Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.

twistedmentat posted:

I though mesas were mountains that aliens flattened for some reason.

There's also those that belive that rocks that look kinda like people an animals are tye remains of titanic people and animals. Or any pile of rocks that is even remotely pyramid shape are pyramids.

Reminds me of the Permian Museum. Someone in Texas collected a bunch of rocks which he claims to be fossils of hybrid animals produced by sea sponges that absorbed and reshuffled DNA from dead animal cells that were floating in the ocean after the great Permian Extinction.
https://permianmuseum.com

I want an aquarium full of these duck fish:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
hi, i'm aqua duck. a god drat sea sponge hosed my poo poo up real bad.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

ScienceSeagull posted:

Reminds me of the Permian Museum. Someone in Texas collected a bunch of rocks which he claims to be fossils of hybrid animals produced by sea sponges that absorbed and reshuffled DNA from dead animal cells that were floating in the ocean after the great Permian Extinction.
https://permianmuseum.com

I want an aquarium full of these duck fish:

This is awesome. A whole bunch of crazy :words: but lots of fun pictures.

Like some dino nuggies:

And Sea Pig! :buddy:

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

I know a metroid when I see one!

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

This is awesome. A whole bunch of crazy :words: but lots of fun pictures.

And Sea Pig! :buddy:

But we already have a sea pig, and it's the subject of my personal favorite True Facts video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y4DbZivHCY

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

stereobreadsticks posted:

But we already have a sea pig, and it's the subject of my personal favorite True Facts video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y4DbZivHCY

Thank you. I had not seen that before and was unaware of the existence of modern sea pigs, I consider myself far more educated on the sea pig now.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Knormal posted:

Holy crap, Stegocastor is my new favorite cryptid.

I want these to be in Ark 2

Chairman Capone posted:

Last year, I wrote an article about the megalodon, the history of research into it, and its role in cryptozoology. Today (and with my permission) a YouTube channel that focuses on prehistoric life made a video adaptation of the article. It's the first time I've seen some adapt a piece of my work, thought some of you might enjoy.

Also of potential interest, I wrote an article a few years ago on mokele-mbembe, Great Zimbabwe, and lizard people conspiracies.

That's so cool! I'm going to have to watch this asap. BTW I love that Meglodon is just drawn as a big shark, when we have zero idea what it actually looked like, so it could have looked hilariously chonky.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh wow, awesome stuff! Mokele-mbembe in particular has always fascinated me, it was a big part of all the weird Young Earth stuff I read while I was growing up. Even after moving beyond that, it's still an idea that sits in my mind with other cryptids, but it's interesting to look at from a more critical perspective alongside all the other aspects like the problematic colonialism it ties into.

twistedmentat posted:

That's so cool! I'm going to have to watch this asap. BTW I love that Meglodon is just drawn as a big shark, when we have zero idea what it actually looked like, so it could have looked hilariously chonky.

Thank you both! Incidentally, the mokele mbembe article, and some of the Megalodon article, came from a chapter I cut out of my dissertation on Great Zimbabwe and the pseudohistory around it, which you can read for free here if anyone's interested.

Another element in my dissertation is a brief discussion of Flat Earther views in South Africa. I expanded that into a short article, and also gave a talk on it at my college which you can view on YouTube. I'm expanding the Flat Earth stuff into a full book - I'm still looking for a publisher, but I've finished with the research and hoping to get the manuscript done next year or two. Even though it focuses on a history of the Flat Earth idea, it still delves into some other conspiracy views around cryptids and alternative medicine.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Chairman Capone posted:

Thank you both! Incidentally, the mokele mbembe article, and some of the Megalodon article, came from a chapter I cut out of my dissertation on Great Zimbabwe and the pseudohistory around it, which you can read for free here if anyone's interested.

Another element in my dissertation is a brief discussion of Flat Earther views in South Africa. I expanded that into a short article, and also gave a talk on it at my college which you can view on YouTube. I'm expanding the Flat Earth stuff into a full book - I'm still looking for a publisher, but I've finished with the research and hoping to get the manuscript done next year or two. Even though it focuses on a history of the Flat Earth idea, it still delves into some other conspiracy views around cryptids and alternative medicine.

This is great stuff, thanks for sharing!

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
https://twitter.com/BBCArchive/status/1564319974734192641?t=Oo0dfShedSwinEEQ2bppNw&s=19

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
Was pleasantly surprised to find this diagram in a paperback from 1977:

From The World's Greatest Monsters by old pop-sci writer Daniel Cohen. Aimed at younger readers but not treacly or condescending.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Ooh I think that's one of the ones I had as a kid, gonna check that out.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

Oh that's awesome. Of course I never saw that one as a kid, just the actual photos of the "plesiosaur" carcass presented uncritically.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

From The World's Greatest Monsters by old pop-sci writer Daniel Cohen. Aimed at younger readers but not treacly or condescending.

