Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

dicks

i fixed it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

so you meet up and push in your Caldigits?

edit: jaegerx calling ME a dick, truly inspiring

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

i know this one, you use straight through cable to dock computers

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

tokin opposition posted:

i know this one, you use straight through cable to dock computers

He’s the usb c to my ps2 port

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

What the gently caress is going on in this thread

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

more like crossover cable am I rite

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

more like crossover cable am I rite

mods?

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Interview chat: had an interview a couple of weeks back for the role of 'Application manager'. Interview went well but I knew I was aiming a bit high. Got turned down but they asked if I felt like interviewing for the role of 'business analyst' which they thought would be a good fit for me. I did so we met on Friday. The interview was with the CIO and the ... Application Manager, who had come on board April 22nd. And yes, Application Manager is a singular role in their IT department.

I asked my recruter what was up with that. I feel like I've been catfished. It's a 45-minute drive one-way and I took PTO to do the 2 interviews. :(

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Got another teammate down with with the 'vid. :shepicide:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Farking Bastage posted:

Got another teammate down with with the 'vid. :shepicide:

b-b-b-but covid is over, we won!

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

No contact tracing no notifications as of today.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

My team did an onsite the week before last and a whole ton of people got COVID. Super happy about all that. And they gave me poo poo for not attending, bahahaha.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Farking Bastage posted:

Lol we gave up on contact tracing like last summer. We have to make economy numbers go up and contact tracing was stopping that!!!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Just spent 5 days in Vegas at Cisco Live. No covid yet.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

CLAM DOWN posted:

I am on day 7, have had tinnitus for the past 48 hours, and am roughly capable of 2 hours of work requiring effort a day

I really hope this tinnitus thing is just a causality of weird inner ear inflammation because uhhh holy poo poo I cannot deal with being kept up at 3:30am because my head is ringing so loud I can’t sleep ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I’m going to miss pride at this rate too :(

At least I got an interesting page last night and got to learn about syslog facility values

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

The Iron Rose posted:

I am on day 7, have had tinnitus for the past 48 hours, and am roughly capable of 2 hours of work requiring effort a day

I really hope this tinnitus thing is just a causality of weird inner ear inflammation because uhhh holy poo poo I cannot deal with being kept up at 3:30am because my head is ringing so loud I can’t sleep ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I’m going to miss pride at this rate too :(

At least I got an interesting page last night and got to learn about syslog facility values

Its always a good idea to see a doc over this eventually. tinnitus is caused by a few things and having an impacted ear to some degree is one of them. That won't go away when covid does. I am part of that % of the population that has to have fairly consistent ear irrigations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

*sigh*

I'm sorry to hear. You really shouldn't be on call. :(

I'm going to tell this story here, maybe it doesn't help you in this moment, maybe it'll help someone else, somewhere, sometime.

A good friend of mine who used to work for me got really sick one day. Really bad cold/flu. He's the type to just power through it. Kept going to work, kept working out hardcore. I kept telling him to go home, "no, no" - he's too macho. The dude ended up with a permanently damaged ear. Hearing loss, tinnitus, really bad vertigo. He would literally slam his hands down on his desk because he felt like the room flipped and he was falling.

Couldn't drive for quite some time. Couldn't hold his kids when they were born.

I've told a similar story here where a friend passed away, fairly young, due to a heart issue that I know for certain his work contributed to greatly. As in, if he hadn't been working like that, he'd still be here today.

Don't gently caress around with your health, especially not for work.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Farking Bastage posted:

I was pretty irate, when I had COVID, to discover that I could not self-report for purposes of contact tracing. I would have had to see a doctor, which given the severity of my symptoms, seemed absurd.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I have the impression that while the majority of the western world simply declared Covid to be over, nobody sent the memo to the poor virus. It just keeps on loving poo poo up, as one does, overtime sometimes.

This winter, odds are it will be brutal.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

When I had covid, back in march 2020, I sounded "not sick enough to warrant any special treatment or a trip to the hospital" according to my doctor. She apparently figured that out from a phonecall.

No testing and no contact tracing either :downs:

Still dealing with aftereffects 2+ years later :smith:

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Sickening posted:

Its always a good idea to see a doc over this eventually. tinnitus is caused by a few things and having an impacted ear to some degree is one of them. That won't go away when covid does. I am part of that % of the population that has to have fairly consistent ear irrigations.

