Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Atreiden posted:

Seriously wtf is wrong with Germany. If it wasn't such a serious situation this would be great comedy.
https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1534615136467550209

lol a firmware update definitely takes six months

Are they trying to download the update using a 9600 bit/s modem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Nenonen posted:

You’re about to discover something about internet in Germany. :v:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

PederP posted:

For the same reason we cannot argue in favor of direct intervention in this thread: nukes.

If Russia did not have nukes, direct intervention would already have happened.

Duda's quote specifically mentions that if we're afraid of nukes, we might as well surrender now, so he's happy to verbally dismiss the threat while not engaging Russia New Hitler directly for some reason which is totally not nukes, apparently.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
"Doesn't the German govt. believe that Russians can march into Berlin and occupy parts of Germany?"

Sit down Mr President, that is one thing noone belives these days :v:

d64 posted:

Imo it's in bad taste and off the mark to compare Putin to Hitler. If the Polish govt believes they are the same, why are they standing by then? Why are they not fighting along with Ukraine in that case, instead of taking aim at Germany? It's just cheap rhetoric.

I mean it's a cheap shot but both are genocidal dictators who started a war on their neighbors to wipe them (well, part of them) out. The Third Reich had a bit more "backstage" then compared to the paper tiger that Russia appears.
Also Poland has been doing a lot to help, sending equipment, hosting refugees and providing a lot of training grounds for people who then go back to Ukraine to fight with the gear other countries provide. We cannot directly intervene as Polish soldiers killed by Russian soldiers could be seen as provoking a large scale conflict by our allies, who could then refuse to help further, or worse, stop the help they are providing now. There's already a lot of talk about the Article 5 thing and the image of Poland is mostly "yeah kurwa let's go kill Ruskie yeeeeeeeeee". So we kind of have to stay put to show that we are not exactly that.

That way we can put pressure on countries with more resources to help.

Cantide
Jun 13, 2001
Pillbug

Nenonen posted:

Apparently this is the source but I can't find the thing about the SW update:
https://www.zeit.de/politik/ausland/2022-05/ukraine-russland-krieg-news-liveblog

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Nenonen posted:

As VW owners about software updates, six months is a rush job.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Ola posted:

Presumably military stuff doesn't need the cheat at emission tests functionality taking up development resources.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Is there any value to this article or is it just propaganda?

The real Zelensky: from celebrity populist to unpopular Pinochet-style neolibera

I'm extremely leery of the Grayzone these days and I had a look at the author's site, it seems to be invariably repeating Russian talking points to such a degree I think its probably just on the payroll of Moscow:
https://natyliesbaldwin.com/

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Atreiden posted:

Seriously wtf is wrong with Germany. If it wasn't such a serious situation this would be great comedy.
https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1534615136467550209

Not surprised. Adding new features to the firmware of such a complicated piece of machinery in just a few month is pretty good. Since it's also a very dangerous mass murdering device, the testing and certification process for the changes is probably insane.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Cantide posted:

Apparently this is the source but I can't find the thing about the SW update:
https://www.zeit.de/politik/ausland/2022-05/ukraine-russland-krieg-news-liveblog

You have to scroll all the way back to yesterday at 14:49.
Machine translated:

quote:

German arms deliveries could be delayed until winter

Shortly after the German chancellor announced that he would deliver an air defense system and multiple rocket launchers to Ukraine, a media report pointed to months of delays . According to information from Business Insider , the promised Iris-T system should not be ready for use until November or December. Accordingly, the air defense system had previously been ordered by Egypt, which is now to do without it in favor of Ukraine.

The situation was similar with the ring exchange with Greece, as part of which the country received 50 Marder infantry fighting vehiclesshould receive from the Federal Republic. Originally, Greece was supposed to deliver Soviet models to Ukraine.

However, they are mainly stationed on the Greek islands and should probably only be withdrawn when all Marder units are delivered ready for use . According to the report, this is also not to be expected until autumn or winter . In addition, the announcement of the exchange was also surprising for the manufacturer Rheinmetall, who wanted to sell the martens to Ukraine directly.

