Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Polgas posted:

Does anyone have a recommended history of china book for beginners?

I have a family member that's in that phase where they're getting into reading a lot of books for the first time and I asked him what kind of book would he like as a gift.

I'm asking because it's been a while since I read those kinds of books that compress a lot of info into one or a few books so i'm not up to date. Also if possible something that doesn't portray mao as mega hitler because I've noticed some of the books i've read go off the deep end once it talks about historical events after the October revolution.

https://foreignlanguages.press/new-roads/from-victory-to-defeat-pao-yu-ching/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker

nigel thornberry posted:

oh he didn’t need that level of care? I guess nobody else did?

lmaoo this is a bit right? Americans haven’t changed their lives at all. we can’t even wear masks. americans spread covid everywhere and haven’t adapted to the virus in any way. as a result our healthcare system collapses every winter and millions are dead.

covid cannot be contained without a strong, Marxist-Leninist government. what China has done is incredible.

I mean, I’m not trying to compare Covid strategies here or declare somehow that americas healthcare system is not a pile of
poo poo for a myriad of reasons. but lol at there not being a middle ground between flagrant disregard of health and safety and literally corralling people so they are forced to live in squalid conditions for a couple of weeks without notice. come on.

nigel thornberry
Jul 29, 2013

CareyB posted:

I mean, I’m not trying to compare Covid strategies here or declare somehow that americas healthcare system is not a pile of
poo poo for a myriad of reasons. but lol at there not being a middle ground between flagrant disregard of health and safety and literally corralling people so they are forced to live in squalid conditions for a couple of weeks without notice. come on.

no you come on. there is no middle ground with covid 19. it’s either what China did, or mass death. you should address material reality and stop living in fantasy land

and the article clearly shows the conditions were not squalid. you’re continued bad faith argument that they were is supported only by the toilet situation. but I dare you to go to any popular American camp ground this weekend and show me public toilets that aren’t in just as bad a condition.

in fact, all things considered, the conditions in the lock down camps were astoundingly comfortable

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Polgas posted:

Does anyone have a recommended history of china book for beginners?

I have a family member that's in that phase where they're getting into reading a lot of books for the first time and I asked him what kind of book would he like as a gift.

I'm asking because it's been a while since I read those kinds of books that compress a lot of info into one or a few books so i'm not up to date. Also if possible something that doesn't portray mao as mega hitler because I've noticed some of the books i've read go off the deep end once it talks about historical events after the October revolution.

If you want 1 book that cover china history it will barely mention Mao.

My go to recommendation is Harvard's china series on edX.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
yeah there are thousands of years of chinese history so you're going to have to be a little more specific lol

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

CareyB posted:

did you read the bit where he says how he clearly didn’t need that level of care?

people in “the west” changed their lives and behaviour immeasurably to help prevent the spread of Covid, I’m not sure if we need the government to start rounding up the citizenry and forcing us to live in camps or enclosures in the name of care.

I feel the mental risks associated with that are greater than just isolating like a responsible adult. but that’s just me, I don’t want to forced to live sleep and poo poo around a bunch of compete strangers when we’re all Ill.

It would be super cool if people isolated themselves when they got COVID or respected social distancing guidelines. That would be a cool world to live in.

Except that never happened

nigel thornberry
Jul 29, 2013

in an alternate universe, america locks down China style. instead of bento boxes, everyone has multiple jimmy john sandwiches.

the toilets…there are no words.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Telluric Whistler posted:

It would be super cool if people isolated themselves when they got COVID or respected social distancing guidelines. That would be a cool world to live in.

In some places it very briefly happened.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
it's just one grain of rice doubled every day for a month, how bad could it be?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

ikanreed posted:

In some places it very briefly happened.

Not really, even in the big cities that took covid the most seriously none of the working poor could afford to stay home one day so they didn't. The rich just outsourced all their shopping/food/whatever risk to these people and pretended they didn't exist while watching Tiger King. The exact same thing happened on the cruise boats back in the early days: zero protections for (mostly Filipino) workers in shared rooms, they are just here to serve the paying passengers, who gives a gently caress if they are othered into non-existence.

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

With one hand he saves gebs. With the other he commits goblin genocide. A true neutral.

stephenthinkpad posted:

If you want 1 book that cover china history it will barely mention Mao.

My go to recommendation is Harvard's china series on edX.

Oh I'd like the most up to date general history book. I mentioned mao because sometimes the general history i've heard or read just start dropping in quality when they reach the modern era.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Just get John Keay's China.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
from a quick glance, a history of chinese civilization by jacques gernet seems to be the ticket and roughly analogous to norman davis' europe: a history

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

none of you even read the article. its written by a chinese woman, who talks about growing up in china. The twitter post gives her credit explicitly - the story was just shared by a profile with a white guy in the photo. You saw a white face and felt you didn't even need to read it, the twitter post or the article!! so shut the gently caress up about it!

