Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

tokin opposition posted:

any advice for my first day on the it helpdesk?

Buffalo Trace is a pretty solid bourbon that won’t break the bank. You may eventually need to drop down to Evan Williams if your budget can’t keep up with increasing volume.

just kidding, I’m sure you will have a lovely time :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

tokin opposition posted:

any advice for my first day on the it helpdesk? it's a smaller org (<50 people) and it's 100% windows, but I don't know too much beyond that

Talk to the users and get a basic understanding of what their job is and what matters to them. Understanding the business you're supporting helps a lot with relationships.
Having a technical basis is important, but it may be even more important to be able to function as the translator between business-speak and IT-speak.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

tokin opposition posted:

any advice for my first day on the it helpdesk? it's a smaller org (<50 people) and it's 100% windows, but I don't know too much beyond that

Ask questions to your users you’re supporting. If it’s an application you are fixing, ask what it does, how they use it, what’s its purpose. As said above understanding the business is crucial.

Figuring out what the real problem is quickly is a skill you’ll have to learn as you go. “I can’t print” could be anything from the obvious printer issue to an application error or even you to discovering a network outage. Approach a situation with an open mind.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's all intuition.. sometimes you intuit which process is causing the problem, or you intuit which terms to paste into google so you can freeload off someone else's intuition!

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

tokin opposition posted:

You are a detective. You need to ask the right questions. Always remember the 3rs of windows troubleshooting

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
50 people seems like a pretty small organization to have a dedicated help desk. Is it purely internal or are you helping external customers like an MSP?

Anyways of the issue is affecting only a single person the problem has a high chance of being human error. Especially in places where people like to move around/reorganize their desk and unplug poo poo/plug it back in incorrectly. Don’t be afraid to ask questions that make the user feel like an idiot because chances are they are when it comes to technology.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

My new boss is a caller not txter. Do I sever?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

jaegerx posted:

My new boss is a caller not txter. Do I sever?

Yes. Immediately.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Answer the call when you're audibly on the toilet and the person might stop.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Cyks posted:

50 people seems like a pretty small organization to have a dedicated help desk. Is it purely internal or are you helping external customers like an MSP?

Anyways of the issue is affecting only a single person the problem has a high chance of being human error. Especially in places where people like to move around/reorganize their desk and unplug poo poo/plug it back in incorrectly. Don’t be afraid to ask questions that make the user feel like an idiot because chances are they are when it comes to technology.

it's a four person team and no, in house. i don't get it either, but from what I understand their systems are a bit weird as they're quote unquote halfway moved to the cloud. it's probably a shitshow but gently caress it, it's a line on a resume and rent.

jaegerx posted:

You are a detective. You need to ask the right questions. Always remember the 3rs of windows troubleshooting

are these different from "reset rollback retry" ?

Docjowles posted:

Buffalo Trace is a pretty solid bourbon that won’t break the bank. You may eventually need to drop down to Evan Williams if your budget can’t keep up with increasing volume.

just kidding, I’m sure you will have a lovely time :v:

not much of a drinker but it's a 10 minute bus ride to the weed shop and I intend to make use of that convenience

---

many thanks to all who replied, i fully intend to trade up via certification as soon as it looks good on my resume to do so

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Reboot reinstall reformat

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I’ve been on my first IT job for like 9 months now and the best advice I can give is one I just came out of

At somewhere around 5-6 months in there’s gonna be an issue where something comes up that you don’t know the answer to but you’re too afraid to ask because “I’ve been here long enough, I should know this by now. If I ask someone they’re gonna think I’m bad at this job”

gently caress that, no one really knows what they’re doing and the only way to get better is to ask questions. If you’re still uneasy then phrase it as “I haven’t touched on this in a while, can you remind me how we do X?” but don’t waste a week banging your head on the wall over a problem when your coworker might be able to help you with a 5 min fix.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I've been in IT for 20 years and I still tell people that "let me research that and get back to you" so I can go Google it.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

FCKGW posted:

I’ve been on my first IT job for like 9 months now and the best advice I can give is one I just came out of

At somewhere around 5-6 months in there’s gonna be an issue where something comes up that you don’t know the answer to but you’re too afraid to ask because “I’ve been here long enough, I should know this by now. If I ask someone they’re gonna think I’m bad at this job”

gently caress that, no one really knows what they’re doing and the only way to get better is to ask questions. If you’re still uneasy then phrase it as “I haven’t touched on this in a while, can you remind me how we do X?” but don’t waste a week banging your head on the wall over a problem when your coworker might be able to help you with a 5 min fix.