There are apparently also difficulties with the Mars II multiple rocket launcher . Four systems should be delivered - but according to Business Insider , less than half of the 40 German units are operational. In addition, they cannot currently fire ammunition from the USA or Great Britain, a necessary software update could also take months.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

khwarezm posted:

The real Zelensky: from celebrity populist to unpopular Pinochet-style neolibera

I'm extremely leery of the Grayzone these days and I had a look at the author's site, it seems to be invariably repeating Russian talking points to such a degree I think its probably just on the payroll of Moscow:

Zelensky wasn't very popular before the war, but I wouldn't trust the Grayzone even if they said that water is wet. Doesn't really matter now anyway.

Cantide
Jun 13, 2001
Pillbug

Atreiden posted:

You have to scroll all the way back to yesterday at 14:49.
Machine translated:

Thanks so the Original quote "not before winter" isn't entirely correct. Still disappointing

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

d64 posted:

Imo it's in bad taste and off the mark to compare Putin to Hitler. If the Polish govt believes they are the same, why are they standing by then? Why are they not fighting along with Ukraine in that case, instead of taking aim at Germany? It's just cheap rhetoric.

Hitler didn't have nukes. The Allies were loving terrified that he was close to one. The axis had advanced heavy water manufacturing plus working V-2 rockets, it was only a matter of time

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Dug up the business insider article that was the source for Zeit and Visegrad and it's a bit more damning, it goes into more details with more German promises.
https://www.businessinsider.de/poli...chland-steht-a/

Old news for this thread

quote:

Iris-T air defense system: After weeks of pressure, Chancellor Olaf Scholz (SPD) announced in the Bundestag last week that Ukraine should get the Iris-T air defense system. He did not give details. According to Business Insider, the news apparently came as a surprise not only to the Ministry of Defense, but also to Egypt. Because the Egyptian government had ordered several systems in Germany, one of which it is now supposed to do without in favor of Ukraine. But government circles say that the Iris-T system for Ukraine should not be ready for use until November or even December.

Regarding Marder and Greek BPM's

quote:

But the Greeks are said to have been surprised by the Chancellor's announcement, so there is a lot of trouble behind the scenes. Because the BPM tanks are mainly stationed on the Greek islands. The government in Athens fears that Turkey could see an exchange with modern Marder vehicles as an affront in foreign policy - and that the next military conflict in Europe would arise.

From German government circles it is said that the Greeks therefore only want to give up their Soviet tanks when all 50 German Marders have been delivered ready for use. But that should last until autumn or winter. In addition, the manufacturer Rheinmetall was surprised by the ring exchange, which actually wanted to sell the Marten directly to the Ukraine. So whether the group will go along with it at all is an open question. Rheinmetall does not respond to inquiries from us.

and the MARS II

quote:

Multiple rocket launcher Mars II: Scholz had also announced multiple rocket launchers in his Bundestag speech. They can hit targets 40 kilometers away.

It was later said that the Bundeswehr would be giving up four Mars II systems – if possible by the end of June. But that was not confirmed. The problem: According to information from Business Insider, less than half of the almost 40 German vehicles are currently operational at all. Even giving up four is said to have caused the German military to shake their heads behind the scenes. In addition, the software of the rocket launchers must first be reprogrammed because the German vehicles have not yet been able to fire ammunition from the USA or Great Britain. But precisely these types of ammunition are available in large numbers in Ukraine. In the worst case, solving the software problems should take months, it is said, since it is significantly more complicated than with the self-propelled howitzer.

