Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Super Waffle posted:

Dumb thing my work does: block Something Awful!

Dumber thing my work does: full admin rights on my laptop allowing my to install a VPN so I can post on company time!

My last job blocked SA and imgur but not Reddit, all videogame stuff but not sports. It made it really easy to figure out what the executives liked to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Super Waffle posted:

Dumber thing my work does: full admin rights on my laptop allowing my to install a VPN so I can post on company time!

specifically or just along with a bunch of other stuff to waste time with at work?

Anyway lol :justpost:

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?

Escape From Noise posted:

There's a plan to make an imperial stout in September or so it's done around December/January. In the meeting we had, the boss wanted to know what we could add. Coffee and cacao were too "obvious" so I find myself trying to head poo poo off at the pass before I'm asked to make a peanut butter, marshmallow, vanilla, fruit, etc. imperial stout. Pitched smoked honey since the restaurant has a smoker. Why does poo poo have to be so loving extra every time?

Have your bosses ever considered the best selling beers (in US at least) don't tend to be the crazy ones. A simple pilsner sells all day long, as does a simple IPA.

Although, smores imperial stouts are good.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

Blue Footed Booby posted:

My last job blocked SA and imgur but not Reddit, all videogame stuff but not sports. It made it really easy to figure out what the executives liked to do.

Hospitals seem to also do this, SA was blocked for "questionable content" but Reddit was wide open. I figured it was the IT department, as the C-suite is always full of ex nurses and olds.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Add more malt and call it a day imo.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Super Waffle posted:

I’ve never tried to access the forums from a company computer/network. I’m not an expert but that would be a tough to explain browser history especially if people are posting shock images again.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

My company tried to block Youtube and my boss raised a tremendous stick because we use it to watch tutorials on all the dumb poo poo other teams expect us to do because they just don't want to (like how to replace light bulbs in the 6 different models of projectors we have in the conference rooms).

Youtube is no longer blocked.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Pyrtanis posted:

Hospitals seem to also do this, SA was blocked for "questionable content" but Reddit was wide open. I figured it was the IT department, as the C-suite is always full of ex nurses and olds.

Airports do the same thing. I've seen SA blocked on airport wifi for "drugs" "weapons" "terrorism" (lol) "obscene content" and I'm sure others but that's what I've got off the top of my head.

Meanwhile i would be able to go to dedicated gun forums and reddit seemed to be wide open.

I suspect that SA got on some block list back in the early 00s and that everyone just recycles the same list of naughty websites. If it's even semi-obscure (like a forum for people collecting WW2 rifles) or mainstream as gently caress (reddit) you'll see the filters hit it less often.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I have met 0 filters looking for sex toys and genital piercing tools (they all count as medical devices), but lots of filters looking for cricket statistics.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
A hundred years ago I was contracted onto a minesite and had a lot of downtime waiting for poo poo to happen. The clients IT guy pulled me up for browsing cracked.com. Super concerned I was trying to hack the company's mainframe or something "Why are you looking up hacking sites?". I explained it was a news aggregator sort of site and had nothing to do with hacking. Still dubious. It's a dumb website with BuzzFeed-type lists of pop culture bullshit.

Reinforced my long-standing belief that anyone who works onsite for a mining company is dumber than dry mud and has given up their ability for critical thought in exchange for an idiot deskjob filling out paperwork.

This is how it usually goes: Work for consultancy -> Learn how to think and be competent and do a wide range of interesting poo poo -> get sick of the hours and crap pay -> go work for the client for a 50% pay bump -> never think again. If thinking is required hire a consultant

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
My company unblocked Reddit like 5 years ago because someone posted a nice story about us and they wanted everyone to read it. As far as I know it's still unblocked.

Also they unblocked YouTube so management can play stupid motivational videos in all hands meetings.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

goatface posted:

I have met 0 filters looking for sex toys and genital piercing tools (they all count as medical devices), but lots of filters looking for cricket statistics.

Tell me your IT department is from Lancashire without telling me your IT department is from Lancashire

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

Outrail posted:

This is how it usually goes: Work for consultancy -> Learn how to think and be competent and do a wide range of interesting poo poo -> get sick of the hours and crap pay -> go work for the client for a 50% pay bump -> never think again. If thinking is required hire a consultant

As someone who got pulled into consulting right out of school, I'm looking to do this and I'm glad it sounds like a thing.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Reddit and YouTube are integral parts of corporate IT self service and training.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Boss makes a dollar, I make a dime.

That's why I self service, on company time.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

TheSpartacus posted:

Have your bosses ever considered the best selling beers (in US at least) don't tend to be the crazy ones. A simple pilsner sells all day long, as does a simple IPA.

Although, smores imperial stouts are good.