By Serenitie Wang, CNN posted:

That's when something deep inside me stirred: memories of the communal living experiences I'd had as a child growing up in China.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Polgas posted:

Oh I'd like the most up to date general history book. I mentioned mao because sometimes the general history i've heard or read just start dropping in quality when they reach the modern era.

The historians views on Mao are not that polarized anyway, both inside and outside of China.

nigel thornberry
Jul 29, 2013

Antonymous posted:

none of you even read the article. its written by a chinese woman, who talks about growing up in china. The twitter post gives her credit explicitly - the story was just shared by a profile with a white guy in the photo. You saw a white face and felt you didn't even need to read it, the twitter post or the article!! so shut the gently caress up about it!

you’re a loving moron I was talking about the guy she discussed meeting, mr. sun. learn to read rear end in a top hat

e: besides why does it even matter? this is the most lib poo poo possible. “oh I’m gonna get hung up accusing you of misgendering someone but not address anything substantive you said.” it doesn’t matter what race or gender the author is, the point is the conditions were not that bad.

seriously go gently caress yourself lib

nigel thornberry has issued a correction as of 18:29 on Jun 19, 2022

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

CareyB posted:

did you read the bit where he says how he clearly didn’t need that level of care?

people in “the west” changed their lives and behaviour immeasurably to help prevent the spread of Covid, I’m not sure if we need the government to start rounding up the citizenry and forcing us to live in camps or enclosures in the name of care.

I feel the mental risks associated with that are greater than just isolating like a responsible adult. but that’s just me, I don’t want to forced to live sleep and poo poo around a bunch of compete strangers when we’re all Ill.

This is one of the most breathtakingly stupid and ignorant posts I have ever seen in my entire posting career, very impressive!

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Telluric Whistler posted:

the only thing the west has changed was stopping public testing, stop reporting covid numbers, and changing the metrics so the numbers don't look as bad lol

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Antonymous posted:

i read the article, you're a moron.

do you think that maybe her likely minimal adult life and career in china as a CNN correspondent would colour her commentary despite her birth in shanghai? do you think her ethnicity gives her super china observer powers like gordon chang? a few paragraphs in and it's pretty clear it's a hit piece, you absolute rube.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

lol western reporting on china today is going to look positively cuddly this time next year. The anglo media want blood and conflict at all costs.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

crepeface posted:

i read the article, you're a moron.

do you think that maybe her likely minimal adult life and career in china as a CNN correspondent would colour her commentary despite her birth in shanghai? do you think her ethnicity gives her super china observer powers like gordon chang? a few paragraphs in and it's pretty clear it's a hit piece, you absolute rube.

my point is not that her being chinese means poo poo. my point is you readily admit you only got a few paragraphs in and nobody here seems to have read the thing but wants to make a snarky comment.

I don't think it's great journalism, she focuses on her experience, and of course being quarantined in a makeshift medical facility is not going to be a 5 star hotel experience, and neglects how these things save lives. The broader social context of why this is happening, why there is a lockdown in shanghai.

the latter half of the writing, maybe if you did read it you'd claim its subversive, makes positive out of all of it. Remembering the value of communal living, no worries about getting groceries (shanghai was on lockdown this was a real problem), generous hot meals, a break from work etc. She mostly complains that the toilet situation was not good, and talks about how much she looked forward to getting out. that's a hit piece? Its a poo poo job for a hit piece if so

edit: and to be honest I do think speaking the language and living in china for some part of your life does boost your credibility, as does actually entering one of these fangcang while covid positive.

yeah she's bougie, writing for an upper middle class perspective, but so it goes with anyone involved in western journalism.

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 19:06 on Jun 19, 2022

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
i genuinely think we’re going back to 19th century ‘perfidious celestials’ levels of insane coverage soon thank goodness China can actually fight back and protect itself from the crazies in the west

nigel thornberry
Jul 29, 2013

Antonymous posted:

the latter half of the writing, maybe if you did read it you'd claim its subversive, makes positive out of all of it. Remembering the value of communal living, no worries about getting groceries (shanghai was on lockdown this was a real problem), a break from work etc. She mostly complains that the toilet situation was not good, and talks about how much she looked forward to getting out. that's a hit piece? Its a poo poo job for a hit piece if so

I can see why people think it’s a hit piece when people on Twitter are posting it as if it is an example of dystopian Shanghai lock down.

but you’re absolutely right. the latter half is a devastating take down of the propaganda that China’s lockdown camps were somehow squalid poo poo holes

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Antonymous posted:

my point is not that her being chinese means poo poo. my point is you readily admit you only got a few paragraphs in and nobody here seems to have read the thing but wants to make a snarky comment.