It goes on to conclude that heavey weapons from Germany should not be expected short term.

quote:

At the moment it does not appear that heavy weapons will be delivered from Germany to the Ukraine in the short term. Because according to information from Business Insider, the federal government has not delivered any military material to Ukraine in the past two weeks. A corresponding status was communicated to foreign and security politicians in the Bundestag at the beginning of the week. Remarkable: For the current week, the Ministry of Defense even announced that it would not deposit an updated list of “materials handed over to the UKR” in the secret service office of the Bundestag, as is usually the case – because nothing is being delivered.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

khwarezm posted:

The lady interviewed there is just a happy traitor and a propagandist (living abroad and teaching at a Moscow university) and the interviewer is a useful idiot so they can be safely ignored, along with grayzone in general. Baysha pretends as if February 24th, Bucha and Mariupol did not happen and ignores how Russian army hammers the historically pro-Russian regions the hardest. Neoliberal reforms and internal struggles (wonder if she ever can say anything about the latter in her new home) stopped mattering once bombs started falling, Russians showed their true face and Zelensky started behaving like a leader.

quote:

I follow Zelensky’ war speeches on a regular basis, and I can confidently say that the way he frames the conflict can hardly lead to any diplomatic resolution as he permanently repeats that the forces of good are attacked by the forces of evil.

Gee I wonder why
What happened? Conflict?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Hitler didn't have nukes. The Allies were loving terrified that he was close to one. The axis had advanced heavy water manufacturing plus working V-2 rockets, it was only a matter of time

the allies were scared, but the germans weren't anywhere near close. and even if the germans had had the correct theory on how to make nukes, they lacked the resources for a manhattan project scale project

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The nukes are a red herring at best, or a convenient excuse at worst

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Yeah, he was never going to have nukes. The Nazi nuclear program was basically derailed from the start because, ironically, they couldn't get their reactor to work well. They didn't achieve criticality till the very end of the war, which was four years after the Chicago Pile had gone Critical and two years after X-10 was regularly going critical daily. It was a loose knit project with little to no funding and little to no resources compared to the Manhattan project which was not only well funded, but also benefitted from a huge amount of talent that the Nazis specifically chased off for being Jews or practicing "Jewish Science". Another reason was a lot of up and coming Physics students were sent to the East or West front and killed/captured. The Allies did believe the Nazis could build one, but Operation Alsos proved that the Nazi were far behind the US program wise.

Reminder that the Nazi Physics groups basically rejected Einstein's pivotal work as "Jewish Science".

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-2-pro-nazi-nobelists-attacked-einstein-s-jewish-science-excerpt1/

This is totally off topic but "Nazis gonna get nukes" was always laughably false.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jun 9, 2022

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

She Blinded Me With Jewish Science

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

FishMcCool posted:

Duda's quote specifically mentions that if we're afraid of nukes, we might as well surrender now, so he's happy to verbally dismiss the threat while not engaging Russia New Hitler directly for some reason which is totally not nukes, apparently.

I know the Poland has a religious extremism problem and probably many there view apocalyptic war with Russia as a good end goal, or think that the virgin mary will come from heaven again to save them.

This is what happens when euphemism rules the day. They need to be specific. You mercy killing your chronically ill parents and then having to eat your pets is worth stopping Russia. You will never vote again and spend the rest of your life on a state agricultural facility until the tumors get you. Ukraine will no longer exist as a concept. But we can remember we stood up.

Your child is stillborn.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/maxfras/status/1534814914975518722

https://twitter.com/jakecordell/status/1534875481903968259

https://twitter.com/iikkakorhonen/status/1534873257421283329

https://twitter.com/artyomlukin/status/1534713032114376704

Reznikov claims that Harpoons are now deployed alongside Neptunes along the shoreline.

https://t.me/insiderUKR/34392

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

fatherboxx posted:

Neoliberal reforms and internal struggles (wonder if she ever can say anything about the latter in her new home) stopped mattering once bombs started falling, Russians showed their true face and Zelensky started behaving like a leader.
I've been told that he's using the war as a pretext to persecute all opposition, regardless of how they feel about the Russians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ70EFhFGT8

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jun 9, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Xander77 posted:

I've been told that he's using the war as a pretext to persecute all opposition, regardless of how they feel about the Russians.