I've had tinnitus for as long as I can remember. You get used to it after a while, but quiet rooms are hard for me. I need some kind of noise to compete with the constant ringing in my ears. I simply cannot sleep without music playing either.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Not to worry friends, called my doctor and was told to wait and see and take cold meds :v:

I kept oncall over the weekend since nobody is doing deployments, it’s relatively quiet, and I traded with a guy so he could enjoy his birthday weekend.

I am absolutely not capable of handling oncall when people are actually doing work and I’ll trade with a colleague if I’m still this sick tomorrow.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The current thing I'm waiting to see happen is when employers getting mad about people being home sick.

"but we're understaffed, it's just the sniffles, can't you come in anyways?? we're a family!!"

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

xzzy posted:

The current thing I'm waiting to see happen is when employers getting mad about people being home sick.

"but we're understaffed, it's just the sniffles, can't you come in anyways?? we're a family!!"

That's already been happening for the entire time covid has been around. I work in a manufacturing company and sick people come in all the time.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, certainly nothing new there.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

xzzy posted:

Run.

The "We're a family" line is never a good sign.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

"My family isn't this lovely"

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
we're not family, I expect way more respect.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Zil posted:

Run.

The "We're a family" line is never a good sign.

Even when illegal racing and weird stunts are in the job description?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

SlowBloke posted:

Even when illegal racing and weird stunts are in the job description?

What if I like the tuna there?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Returning to work after 2 weeks of PTO.

I didnt check my work email or Teams a single time, felt wonderful. But I was moving houses so it wasnt really all that relaxing. On my 10 person team, 1 person was fired and 2 have put in their notice in that short time frame. Talks of mergers/re-orgs in my department.

Probably time to brush up the resume again but wanted to make it a year so I didnt have to payback my sign on bonus.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

xzzy posted:

we're a family!!

This is repeated ad-nauseum by my personal rear end in a top hat.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I am always in person

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

I remember once showing up to an interview in my teens for a company who was a msp and the receptionist told me they require ties for interviews but not for work and I just said ok I’m not interested.

Dunno why that just came to my head but I still feel proud about that. As an msp employee I remember having to crawl under desks and poo poo. I’m not wearing slacks and a tie for that.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I showed up to my first help desk IT job with a nice button down, slacks, and baby blue timberlands (it was a phase okay?). The interviewer even asked why I would wear them to an interview. Don't remember what I said. Got the job but I think they were hiring anyone with a pulse as the job was soul crushing.

Also tinnitus chat. I've had it since I was a kid so I don't remember a world without constant ringing. Hope none of you develop it permanently

Sepist fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jun 21, 2022

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
there's a really good job opening that pays $28 an hour and only really needed an A+ at a nonprofit (pretty much my entire resume is working poo poo jobs at nonprofits)

It's been 3 weeks and nothing back :(

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

tokin opposition posted:

there's a really good job opening that pays $28 an hour and only really needed an A+ at a nonprofit (pretty much my entire resume is working poo poo jobs at nonprofits)

Hang in there. This won’t be the only job for you. And hiring can be a WHOLE THING for some orgs.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

tokin opposition posted:

Can always poke their HR person for feedback. Sometimes the wheels turn very slowly

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I found out on Friday at the end of the day that my new job has been paying me the wrong amount, the initial offer amount rather than the agreed amount. Thankfully today the HR person got back to me and said they would get it fixed and even do an out of cycle payment which I wasn't expecting, getting stuff like that fixed out of cycle is like pulling teeth most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

tokin opposition posted:

Apparently the hiring service my company has been using was being blocked by our anti-spam system and we had like 15 resumes that didn't get looked at until today. Incompetence isn't an excuse but maybe something like that happened.

If you have an A+ and are looking for fully remote entry level / mid level helpdesk stuff, the company I work for is always hiring and I think they start around the same salary. Be warned: it is an MSP (with the benefits and curses that come of it), but if you're interested shoot me a PM or email my username at gmail. I have no say or control over the hiring process but I can at least hand a resume to my boss.

In other chat, I also have pretty severe tinnitus, used to spend a fair amount of time at concerts standing as close to the massive speaker stacks as possible, I regret it a lot now that I'm getting into synthesizers. I definitely need to sleep with a fan on, or when I go on business trips I take a portable white noise generator with me.