Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The Iron Rose posted:

on an unrelated note, how’s powershell dsc these days?

garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

For Fuchs sacke. What’s the joke?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

More like Micro$hit amirite

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

My boss and manager are currently LOUDLY arguing over "what to do about Tiworker.exe using the most CPU" on our file share server, and citing websites like electronicshub.com and whatsabyte.com

I have the utmost confidence in their ability to gently caress this up royally.

tiworker.exe is part of the Windows Module Installer Service. TrustedInstaller.exe is its parent process and both work together to provide Windows Updates for your PC. Without tiworker.exe Windows Update cannot work properly, and you will no longer reliably get updates for your PC.

it's a process that's used in the windows update process. it'll be high CPU any time it's installing an update. trying to stop it or remove it is a) a really loving bad idea because then windows update breaks b) something anyone who knows windows at all would know not to do

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

The Iron Rose posted:

we have to build and maintain a windows server environment for running powerbi gateway and I am distraught

at least it’s not stateful

on an unrelated note, how’s powershell dsc these days?

Power bi can eat poo poo imo. As a platform to store and share data, why are the data security controls so half assed poo poo?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Sickening posted:

Power bi can eat poo poo imo. As a platform to store and share data, why are the data security controls so half assed poo poo?

Because most of the features are put in there based on how many votes they get from the userbase, and the userbase generally want shiny new charts and analytic capabilities, not data security stuff?

Plus, imo, PowerBI shouldnt be used as a data store. You should have your data controls on the database.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

tokin opposition posted:

tiworker.exe is part of the Windows Module Installer Service. TrustedInstaller.exe is its parent process and both work together to provide Windows Updates for your PC. Without tiworker.exe Windows Update cannot work properly, and you will no longer reliably get updates for your PC.

it's a process that's used in the windows update process. it'll be high CPU any time it's installing an update. trying to stop it or remove it is a) a really loving bad idea because then windows update breaks b) something anyone who knows windows at all would know not to do

You went up 3 points in my cool book. Thanks.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

NPR Journalizard posted:

Because most of the features are put in there based on how many votes they get from the userbase, and the userbase generally want shiny new charts and analytic capabilities, not data security stuff?

Plus, imo, PowerBI shouldnt be used as a data store. You should have your data controls on the database.

It shouldn’t, but that isn’t the point. So many other spaces are meant to have sensitive data in it, but here we are.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Our DBA learned power bi on the side and now half the org uses it and it’s setup wrong. Pro licenses for everyone!

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Is there a reward program for snitching on companies that use unlicensed software?

I’d be making millions for just Docker Desktop alone.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

LochNessMonster posted:

Is there a reward program for snitching on companies that use unlicensed software?

I’d be making millions for just Docker Desktop alone.

https://reporting.bsa.org/r/report/add.aspx?src=us&ln=en-us posted:

A reward may be payable only if BSA pursues an investigation and, as a direct result of the information provided by you, receives a monetary settlement from the reported organization. The amount you may receive is outlined in the Terms and Conditions available here.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Wait Docker costs money?

Sorry I left you hanging jagerx.
If it's any consolation, my boss is now fixated on deleting the temp files created by VMware tools and trying to use DISM.exe /restorehealth to "fix" the VM so the tiworker.exe process doesn't use as much CPU.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 7, 2022

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Docker Desktop is free for companies with fewer than 250 employees AND less than $10 million in annual revenue.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

If only it was $10m in profits, then we'd be talking.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
So last night my son (16) came to me and said, "Dad! I fixed a friend's problem with his headphones. Well, really I didn't fix it, I just Googled it and found the answer."

I'm raising a IT worker. It makes sense. He hates technology but likes using it. He's lazy but will spend more time trying to get out of doing something that he considers worthless then it would take to actually do it. And he plays a lot of video games. I just need him to drink coffee and I think he is ready to start work.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
MaNdAtOrY ITIL tRaininG coming for us. Supposedly changing to service now... what am I in for?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Farking Bastage posted:

MaNdAtOrY ITIL tRaininG coming for us. Supposedly changing to service now... what am I in for?

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Farking Bastage posted:

I liked it as a non-administrator but they have a training course called ServiceNow Fundamentals On Demand for free until Aug 31st (and a voucher for their "certified system administrator" cert if you care) that might be worth looking into if you are administrating.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Farking Bastage posted:

Welcome to the year 2000.