That’s a line fairly popular with Kremlin. They don’t even consistently recognise him as having legitimacy to begin with.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

That’s a line fairly popular with Kremlin. They don’t even consistently recognise him as having legitimacy to begin with.
It's possible that every single Ukrainian commentator on fairly anti-war Russian blogs is in fact a Kremlin shill, I guess.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

khwarezm posted:

Grayzone exists to remediate propaganda from Russia and aligned countries, yeah. That specific author also has a bylines on RT's site starting in 2021.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Xander77 posted:

It's possible that every single Ukrainian commentator on fairly anti-war Russian blogs is in fact a Kremlin shill, I guess.

To be fair, restrictions on political liberties currently imposed in Ukraine are something to carefully monitor. It’s just that the characterisation of “persecute all opposition, regardless of how they feel about the Russians” doesn’t hold its water.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It wasn't, there wasn't enough spare electricity in the Reich to refine the fissile material, which accounted for the large majority of the cost of the bomb. It was straight up impossible for the Reich to build a bomb at any point.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, he was never going to have nukes. The Nazi nuclear program was basically derailed from the start because, ironically, they couldn't get their reactor to work well. They didn't achieve criticality till the very end of the war, which was four years after the Chicago Pile had gone Critical and two years after X-10 was regularly going critical daily. It was a loose knit project with little to no funding and little to no resources compared to the Manhattan project which was not only well funded, but also benefitted from a huge amount of talent that the Nazis specifically chased off for being Jews or practicing "Jewish Science". Another reason was a lot of up and coming Physics students were sent to the East or West front and killed/captured. The Allies did believe the Nazis could build one, but Operation Alsos proved that the Nazi were far behind the US program wise.

Reminder that the Nazi Physics groups basically rejected Einstein's pivotal work as "Jewish Science".

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-2-pro-nazi-nobelists-attacked-einstein-s-jewish-science-excerpt1/

This is totally off topic but "Nazis gonna get nukes" was always laughably false.

Yes, it is a derail, but you are entirely correct.

Yes, nukes were coming along soon-ish by the 1940s, after the theoretical and practical breakthroughs that had been made in physics earlier in the century it was only a matter of time. The timing of when they were developed was a bit specific, though, and only a project on the scale of Manhattan could have resulted in a working bomb by 1945. And only the USA had the resources to pursue a project of quite that scale at that time. Not just material resources but human resources too, and not just the brilliant lead researchers but all those lower-level lab tech dudes and so on; training such people if you do not have them at hand takes years. Anyway, they had enough resources to attack problems from several angles at once and try multiple paths in parallel -- which also resulted in not one but two completely different bomb designs by mid-1945, both of which worked.

That was a bit of hindsight, though. Nobody really knew exactly how difficult and time-consuming this development would be until it was actually done. DURING the war, it was not unreasonable to fear that maybe it was easier, or that maybe the Germans were further along than anyone knew.

As a further derail, I've often thought we were kind of lucky that nukes came along exactly when they did, just in time to be used at the very end of a major war, when there wasn't going to be another major war for a while. So that by the time the tech had diffused and developed a bit further and multiple powers had arsenals of significant size, everyone had had time to take a good long look at the horrible effects of the loving things, and assigned them to the new category of deterrent weapons which we never hope to actually use. And they have still not been used again. Consider the alternative if they were developed during a kind of peacetime more similar to the years before WW1... then everyone copies their homework and then everyone has hundreds of the drat things, and then somebody shoots an Archduke or something, and nobody has an actual example of their use...

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Here's the official Ukrainain MoD count on 155mm weapons already in Ukraine, and some other notes. Fair to question how accurate the below count is in either direction, but it's a fair point of estimate
https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1534833302468808704?s=20&t=2QngodUHmwguf8FEqELB2A
https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1534833328779665410?s=20&t=2QngodUHmwguf8FEqELB2A
and a wish list
https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1534833343488983040?s=20&t=2QngodUHmwguf8FEqELB2A

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I wish I could just buy a basic car w/o all the electronic BS.