Yeah. I don't think they get it although the "do crazy poo poo" directive has slowed down a bit. I think doing experimental stuff every so often is a good idea, but you definitely need your bread and butter beers. We'll see. I also just hate pastry stouts and lactose beers in general. I'll do what I'm asked, but with something like an imperial stout that's so much time and effort, I'd like to make something less crazy.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Target Practice posted:

As someone who got pulled into consulting right out of school, I'm looking to do this and I'm glad it sounds like a thing.
And have consequences? gently caress that.

Our ethical hour tracking rules are actually starting to bite so now when shitheads try to do more with less and get around it by telling juniors to work 72 hours and bill 40 the juniors are billing 72 and the shitheads are on the hook for selling things wrong. I've consistently worked less than my client counterparts for a couple years now.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Yeah. I don't think they get it although the "do crazy poo poo" directive has slowed down a bit. I think doing experimental stuff every so often is a good idea, but you definitely need your bread and butter beers. We'll see. I also just hate pastry stouts and lactose beers in general. I'll do what I'm asked, but with something like an imperial stout that's so much time and effort, I'd like to make something less crazy.

What's the go-to beer for your average Japanese person eating in a restaurant? Why not just make one of those as your "house special" and then have some more unique stuff on tap for the more adventurous people?

I'm just a humble beer drinker but that seems to be what every microbrewery in the US does. Each one will have their little thing or specialty, but they've all got some variation of a pilsner and some take on an IPA for someone to downshift to who isn't all about their main theme.

edit: to be clear, I'm curious what your boss' stated reason for not doing this is. This is kind of obvious and I assume that the galaxy brained idea of "why not make beer that is locally popular" already occurred to you

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

bread and butter beers

Don't phrase it like this, you'll give them ideas

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Outrail posted:

What the gently caress does 'abnormal ejaculation' actually mean? Are you spraying goldfish all over your partner or something?

Wait, is that not normal?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

I remember being super petty at my old MSP job a few years back with a client who'd routinely not answer his phone or get back to us on important projects & other info. I started checking logs on the firewall & any filtering apps, sure enough this loving clown was spending at least half his day on different sports websites, golf sites & YouTube watching all this random crap. The main reason was because we started getting bitched at by him regarding projects that were delayed & he kept going to our bosses poo poo-talking us & acting like we weren't trying to help.

So I blocked all his precious sports sites & watched him melt down. First I'd only do it if we were waiting on something from him & he hadn't replied in several days. Then I started doing it EVERY time we needed info & had a deadline, playing dumb & acting like I didn't know what changed, before a segue into asking for the poo poo I needed. Once I got everything, I'd wait anywhere from a few hours to a couple days to reinstate his precious sites just to gently caress with him. Fortunately he never caught on, I know my teammates knew & my boss probably did too, but by that point I was so checked out I didn't care & was tired of being stonewalled by some rear end in a top hat with Chief in his job title.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Outrail posted:

What the gently caress does 'abnormal ejaculation' actually mean? Are you spraying goldfish all over your partner or something?

It goes up into your bladder instead of out of your urethra.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

What's the go-to beer for your average Japanese person eating in a restaurant? Why not just make one of those as your "house special" and then have some more unique stuff on tap for the more adventurous people?

I'm just a humble beer drinker but that seems to be what every microbrewery in the US does. Each one will have their little thing or specialty, but they've all got some variation of a pilsner and some take on an IPA for someone to downshift to who isn't all about their main theme.

edit: to be clear, I'm curious what your boss' stated reason for not doing this is. This is kind of obvious and I assume that the galaxy brained idea of "why not make beer that is locally popular" already occurred to you

Yeah. That's what I'm pushing for. We're smaller, so stuff like pale ale makes the most sense, and that's sold well in the past. I guess I also just get frustrated when I suggest doing something and they ask about the style them start pitching random poo poo to throw in it. I've been pushing some more conventional stuff but they sorta want to shoehorn in random adjuncts sometimes. It's just that classic situation of owners/managers who don't understand beer and see the crazy poo poo that sells, but not realizing what that takes and that it's not the standard.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

zedprime posted:

And have consequences? gently caress that.

I feel like I have way more consequences than my clients do, but baybe that's because I don't see anything before or after my involvement.

My clients give me lovely information to develop scopes and budgets, have no idea what they even want or need, don't care what our design or engineering efforts say, and it's a bitch to get paid. Maybe I don't understand the business but consulting sucks.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I remember being super petty at my old MSP job a few years back with a client who'd routinely not answer his phone or get back to us on important projects & other info. I started checking logs on the firewall & any filtering apps, sure enough this loving clown was spending at least half his day on different sports websites, golf sites & YouTube watching all this random crap. The main reason was because we started getting bitched at by him regarding projects that were delayed & he kept going to our bosses poo poo-talking us & acting like we weren't trying to help.