It’s painstakingly boring, although the incident/problem/change process work fine. Or at least better than agile implementations for service oriented orgs.

I’ve stuffed in the Prince2 category of uselessness as I really don’t do any work where either can be useful.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

When management comes in and says they they're going to collect statistics on incidents/requests/problems for informational purposes, they're 100% lying. They only care about ITIL because it provides a mechanism to rate employee performance and you WILL start to be judged based on how long tickets are open.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

xzzy posted:

When management comes in and says they they're going to collect statistics on incidents/requests/problems for informational purposes, they're 100% lying. They only care about ITIL because it provides a mechanism to rate employee performance and you WILL start to be judged based on how long tickets are open.

Which just leads to metric manipulation “hey every incident is a request”, “no new incident creation if there’s already a problem” and “let me open a ticket for every 5s question I get to lower my avg ticket handling time”.

Double the fun if performance management bonuses are attached to them so you’re cheating for profit. Good practice for if you want to move into management.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Also attach every incident ticket to a problem even if it isn’t related and hope the end user Is too lazy to reopen it.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

At least my ticket got resolved today after complaining about it for half a year.

Love the fact our system has an API that allowed me to run a cron job to automatically request an update with increasingly shorter intervals. It finally annoyed the assignee enough to take a look at the issue.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
lol Maybe its different in Montreal but gently caress everything in this article

https://www.itworldcanada.com/article/sap-labs-montreal-reinventing-the-office/491405

quote:

The office space in SAP Labs Montréal is nothing like what you’d expect from a traditional office. Instead of the usual desks permanently assigned to employees, the space is divided into “neighbourhoods” for each team. In each of them, there is a variety of flexible workspaces. Employees have, for example, the choice of a sitting or standing desk. Community spaces are also located in each neighbourhood to promote better synergy. And for more “formal” meetings, rooms of various sizes are available in each neighbourhood, equipped with state-of-the-art presentation and videoconferencing equipment.

Why don't I just stay home then? what can be done in person, in this situation, that could not be handled remote? I bet you :10bux: Seniors, Leads, and Management are not in those “neighbourhoods”

quote:

“Our new smart office is made up of spaces designed for our activities and created to meet the demand, which gives our employees the possibility of choosing the working environment that suits them best”, says Cindy Fagen, general manager at SAP Labs Canada. “Technology is an important piece of the puzzle, which will help us design our office space even more intelligently.”

As long as that option is coming into office?

It goes on and on. But I hope you like commuting!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

quote:

Employees have, for example, the choice of a sitting or standing desk.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSkVjmRGUaw&t=93s

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Bonzo posted:

Why don't I just stay home then? what can be done in person, in this situation, that could not be handled remote? I bet you :10bux: Seniors, Leads, and Management are not in those “neighbourhoods”

I worked at several companies with a setup like this. Only executives didn’t work in those neighbourhoods.

The thing they don’t mention is that these neighbourhoods have 60% seating capacity for the workforce they’re trying to put in “because half the time you’re meeting people or having discussions so you don’t need a seat all the time”.

Also no lockers for your personal stuff so you’re carrying all your stuff everywhere all the time like a goddamn mule.

It’s almost as bad as the “80% remote job!!1!” offer I just got. The 1 day a week in the office is a 5 hour (single trip, no traffic) commute to a metropole though. It’s also migrating windows workloads to k8s, not sure what the biggest red flag is.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

SubjectVerbObject posted:

So last night my son (16) came to me and said, "Dad! I fixed a friend's problem with his headphones. Well, really I didn't fix it, I just Googled it and found the answer."

I'm raising a IT worker. It makes sense. He hates technology but likes using it. He's lazy but will spend more time trying to get out of doing something that he considers worthless then it would take to actually do it. And he plays a lot of video games. I just need him to drink coffee and I think he is ready to start work.

Are you my dad who time traveled 20 years ago?!

you said you were just going to get smokes

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Farking Bastage posted:

Depends on a lot of factors. We (big company) have an entire team of people dedicated to managing and developing SNOW in our environment. It's the entire backbone of almost everything we do in IT. We've got tons of automation going through it, CMDB, everything pretty much runs through service now.

It can be good (and this goes for almost everything IT related) if you put enough resources into it, and have someone guiding how it's being used. That doesn't happen many places though. My last org was transitioning to it and it was more of a "we're going to use service now" directive from on high, but no one really owned it, so it became a clusterfuck.

