Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I do IT in an executive search firm and I'd love to know if this was someone in my company.

No idea who she works for. Non descript dell laptop, don’t see any corporate badging on her stuff.

She’s going on vacation in a few hours and needs to bust these interviews before her flight, I can tell you that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Lol sitting in a hotel lobby.

Lady across from me is doing interviews remotely. Just heard her getting off call with someone, talking about looking at the person’s linked in and saying they’d email the background check later today.

Then she hops on another call (phone not computer) with I presume her boss or what ever and says she doesn’t think this candidate is a good fit. Why? She wasn’t dressed well enough and had “white trash makeup” whatever that means.

I mean I couldn’t see the screen for all I know someone showed up to interview in ICP face paint. But still lol at just loving saying it out loud like that.

capitalism is a meritocracy, right?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

Lady across from me is doing interviews remotely. Just heard her getting off call with someone, talking about looking at the person’s linked in and saying they’d email the background check later today.

Then she hops on another call (phone not computer) with I presume her boss or what ever and says she doesn’t think this candidate is a good fit. Why? She wasn’t dressed well enough and had “white trash makeup” whatever that means.

I mean I couldn’t see the screen for all I know someone showed up to interview in ICP face paint. But still lol at just loving saying it out loud like that.

I bet it was literally something super minor like wingtip eyeliner.

naem
May 29, 2011

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Did new boss actually check if you were communicating? Or offer an explanation for this?

no and none

just arbitrary accusations of, working well together

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

How weird. I'd be discussing how my interviewer was unprofessional as gently caress if I realized they were in a hotel lobby doing an interview. Either go to your room, or find a much more private space. Interviews can be stressful enough, but knowing that random strangers could listen in would infuriate me.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

It was 11:30 or noon or so so I assume she was waiting on her room to get ready, same as me

In fairness I’m also working in the lobby but that only involves a hotspot and spreadsheets for me.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

It was 11:30 or noon or so so I assume she was waiting on her room to get ready, same as me

In fairness I’m also working in the lobby but that only involves a hotspot and spreadsheets for me.

I have no issue with people working in a hotel lobby. My job pre-pandemic was 75% travel. Someone working quietly in a lobby is fine. But conducting interviews there just seems deeply disrespectful.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Thomamelas posted:

I have no issue with people working in a hotel lobby. My job pre-pandemic was 75% travel. Someone working quietly in a lobby is fine. But conducting interviews there just seems deeply disrespectful.

If I was on the hiring side of the equation I would agree with you just out of an abundance of caution.

As an applicant? As long as it’s not a sensitive interview (e.g. discussing PII etc) I kinda don’t care. But, again, that’s just me.

I would hope her background game is on point though.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I don't think I'd care either way if someone was interviewing me from a hotel lobby.

My last interview was done through a hotspot from the back of an RV while driving through the Yukon so I'm not judging anymore.

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?
Sounds like the applicant's "white trash makeup" will torpedo the deal. Such a stupid and unprofessional reason.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

TheSpartacus posted:

Sounds like the applicant's "white trash makeup" will torpedo the deal. Such a stupid and unprofessional reason.

yeah that person dodged a bullet

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

TheSpartacus posted:

Wear too much, you catch poo poo, don't wear any, catch poo poo. I picked up on the fact that most of the supervisors and above at the hospitals I worked for had medium to pixie cuts and had very specific makeup, with a couple outliers.

Seriously though that's fuckin gross of that lady, I hope her boss makes a note of her lovely phrasing and makes her redundant

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

boar guy posted:

yeah that person dodged a bullet
this is my feeling if i ever go into an interview and it’s leetcode-style bullshit. i’d end the interview myself.

when i interview devs, i start by saying this isn’t one of those and that our questions are designed to have you ask questions and work with us to get to the solution.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Lazyfire posted:

Apparently the person pushing me on issuing the order IM'd my boss last night after I sent my email back and complained about me not doing the thing. I guess she was under the impression that my boss would just get in line and make me do the thing when he's more of a contrarian than I am with these sorts of things and told her she needed to follow policy if she wanted his employee to do something for her. The next step to try to force me to do something is to go to my boss' boss, and I know she would be furious about someone trying to force one of her people to move forward on a government order without all the forms and workflows completed. This has the potential to entertain me for weeks.
Good thing you're covered. May I ask for a little more context regarding this person's actual objection to the step they are avoiding in order to expedite doing the thing?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Pyrtanis posted:

Wear too much, you catch poo poo, don't wear any, catch poo poo. I picked up on the fact that most of the supervisors and above at the hospitals I worked for had medium to pixie cuts and had very specific makeup, with a couple outliers.

Seriously though that's fuckin gross of that lady, I hope her boss makes a note of her lovely phrasing and makes her redundant

Most middle managers are redundant by default

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Outrail posted:

Most middle managers are redundant by default

As someone who has recently had the rug pulled from under me regarding my job role and have basically been jammed into a middle manager position, I can confirm this!

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Dr. Faustus posted:

Good thing you're covered. May I ask for a little more context regarding this person's actual objection to the step they are avoiding in order to expedite doing the thing?

This person is from another department entirely and believes my department (a commodity team in a different business unit) should issue an order for them. We can do that, but this is a government order they've been working to close for months. That means there are FAR15 considerations at play that I have no context for and special orders for equipment and inspection. I'm hung up on those last two points more than anything as I need approvals from MY management to get stuff created for HER business unit to spend government money with no proof all the regulations have been followed. None of it makes any sense and exposes us to a ton of risk while creating a precedent ("Why won't you place this order and monitor this part's production for us? You did it before.") that we would rather avoid. Plus, I don't have a full account number to charge to, just part of one that is the parent for 13 complete accounts. As of a couple hours ago she's gone to the Finance team and they've told her we don't need the specific internal charge number approved to order equipment for government property. That's great, but ignores the fact we still need to justify the spend and get all the orders approved in my management tree if I issue the order, which will take weeks. We would also have to cover the inspection costs off our overhead if I did all this and that won't fly with my upper management. She's threatening to bring her management into this if I don't issue an order by the end of the week.