Would still want the seatbelt s and airbag s though.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Serious question: does Germany even have an Army capable of more than parades at this point? Half of their rocket systems don't work? Half? I'm starting to think that the three Baltic republics could put together a larger actual army than all of Germany right now. I hope NATO planners are able to plan the defense of Europe sans Germany, because it sounds more and more like they have a paper army.

After Ukraine has parity in artillery, which they might get from more precise fires instead of number of tubes/launchers, given reports that NATO artillery is more accurate even with unguided munitions, I think the next push will be for modern armored vehicles. Pushing all of the Warsaw Pact-era BMPs and T-72s was good, but Ukraine needs to stand up completely new brigade-sized formations, and ideally those formations will be armored and mechanized. Light infantry with great artillery is great, but combined arms is still superior.

Ynglaur fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jun 9, 2022

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Crude oil was also selling at an insane discount, even before EU oil sanctions were announced. It still raked them money, but double digit % below what the nominal price would’ve implied.

Also, that’s a load-bearing “crumble” right there. What specifically do you mean with the word, to avoid another round of circular arguments?

Lastly, at a risk of repeating myself, here’s the official line of Russian government, stating on April 18 that “the Russian economy is expected to enter a period of “active structural transformation” around the end of the 2nd quarter - start of the 3rd quarter of the current year.” https://www.vedomosti.ru/finance/ne...urnih-izmenenii

I was originally responding to this

Shooting Blanks posted:

It can be difficult to comprehend how long it takes sanctions to go from Announced -> Enacted -> Effective. But once that train gets rolling, holy poo poo will it be hard to stop.

I've had nearly 40 years of media blasting the effectiveness of sanctions toppling governments and the only evidence of that occurring is......I don't know....is Libya deciding to change their policy regarding WMDs by giving them up and then getting invaded right after.

I remember taking grad school lessons from ppl in the Justice Dept talking about how pinpoint sanctions on select govt officials can induce governmental changes abroad in 2008 and it just seems like a policy that has never shown its effectiveness.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Ola posted:

My god, I'm still waiting for my ID.4 software update from a year ago.

With all these excuses you get the feeling the unofficial-official German position is "do nothing for as long as possible" which is, y'know, kind of a dick move.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

So the wife and I watched "The Man in the High Castleto" Amazon and it posits a universe where the Nazi's won the war, partly due to the Nazi's developing an Atomic Bomb (named the Heisenberg device.)

This caused me to do some research on what Werner Heisenberg got up to during WW2.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Werner_Heisenberg

Basically he didn't think Atomic Weapons could be produced during the second World War without a massive influx of time and resources. Instead he advocated for developing nuclear power and that it would be able to power an army of vehicles, ships and subs for the Nazi's.

So basically the electrical car, being charged by nuclear power plants.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Kchama posted:

So the thing is, money is not able to solve all problems. My reply was in response to "Oh they'll just use their money to build all the stuff they import now." That is not a matter of having money. That is the matter of having expertise and equipment, which also require their own expertise and equipment. And Russia doesn't have either sets of expertise or equipment. This will impact everything, especially their warfighting ability. I believe their industry right now can only service 50% of their society's needs, and they imported the rest. Which is fine, until you piss off the rest of the world to the point that they refuse to sell you what you need. They likely can eventually service the other 50%, but that's going to take a lot of time to do and the quality of that isn't likely going to be nearly as good as Russia is use to for a long time.

EDIT: Like, here's a way to think of it. Say you want to build a house. Yours burned down in a fire. You don't know how to build a house yourself, nor do you have any tools. You probably have the raw materials, at least. You have a friend who graciously gives you a lot of money for the rocks you give him. But all the stores refuse to sell to you for whatever reason. You also aren't allowed into the library. As a result, that money isn't doing you a lot of good when it comes to building the house. You could probably build a house, but it would likely be an extremely low-quality one that is nothing like the nice one you use to have. It would also take a much longer time to build than that nice one you had earlier, if you had the tools and knowledge. Plus, in the meantime, you have no where to live.

That's the situation Russia finds itself in.