I don't hate it, but I find it to be terribly slow sometimes.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Did you guys know that indeed.com now requires salary ranges for all jobs posted there? My company posts all their jobs on indeed so it's kinda cool to go through all our open IT jobs and see the salary ranges of all the different jobs. I had no idea what the range of my specific job title was and there's an opening for one so now I can see that I'm in the lower end of the range and have quite a bit I can move up. My director is leaving at the end of the month and they are posting his job tomorrow and it will be quite interesting to see what his pay range is.

edit: ok after looking through a few pages of jobs, it appears not all jobs have salaries listed, it does appear all the IT jobs from my company do though. They sent out a big email about it last month so I dunno why some jobs do and some don't.

mattfl fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 7, 2022

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

We post pay ranges with all of our job postings, but the ranges are so wide they're almost useless. I can tell you that most people come in at the very bottom of the range, as the top end of the range is the theoretical max. No one is coming onboard at the 75th percentile. It's like a government pay scale, where with 20+ years and step 10 the max you could theoretically make in grade, but no one does.

Now I did screw myself because when I got this job I didn't know the range at all. I ended up asking for less than the bottom of the range.

The range for my job is 108K to 192K base at my org. I came in at 115 because I didn't know any better. My boss has been working to get me more level set. I"m not unhappy though, I live in a lower COL area, and the benefits are great. I did get a 4.5% bump at review time, and supposedly I'm on track for an out of cycle bump. If they wanna throw another 10% at me I'll take it.

Sometimes pay range data is useful, and sometimes it's so broad it's useless. I've seen job posting with ranges of 60K to 160K which is just pointless.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I came in at the very top of the range at my current job, and got a 3.3% raise I didn't expect to get this year (old policy of not giving raises the first year to people hired after oct 1 was rescinded), so all told I'm up about 20% since leaving $shitjob a few months ago :v:

Sure comes in handy as stagflation is about to rear its ugly head, heh.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

skipdogg posted:

We post pay ranges with all of our job postings, but the ranges are so wide they're almost useless. I can tell you that most people come in at the very bottom of the range, as the top end of the range is the theoretical max. No one is coming onboard at the 75th percentile. It's like a government pay scale, where with 20+ years and step 10 the max you could theoretically make in grade, but no one does.

Now I did screw myself because when I got this job I didn't know the range at all. I ended up asking for less than the bottom of the range.

The range for my job is 108K to 192K base at my org. I came in at 115 because I didn't know any better. My boss has been working to get me more level set. I"m not unhappy though, I live in a lower COL area, and the benefits are great. I did get a 4.5% bump at review time, and supposedly I'm on track for an out of cycle bump. If they wanna throw another 10% at me I'll take it.

Sometimes pay range data is useful, and sometimes it's so broad it's useless. I've seen job posting with ranges of 60K to 160K which is just pointless.

If everything plays out how everyone thinks it will, my current manager will take my directors spot when he leaves which will leave a manager spot open here. Theoretically I'm next in line for that spot, but I need to know that range before I commit to moving into management. So that'll be helpful to see that range before I decide if I really wanna pursue it. I can max out in my current position at roughly 110k, which would take me probably 3-4 years to reach assuming standard 3-5% yearly raises. So that manager spot would have to at least start at 115k for me to consider it.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

LochNessMonster posted:

Also no lockers for your personal stuff so you’re carrying all your stuff everywhere all the time like a goddamn mule.

Oh good. I was hoping to re-create the part of my high school experience.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

skipdogg posted:

It can be good (and this goes for almost everything IT related) if you put enough resources into it, and have someone guiding how it's being used. That doesn't happen many places though. My last org was transitioning to it and it was more of a "we're going to use service now" directive from on high, but no one really owned it, so it became a clusterfuck.

We did a big switch to servicenow 10 years or so ago, maybe less but it all kind blurs together now.

But at any rate, we brought in a bunch of very expensive consultants and a few full time hires to manage all the customization and integration. Took years to show results.. and then they all got stressed out over it and quit. So we were down to one person doing all service now management for several years and it was horrible for everyone, it took 6 months for the smallest change.

