Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1542543438444482560

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

MassiveSky posted:

I for one implore the EU to treat Kaliningrad with all the reverence a forward nuclear launch facility targeting Europe deserves.
It's like the bay of pigs except all the time.

EU response

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Even better, every scene in that gif other than the dolphin in the end clearly refers to an actual event that happened, with photographic evidence.

And it doesn't even have all of it.

In a way, I fear this might be good for Russia. Because a lot of the reason they are not doing as well as you could expect is that they keep doing stupid poo poo. Attempting to occupy Snake Island was really stupid. Them giving up on it can signal that they have started to stop doing really stupid poo poo.

The alternative explanation would be that they are starting to run out of resources to do things. I don't think this should happen quite yet, but if it is happening, that would be very good.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Tuna-Fish posted:

In a way, I fear this might be good for Russia.

may we continue to have such fears then

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Popete posted:

I'm just wondering how the war in Russia is still so popular? I guess popular isn't the right word, maybe tolerated? I know decades of "evil NATO" and state run media but there just doesn't seem to be any other way to spin this than a botched invasion for territorial gains by Russia that has now turned into Soviet-Afghan 2.0 but with more significant economic repercussions at home.

The people actually fighting are young men from rural areas or ethnic minorities. Most Russians have as much involvement as your US citizen did with Afghanistan, and the sanctions are easy to blame on "Mean west wants to ruin Russia" rather than a just response to your countries own actions.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

Popete posted:

I'm just wondering how the war in Russia is still so popular? I guess popular isn't the right word, maybe tolerated? I know decades of "evil NATO" and state run media but there just doesn't seem to be any other way to spin this than a botched invasion for territorial gains by Russia that has now turned into Soviet-Afghan 2.0 but with more significant economic repercussions at home.

Lots of reasons. There's more or less no free media (unless you specifically go looking for it), there's practically no right to protest, there's a lot of pressure for people to not engage with politics at all, there's no real political alternative, there's pressure to support are troops, there has been non-stop propaganda for over eight years, there's siege mentality. Five months isn't that long really, Americans stayed in Afghanistan for 20 years only to leave out of boredom more than anything else. Some of the support is probably motivated by chauvinism, but I get the feeling the regime doesn't necessarily want to play up nationalism too much, I think complacency plays a bigger role.

I think the average Russian isn't personally affected in a major way, and the easiest way to deal with it is to just passively support are troops and not think too much about it. I'm not sure there's a lot of active support for the war, either. If the average person actually had to make major personal sacrifices to keep the war going, things might look different, but even then I'm not sure much would be done, there's no real alternative.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Putin is the personification of the fragile male ego. The Russian envoy to the UN SC meeting taking time out to rant about the Ghost of Kyiv and mockery of Russian soldiers looting washing machines has the same energy.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

C0N5T1P4T3D posted:

Well, sanctions tend to increase patriotic fervor in affected populations. There's a long history of this with America's sanctions on Latin American countries.

I think this could be the case in Russia. This report by the Polish Institute for International Affairs from 2015 is obviously a little dated now but what you said reminds me of this paragraph from the summary

https://www.files.ethz.ch/isn/187505/Sanctions%20and%20Russia.pdf

quote:

Most Russians have not fully felt the effect of sanctions yet and are not afraid of international isolation (66%). More than that, Russian citizens largely support counter-measures against states that have applied sanctions against Russia (78%). However, the food embargo Russia enacted in response, cou- pled with Western restrictions, is likely to amplify and speed up the negative impact on ordinary citizens, which might drastically amend society’s outlook in the not so distant future. The Russian state will strive to enhance its control of society, further cultivating patriotic consensus and constraining even more fundamental civil liberties. Nevertheless, economic slowdown and intensifica- tion of repressive practices could encourage more young and skilled Russians to leave the country. Limitation of freedoms of Russian bureaucracy may also generate an exodus of professionals from public service and instead attract less professional but patriotically loyal public servants. Therefore, despite their restrictions towards the Russian establishment, the EU and U.S. should develop different programmes (scholarships, fellowships, workshops, etc.) focusing on Russian students and young professionals.

There’s more in there. Would appreciate any updated reports with this level of detail.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Kavros posted:

may we continue to have such fears then

I mean, personally I'd prefer if Russia stopped doing the things that are effective and kept doing the things that piss away military capability for no useful purpose, but that's just me...