The only time I dont like it when people ask questions is if I have already answered it for them 15 times.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

For the newly starting IT support folks - https://xyproblem.info

Internalize this and you will go far

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
The only advise I can offer for people starting a helpdesk job is to use that time to figure out how to do something that will pay you a lot more money. Basically look at the highest paying tech jobs and think to yourself "how can i learn how to do that".

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
https://www.chroniclesofgeorge.com/

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Internet Explorer posted:

"Or used a back door" going to be the big difference here. I'd want to find that out ASAP. Might make the difference between "rip it out" and "call your lawyers."

Sorry for the lack of updates. My boss took over after I demanded answers.
Case was escalated and then closed as a duplicate because the person we had a meeting with and actually talked through our configuration was the person the case was escalated to.

I presume that my boss is going to require a response from them about this but I have no idea honestly. Our lawyer is busy handling FOIA and the like so I doubt this is even on their radar.
I've been told to drop it and focus on the task at hand. I don't have a great feeling that anything will come of this.

I was pretty against Barracuda from the start so I hope that doesn't skew people's opinion of my assessment, but for now it looks like we're stuck with them regardless.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

FCKGW posted:

my supervisor has explicitly called out me doing this as a great asset for the org

I'm in a customer facing position (so not internal IT, but external support for $products). I started like 10 months ago and am already one of the SMEs in like multiple areas of the $product, but I'll occasionally go "poo poo how does this work", and post a question in slack, and that'll get the ball rolling in my brain and I've often managed to rubber duck a solution to the problem i originally posed just by the act of typing it out and digging into it in Slack thread

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

NPR Journalizard posted:

The only time I dont like it when people ask questions is if I have already answered it for them 15 times.

Agreed but what I hate more is when others will brag about their knowledge/skill followed by asking a very simple question they should know or at least be able to Google themselves.

Don’t brag about being CCNA and VCP certified but then claim you haven’t been able to do anything for the last month because I didn’t properly explain to you how to configure trunking on a Cisco switch to the esxi host (even though I sent you the two commands you have to enter). I’ll never help you again.

That really happened. They were let go after nearly two years of not doing anything after management finally got sick of them blaming everyone else.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Wait I can do nothing for two years, get that on my resume and get paid? Lol gently caress all the other advice

/jk

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

tokin opposition posted:

Wait I can do nothing for two years, get that on my resume and get paid? Lol gently caress all the other advice

/jk

Yeah just get a govt job. The only reason they were let go was because they were a contractor and not a civ.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Zoom interview today, wish me luck thread. Feeling pretty good about my prep and resume. Hoping this will lead to an in person interview next week.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Vargatron posted:

Zoom interview today, wish me luck thread. Feeling pretty good about my prep and resume. Hoping this will lead to an in person interview next week.

You got this!

$BoringJob is letting me attend online training this week, part of which will be an introduction to Puppet. Looking forward to that, as I have an eye on pivoting to a Cloud Engineer'ish job towards the end of the year.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Vargatron posted:

Good luck! :)

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Vargatron posted:

Hell yeah! Good luck goon! I'm sure you'll knock it out of the park.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

At my job we have vendors come in to setup super complicated scientific instruments from time to time. They need to install and configure the proprietary software on the computer attached to the machine, and they need local admin access for ~6 hours to do so.

These are domain connected PCs, and the whole thing kinda freaks me out a bit. For compliance reasons the machines need to stay on the network the whole time. Any suggestions to shore up this process a bit? Should I just audit the poo poo out of their sessions and make sure no one is setting goatse as the background image or something

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Local admin shouldn't grant any sort of network permissions that you don't want them to have, so it's not likely they could do corporate espionage or anything. If you have compliance requirements then you could always record their sessions and keep an archive of them.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

App13 posted:

At my job we have vendors come in to setup super complicated scientific instruments from time to time. They need to install and configure the proprietary software on the computer attached to the machine, and they need local admin access for ~6 hours to do so.