Finally the manpower issue has been resolved (somewhat) and things are getting better again, but it blows my mind that service now needs an entire team doing nothing but service now to keep the company running. Bet that doesn't factor into many C level's cost analysis.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Hiring manager just sent me a DM on Slack and I now have a Zoom interview scheduled for early next week. Pretty stoked about this!

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

LochNessMonster posted:

I worked at several companies with a setup like this. Only executives didn’t work in those neighbourhoods.

The thing they don’t mention is that these neighbourhoods have 60% seating capacity for the workforce they’re trying to put in “because half the time you’re meeting people or having discussions so you don’t need a seat all the time”.

It’s almost as bad as the “80% remote job!!1!” offer I just got. The 1 day a week in the office is a 5 hour (single trip, no traffic) commute to a metropole though. It’s also migrating windows workloads to k8s, not sure what the biggest red flag is.

We started this at our office about a year before the pandemic. 60% was our magic number too. Here's how it went--
People pack up and accidentally throw the mouse in the bag. People fix it by taking mice from other stations. You can tell IT, but it doesn't matter. This has been going on for weeks and they've been out of mice for almost as long.
IT of course has their own space, and I'm told to hang out in their space for team camaraderie. They have their own desks, and they're rotating in and out of the office on an irregular schedule. I arrive on time and get kicked out of the space by a guy that shows up an hour late. Got accused of taking a dude's power adapter, and told never to sit there again. Manager straightens it out (another coworker borrowed it) and to sit at his desk. Turns out the manager didn't like sharing his desk either and changed his mind, so I gave up and just stopped coming in.

Hotdesking is now on my list of places to avoid, along with open office plans and private equity ownership. I feel like not having a desk to sit at erodes your sense of personal dignity.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

skipdogg posted:

I did get a 4.5% bump at review time, and supposedly I'm on track for an out of cycle bump. If they wanna throw another 10% at me I'll take it.

4.5% is a 5% cut in pay when looking at inflation. 10% is only as 1% bump in pay, ask for more and point out the price of everything.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Contingency posted:

Hotdesking is now on my list of places to avoid, along with open office plans and private equity ownership. I feel like not having a desk to sit at erodes your sense of personal dignity.

I think a big problem for American workers today is that they don't know our history. Every management team is basically trying to get back to the glory days of the 1800s, whether they even consciously make the connection or not. Open-office plans? Literal sweatshop tables. Hotdesking? Replaceable worker cogs - someone dies or gets sick (then dies), throw someone else into the meatgrinder. You're not a person, you're just a worker. In the same way that antivaxxers could only exist en masse after 80+ years of vaccines making deadly diseases a relatively rare occurrence rather than something you need to take into account (i.e. don't bother naming your child until they're 2 because odds are they won't make it anyway), 100+ years of employee rights fought for by unions have made Americans blind and complacent to what companies truly want their workplace to be. Hell, didn't company scrip come back into fashion a while ago with one of the FAANG companies or Tesla? And I know Google for a while there was fighting Mountain View to build 10-story dormitories to house its employees right next to their offices - essentially a 21st century version of company towns.

Anyway I'm certainly not saying every management team is like this, but enough of them are that everyone should keep in mind what things were like in the 1800s and do their best to resist or avoid working for companies like that, when at all possible (not always possible given your opportunities and needs).

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
getting real annoyed at entry level helpdesk jobs paying minimum wage demanding at least three years IT experience and five trillion certs -_-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Hell, didn't company scrip come back into fashion a while ago with one of the FAANG companies or Tesla?

Not FAANG but the place I was at for a while stopped giving raises for a few years and replaced it with some reward type, point system. Get a perfect customer survey? 100pts. Your manager says you went above and beyond? 1000pts. You then log into this portal of overpriced poo poo that you can exchange for points. It reminded me of those ads in comic books that showed all the prizes you could get by selling magazine subscriptions. Or an arcade where spend $50 on ski ball only to have enough tickets for a wax mustache. At least they had BestBuy and Amazon gift certificates.

People start catching on this its not really moderated at all. We had guys giving each other points for bringing in doughnuts. "Bob really makes this a great place to work! 200pts"and stuff like that. Pretty soon it was used as currency for bribes. I had a field consultant call me and offer me 700 points if I bumped his trouble ticket priority. Like he was Tony Soprano shoving a $100 bill into my shirt pocket against my best wishes.

The CEO got wind of it and that was that. So for about 18 months my little international software company had a wordwide, internal black market in operation.

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 7, 2022