it's funny.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

What if movie where Anya, Loid, and Yor are a for real family, but they have to keep it secret from everyone else.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sydin posted:

I liked that one Bleach movie where Ichigo gets a gf but then she dies and nobody ever talks about her again, then in the actual main series Rukia and Renji go on to have a kid who has like 1:1 the exact same visual design as the dead gf. idk what Kubo meant by that but it's funny.

That's our Bleach! *audience laughter*

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

That's our Bleach! *audience laughter*

Unironically. The second I knew it was Bleach I was like "yeah, that checks out".

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Kiss your husband, Yor.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Despite relatively little Anya this episode, she definitely got some top-tier faces in:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Twlight finally decides to be somewhat suspicious of his wife and it immediately makes him feel like an rear end in a top hat. I also like the irony of Yor being so worried about seeming suspicious to the secret police when it's clear they could send several squads after her and she'd mow through them without breaking a sweat.

I've uh... I've had enough of Yuri. For a show that's so far done a really good job of having unique spins on its humor, Yuri's generic childhood marriage promise to his sister thing just kinda sucks. Hopefully he drifts out of focus or at a minimum his character gets taken in a different direction.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
He's good because he's bad actually

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Sydin posted:

Twlight finally decides to be somewhat suspicious of his wife and it immediately makes him feel like an rear end in a top hat. I also like the irony of Yor being so worried about seeming suspicious to the secret police when it's clear they could send several squads after her and she'd mow through them without breaking a sweat.

Serious Yor is a legitimate scary character. I assume eventually we're going to see her meet her match or get placed in a bad situation, but right now I'm enjoying her being the most dangerous character in the series by a wide margin.

quote:

I've uh... I've had enough of Yuri. For a show that's so far done a really good job of having unique spins on its humor, Yuri's generic childhood marriage promise to his sister thing just kinda sucks. Hopefully he drifts out of focus or at a minimum his character gets taken in a different direction.

Yeah, as he is now he's definitely a character that works best in small doses.

lol I didn't even notice the knifehand when I watched the episode

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Okay, the marriage thing was Yuri being a dumb kid. Having a locker full of photos of Yor...is another thing entirely.

I know one leads into the other, but I hope that the dangerous idiot (in other words, a cop :v: ) aspect of him is more emphasized than the creepy sister stuff.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Dunno that this really deserves spoiler tags but you will be relieved to know that at this point you have seen the vast majority of Yuri's appearances in the manga so far.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yuri is not creepy towards Yor other than being an overprotective younger brother.

People are looking way more into this than needed

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I think it doesn't help that its common enough of an anime-ism that its hard NOT to think of the worst version of the trope.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
He is akin to the single mom kid who is probably too dependent on his mom as a young adult, a bit weird, but also not literally trying to gently caress or get with his mom.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Yuri isn't a typical siscon that wants to make out with his sister. He just thinks nobody is good enough for her, and perfect cover Midnight actually kinda seems like a guy who is good enough for her so he melts down extra hard. He is one of the weakest characters though.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Pretty sure not all those photos in his locker were obtained with consent, but yeah the other part of the joke is that Yuri actually does find himself warming to Loid despite himself and recognizing him as a good partner for Yor, so there's got to be something fishy about him (quelle surprise, he actually is Twilight, but "looking for one of the top enemies of the state" isn't why Yuri wants to prove that he's a spy).

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I propose the theory that Yor having to raise her little brother on her very limited skillset outside of "cleaning up" has probably caused him some brain (and rib) damage

But yeah, what everyone else said too.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Hogama posted:

Pretty sure not all those photos in his locker were obtained with consent, but yeah the other part of the joke is that Yuri actually does find himself warming to Loid despite himself and recognizing him as a good partner for Yor, so there's got to be something fishy about him (quelle surprise, he actually is Twilight, but "looking for one of the top enemies of the state" isn't why Yuri wants to prove that he's a spy).

Yuri is caught by not wanting anyone to live up to his ideals for his sister, but also wanting his sister to be happy.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I appreciate Loid reading "Dang!" magazine, with an ad for Spy Wars on the back.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The one thing I will say about Yuri is that I do like that it's implied his obsession with his sister - and his drinking - are impacting his job. When the dude in the locker room was telling him "holy poo poo man just focus on your job and stop drinking" it definitely felt like a speech Yuri's heard many times before.