So I blocked all his precious sports sites & watched him melt down. First I'd only do it if we were waiting on something from him & he hadn't replied in several days. Then I started doing it EVERY time we needed info & had a deadline, playing dumb & acting like I didn't know what changed, before a segue into asking for the poo poo I needed. Once I got everything, I'd wait anywhere from a few hours to a couple days to reinstate his precious sites just to gently caress with him. Fortunately he never caught on, I know my teammates knew & my boss probably did too, but by that point I was so checked out I didn't care & was tired of being stonewalled by some rear end in a top hat with Chief in his job title.

Lol that owns

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Don't phrase it like this, you'll give them ideas

Lol. The place I worked at for four months had me make a bread beer once. On the brew day me and the other brewer came in assuming the other knew what that meant. We had to go over group Line messages from one of the seven (?) company group chats and all we could find was it was supposed to be made with the weissen base. So we made weissen and chucked in a loaf of white bread from the Lawson across the street. That place was such a shitshow and the owner actively hosed up our processes so much that neither of us gave a poo poo. I'm sure it tasted like poo poo, but it wasn't like the regular beers we made were likely to be noticably better.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

As someone who likes stouts, I don't like the crazy ones some companies put out. At least to me, playing safe with a stout seems best, get some coffee and chocolate in there and call it a day. Then age it in bourbon barrels for awhile.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Yeah, if we could do barrel aging that'd be rad. I'm with you. I don't even like milk stouts. I'm worried if I don't come up with something somewhat creative though they'll go to Google and see the kind of stuff Omnipollo, Brewski, Weldworks, etc. put out and I'll soon be making a suntan lotion and peanut butter sandwich stout.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
Today is my last day of work at this company and the HR lady asked me how I'd like to do my exit interview, in person or over the phone. I opted to do it over the phone because it sounded easier, and I'm glad I did because the HR lady informed me that she has Covid. Oh, and she's at the office and has been walking around the building without a mask. I wear an N95 at the office and work alone so I'm not worried but holy loving poo poo just get me out of here already.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

JFC

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Target Practice posted:

I feel like I have way more consequences than my clients do, but baybe that's because I don't see anything before or after my involvement.

My clients give me lovely information to develop scopes and budgets, have no idea what they even want or need, don't care what our design or engineering efforts say, and it's a bitch to get paid. Maybe I don't understand the business but consulting sucks.
Consequences cycle in different ways for consultants but your engagement cycle always tends to be shorter than your promotion or job change cycle on the other side. Like on a 2 year engagement, my decisions haunt me for 2 years, the product is delivered and by year 3 I have used the clout from there to be doing something entirely unrelated and by year 5 people have forgotten what even happened 5 years ago. Meanwhile my counterpart is living life entirely predicated in those 2 years for the next 15 years.

It's almost a feature of consulting that they are brought in to make 15 year decisions while living under only days, months, or years of scrutiny. You're paying for the privelige of an unhinged coke head to call shots that don't remotely involve them. Otherwise you're just hiring temps or temps-to-hire.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

My wife's boss hired a consultant to tell him something that literally everyone on the team already told him. (But he didn't want to hear.)

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Cheese Danish Stout
Orange Marshmallow Peep Stout
Smoked Pulled Pork Stout
Septuple Hopped IPA
Zero Carb Pilsner
Salmon Doppelbock

And I dunno, the usual boring/cheap/easy beers everyone always buys 4 pitchers of on game night.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
You should do a milk stout with chocolate and a hint of orange and also no fermentation or barley but use actual milk and maybe blend it with some icecream and baileys and serve it really cold.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Outrail posted:

You should do a milk stout with chocolate and a hint of orange and also no fermentation or barley but use actual milk and maybe blend it with some icecream and baileys and serve it really cold.

A milk stout that you can dip some Thin Mints into? I’d drink it.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
do oatmeal stouts, there was one summer where a store near me had a bunch of oatmeal stouts it it was great, and then the style disspeared from my local places.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

McGavin posted:

My wife's boss hired a consultant to tell him something that literally everyone on the team already told him. (But he didn't want to hear.)

The rare good consultant

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, usually the consultant's job is to tell him what he wanted to hear.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Barudak posted:

The rare good consultant

The really dumb poo poo is that the consultant is close friends with the CEO and now her boss's job is in trouble, because in addition to wasting money by not doing the obvious thing that everyone told him to do, he wasted even more money by hiring a consultant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

McGavin posted:

The really dumb poo poo is that the consultant is close friends with the CEO and now her boss's job is in trouble, because in addition to wasting money by not doing the obvious thing that everyone told him to do, he wasted even more money by hiring a consultant.

:blessed: