Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

MassRafTer posted:

Hogan and Hart only wrestled on two WCW house shows as an emergency replacement. I think both were in California.

He had some good matches with Flair. The Havoc 94 match is probably the best. One of the Vader matches is pretty good too. The Goldberg match is also the best poo poo ever.

Hart and Hogan had a house show match in Pensacola, FL and tbh it was REALLY loving good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

EdsTeioh posted:

Hart and Hogan had a house show match in Pensacola, FL and tbh it was REALLY loving good.

Looks like there were 5 house show matches during that run. My mistake.

(And a Nitro match that I remember not really being a match so I wouldn't count it.)

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Dr. Quarex posted:

I remember the first time Nash defended his actions by saying "someone had to break the streak" I thought to myself "I feel like Goldberg basically won the title and then Nash beat him immediately," and if that was seriously all his big-time defenses then that pretty much confirms it. I guess by 1998 standards having three title defenses was not that short, but uh, yeah, he probably should have beaten someone besides DDP who had actually held the belt before. Wait and DDP had not held it yet, ugh
Nash is the smartest guy in wrestling, I'm happy he was able to buy a nice family house in the neighbourhood he grew up in and all the somas he could eat etc etc etc

but he also worked to poison the well and poo poo up the product week after week so he can gently caress off to his guest bedroom for all I care

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Maybe this is an age thing but I've never actually known/understood what the gently caress a soma is, I only ever hear about them in the context of specifically 90s wrestlers

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Alaois posted:

Maybe this is an age thing but I've never actually known/understood what the gently caress a soma is, I only ever hear about them in the context of specifically 90s wrestlers

easily obtained until very recently muscle relaxer

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Back in the 90's it felt like every adult I knew was on the things.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

There's even a game on Steam about it.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

It's the big cure-all in the SMT series.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I thought it was a fictional drug from Brave New World until I learned that it was nonfictional too

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Penguin Patrol posted:

I thought it was a fictional drug from Brave New World until I learned that it was nonfictional too

I knew it was a real world thing, but I thought it was a slang name for some sort of street drug because why the gently caress would a real company name their product soma?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Ive been watching the old Nitros and I'm around May 96 right now. What the hell is with all the wrestlers wrestling twice in a night? I feel like it's every other Nitro and some PPVs. They had the roster for that not to happen right? I feel like WWE always treated it as a big disadvantage when it happened but WCW has it all the time.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Ive been watching the old Nitros and I'm around May 96 right now. What the hell is with all the wrestlers wrestling twice in a night? I feel like it's every other Nitro and some PPVs. They had the roster for that not to happen right? I feel like WWE always treated it as a big disadvantage when it happened but WCW has it all the time.

WCW wrestlers were stronger

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Must be all the southern food in Atlanta.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

LionYeti posted:

Checking into NJPW for Dominion and the G1. I just don't have time to keep up with it all the time. What are some outstanding matches between WK/New Years Dash and Dominion that I should go out of my way to watch?

DOUKI vs Taichi, TAKATaichi Mania 3
El Lindaman vs El Desperado, BOSJ
Robbie Eagles vs El Phantasmo, BOSJ

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

MassRafTer posted:

Looks like there were 5 house show matches during that run. My mistake.

(And a Nitro match that I remember not really being a match so I wouldn't count it.)

I don't know if any of the matches were announced or promoted on that house show loop. In fact, I don't think ANY matches were announced for that one and it was just like "come see 'rasslin at the civic center; all your favorites!" I don't think Hogan OR Hart were announced as appearing. Now that I think about it, it seems pretty par for the course for WCW around that time. We were able to score ringside seats pretty easily, too.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Has a match where the hair or masks of both competitors is on the line ended in a draw or inconclusively? And if so, what would the consequences be?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

fez_machine posted:

Emi Sakura started an after-school exercise program called "Action Gymnastics" which was basic safe wrestling moves on mats that were no more intense than what you'd get in a kid's gymnastics or karate/judo class and the emphasis was on not getting hurt. They were apparently very popular (Riho came from the very first class) and formed the basis of the Joshi style people now call Sakuraism.

She talks about it in this video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNB12SKLa5U

You can see elements of it in Emi's free wrestling classes for fun and exercise program for women that Mei Suruga now organises, DareJo.

There's videos of it on Mei's Instagram if you look at saved stories: https://www.instagram.com/mei_gtmv/?hl=en (Lulu Pencil executes a very clean dropkick in one)

and on the DareJyo twitter account: https://twitter.com/darejyo1

if anyone wants to see what a full DareJyo session is like, one is streaming to the public now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00j-m-Si96o

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

MassRafTer posted:

I looked it up and you probably don't remember it because it was barely a match:

Hogan opened the show saying that all of the brothers and sisters in the hood told Big Wood to slaughter both Bret Hart and Sting tonight. Despite Hart having an injured knee, he valiantly agreed to the match. It lasted like three minutes and was just Hogan working over Hart's knee until Sting and the Wolfpac come down and Sting gets them to throw the match out, he'll wrestle Hogan instead.

Then of course the EMTs attending to Bret Hart's knee are actually Buff Bagwell and Scott Steiner and they lay out Luger and Konnan. Bagwell, Steiner, and Hart (now uninjured, it was a SWERVE) come down and join Hogan in beating down Sting for the second no contest of the main event.

