Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Why does everyone seem so aggro in the UK?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Right now? It's hot.

In general? Centuries of telling ourselves we're amazing despite reality not lining up with that at all for 90% of us.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

His Divine Shadow posted:

Life isnt all sunshine and roses on Nonce Island

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

His Divine Shadow posted:

I don't think it's a phenomenon unique to the UK, but we're all shoulder to shoulder with an ever growing population and not much space to expand. I feel like in the city you're forced to be a little more accommodating and in the true country you've got a bit more space, but in the suburbs (or exurban sprawl) you're trying to build an isolated stasis bubble using nothing but a two-foot air gap and a run of 7-foot fence.

It's the exact same dynamic you get with siblings except "mum" is the council and "dad" is the police.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jul 20, 2022

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
People get really weird about mine and thine in lots of places. Adding money (or unrealized gains from real estate) to the mix is like pouring gasoline on the dumpster fire of a personality a lot of these people have. Big overlap with the type of people who think everybody is trying to rip them off because that what they would do. So instead of taking a moment to sort things out amicably they try to bulldoze you with (legal) threats and poo poo, basically bullying you into giving up without a fight because their claims often don't have a loving leg to stand on. Lots of misguided anger too, but surely, going to great lengths to annex a dozen square feet of the neighbors garden will fix your lovely relationship and career, and alleviate their petty middle class anxieties.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
In my Perry mason research to defeat my evil fence neighbour I also discovered he was given a suspended jail sentence for some kind of planning violation during his renovation. No loving idea how he managed that, but it did embolden me to stand up to him.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

How the gently caress does it get that far

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Angry man making verbal threats at a planning meeting?

E - no, it was for a planning violation.

Being ordered to undo something and repeatedly ignoring it until the courts get involved would be my next guess.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

He was repeatedly ordered to stop work he was doing on a listed building and didn't, and having dealt with what a bullshitter he was probably repeatedly lied to everyone involved at every stage until the council and judge were cool to make an example of him.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

He was repeatedly ordered to stop work he was doing on a listed building and didn't, and having dealt with what a bullshitter he was probably repeatedly lied to everyone involved at every stage until the council and judge were cool to make an example of him.

The fact that this guy got slapped down, and almost went to jail, tells me there are some wild differences between how things work in the UK vs the US. In the US, this shitter just high fives his golf buddy on the council and you are the one getting rolled despite doing literally nothing wrong.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

"listed building" carries a lot of weight in brit culture, based on the Grand Designs shows I was binging peak-lockdown

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Docjowles posted:

The fact that this guy got slapped down, and almost went to jail, tells me there are some wild differences between how things work in the UK vs the US. In the US, this shitter just high fives his golf buddy on the council and you are the one getting rolled despite doing literally nothing wrong.

Yeah that's why I was so surprised it got that far until it was revealed he kept loving with a listed building. They don't mess around with that stuff and the laws on it have teeth.

Most listed buildings, even at the lowest level, are at least 200 years old, often north of 300 years old and still in close to their original condition. There's a bunch of places still in use that are pushing a thousand years old.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Grade 2 Listed buildings are a massive problem in the UK, because often they aren't actually of any interest or merit, but have been listed by a local nimby "amateur historian".

You can request any building be listed, so it is possible to own a house and then have someone else add it to the list. To get things taken off it goes all the way up to the secretary of state...

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

The house in this instance is a 16th century manor house, which is grade 2 listed (the lowest).

My parents barn they converted when I was a kid was the same, grade 2. Not sure I have any pictures to hand, but it was a falling down old timber barn.

found one, that black barn on the left

To be fair they were able to convert it, but there were a lot of hoops to jump through.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Looks like it was falling down 100+ year ago in the picture.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You don't buy them for the structural integrity.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

goatface posted:

You don't buy them for the structural integrity.

Or the homeowner's integrity, apparently.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

That's a lot of Real England stuffed into one photo

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Lol yeah I remember my brother did a ski season somewhere and brought all his american mates back and they loved my parent's house and then we all said the numbers and realised it was older than america and I can't do the smileys but mind blown.

One lad took it like an insult but I said, then to no effect, nah thats really cool (and not) arguably the biggest most powerful empire the world has ever seen cropped up in the time my parents in the previous biggest empire put in a bathroom.

Again I feel like this could be misread

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

What that old trope.....Britain thinks 100 miles is a long way and America things 100 years is a long time....

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

oops. here we are again.

Anyway I'm considering driving 100 miles to collect 23 ridge tiles for free.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I hope you're taking the tesla.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

in lieu of real delivery vehicles, yes, the electric cost is being deployed on multiple collections.

unfortunately no roof rack or trailer and whilst the rear area with seats folded down is pretty big, its the saloon aperture that tends to ruin things. Mostly ok for individually small things like tiles, no good for like a dishwasher.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Now the steels are fixed its fitting time. They offered to do it but wanted a grand. How hard can this be? Do it myself.

Slow and steady, no silly mistakes

Take it at your own pace

Get things lined up, levelled off, keep the machine there for safety

stick wedges in, get it just right before tightening up bolts...

