Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Scholtz posted:

Post yr jaw so we can all laugh at you

Never understood how Katakuri gets bullied for his funny teeth while his brother has a giant tongue and dresses like Willy Wonka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

I'm watching the filler episodes leading up to the movie now, and...did 7-year-old Luffy just beat Monster? Granted, Monster could have gotten stronger over time, just like Luffy (and presumably Shanks) did, but still, it's a weird dehyping of the critter that will probably be getting a big fight against Chopper in a couple years.

I didn't think that was Monster, I thought it was just a wild random chimp but idk

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Plutonis posted:

Biggest con I'd say is to have your lifespan taxed so Big Mom can make a loving talking teacup

I don't know, talking teacups are pretty cool

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Plutonis posted:

Also related to that, Linlin really is built differently because she's like as old as Whitebeard, had over fifty kids and used parts of her soul to make four catastrophic powerful homies but still hasn't shown any signs of losing vitality

She's 6 years younger than Whitebeard. But Whitebeard's decline was more because he was ill, not because of his age. Garp and Sengoku are 4 and 5 years older than him respectively, and are in much better shape.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

She's 6 years younger than Whitebeard. But Whitebeard's decline was more because he was ill, not because of his age. Garp and Sengoku are 4 and 5 years older than him respectively, and are in much better shape.
Well yeah. They've still got both halves of their face intact.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
pretty sure all the drinking Whitebeard did did not help him either

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Will we ever find out what Roger was sick with or did he just have the I gotta inspire the next generation disease

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

hatty posted:

Will we ever find out what Roger was sick with or did he just have the I gotta inspire the next generation disease

Can’t go on that island itis that he bravely fought through

A Meatslab
Apr 15, 2010

hatty posted:

The "D" stands for diabetes, the True Will of D.

I'm sorry, Luffy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sub Harrison posted:

Never understood how Katakuri gets bullied for his funny teeth while his brother has a giant tongue and dresses like Willy Wonka.
Maybe its one of those things where he flinched so he got rode for it whereas perospero just decided to own looking like he was from ah real monsters

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

hatty posted:

anime tuberculosis

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

A Meatslab posted:

The "D" stands for diabetes, the True Will of D.

I'm sorry, Luffy.

Wilfor D. Brimley

A Meatslab
Apr 15, 2010

rannum posted:

anime tuberculosis

geughhkk *coughs up 3 gallons of cranberry juice*

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

hatty posted:

One Piece is actually just agent orange

RatHat fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Aug 25, 2022

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

He used Gear Second too much

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Scholtz posted:

Post yr jaw so we can all laugh at you

Please do not tell the fanclub this is how I live.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Plutonis posted:

Biggest con I'd say is to have your lifespan taxed so Big Mom can make a loving talking teacup

Do people even have to work in Tottoland, or do homies do everything? You give up one month for every six months, you definitely spend more time than that working. Might come out ahead

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

Meme Emulator posted:

Do people even have to work in Tottoland, or do homies do everything? You give up one month for every six months, you definitely spend more time than that working. Might come out ahead

You also have to consider that at any given point your Godzilla sized Matriarch might go on a rampage and destroy your home and eat you if her Reece's Puffs are a few minutes late or if she didn't get the explicit kind of lollipops she was craving at the moment

Still, better than the current market system in the US.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

we see a ton of chefs and a basic police force but the actual military seems to be homies. going by what we see of big mom's homies theyd probably have a hard time doing anything that requires much thought like cooking or medical care but they can handle pretty much any basic task

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I got the vibe Big Mom's children help keep the peace/assistance. They're pretty well regarded by the people and presumably meant to be the ones who try to handle problems (like Big Mom) when they arise. And also rebuild your food houses.

The brief aside we got in the lull between the collapse and Luffy's mirror escape showed that the frustration with the people was brewing because the cost (their soul) and the risk (mom) they expected to still be fairly protected and that night was anything but on just about all possible sides for them.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
new chapter when

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

RC Cola posted:

new chapter when

Tomorrow night/early Friday morning depending on region/translation speed

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Yeah, I can sort of see why people might actually choose to live in Totto Land (at least in comparison to some other places on the Grand Line).

One thing I like about One Piece is the way it makes the good and bad done by the various factions for ordinary people fairly concrete, even when it's not really what's motivating the major characters. (I guess the Revolutionaries are still underexplored in some ways - we don't really know how things in Vira changed after the coup, for example - but it's plausible we'll learn more about that in the future.)