These are domain connected PCs, and the whole thing kinda freaks me out a bit. For compliance reasons the machines need to stay on the network the whole time. Any suggestions to shore up this process a bit? Should I just audit the poo poo out of their sessions and make sure no one is setting goatse as the background image or something

Local admin should only give them control over the box their on and nothing else. Logging their sessions is an option, but you probably don't need to unless there's some regulatory compliance or something you need to be able to audit for.

efb: I didn't refresh and see Ants beat my rear end by a sizable margin.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

drat you ants
dyants

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

The best way I've seen this done was to have an installable Package/Automation script that prompts the user for "Why do you need Local Admin?" and records that, then relogs the current user in as a local admin that persists until log out. It also changed the desktop background to bright red which I thought was cool.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Mustache Ride posted:

The best way I've seen this done was to have an installable Package/Automation script that prompts the user for "Why do you need Local Admin?" and records that, then relogs the current user in as a local admin that persists until log out. It also changed the desktop background to bright red which I thought was cool.

CyberArk Endpoint Privilege Manager does the prompting part.

Works ok but doesn’t play well when you have multiple other security agents running.

Our Sec department does jack poo poo with it though. I’ve been filling out bs reasons for requires privileges for the past year and never got a question about it.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Why would that poo poo go to the cyber team? Its just for tracking reasons, so when you get some malware on local admin the cyber team can pull it up and ask you why you were "butts" when you got malware installed. Its not like they've got time to go through every submission, thats crazy.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Mustache Ride posted:

Why would that poo poo go to the cyber team? Its just for tracking reasons, so when you get some malware on local admin the cyber team can pull it up and ask you why you were "butts" when you got malware installed. Its not like they've got time to go through every submission, thats crazy.

A manager (not mine) asked us about going through OTP requests in our software whitelisting app to check for valid reasons. Obviously we aren't doing that because thankfully they listened to the team, but it seems perhaps it is not immediately obvious that we don't have time nor do we care.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Well I thought the interview went well. Kind of stumbled on "describe yourself in 3 words" but recovered pretty good. Pretty much nailed all the technical and management questions. Also got a lot of "that's a really good response".

I should hear something the back by the end of the week. The interviewer did mentioned that the competition was pretty stiff for this role, so I don't know if that's a good or a bad sign. Feeling optimistic about getting an in person interview next week, but who knows. I was apparently the last interview, so maybe that worked in my favor.

Best question was "how would you boot into recovery mode on a Silicon Mac?". I responded with "I would immediately Google the key combination because they change all the time". Interviewer laughed and said that was his exact response to the question.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Vargatron posted:

Well I thought the interview went well. Kind of stumbled on "describe yourself in 3 words" but recovered pretty good. Pretty much nailed all the technical and management questions. Also got a lot of "that's a really good response".

Hard-working. Alphamale. Jackhammer.

That's great it went well!

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Mustache Ride posted:

Sec dept here is responsible for all kind of unrelated stuff. Desktop/server logging, malware agents, privilege eacalation agent. RACI matrices for applications and infra. They create the policies as well as make sure they are implemented and monitored.

The whole department quit and it’s just 2-3 juniors with less than 5 years combined experience providing these services for about 10k end users.

It’s a complete shitshow and we get more false positives than actual hits on each report. Last month we had 25k false positives and about 5k IP addresses in ranges that they claim are in our account but are in a network class which is not even in use by us.

This costs us about 1 full time employee each month to investigate and refute and has been going on since January. Management doesn’t want to listen and only repeat that they don’t want our dept on top of the security risk list month after month.

At least they’re paying me handsomely to put up with this poo poo.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Hughmoris posted:

Hard-working. Alphamale. Jackhammer.

That's great it went well!

Lol I think I settled on "Driven, Communicative, Humorous". He then responded by saying "that's great, we can have you do a few bits for about 5 minutes starting out every meeting".

Edit: Already got the call back. They're moving in a different direction. Hiring manager said that this was one of the toughest decisions he's had to make in his professional life. Also recommended I apply for a couple other positions within the group and said he would love to have me in their department.

Vargatron fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 11, 2022

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm sorry to hear that, but at least you heard back and heard back quickly. I suspect that means you left a good impression. Definitely take them up on that offer to apply for other positions and keep your head up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Vargatron posted:

Lol I think I settled on "Driven, Communicative, Humorous". He then responded by saying "that's great, we can have you do a few bits for about 5 minutes starting out every meeting".

Edit: Already got the call back. They're moving in a different direction. Hiring manager said that this was one of the toughest decisions he's had to make in his professional life. Also recommended I apply for a couple other positions within the group and said he would love to have me in their department.

drat that must suck. The ones you feel that go well hit the hardest.

The feedback is nice, did they say what the direction they’re taking is and/or why you’re not the person they are looking for?

At least you had a great practicr interview. Keep looking and I’m sure you’ll find another great role where folks will appreciate you and your skills.