Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Its not a self build if I pay someone else to make all my mistakes for me though.

That definitely would still count as a self-build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I agree 100% that a good project manager would be a godsend for a first-timer, but how do you, the naive consumer, choose a good one? You're putting your eggs in one basket somewhat. I went with a well-regarded architect and used their recommended builder, and he turned out to be poo poo.

Local word of mouth is a lot easier when you already live there and your neighbours can tell you what a good job Gary Fences did on their fences, but when you're self-building you're probably not in the area yet and it's not a very common project.

It's a bit of a catch 22, right? You don't know what to look for even in testimonials and previous customers' builds until you've got some experience of your own.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jaded Burnout posted:

Local word of mouth is a lot easier when you already live there and your neighbours can tell you what a good job Gary Fences did on their fences, but when you're self-building you're probably not in the area yet and it's not a very common project.
You also have to take certain recommendations with a pinch of salt. We've stopped listening to our father in law after it transpired that his idea of 'good' means 'will bodge something that completely ignores the law, but cheap as long as you physically threaten them every time they try to raise the price.'

The most eye watering recommendation was from my gran in law who recommended a roofer with the caveat that I probably shouldn't leave any money out, any alcohol in the fridge, or leave my wife alone in the house with him. Thanks gran.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Its not a self build if I pay someone else to make all my mistakes for me though.

Yeah but at least then when you inevitably have to rework things you can curse their name instead of your own.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Going wi th family recommended builders is a recipe for disaster

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jaded Burnout posted:

I agree 100% that a good project manager would be a godsend for a first-timer, but how do you, the naive consumer, choose a good one?

First homeless guy on a bike that talks to you:

quote:

That’s when a man pulled up on his 10-speed bicycle and started chatting with Julian. His name was Robert. He was in his 50s, wore a short-sleeved plaid shirt, jean cut-offs, a rumpled hat and white running shoes. He was missing a few key teeth and didn’t like wearing socks or, as he later informed us, underwear. Robert didn’t own a car and spent his time collecting stray pieces of metal, wood and other junk he’d find on the street. Yet, despite his alarming appearance, he was charming and knowledgeable.

https://torontolife.com/real-estate/parkdale-reno-hell/

What could possibly go wrong?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

It’s a wonderful tale.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Project manage eh?

Well, I'm not doing much actual block/brick laying at the moment so I push ahead with procurement, namely the roof, which goes on top of the walls.

Clay roof tiles are quite pricey but are mandated by my planning in the conservation area, and given my very efficient house design of loads of foundation, not much house and then loads more roof means I need to find the right tile at the right price.

Also the weird covid/brexit scenario is messing everything up further. I am hearing scare stories from everyone of roof tile lead times being 6 months plus.

The new, machine made tiles I can't really afford but are maybe closest are also pretty miserable and disappointing in looks. Price rises bring reclaimed tiles in to play and I try to talk to a few reclaim places but they still want loads of money. And I need ~ 20,000 tiles. Places struggle to provide in this volume.

So I just start trawling ebay and gumtree. Do the tiles need to be all the same? I mean mixing them up will probably look nicer? Its certainly cheaper. yeah we'll do that.

whet my appetite with a small ~ 600 tile load from a lady nearby. She's a crazy ex TV exec who has like a million adopted children taking various A levels and I think wants me to take my shirt off whilst I load the tiles? She points me to a ship reclaim yard to get doors of a submarine for my internal doors! Nice lady.

Then I find a like whole roof worth of the same tile a little over an hour away, too much for the saab.

I am defo overweight on this lol, it takes several trips over two days, loading tile by tile by hand both ends.

But I now have like 8k tiles all the same.

Get a little more boutique and end up at some really flash pads hoovering up their leftovers, these aren't old, brand new and unused handmade. They stuck this in with their forklift, it was too much I had to park back up after a half mile and rearrange

Another load of maybe 2k unused hand made tiles, oh and some ventilation pipe. A massive scrounger.

Another lovely mansion in the making... had to wait all day though as the guy clearly had no project manager and the scaffolders were in the way. Also the tiles were right down the bottom of a very long inaccessible site. Lovely guy but very unfit and basically collapsed after helping me load one wheelbarrow and had to do it all myself. Also they were kind of poo poo tiles.

