Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Next thing is we need a wall plate.

A big old ring of timber mortared on all the way around the inner leaf of blockwork that the roof trusses will sit on and be attached to. The interface between wall and roof I guess.

47mm thick seems to be acceptable although lots of people talk about wanting 75mm largely to reduce the wonkiness of the wood involved... shall I bare minimum it?

Of course I shall.

need these joints machining into all the ends for joints. Somehow I haven't got all the woodworking tools I used to so I make a bit of a hash of it all as usual, but good enough

Thats my grandad's workbench by the way who died in... I dunno like 25 years ago

Then whack em all on, need to weight them down until the mortar sets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

need these joints machining into all the ends for joints. Somehow I haven't got all the woodworking tools I used to so I make a bit of a hash of it all as usual, but good enough

Looks good still, guessing from the saw mark that you did what we used to do in laneway home construction and set the blade depth on a circular saw to the depth you needed, then criss cross the area to be removed, then use a hammer to smack the pieces out, and chisel to flatten?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Yes essentially. Looking at that picture again I hope that wasn't a finished shot, need a bit more out at the elbow of the joint. It probably was lol. To be honest this woodwork isn't exactly like cabinetry quality or anything.

Also again a job I didn't want to do myself, asked the brickies who did this bit normally? Not them. From youtube videos a conscientious brickie might be more inclined to get involved but... well.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Also some of the bits of wood are wonky as gently caress. you really need to be there checking every single piece of timber and sending it back but realistically I dunno how you can do that and its very awkward. even with the whole c24 or whatever thing thats supposed to guarantee the quality of the timber

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Those ratings only reference the strength of the timber, not the straightness, unfortunately. Probably going to move about a bunch during and after shipping anyway. It's why I tend to opt for concrete screws to force the issue somewhat.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Lol never actually looked up what it means. Interesting.

These are nailed down and wall straps installed.

What are concrete screws?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Screws for going into concrete.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I suppose i could have worked that out.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Hadlock posted:

I thought this build was south of the artic circle

Edit: maybe this is australia, where heat sinks rather than rises

Funny how perspectives vary, 200mm doesn't sound like a lot to me, 500mm is more like the norm in a house build here.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 1, 2022

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Construction grade softwood is a ride. Rushed through the kiln to get it just dry enough to stop it from dry rotting and planed, which introduces all sorts of stresses into the wood and still leaves it wet enough to lose a bunch of moisture before installing and therefor move in exciting ways, even in a humid place like the UK.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I had that issue with wood I bought from a local store, part of a bigger chain. The wood I bought from the local sawmill though was a lot better and it was his B-grade stuff.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I bought a bunch of softwood from a local sawmill to build a big garden deck (L-shaped, ironically). Every single piece was hilariously different in some dimension and required some degree of sawing or planing. Made me realise how much of domestic construction is just an exercise in "eh fuckit, close enough". Also, that I don't want to work construction. These soft hands were made for shitposting

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Build from whole logs only, like god intended.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

goatface posted:

Build from whole logs only, like god intended.
I have some concerning information for you about log uniformity I'm afraid.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
If you never intend the lines to be straight it's less of a problem.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

I bought a bunch of softwood from a local sawmill to build a big garden deck (L-shaped, ironically). Every single piece was hilariously different in some dimension and required some degree of sawing or planing. Made me realise how much of domestic construction is just an exercise in "eh fuckit, close enough". Also, that I don't want to work construction. These soft hands were made for shitposting

To be fair, most construction timber is never intended to be seen and only has to be good enough that the surface layers can take up the difference.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Jaded Burnout posted:

To be fair, most construction ... is never intended to be seen

I keep telling myself this at every level of house but eventually... The house has to be visible

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I keep telling myself this at every level of house but eventually... The house has to be visible

Not if you put it behind a spite fence!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Camouflage paint

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I am breaking the timeline! and talking about now!

had the council tax man around again today. Initially I was very wary of him but now I recognise him straight away.

"Still not finished yet?"

"No mate"

"OK see you in a few months"

Someone at the council thinks I'm pretending to not have finished the house to avoid paying council tax. This lad has been round like 4 times now to check I really am this slow.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

To be fair your house is particularly iceberg-like.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jaded Burnout posted:

To be fair, most construction timber is never intended to be seen and only has to be good enough that the surface layers can take up the difference.

That works until it doesn't. I have a big pickle fork looking tweaker bar that I use for studs when I can't get good ones. You whack them into the sole plate straight then bend the whip out of them so they are straight on the sill plate and whack them in. I figure maybe they'll dry out and actually stay that way. But if not, whatever - atleast the sheetrock goes on easier and flatter.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Looking forward to bemused local news stories with spontaneously exploding walls

(The closest I had to that was steel toe capped boots)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

"local man dies of broken spine: apparently the man was leaning against the wall when suddenly a chain reaction of every stud twisting loose caused a shockwave that ran down the drywall causing his spinal cord and spleen to burst from the shockwave"

"It was just too fast to get out of the way. The whole house was wound up like the tightest steel spring. There was a creak, a pop, and half a second later it was over and all the drywall was crooked. You could feel the shockwave move through the air and through you"

"It was like living in the most resonant, tightest wound drum" one family member was overheard commenting

News and weather at 7

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Aug 2, 2022

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Hadlock posted:

"local man dies of broken spine: apparently the man was leaning against the wall when suddenly a chain reaction of every stud twisting loose caused a shockwave that ran down the drywall causing his spinal cord and spleen to burst from the shockwave"

"It was just too fast to get out of the way. The whole house was wound up like the tightest steel spring. There was a creak, a pop, and half a second later it was over and all the drywall was crooked. You could feel the shockwave move through the air and through you"

"It was like living in the most resonant, tightest wound drum" one family member was overheard commenting

News and weather at 7

That's clearly just a cover story for local man dies sucking he own dick

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

That's clearly just a cover story for local man dies sucking he own dick

blew his own back wall out

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Local Florida man dies in front of entire family proving he can suck his own dick, breaks neck. Family trashes house to hide shame, concocts wild story about house exploding. News at 11

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaded Burnout posted:

blew his own back wall out

Buried in an L-shaped coffin

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

:hmmyes:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

:lol:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

:five:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

stop planning my funeral, I've already told my family its a paintball game with me as the ashes as ammo

Anyway we need to start getting these trusses up and sat down on our building

obviously need to carry past our tight point

right

Hmmm, you know how tis was defo going to work...

Yeah its harder work than expected.

try a funny angle. still tricky

OK, whack this in to make sure things are somewhat straight.

OK getting it done

also separately what the gently caress have i been left with here? from a brickie that is now refusing to come back...

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Ah, I know this one. It's a wall.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

no, its a fiasco

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Paint it and it'll be a fresco

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

NotJustANumber99 posted:

also separately what the gently caress have i been left with here? from a brickie that is now refusing to come back...

WTF? Kill a farm animal and leave its head in his bed, or at least on the doorstep.

Mario
Oct 29, 2006
It's-a-me!

Jaded Burnout posted:

Paint it and it'll be a fresco

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

:neckbeard:

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

There has never been a better username/post combo in the history of these dying forums, I am convinced of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
This thread has been great. Thank you for sharing it with us