Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Going through that list again, there's so much eighties nostalgia bait in there. A-Team, Walkman, Indiana Jones, Labyrinth, Polaroid Camera and Garfield would all fall into that category.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

ohhyeah posted:

Didn’t know I needed a little mushroom house with acorn hats and a snail mounted fruit merchant until right now

"For the last time, we are not Smurfs!"

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

BaconCopter posted:

Edit: The next batch of Ideas qualifiers was announced, with some seriously cool sets making it to the next phase. https://ideas.lego.com/s/bp:8ddbf90364e748219cac3eee6030fe63

I don't understand why the Taskmaster house is so popular. The exterior seems incredibly bland? Do people really like brown houses?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

They just like Taskmaster. Although that feels like it peaked last year.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

smackfu posted:

They just like Taskmaster. Although that feels like it peaked last year.

It was a really great show to binge during lockdowns for sure.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I really hate the trend towards boring builds of <insert popular property here> but I guess they sell

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

refleks posted:

I don't understand why the Taskmaster house is so popular. The exterior seems incredibly bland? Do people really like brown houses?

It looks more interesting than the Lilo & Stitch house at least

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I really hate the trend towards boring builds of <insert popular property here> but I guess they sell

They do, but the bigger factor is it's easy to farm upvotes for pop culture stuff.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I really like that phone box and it would be a great addition to Lego's London line of sets, but I have a feeling movie stuff will make the race because of how easy it is to part nerds with their money.

Also whatever happened to "no existing IPs" , looking at Stitch for example.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

One of those orreries (presumably the simpler one) would be cool, I've tried designing an MOC one before.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

xzzy posted:

They do, but the bigger factor is it's easy to farm upvotes for pop culture stuff.

Yeah, the “qualifying” is based simply on votes, no quality evaluations other than making sure it follows the rules.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

xzzy posted:

Yeah which is why it's obvious that some people sit there and say "what hasn't shown up as a submission or been approved yet?"

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

ohhyeah posted:

Didn’t know I needed a little mushroom house with acorn hats and a snail mounted fruit merchant until right now

The best of those by far, really cute and not over-greebled.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
I've always felt the IP submissions are quite cynical. They're for fans of pop culture, not fans of Lego, and hence quite easy to juice on social media.

"Hey remember this? Also remember Lego?" :effort:

Nothing could be as egregious as the GameStop one though.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Lego does actually pick some of them in the end though, so I guess they sell well enough. Friends even got two sets.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Any recommendations for the best cute little printed things to get off bricklink in an order? My kid wants more amber bricks with mosquitoes inside them, they're like 10 cents each. Thinking stuff like that, the classic computer brick slopes, various printed tiles with controls and whatnot on them, but I'm sure I'm not aware of a bunch of neat things he could use to detail everything

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
A whole lot of IPs that don't relly interest me and a handful of neat ones.
I thought Petra was cool.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
When I'm buying a specific incidental part from a seller I'll also go through their catalogue of printed bricks/tiles and transparent pieces to see if there's anything that catches my interest. It's sometimes good to buy pieces without having a particular vision for them because you will think of something organically later.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I can't pretend I'm immune to IP familiarity. I quite liked the Sonic set, and the Seinfeld set was kind of goofy/novel to me. From a marketing perspective it makes a ton of sense - an older fan maybe looking to buy lego, what do I buy? "Oh, this is something I recognize/like/am familiar with."

Futanari Damacy posted:

Nothing could be as egregious as the GameStop one though.
Gamestop one was particular dumb, what with all the stupid GME crap, but wasn't there also a super low effort one for some like, hyper specific martial arts thing that was just heavily boosted in some facebook community?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think the worst was the I Want To Break Free house Queen set. Yeah, Queen is great, that song is great, but the set looked like absolute trash and only got 10k votes because of the IP.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Okay a while back I posted about adapting an image of Bender from a LEGO reddit post into an MOC that I could actually build. Gotta work on instructions and sourcing parts, but I have a completed render:

The arms and legs should flex, and the chest door opens; I dunno about the stability of it all but I suppose I’ll find out when I build it for real.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

What lets the arms/legs flex? If it's some kind of tubing I suspect that might give some stability troubles with the legs. The cigar is a fun touch

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Yeah, tubing, specifically: https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=75c14#T=C

I’m hoping the rest of the model isn’t too heavy to weigh the legs down too much. Stud.io suggests the whole thing will only weigh about a pound.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Overall, this Ideas batch is really good! Highlights for me personally are:

- Escape Game: Carter's Secret. The idea behind this is extremely dope and I want to play with it. Great scale, scope, and clean and thoughtful build techniques. Plus, it's an original concept and idea! I love this, and am surprised I haven't seen anyone talking about it here or in Brickset comments or anywhere.