Mine was red but that was the best schoolastic book fair find ever. I read that so much it literally fell apart. I think that set me on the road to skepticism because for a kids book, it presented things pretty logically and didn't just take eyewitness accounts at face value.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Chairman Capone posted:

This was super interesting, thanks.
(The Flat Earth is fascinating for us southern hemisphere dwellers; I love maps that imply I've just somehow never noticed that it takes ten times longer to travel east to west in Australia than one would expect.)

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
being a child let loose in a library to do important ufo and bigfoot research, this is an important developmental milestone.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Tree Bucket posted:

This was super interesting, thanks.
(The Flat Earth is fascinating for us southern hemisphere dwellers; I love maps that imply I've just somehow never noticed that it takes ten times longer to travel east to west in Australia than one would expect.)

Thank you! And yeah, Australia in particular got such a fixation on Flat Earthers in the 70s and 80s largely thanks to the fact that the wife of the then-leading Flat Earth group was Australian and she was fixated on the idea that calling it "Down Under" was a slur. Some mid-20th century Flat Earthers in the US spun off from an Australian evangelical church as well, though that was not explicitly Flat Earth based.

uber_stoat posted:

being a child let loose in a library to do important ufo and bigfoot research, this is an important developmental milestone.

When I was a kid, my grandfather worked at a small library down the street from his house, one of those 200 year old churches that had been turned into a little town library. He'd give me the key and I'd walk down the street, unlock it, let myself in, and have free reign of the library all afternoon. I would of course spend it on the little section full of the 1970s conspiracy books. I definitely remember Chariots of the Gods, God Drives a Flying Saucer, I think the Condon Report, and some of the skeptical stuff by Asimov and Ben Bova.

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.

uber_stoat posted:

Good old Dewey 000!

I was genuinely scared of ball lighting and spontaneous combustion when I was young.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

That shark picture and references to Daniel Cohen really jogs my memory. Every library I went to as a kid, I checked out every UFO and cryptid book I could.

I wore out the local library's hardcopy version of this:

https://www.amazon.com/Monsters-Giants-Little-Men-Mars/dp/0385032676

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Sorry to keep spamming this thread, but: I help run an online history of science group. Last summer, one of the other people involved and I set up two sessions on pseudoscience and its spread during the pandemic. We wrote up a short article about those sessions and our group overall for the history of science journal Endeavour. The article should be free to read online and download as a PDF from this link for 30 days (feel free to spread the link if you want, there shouldn't be any limit to those accessing it). Incidentally the fact that they're making this free for 30 days is a big deal as the publishing paywall racket is very real, and I would have had to pay almost $3000 out of pocket to make it free to read permanently.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Polish scientists have found a "vampire" grave - https://www.cbsnews.com/news/vampire-skeleton-poland-pure-astonishment/

Polish scientists have also unleashed a vampire.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Jeff Goldblum was right all along

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

New digital cryptid dropped

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Corridor Crew did another cryptid footage debunking video. It's so-so but there were one or two vids I hadn't seen already

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DMgdLEWoR8

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here's an interesting one, the small Pennsylvanian town of Bryn Athyn has local lore of a cryptid called 'the Bryn Athyn Beast' which is allegedly some sort of large shapechanging spectral dogman which can change from a quadrupedal stance to a bipedal stance and might be some sort of shadow creature which can disappear at will. Here's a short 2008 doco about people from the area recounting their ghost encounters including three highschool kids who had a recent group encounter with the Beast, and local weirdo Blane Bostock who had all sorts of ghostly encounters decades ago when he was a little kid including a mystery person in a werewolf mask who kept scaring him by creeping into his room and jumping on his bed. Could there be a connection between these two phenomena? Yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idy5R7NKXgc

It's also real interesting that the three highschool kids all had fairly different recollections of the same event

Anyway here's a newspaper article from last week about how a minor cryptozoology Youtuber Eric Mintel Investigates came to town with his monster hunting crew to track down the Bryn Athyn Beast but of course they just ended up doing the usual Reality TV monster hunting bullshit of wandering around in the woods at night jumping at shadows

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

a mystery person in a werewolf mask who kept scaring him by creeping into his room and jumping on his bed

:stare:
Never going to sleep again

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Corridor Crew did another cryptid footage debunking video. It's so-so but there were one or two vids I hadn't seen already

Man i love random guy with a turkey on his head cryptid. Its so goofy

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I like the idea but I wish they would have done more actual cryptid videos and not spend half the time on ghost videos, like the Fresno Nightcrawler video they teased at the beginning then never talked about.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Captain Hygiene posted:

:stare:
Never going to sleep again

Also his family was living in a college men's dorm at the time (????) and the werewolf mask guy incidents occurred across several weeks around Halloween. And the bizarre encounters only ever happened when his family was living in this one specific house.