Obviously I'm renting lots of vans and pickups here but only ever for a day or two and the savings I'm making the cost is neither here nor there.

This guy is much more organised and has palletted and wrapped everthing up and has his own cool, bend in the middle off road forklift. You can see his extension in the background. These tiles I'm buying were on that for a few months, but it leaked cos the roof pitch was inappropriate so he had to strip them all off and sell them on. Most of the guys I pick these tiles up from are nice but do mention how cheap I'm getting them. Yeah... I know.

This guy is especially cool though and says his wife ordered them all and was badly advised whilst he was abroad being his teenage son's snowboard coach as he was trying to get into the Olympics. Not super rich people. He also gives me a pep talk about sticking it out. very cool. I basically rip him off.

And I don't even need to handball them off at the end as he's packaged them up so well.

Last few a bit messy

So yeah theres roughly 20k of mixed, reclaimed/handmade tiles. We're talking over a quid a tile for most of these bought new and god knows what lead times. I get some of these for 9p a tile. Probably average 30p ish a tile.

I am the greatest project manager the world has ever known.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Great job, nothing better than a bargain. This is where self build can pay off, because you can use materials that pros can't risk specifying or won't take the time to find.

We bought karndeen flooring box ends for 8 months and saved a fortune on our kitchen floor.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Absolutely love the tile story and getting a deal/bargain. And you probably helped relieve the sellers of a bunch of crap they wanted out of their hair anyways

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Just looking at this gave me unloading anxiety. Well done on hoovering it all up, rip to your arms.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
They'll be ripped for sure now

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

NotJustANumber99 posted:

She points me to a ship reclaim yard to get doors of a submarine for my internal doors! Nice lady.

poo poo, now I kinda want a bulkhead door leading to some kind of random drawing room/pantry.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Here you go!

https://www.trinitymarine.co.uk/shop/salvaged-naval-bulkhead-doors-crank-wheels/

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

poo poo, now I kinda want a bulkhead door leading to some kind of random drawing room/pantry.

As long as you lose the knee-knockers

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

gently caress that's the coolest thing I've seen in awhile.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

As long as you lose the knee-knockers

Those are the best part of a bulkhead door though!

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Those are the best part of a bulkhead door though!

I've been on crutches far too long in my life to intentionally put poo poo like that in my house. Looks cool as hell though.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Right so I'm going to need something to put all these bloody tiles on.

I had a vague generic online quote for roof trusses from like... earlier when I was coming up with budgets for finance stuff. I dredge this poo poo up and go to talk to a company I engaged earlier. They ignore me.

That seems to be whats happening now, we are post covid and all building is ramping back up. Pathetic only one house builders like me are capitalistic chaff.

Eventually I find a company nice enough to speak with me and they're really cool, and the lad talks to me about stuff I don't understand but no they can't do it without a design. I thought roof truss people on a relatively simple build did that for you cos they wanted your business?

Anyway I download all the relevant documents and design it myself. This is what I want. I'm pretty sure?

So I send it back out to a few people, largely ignored but one company comes back and says one small part of it is breaking their calculations... Er OK cool change that bit? Yeah theyre up for it and I've designed myself a roof.

Yes. My original quote was 6k, we are now at over 12k. This is boris and all that lot rat loving me again. Great.

But yeah they can deliver within a few weeks! Hmmm

I need better forks on the digger to unload this. Some straps and leftovers later:

All set

And here we are unloading hugely succesfully

That delivery lad was mental I can't even remember but something about my socks? I dunno i don't suit this world

Yeah, just carrying a bunch of roof. Anyway set it down against the container on some blocks

Yep, all this other roof too that'll need making.

Finished

Lol now that full of himself and my socks lad has to get out...

a million point turn later...

still stuck

he escapes but lol.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

That seems to be whats happening now, we are post covid and all building is ramping back up. Pathetic only one house builders like me are capitalistic chaff.

I got lucky with my joist manufacturer, they used my job as filler when their big real customers all got delayed when the UK ran out of bricks(!).

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I need better forks on the digger to unload this. Some straps and leftovers later:

I thought those were going to be used as extra long forks for a minute.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Lol now that full of himself and my socks lad has to get out...

Man, delivery guys. They're either the nicest in the world or they're talking your ear off about how their giant outbuilding totally skirts building regs because it's "technically a portable building" because you can "technically remove it with a big enough crane" (true story).