I don't think it's great journalism, she focuses on her experience, and of course being quarantined in a makeshift medical facility is not going to be a 5 star hotel experience, and neglects how these things save lives. The broader social context of why this is happening, why there is a lockdown in shanghai.

the latter half of the writing, maybe if you did read it you'd claim its subversive, makes positive out of all of it. Remembering the value of communal living, no worries about getting groceries (shanghai was on lockdown this was a real problem), generous hot meals, a break from work etc. She mostly complains that the toilet situation was not good, and talks about how much she looked forward to getting out. that's a hit piece? Its a poo poo job for a hit piece if so

1. i read it before

2. you're a moron

3. When I left a Covid-ravaged Hong Kong with 1/4th the Covid deaths of NYC, I was in search of a sanctuary.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

somebody post some trains to calm the boys down

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

I hate that individualist brain rot has destroyed the entire concept of quarantine in the West. When you have a sufficiently virulent, disabling, and lethal disease with no sterilizing vaccine then sometimes quarantine is essential to stop the spread.

Now liberals, conservatives, and libertarians have all agreed that quarantine is a fascist, dystopian, big brother, Illuminati designed form of hyper-oppression and should never be used again. Instead of quarantine we have suggested isolation. It doesn't work. It's total dogshit. Infected people ignore it and spread disease to their families, service workers, random people in hallways and streets, and co-workers like wildfire.

My point is this has become so culturally ingrained that the numbers don't even matter anymore. We could get a new disease that kills and disables at ten times the rate of COVID and people would still still violently rebel against quarantine on the grounds that it's too authoritarian.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CareyB posted:

lmfao thank you for this, i haven’t laughed this hard in weeks. gently caress that’s good :kiss:

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
changing our lives by refusing to wear masks or stop holding huge in person events, leading directly to millions dead and millions more disabled

#winning

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

crepeface posted:

1. i read it before

2. you're a moron

3. When I left a Covid-ravaged Hong Kong with 1/4th the Covid deaths of NYC, I was in search of a sanctuary.

maybe you are illiterate

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

(hong kong had the highest fatality rate in the world in march, when she left, she writes about it. She claims mainland is much safer, which is where she fled to, drat what a hit piece!!)

edit: hong kong is smaller than NYC but had around the same case per day peak as New York during its omicron wave the previous december. It had a higher sustained daily death count too, basically 10,000 deaths from that wave alone. Why should we care anyway, was she fleeing to new york city? did your smooth brain make some assumption she was comparing hong kong, which is to you a stand in for china I guess? to new york, which is your stand in for the west? how did you come to compare these two when she quite clearly said she wanted to go to shanghai, i.e. mainland, where it was safer.

I never said you called her a he, just that you like others didn't read the whole article. Are you actually illiterate? (its funny to ask on a text based forum lol)

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 19:56 on Jun 19, 2022

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
i know how to read between the lines and i never called her a he anyway so it's actually you that is illiterate?!?! and you somehow took umbrage with the fact that i thought that the iso food looked good!?!? you're a moron!?!?!?!?!?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
100% of the people i've surveyed (one) say that your posts are bad. incredible statistical vigour that should be taken in a vacuum and published in an article with 100000 other points about how you're a bad poster

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Tokyo Passes Law to Recognize Same-Sex Partnerships - The Tokyo metropolitan government on Wednesday adopted legislation recognizing same-sex partnerships, which will extend some rights that apply to married heterosexual couples.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i don't think the author actually believed shanghai was safer, that was just a post hoc rhetorical device to contrast with the experience described later. more likely she went to shanghai to be with family and then the outbreak spiraling out of control made for a more interesting narrative.

aside from the food the "positive" accounting of the experience reads like poor satire, which is where you get reposters in the media ouroboros calling it "darkly comic", etc. by the end it's clear she considered the whole thing a nightmare. maybe she genuinely thought better of her quarantine experience — i know people who've done quarantine on reentry to china who have said it provided them a sense of calm and routine — but that story isn't getting published at cnn without a hefty dose of irony to make it safe for western consumption.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Also, wasn't she in the facility for a little more than a week after she got sick? I mean it probably wasn't fun, but in the end, it is still a pandemic.

That said, I would still say an mRNA booster is going to be a game-changer. There is a certain point where the body does start adapting. I don't think the infection rate will significantly decrease but the ability for people to withstand the virus is going to be much better.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 22:30 on Jun 19, 2022

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

i genuinely think we’re going back to 19th century ‘perfidious celestials’ levels of insane coverage soon thank goodness China can actually fight back and protect itself from the crazies in the west

i've defended lost causes so long it's refreshing to have a real champion where i can just say

SorePotato posted:

Who cares loser, your spinning bowtie cannot lead me astray from Xi Jinping Thought. I live eternal in the people's heavenly army, while you, a CIA brain floating in a jar, are set to be replaced in two weeks

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/chenweihua/status/1538614687906119682

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

chen slayhua

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
lmao at posters unironically arguing that this person can't be a virulent anti-China shithead because she's one of the scores of Chinese women that white people running western media outlets pick to be the face of their propaganda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Throatwarbler posted:

lmao at posters unironically arguing that this person can't be a virulent anti-China shithead because she's one of the scores of Chinese women that white people running western media outlets pick to be the face of their propaganda

it’s a legit tactic, get a female Asian face to the article and you can’t attack without being labeled misogynistic or racist.