It's been a couple years since I read Tower of God, but one thing I complained about in the Tower of God thread back then was its failure to make that clear; lots of people from FUG hate Zahard for betrayals over 10,000 years in the past, and some of Zahard's supporters seem to genuinely consider him a great leader...but we're told in passing that Zahard has stepped back from the day to day running of the Tower for centuries (millenia?), and nobody has much to say either way about Molic One P GR, who's supposedly running things for the current century. Of course, I assume a lot has happened in Tower of God since then; has this ever been addressed?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Julias posted:

Tomorrow night/early Friday morning depending on region/translation speed

Thank you. I love One Piece. I need to get a crunchyroll account to get my wife caught up on One Piece. We stopped during Zou because they stopped putting episodes out on Hulu

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Cat Machine posted:

I always liked the theory that Shanks was going to fulfill the Joyboy prophecy by either taking the Nika fruit for himself or giving it to Roger's son who also lived on Dawn Island at the time; the accident at the bar caused Shanks to rewrite his plan on the fly and take a bet on the random scrappy kid who was always hanging around town, perhaps directly trying to influence him (with the help of people like Rayleigh) towards the path of unlocking the fruit's potential by creating a dream for Luffy via his own actions. Fits nicely with the "was it destiny or did the person will it into existence?" battle that has gone on throughout the comic.

one addition to the context of luffy's origin w shanks i would actually like now is if we learn that this is all true one way or another, and shanks had the ability to reincarnate the hito hito no mi: nika on hand, but chose to save luffy instead still instead of letting him die. i like Good Guy Shanks interpretations

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Meme Emulator posted:

so you give up about 1/7th of your life. in the usa, average life expectancy is ~79 years, so you basically agree to lower that on average to 67, in exchange for not having to work (lets say). i would genuinely take that trade ngl lol

add in big mom herself though and its a different story

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Terper posted:

He used Gear Second too much

Shonenitis: A condition brought on by using a power that reduces your lifespan in an excessive amount.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

this is great

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

You rule.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Plutonis posted:

The biggest con is actually that Big Mom goes on rampages and breaks poo poo and possibly kills you. Or diabetes. Or being from a rare race, in which case Big Mom will pin you to the pages of her son's book like a dead butterfly, only you'll still be alive.

The pros are (prior to Straw Hats invading) living in a stable country relatively free from invasions because who the gently caress attacks an Emperor (I guess Kidd did), universal basic food (the head chef's ability is literally turning inorganic stuff into food, and one of the bigshots can make candy from thin air), relative freedom from racial discrimination (unless you have 3 eyes cause apparently that's the line that Big Mom won't cross, or if you happen to be too rare a race), all the candy you can eat (downside is diabetes, also you don't see any non-dessert food in the arc other than the food that Sanji makes for Pudding/Luffy), and no poverty.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

The biggest con is actually that Big Mom goes on rampages and breaks poo poo and possibly kills you. Or diabetes. Or being from a rare race, in which case Big Mom will pin you to the pages of her son's book like a dead butterfly, only you'll still be alive.

The pros are (prior to Straw Hats invading) living in a stable country relatively free from invasions because who the gently caress attacks an Emperor (I guess Kidd did), universal basic food (the head chef's ability is literally turning inorganic stuff into food, and one of the bigshots can make candy from thin air), relative freedom from racial discrimination (unless you have 3 eyes cause apparently that's the line that Big Mom won't cross, or if you happen to be too rare a race), all the candy you can eat (downside is diabetes, also you don't see any non-dessert food in the arc other than the food that Sanji makes for Pudding/Luffy), and no poverty.

Also you can't have second thoughts and decide you don't want to give up a chunk of your soul every month, cause Big Mom will kill you.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/1kuji_onepiece/status/1562640060419559424?s=20&t=_EtHIhb2ldRRpHYiddiSPw

A whole merch line of emotional moments.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Aug 25, 2022

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

"Waddya mean I don't get on the boat? I had a tragic backstory, I was a major player in the arc, I declared my intentions in the same way Oden did, paralleling his journey, the fans love me, I have good chemistry with the main character, I just said two chapters ago that I was going to get on the boat. This is an Outrage!"

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The Fishman said the boat was full sorry

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Plutonis posted:

Also she might get a sudden hankering for some highly specific food and end up eating you and/or your family alive in the 12 minutes it takes her emergency chefs to throw together something to satisfy her craving.

Edit: Why look at that, there was a whole other page of posts here in this thread! :doh:

rannum posted:

I got the vibe Big Mom's children help keep the peace/assistance. They're pretty well regarded by the people and presumably meant to be the ones who try to handle problems (like Big Mom) when they arise. And also rebuild your food houses.

I actually dug that Oven (I think), who is shown to be an absolute hothead - no pun intended - made a point when he told everybody to shatter their mirrors that if they had an emotional/historic connection to those mirrors and couldn't stand to destroy them, then it was okay to just drop them into the ocean for now and come back and collect them later. That was actually... thoughtful!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Aug 25, 2022

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Hahahaha!

(Oh no, he's hot!)

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Sub Harrison posted:

Since the reason he hides his face is because when he fought back after being bullied, Brulee was the one who suffered the consequences, so he refused to show weakness ever again. If that hadn't happened, we'd probably see his gums flapping about like nobody's business. I imagine Perospero (:h:) also got bullied and fought back but there were no greater consequences than that. Nobody expects perfection and unassailable coolness from Perospero, so he can do whatever.

I wonder what Katakuri would dress like if he was as free...

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Big Mom's kids are very cool I think

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Great cosplay, thanks for sharing :yarr:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

drat... that's a Big Hat

Re-read paying off