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
There is no free media left in Russia. Even Novaya Gazeta has moved its printing to Latvia. Anyone spreading forbidden information will be jailed. The general population is completely reliant on the government for information. So it's completely unsurprising that they don't oppose the war because they are told that Russia is actually under an attack from Nazis with biological weapons and what not. Imagine if you lived in USA around 2003 and all you heard from media was Saddam is a terrorist supporter and has weapons of mass destruction. You would be insane to oppose a police action to stop that madman and bring freedom and peace to Iraq!

Chill Monster
Apr 23, 2014

C0N5T1P4T3D posted:

Well, sanctions tend to increase patriotic fervor in affected populations. There's a long history of this with America's sanctions on Latin American countries.

Yes,

These sanctions help the Ukrainians because they gum up Russia's industrial complex, slowing and weakening the war machine. However, the sanctions aren't going to do anything in terms of regime change. The sanctions are just going to lead to the population to feel victimized, and strong-man regimes like Putin's thrive on a populace that feels victimized by external forces.

d64
Jan 15, 2003
I think it's even possible that they were not completely oblivious to the risk of effective sanctions, but correctly figured effective propaganda could actually turn those into a boost domestically. Self-preservation is anyway the number one priority of autocratic regimes.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Chill Monster posted:

These sanctions help the Ukrainians because they gum up Russia's industrial complex, slowing and weakening the war machine. However, the sanctions aren't going to do anything in terms of regime change. The sanctions are just going to lead to the population to feel victimized, and strong-man regimes like Putin's thrive on a populace that feels victimized by external forces.

Yeah sanctions leading to regime change doesn't fit observed reality so I don't think anyone had reason to expect that. In the short term it may slow down resupplies for the war and in the long term it will complicate modernization.

This leads me to a tangentially related rant. Yeah sanctions may foster siege mentality. Russia sanctioned Ukraine in 2013. After they tried to murder a presidential candidate, frauded up elections and overtly threatened war. Russia could hardly have done more to bolster and fire up the Ukrainian pro-EU side. It perfectly set the stage for Euromaidan in 2013 and put Yanokovich in an incredibly difficult position.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Owling Howl posted:

Yeah sanctions leading to regime change doesn't fit observed reality so I don't think anyone had reason to expect that. In the short term it may slow down resupplies for the war and in the long term it will complicate modernization.

This leads me to a tangentially related rant. Yeah sanctions may foster siege mentality. Russia sanctioned Ukraine in 2013. After they tried to murder a presidential candidate, frauded up elections and overtly threatened war. Russia could hardly have done more to bolster and fire up the Ukrainian pro-EU side. It perfectly set the stage for Euromaidan in 2013 and put Yanokovich in an incredibly difficult position.

Sanctions will not cause regime change by itself. Stop them from producing poo poo, making weapons, paying them to confortably fund war. It is a moral obligation.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

пизда! пизда!

:nms: for crazy poo poo I got no idea what's actually occuring
https://twitter.com/max_shcherbyna/status/1542480227246526464

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

the popes toes posted:

пизда! пизда!

That's a CGI video.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

That's a CGI video.

Is there a context?

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

cinci zoo sniper posted:

That's a CGI video.

Wait, you mean the Ukrainian army isn't actually running a Lada with autocannon?

that said

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

the popes toes posted:

Is there a context?

Yes, someone owns a computer.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

the popes toes posted:

Maybe, just maybe, they ran out of soldiers willing to occupy Snake Island.

Would you do a 2 week billet on Snake Island for rubles? How about dollars? How many?

"I know you have been inconvenienced, and I am prepared to compensate you. Shall we say...1 million American dollars? Very well then, 2 million."

MassiveSky
Apr 5, 2022

by Hand Knit

FishBulbia posted:

Wait, you mean the Ukrainian army isn't actually running a Lada with autocannon?

that said

Nice. Is there one with a go-kart and an SMG?

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Tuna-Fish posted:

Even better, every scene in that gif other than the dolphin in the end clearly refers to an actual event that happened, with photographic evidence.

In a way, I fear this might be good for Russia. Because a lot of the reason they are not doing as well as you could expect is that they keep doing stupid poo poo. Attempting to occupy Snake Island was really stupid. Them giving up on it can signal that they have started to stop doing really stupid poo poo.

The alternative explanation would be that they are starting to run out of resources to do things. I don't think this should happen quite yet, but if it is happening, that would be very good.

This would be a concern if there was a limited number of incredibly stupid things to be done, and eventually Russia will run out of those and stumble into a not stupid activity.