Basically he was traumatized by either his parents or a random family friend playing dumb pranks on him and decades later he was still hosed up about it (despite years of therapy) and was acting weird around the local highschool kids and accidentally created the legend of the Bryn Athyn teleporting dogman

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
if i was a teleporting dog man i would only use my powers for good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyhYLvbI7ZY

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Very penisy, the dogman there

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Dogman's got nards!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here's a February 09 1847 article from the Sydney Morning Herald about the discovery of alleged physical evidence of a bunyip in Australia. Some indigenous guys told a white dude that they'd killed a bunyip on the banks of the Murrumbidgee river and when he went to the spot he found a weird skull which he saved for science:

Here's some more detailed sketches from The Tasmanian Journal of Natural Science whose best guess was that it might be from a very young camel:

An article from July 7 1847 was fairly confident in guessing that it was "the skull of a mishapen foal or foetus of a mare" and yet another expert guessed it could be a "malay tapir". The skull was briefly exhibited at the Colonial Museum in Sydney (which later became the Australian Museum) but that was the last known record of it and no one knows where it ended up after that.

It seems pretty clear that this was an early example of a 'globster', a disfigured corpse of a mystery animal which was almost certainly a known species but was weird enough to cause confusion and speculation. The Montauk Monster was a recent example of this phenomenon.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Crossposting this GBS thread OP for posterity. Watch a goon prove his paranormal abilities by spinning on the spot for 4 minutes, completely defying medical science!!!!!!!!!!!!

TapesFromTheFuture posted:

Hi, I'm Max and I've been recording and testing abilities that demonstrate paranormal and psychic phenomena on my site. I've been trying to find communities of people interested in the paranormal to share these videos with as I have been tapping into something big. If you are also interested in helping me refine my testing protocol or would like to volunteer as a control in future tests I'm confident that I have proof of psychic phenomena.

The ability I demonstrated in the below video is something I refer to as vox magic. It is the ability to to alter my voice and the vocal affectations of the words I speak. Now, there are hundreds of accents and an infinite combination of different accents. I can, on the fly, on command, summon up any accent - even one I have never heard before - linguistically accurately.

This is unknown information that I am using my ability to summon. It's not a lucky guess. It's impossible to guess that many times correct in a row - I'm saying that this is akin to speed running a deck of Zener cards at 100%. Now, I didn't have many people offering valid suggestions for the test protocol, but I think I gave a pretty good demo all things considered.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2VPPWpqndQ

There is another skill in a similar "mind over matter" vein I've mastered recently which is turning off my vestibular nerve function in a way that prevents me from getting dizzy while spinning around. This one is an easy one to verify for yourself - see how long you can spin in place without getting nauseous. I hit 4 minutes and only stopped due to runtime. Read this and you'll understand exactly why this shouldn't be possible: https://science.howstuffworks.com/weightlessness.htm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBq7iNlF2zs

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I, uh...huh.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Here's a February 09 1847 article from the Sydney Morning Herald about the discovery of alleged physical evidence of a bunyip in Australia. Some indigenous guys told a white dude that they'd killed a bunyip on the banks of the Murrumbidgee river and when he went to the spot he found a weird skull which he saved for science:

Wonder why "bunyip" became the accepted name over the far superior "dongus"?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Oh and in case anyone was wondering whether it was actually possible to twirl on the spot for extended periods of time, the Sufi whirling dervishes can do it for hours at a time

quote:

Guinness World Records for "most Sufi whirls in one hour" were awarded in London in 2012, to Shafik Ibrahim Abd El Hamed in the male category with 2,905 rotations, and Tara Lee Oakley in the female category with 2,191. These records were surpassed in Zurich in 2015 by Nicole McLaren, with 3,552 rotations.

The longest continuous whirling performance has been recorded at more than four hours.

Tree Bucket posted:

Wonder why "bunyip" became the accepted name over the far superior "dongus"?

No donguses but we do have horrible Donks roaming the outback .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufDTDUPZrag

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 11:12 on Sep 18, 2022

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the Dongus subspecies was driven to extinction after the introduction of the invasive Greater Badingus.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

A dongus ate my baby!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Calling an animal a dongus would probably generate too much confusion with very real biological occurrence of the horngus of the dongfish.