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Dunno that this really deserves spoiler tags but you will be relieved to know that at this point you have seen the vast majority of Yuri's appearances in the manga so far.

Awesome.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Even if Yuri does like Yor as more than a brother, he definitely isn't aware of it. He was pushing Yor to get a boyfriend in ep 2, remember. It's mostly the extreme circumstances and being very drunk that made him react this strongly.

Anyway, clearly he's actually repressing feelings for Loid. :colbert:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Nephthys posted:

Even if Yuri does like Yor as more than a brother, he definitely isn't aware of it. He was pushing Yor to get a boyfriend in ep 2, remember. It's mostly the extreme circumstances and being very drunk that made him react this strongly.

Anyway, clearly he's actually repressing feelings for Loid. :colbert:

Kinda feels like he wants her to get a bf so he can have the satisfaction of shutting that down.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Also I love that Anya's crazy relative universe just keeps expanding and she just thinks that her uncle being her dad's nemesis is cool as gently caress.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

He does have a standalone chapter showing what he's like at work, so I wouldn't say vast majority.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Sydin posted:

Also I love that Anya's crazy relative universe just keeps expanding and she just thinks that her uncle being her dad's nemesis is cool as gently caress.

I don't think she's quite connected those dots yet, she just thinks secret police sounds cool, ergo Yuri must also be cool.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
Basically Yuri is the type of person the siscon trope was based on before in got hit with ANIME and became you literally want to sleep with your sister.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

chiasaur11 posted:

I appreciate Loid reading "Dang!" magazine, with an ad for Spy Wars on the back.

I think it's an ad for Dang! on the back of an unflipped issue of the Spy Wars manga.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Kvantum posted:

I think it's an ad for Dang! on the back of an unflipped issue of the Spy Wars manga.

I forgot to mention this but he was reading the first Spy Wars book while Anya was reading the 10th in the previous episode. I thought it was a cute touch.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kvantum posted:

Right, because it's a Japanese format despite it being set in a pseudo-European country with the title in English. I wasn't quite sure, and I felt that "Dang!" was a funnier name for a magazine.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Unlucky7 posted:

I forgot to mention this but he was reading the first Spy Wars book while Anya was reading the 10th in the previous episode. I thought it was a cute touch.

Yeah it's nice that Loid is trying to connect with Anya a bit by engaging with her media.

I'm sure it's worse for Loid because the whole time he's undoubtedly thinking "this is awful and not how spies work"

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

TwoPair posted:

Yeah it's nice that Loid is trying to connect with Anya a bit by engaging with her media.

I'm sure it's worse for Loid because the whole time he's undoubtedly thinking "this is awful and not how spies work"

The eternal problem of reading fiction about your profession.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

The dub episodes are a week behind, so we just now got to hear Yuri’s VA shine. He’s hilarious and unsettling at the same time, I highly approve.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

DrakePegasus posted:

The dub episodes are a week behind, so we just now got to hear Yuri’s VA shine. He’s hilarious and unsettling at the same time, I highly approve.

Who voices him, because I can only hear him as Todd Haberkorn.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

chiasaur11 posted:

Right, because it's a Japanese format despite it being set in a pseudo-European country with the title in English. I wasn't quite sure, and I felt that "Dang!" was a funnier name for a magazine.

Hey you should watch the movie Joe Dirt, it's clearly your kind of thing!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
It's also good to remember that as weird as Yuri is, having the person you're closest to on earth not tell you about a relationship for a year is an enormous mindfuck

A bit of a meltdown is understandable

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Electric Phantasm posted:

Who voices him, because I can only hear him as Todd Haberkorn.

Dallas Reid, probably (unfortunately) most well known nowadays for voicing Asta in Black Clover. He does a good job as Yuri though and only screams a little bit :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I like that Loid saw his wife throw a fork at mach speed into the wall, before literally slapping her grown man brother across the room twice, and then thought "there's absolutely nothing suspicious about her, just her brother."