I personally have every faith in the Russian military capabilities here.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I know there's been a lot of conversation about how to define a tank, but that right there is an absolute loving tank. No clue what the vehicle behind him is though.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

the popes toes posted:

Is there a context?

I wouldn't read too deeply into the very obviously fake video

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Slugworth posted:

I know there's been a lot of conversation about how to define a tank, but that right there is an absolute loving tank. No clue what the vehicle behind him is though.

might be a general, hard to say

Charliegrs posted:

I wouldn't read too deeply into the very obviously fake video

lookit this guy who doesn't believe that the ghost of kiev is now driving a jacked up combat lada

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Another dawn is breaking in Kyiv, and it's still Ukrainian. :unsmith:

:ukraine:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

the popes toes posted:

пизда! пизда!

I like the photo of Bandera on the window.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Mr. Apollo posted:

I like the photo of Bandera on the window.

its not exactly productive trolling

FishBulbia fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jul 1, 2022

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://twitter.com/NeilPHauer/status/1542726799301435399

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
https://www.pravda.com.ua/news/2022/07/1/7355716/

Has some photos. Thankfully I don't think it fully collapsed or it would be way worse.

Rockker
Nov 17, 2010

Lithuania not backing down

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1542581959553171458?t=ABTaqjz2AouizrpR9O9lmQ&s=19

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Good. The Baltics need to be the spearhead against Russia via sanctions and blockades. Let the EU member state Russia enjoyers show their true master when they try to convince them otherwise

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Good. The Baltics need to be the spearhead against Russia via sanctions and blockades. Let the EU member state Russia enjoyers show their true master when they try to convince them otherwise

Tallinn, Riga, Vilnius, Warsaw, Kyiv; the backbone of Europe.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
They're blockading alcohol??

poo poo's getting real for Kalinigrad

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

I'm going to need a meatier article with some actual citation for this rather than a disembodied tweet. Lithuania *are* inclined to be hardliners and their PM has said the restrictions on other goods are supposed to come online by July 10 https://www.lrt.lt/en/news-in-engli...ons-from-moscow

But sources familiar with the negotiations between Lithuania and the European Commission are expecting a compromise deal by then, with the Lithuanian foreign ministry stressing that any clarification/guidance not zero in on Lithuania specifically:

"As Kaliningrad transit is possible through various EU member states, the European Commission's explanation of how to implement the EU sanctions ... cannot be limited to Lithuania."

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/exclusive-kaliningrad-row-eu-nears-compromise-deal-defuse-standoff-with-russia-2022-06-29/

A German TV channel confirms Reuters' reporting on this btw.

Autotranslated:
"Despite the Lithuanian government's reservations, insiders expressed confidence that a compromise will be reached by July 10 at the latest. "We are in close coordination with the European Commission, which is expected to announce the guidelines for the treatment of these goods in transit in a few days," confirmed Lithuanian President Gitanas Nauseda. He did not want to speculate about the possible result."
https://www.n-tv.de/politik/Kaliningrad-Transit-wohl-bald-wieder-frei-article23432363.html

Now Lithuania is a sovereign country and can obviously do what they like above and beyond EU sanctions but it would leave them politically exposed and isolated when there's clearly no wider EU support for a Kaliningrad sideshow.

PerilPastry fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jul 1, 2022

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

Ikasuhito posted:

Have this version.

Needs to be updated for July.
The July update would show them actually closing the smallest pocket, so that wouldn't be as funny.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Tuna-Fish posted:

The dolphin definitely happened as well, we just don't have the footage yet.

Obviously it'd be better if they just kept throwing resources at the island but even the dumbest motherfuckers would have to realize by now it's futile with the current anti-ship and artillery capabilities.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Russia has openly started sending grain it stole from Ukraine to 'friendly countries'. Thieving loving bastards.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

I mean... How many invaders in history have politely shipped back goods and wealth to the uninvaded portion of their victim? I'm not sure how there could have been any other expectations than them selling that grain for themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Lukashenko to the participants of the Forum of Regions of Belarus and Russia today: 'All Post-Soviet countries today should be sincerely invested in close cooperation with the Union State [of Russia and Belarus]. Provided they want to preserve their sovereignty and independence, of course. We are convinced now that only together can we face global challenges. The still hesitant should understand that without uniting and strengthening our international and interpersonal bonds as soon as possible, we may simply cease to exist'.