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Bit boring, but in the background block and brickwork is continuing (apart from the month it wasn't where they just disappeared)

Having a brick "feature" wall at one end of the vaulted open plan room

Drone

Sweep up a bit

Yeah, happening.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Not sure if your plant room is going to get enough sun that close to the fence

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

to be fair they put that fence in after I designed it all

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

to be fair they put that fence in after I designed it all

I'm surprised they're allowed to put a spite fence right on the property line, especially considering how close your permitted already-established footprint building is to those lines.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Are there rules where you are about that?

I'm pretty sure there aren't here... you can basically put a six foot fence up on your boundary regardless of anything. Conservation area and listed building stuff would have a say, but aside from that nothing I don't think.

It is lol though isn't it. All my neighbours disgusted by my existence, spending thousands of pounds on fences and hedges and trees to pretend I'm not here.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
i know where theyre coming from tho tbf

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Have you tried telling them that people online pay :10bux: each to read your posts

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Are there rules where you are about that?

It's definitely by municipality/jurisdiction but there are almost always some manner of rules around any permanent structures on or near property lines.

In general there's no way you'd be allowed to build hour house that close without some special arrangement (like what you have) and it's unlikely that a fence could be put within a meter or so of the property line without agreement from owners on both sides of the line.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Motronic posted:

it's unlikely that a fence could be put within a meter or so of the property line without agreement from owners on both sides of the line.

This would bankrupt the uk fence market. No homeowners would ever agree with each other.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Have you tried telling them that people online pay :10bux: each to read your posts

I hadn't thought about it like that before but yes you're right. I will start yelling this at them from my roof at the next opportunity. I've never spoken to the newly moved in rich fence having neighbour, only her 10(?) year old daughter who often appears to question me when I'm on the roof as to when am I going to get all this finished and how many children and dogs will live here?

Gasmask posted:

i know where theyre coming from tho tbf

no totally

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

This would bankrupt the uk fence market. No homeowners would ever agree with each other.

Or double it, with everyone having their own fences with a couple yards of scrub brush between them that nobody wants to mow.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Motronic posted:

Or double it, with everyone having their own fences with a couple yards of scrub brush between them that nobody wants to mow.

they would simply build buy to let houses there

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Good question. How many children and dogs will be living at the L-shaped house? Will they be L-shaped children and dogs?

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

NotJustANumber99 posted:

. I've never spoken to the newly moved in rich fence having neighbour, only her 10(?) year old daughter who often appears to question me when I'm on the roof as to when am I going to get all this finished and how many children and dogs will live here?

The cutest harassment

Mister Dog
Dec 27, 2005

Your giant goofy forks had me lollin thanks this is a great thread

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

One layer above the ground floor you have a single line of red brick, is this a racing stripe, air/moisture break, fire break or just some sort of spacer so you can use a standard 3m 2x4 or whatever

I'm definitely not a masonry wizard but seems like in the states nobody is building their houses with racing stripes at ankle level (not sure what you call that in metric either)

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

makes it go faster in a landslide

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Maybe so the top dpc could be horizontal?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

You see the coursing block on the drawing helpfully quoted?

Brickies decided against that and just put a course of regular engineering bricks in instead, on top rather than below the first course of block. Yes the intention is so the inner and outer leaves of wall are at the same height so you can put metal wall ties in every two courses that the insulation sits on in the cavity.

Somehow it lines up. Just leaving it to them really and it's better than having to source a bunch of non standard coursing blocks.

And that will actually be under/at floor level with 200mm of insulation and 65mm or something of screed still to go down

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

with 200mm of insulation

I thought this build was south of the artic circle

Edit: maybe this is australia, where heat sinks rather than rises

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

It is a bit counter intuitive I concede but apparently up to 25% of your home's heat can be lost through the floor. I have no idea how this statistic was arrived at.

But I have underfloor heating to be installed in the top screed, so it makes sense that you want decent insulation under that I think. Previous building regs were pretty much at 100mm as the minimum (there is no actual prescribed minimum, its all about overall SAP calculations that take the whole house buildup into account) but the last time the inspector was out he said the most recent change in regs (that doesn't apply to me because I've taken so long I'm basically still on the flintstones edition) now makes it all but mandatory 150mm plus under the floor.

I'll ignore the accusation of australianness