It's not a match, and it's not quite convoluted enough to even register as a terrible main event in Nitro history.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Is that the one where they were finally building up Bret as a big babyface for weeks beforehand only to do a SWERVE?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, and actually doing a good job with it. Like people gave a poo poo about Bret for the first time since he showed up in WCW.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

edogawa rando posted:

Has a match where the hair or masks of both competitors is on the line ended in a draw or inconclusively? And if so, what would the consequences be?

Yes. First one that comes to mind is Negro Casas vs Blue Panther which ended in a draw. Both had their head shaved.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

How would a wrestler go about negotiating their contract? You can’t do accomplishments like titles won, etc since that is based on the booker. Would you base things on how high your quarters are on tv or the amount of ppv buy rates if you are listed as the main event?

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

TV Zombie posted:

How would a wrestler go about negotiating their contract? You can’t do accomplishments like titles won, etc since that is based on the booker. Would you base things on how high your quarters are on tv or the amount of ppv buy rates if you are listed as the main event?

Yeah, I'd think so. Merch sales, social media numbers, etc, aswell.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

TV Zombie posted:

Depending on what titles, you can probably use those to your advantage, depending on how prestigious the belt is. Sort of a 'this promotion gave me that title to hold for a year, that's how much I was worth to them' sort of thing.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

merch numbers also help

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Unless you're Brock and Roman where your negotiation is "gently caress you I'll show up when I feel like it" and Vince has to say yes because he dosn't have anyone else

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

TV Zombie posted:

Hey, you know what would be great? Collective bargaining by wrestlers with industry standard minimum pay/gate percentage, with mandatory health and travel insurance and coverage.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

edogawa rando posted:

Hey, you know what would be great? Collective bargaining by wrestlers with industry standard minimum pay/gate percentage, with mandatory health and travel insurance and coverage.

ya. they should get started on that.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

STONE COLD 64 posted:

ya. they should get started on that.

"You talking about a union, brother?"

He said, Hoganishly

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

edogawa rando posted:

We should see if Jesse Ventura can take a break from obsessing over conspiracy theories and give it another shot.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i agree

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

It just seems a bit unfair when quarters are dependent on the booker putting you on tv, buy rates depends on the booker booking you, merch usually having to be approved by and mass produced/ distributed by the booker/owner for people to buy. How does social media engagement transfer to money for the company? There is very little agency for the wrestler to positively affect their contract negotiations.

I know that all this is obvious for a lot, but it struck me when thinking about Cesaro and baseless talk about him in contract talks. He’s an outstanding wrestler who should get handsomely paid but due to performance metrics like the ones listed above, he should get a jobbers contract.

I know meltdown may was in may but I had to get this off my chest.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

TV Zombie posted:

It just seems a bit unfair when quarters are dependent on the booker putting you on tv, buy rates depends on the booker booking you, merch usually having to be approved by and mass produced/ distributed by the booker/owner for people to buy. How does social media engagement transfer to money for the company? There is very little agency for the wrestler to positively affect their contract negotiations.

I know that all this is obvious for a lot, but it struck me when thinking about Cesaro and baseless talk about him in contract talks. He’s an outstanding wrestler who should get handsomely paid but due to performance metrics like the ones listed above, he should get a jobbers contract.

This is true but also not that unlike any other job. Which says a lot about how work functions in our society. You could be the best sous chef in the world but if I won't let you get off slicing onions in bulk, welp, your boss is gonna pay you like an onion slicer.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Do Backlund's matches with Bret hold up? It's one of the first bits of wrestling I can remember watching and I absolutely loved it.

Alternatively, was anybody else terrified of this crazy old man shrieking as he tortured people with the Crossface Chicken Wing?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

His heel gimmick was good and got him over with a crowd that did not care for him at first but his matches were not good and the stuff with Brett also got held back by gimmicks that really didn't work

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
It's not a popular opinion but I quite like the Survivor Series match. The main problem is that it goes on for way too long and relies on the acting of Owen, Stu and Helen and they're... passable at best. Owen isn't bad but Helen is awful. If it was cut down by half or even 3/4 I think it would be remembered much more fondly.

The Wrestlemania match is terrible, probably a contender for Bret's worst televised WWF match (not counting his 2010 run)? It's like the two had no idea how to work with the gimmick (baffling in Bret's case as he was usually quite creative in such circumstances) and it lost the crowd so quickly that Piper just started milking it for comedy.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Why the hell did they put that brilliant Bret vs Owen No Holds Barred on the go home Raw for WrestleMania 11 instead of just sticking it on the PPV? Instead we got that awful awful Backlund stuff.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
WHADDAYASAY?!

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Why the hell did they put that brilliant Bret vs Owen No Holds Barred on the go home Raw for WrestleMania 11 instead of just sticking it on the PPV? Instead we got that awful awful Backlund stuff.

Maybe if I watched the matches now I'd feel different, but when I was a kid it was a loving bummer watching my favorite wrestler be trapped in feuds with boring old men like Backlund and Lawler.

That, plus his dumb family being involved in everything.

I just wanted to watch the Hitman out wrestle everyone and be champion. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

1glitch0 posted:

Maybe if I watched the matches now I'd feel different, but when I was a kid it was a loving bummer watching my favorite wrestler be trapped in feuds with boring old men like Backlund and Lawler.

That, plus his dumb family being involved in everything.

I just wanted to watch the Hitman out wrestle everyone and be champion. :(

Bret does have some pretty good matches in 95: Diesel, Undertaker (technically '96 but yeah), Hakushi and especially that Bulldog match from Season's Beatings. But yeah I agree, Backlund, Lawler and PCO as a pirate were just pointless busywork while Vince tried to get Diesel over as a moneymaking champion.