One of the craziest aspects of all this is that she claims I need to be the person to do this because in our vendor call book I'm assigned to the vendor. Fair enough, if this order originated from my business unit there's an argument there and we would be upset if someone else from our business unit tried to order from that vendor. She has her own purchasing people, though, and I dug up the demand for the part consuming the one I'm supposed to order and the buyer assigned to that isn't the one listed for that vendor in our call book, it's one of her buyers. She could, at any time, have had her people just do this work and avoided weeks of back and forth and drama. My boss is pissed.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Lazyfire posted:

My boss is pissed.
Good thing she is going to go and make a complete rear end of herself over this, and is dissatisfied with her current audience. A bigger one will be funnier, for you.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Lazyfire posted:

Apparently the person pushing me on issuing the order IM'd my boss last night after I sent my email back and complained about me not doing the thing. I guess she was under the impression that my boss would just get in line and make me do the thing when he's more of a contrarian than I am with these sorts of things and told her she needed to follow policy if she wanted his employee to do something for her. The next step to try to force me to do something is to go to my boss' boss, and I know she would be furious about someone trying to force one of her people to move forward on a government order without all the forms and workflows completed. This has the potential to entertain me for weeks.

I'm all ears for this one, loving it!

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

End state today is my boss' boss is talking to the other Manager's boss to try to figure out what is happening. Everyone in this conversation but me is off all next week, so if they want me to do anything it needs to be tomorrow.

Also, the vendor they want me to put the order in with is out until the 12th, something I haven't mentioned quite yet to the other manager.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Do everything in your power to make everyone aware you need to do this right now or it'll be delayed for weeks. Spend the rest of the day playing hide and seek.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

It's so loving hot and I'm brewing twice next week. If I die, remember that I posted!

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

Lazyfire posted:

Also, the vendor they want me to put the order in with is out until the 12th, something I haven't mentioned quite yet to the other manager.

Ohhohohohohohohohoooo.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Some dumb idiot made a mistake ordering the yeast I needed to brew the beer I had scheduled for Monday so now it's delayed a week!

It was me.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Corporate-wide email this morning reminding everyone of the yearly event that being on work property this weekend without prior approval is criminal trespassing, and can and will be charged.

Why? Because you can see an unrelated business's July 4th fireworks from the parking lot.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

i'm having surgery at 3 and have to work until 1 to save my PTO in case I need a follow up. capitalism fuckin rocks.

jokes on them i'm on painkillers on an empty stomach so I'm pretty much useless

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?

Critical posted:

i'm having surgery at 3 and have to work until 1 to save my PTO in case I need a follow up. capitalism fuckin rocks.

Yeah, it's Friday. Goes without saying.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

satanic splash-back posted:

Corporate-wide email this morning reminding everyone of the yearly event that being on work property this weekend without prior approval is criminal trespassing, and can and will be charged.

Why? Because you can see an unrelated business's July 4th fireworks from the parking lot.

American business seem very stupid.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Steakandchips posted:

American business seem is very extremely stupid.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

satanic splash-back posted:

Old place I worked at solved this handily because the fireworks at the park for the 4th were shot from OUR parking lot, so the whole place got shut down.

Made parking for work the day before fun thought, what with having to come in super early to fight for a spot and maybe even get an email later in the day asking the owners of certain cars to move to make room for more explosives.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Critical posted:

This is a great opportunity to be extremely blunt and get less done for the next few weeks and blaming the medication for that.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

A Festivus Miracle posted:

Steakandchips posted:

American business seem is very extremely stupid.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Steakandchips posted:

American business seem very stupid.

How dare you?

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Lazyfire posted:

This is a great opportunity to be extremely blunt and get less done for the next few weeks and blaming the medication for that.

been doing that for the last two weeks it owns

told my boss I'm pretty much useless and shes fine with me just answering emails and getting the time sensitive poo poo done. otherwise I just float in a sea of numbness.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Escape From Noise posted:

It's so loving hot and I'm brewing twice next week. If I die, remember that I posted!

I saw this article and thought of you. At least you're not making a toilet water IPA. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...xibyzanu3x01rrh

Workwise, our return to work is on 7/18, but coronavirus numbers are through the roof. This is after our senior leadership declared covid over so this is going to be very fun. At least it's only going to be one day a week for each team and all my team members sit far away from me. So it'll be like working from home... But at my desk at work

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Using recycled water probably isn't a bad thing. Brewing uses a lot of it and we're probably going to run out soon.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Verdugo posted:

I saw this article and thought of you. At least you're not making a toilet water IPA. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...xibyzanu3x01rrh

Workwise, our return to work is on 7/18, but coronavirus numbers are through the roof. This is after our senior leadership declared covid over so this is going to be very fun. At least it's only going to be one day a week for each team and all my team members sit far away from me. So it'll be like working from home... But at my desk at work

Either half-face respirator and glasses, or full-face respirator.
Don't die for your boss.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
My FOM got all mad because the one desk agent we have only one day a week put in notice and decided to npt bother coming in, like who cares?

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

loving hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Atopian posted:

Either half-face respirator and glasses, or full-face respirator.
Don't die for your boss.

I attended a meeting in a half face respirator during the pandemic and was ordered to only attend meetings remotely afterwards.