... Nah hosed it

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I bet that made a noise.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

My builders are down to just the one lad, believe it or not another brother of the original builder. Hes a really nice guy. Spoke to him after. He was round the corner and heard it, had a giggle to himself and made sure not to come back round the corner the rest of the day.

Lol yeah. thud.

Unbelievably, minus some squashed scaffold, everything was ok. Notice the ghetto rigged support for the back blockwork? could have taken all that down. lol. oops.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Oop

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

NotJustANumber99 posted:

in lieu of real delivery vehicles, yes, the electric cost is being deployed on multiple collections.

unfortunately no roof rack or trailer and whilst the rear area with seats folded down is pretty big, its the saloon aperture that tends to ruin things. Mostly ok for individually small things like tiles, no good for like a dishwasher.

I have a dishwasher in the garage you can have for free. It works but it leaks which is why we removed it.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Same

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I have! and like you say it seems really cool. Like I dunno america or scandinavia or something used to do it... but I think it kind of sucked. Not in the good way.

Especially now with roombas and much better battery tech and stuff in competition.

To be honest I wouldn't even need to suck it away, just get the roombas to poo poo through a hole in the floor.

Our house (in Canada) came with built-in vacuum, as did the place we rented before buying. They're way more common over here, with the vast majority of houses being timber-frame.

It's... kind of good? Good to have the sweep point in the kitchen where you just kick a little switch thing and a big hole/tray thing opens up and sucks whatever you sweep into it away. As for using it to vacuum the house it's... fine. But ultimately the attachment thing (as in, the bit that goes on the end of the hose, with a motor with brushes on) broke in our rented house and the landlord couldn't be arsed to replace it so we bought a dyson battery vac and we just use that instead in our house now. It's easier than having to drag a big hose all over the place.

We spoke to some tradesmen who came to our house (can't even remember what for) and they said that they take them out for people quite often, because people don't use them now there are good battery vacs.

Also I don't know if you're up to present time yet but if you haven't bought your bifold doors (or doors or windows) yet you can DM me and I can tell you some stuff about them if you have any questions.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

WhatEvil posted:

Also I don't know if you're up to present time yet but if you haven't bought your bifold doors (or doors or windows) yet you can DM me and I can tell you some stuff about them if you have any questions.

Thank you very much. Unfortunately I already made all these mistakes lol! I suspect you will roll your eyes and lol at me when you see. Not so much the bifolds, theyre probably just overpriced, but the windows... were certainly not how I intended them.

Ok lets try this again, this time with an extra strap on to make sure they can't fall if they overbalance

get bolted down properly

Birdseye view of things

progress feels incredibly swift now

literally apertures for said soon to be poorly chosen windows appearing

And the builders have this big metal rectangle they assure me is the size of a large standard door for wedging in door gaps which is clever

So I need to go and get some lintels from the builders merchant to fit over the various doorways things are moving so quick. Use my trusty borrowed trailer.

Things going well!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Disappointing that you've decided to seemingly use windows of a similar size and style and shape, against SA tradition.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I will flip a coin with each one as to whether it has an arched top

and bend the lintels accordingly

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Ok lets try this again, this time with an extra strap on

Mods?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I love the "builders have assured me is the correct size" for the door frame holdout.

I'm guessing that's foreshadowing.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

BonoMan posted:

I love the "builders have assured me is the correct size" for the door frame holdout.

I'm guessing that's foreshadowing.

chekov's big metal rectangle

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

So the OP knows me from the UKMT but for anybody who doesn't, I used to work for a timber window/door/conservatory (that's a sunroom or a glasshouse or a plant room (lol) for Americans) manufacturer in the UK, for like, 17 years.

I've certainly known builders to get the form (that's what those holdout things they use to build around are called, or sometimes "formers" but I think that's grammatically incorrect) sizes wrong but that's because they typically just build them from wood on site to suit each frame. You'd liiiiiike to think that if they have welded metal ones they'll have used them on other sites before and that they actually will be to the correct sizes but who knows.

The difference between builds where they're on top of things and everything goes smoothly, and ones where everything goes horribly wrong at every stage, in my experience, is having a good site/project manager for the build. I've been out to measure window/door openings etc. for customers at various stages of built properties, from literally just one brick course above ground level, to buildings that are 90% finished, and I could usually tell fairly accurately how smoothly the window installation was going to go by how much of a fuckwit the site manager seemed to be. Weirdly, thinking back on it, two of the best I ever worked with were for two unrelated projects for two very famous (again completely unrelated) British sports personalities (didn't get to meet either of them, sadly) - I guess just because they could afford to hire the best people to build their houses. Obviously it's too late for the OP but my advice for any other self-build would be to use a professional project manager. Apparently it can cost ~5% of your total build cost but I'd bet you they'd save you at least that much in terms of avoiding cost overruns etc.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

WhatEvil posted:

my advice for any other self-build would be to use a professional project manager. Apparently it can cost ~5% of your total build cost but I'd bet you they'd save you at least that much in terms of avoiding cost overruns etc.

This isn't just a UK thing. In the US an experienced GC should be creating this value - and part of it includes knowing which subs to bring in because they know the LOCAL labor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Its not a self build if I pay someone else to make all my mistakes for me though.