Is Russia turning to China a point against all this? Like the only way to see what occurs is to wait and see but I feel like emphasis and high expectations on the effectiveness of sanctions is relying on a West aligned view of the world and perhaps an undue overestimation of their role in the world economy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

The Question IRL posted:

So the wife and I watched "The Man in the High Castleto" Amazon and it posits a universe where the Nazi's won the war, partly due to the Nazi's developing an Atomic Bomb (named the Heisenberg device.)

This caused me to do some research on what Werner Heisenberg got up to during WW2.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Werner_Heisenberg

Basically he didn't think Atomic Weapons could be produced during the second World War without a massive influx of time and resources. Instead he advocated for developing nuclear power and that it would be able to power an army of vehicles, ships and subs for the Nazi's.

So basically the electrical car, being charged by nuclear power plants.

Yeah but even then Heisenberg was going about the very fundamentals the wrong way, largely because they didn't have the benefit of people like Frisch, Meitner, Fermi, Bohr, Joliot-Curie, Einstein, etc. They purposefully rejected key parts of nuclear science because it wasn't 'Aryan' enough or came from Jewish scientists.

There's some theories Heisenberg prevented Germany from gaining nuclear weapons on purpose but that's not been proven in any way. It is notable that after capturing the German nuclear scientists and after the bombs were dropped, they 'leaked' the details to the captured scientists and they roughly deduced how the weapon likely worked. It was never that nuclear weapons would be difficult to make, more that getting the materials required making leaps and bounds in producing, extracting, handling, manufacturing, and testing the required components.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jun 9, 2022

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

I have to imagine that this is going to be an absolutely massive block to resuming agricultural operations right? Even if you clear the UXO, chemicals and shards have to be a major concern.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Shageletic posted:

I was originally responding to this

I've had nearly 40 years of media blasting the effectiveness of sanctions toppling governments and the only evidence of that occurring is......I don't know....is Libya deciding to change their policy regarding WMDs by giving them up and then getting invaded right after.

I remember taking grad school lessons from ppl in the Justice Dept talking about how pinpoint sanctions on select govt officials can induce governmental changes abroad in 2008 and it just seems like a policy that has never shown its effectiveness.

I don't think anyone here is seriously expecting sanctions to effect government change, though, nor is the guy you were quoting arguing that as far as I can see.

What they ARE expecting is that sanctions can nuke the Russian economy, which as far as we can tell IS happening. The intended side effect is that this includes their war economy and ability to supply and rearm forces in the field, thus contributing meaningfully to military defeat. This hasn't got much to do with regime change and has notably more limited (and thus achievable) goals.

Edit:

Shageletic posted:

Is Russia turning to China a point against all this? Like the only way to see what occurs is to wait and see but I feel like emphasis and high expectations on the effectiveness of sanctions is relying on a West aligned view of the world and perhaps an undue overestimation of their role in the world economy.

Funny you should say that when this just cropped up on this here page:

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

JerikTelorian posted:

I have to imagine that this is going to be an absolutely massive block to resuming agricultural operations right? Even if you clear the UXO, chemicals and shards have to be a major concern.

Shrapnel is just going to get plowed out with the rocks, it's annoying but not really an issue, and depends on the chemicals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Tomn posted:

I don't think anyone here is seriously expecting sanctions to effect government change, though, nor is the guy you were quoting arguing that as far as I can see.

What they ARE expecting is that sanctions can nuke the Russian economy, which as far as we can tell IS happening. The intended side effect is that this includes their war economy and ability to supply and rearm forces in the field, thus contributing meaningfully to military defeat. This hasn't got much to do with regime change and has notably more limited (and thus achievable) goals.

Edit:

Funny you should say that when this just cropped up on this here page:

Okay then my sensitivity might be due to previous claims unrelated to this conflict then. I'm still looking for more evidence that western sanctions can cripple Russian military forces to that extent but I'll freely admit the last few decades hosed me up to an extent so lets wait and see I guess. Time being the only judge and all