- Lisbon Tram. Love the tram and the side builds, but way too much of this build is the ground. Should have been a short length of track and a (much smaller) side build with the bench and vendor or something.

- Mushroom House. I mean, everything Jonas Kramm touches turns to gold. That snail has been featured TWICE on Brothers Brick. The whimsy, scale, part usage, and colors are all top notch. Probably my single favorite overall.

- Types of Bridges. I don't know why I love this thing so much but I really do. Love the thoughtful builds and consistent sizes with varying scales.

- University of Brickester. Love the mashing of classic and modern styles. It's big, but with no wasted space or pieces - one of the few large submissions that justifies its size IMO. Interesting angles and great color choices.

- Witch House. The only one of the Castle-adjacent submissions I like. It actually brings something new to the table with its styling and architecture. The trim is beautiful. The cobble texture is a little too inefficient and parts-intensive, and the tree could definitely use work.

- Thomas the Tank Engine. Really fantastic, concise build without an over reliance on graphics. I love small Ideas submissions, too - this could land at $30 or so.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
I would be extremely down for a Great Wave build. Funnily enough, I don't actually like the Ideas one though!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Funny that they have a Great Wave set when someone just recently linked a Great Wave set from some other brand.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Olpainless posted:

I would be extremely down for a Great Wave build. Funnily enough, I don't actually like the Ideas one though!

I shared an off brand one up thread and it looks very good!

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Is there an optional cave to seal the train into, should it decide not to go along to get along?

The more medieval sets the produce the more likely I am to start buying non Star Wars sets, that's fun, but bad for my wallet!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Cojawfee posted:

Funny that they have a Great Wave set when someone just recently linked a Great Wave set from some other brand.

An off brand version of the Orrery was released recently too. Only the one with the Sun, Earth, and Moon though

https://decadastore.com/products/cada-solar-system-designed-by-jk-brickworks-c71004w

There’s also a bunch of guns, including a rubber band gun in the shape of a SMG which is something Lego definitely wouldn’t make

https://decadastore.com/collections/syber-night/products/cada-cyber-g58-submachine-blaster-c81051w-2021

RatHat fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Sep 6, 2022

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
So the Lion Knights' Castle has a poop joke:

I didn't think much about it, but almost 200 steps later, I built this, which is right above the aforementioned brown frog:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I always knew the frogs were lovely.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Lego is real proud of that frog mold. Their use in the orchid set got pointed out too.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Skios posted:

So the Lion Knights' Castle has a poop joke:

I didn't think much about it, but almost 200 steps later, I built this, which is right above the aforementioned brown frog:

Welp, I'm sold.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

xzzy posted:

Lego is real proud of that frog mold. Their use in the orchid set got pointed out too.

There's actually three different colours frog in the set. A green one in the moat, the aforementioned brown one, and a gold one that's hidden behind a wall that only slides open when you fold out one of the castle segments.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Haunted House had grey frogs as roof features.

I yearn for my rainbow frogs.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Bonsai tree's pink foliage is largely frogs. Jurassic Park Gates T-Rex has a frog in its stomach. Orchid stamins are frogs. The lions' ears in Lion Dance are frogs. At least one elf's hat topper in an employee exclusive Christmas set was a frog.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
LEGO: frogs all the way down

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Time to submit my Infowars Studio MOC to the Ideas program so I can put in a rainbow of frogs as an easter egg.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
To be fair, it's one designer in particular who has the thing for frogs, Nick Vas. He did the bonsai tree and he deliberately tried to put as many frogs as possible in that. Same thing with a lot of his Ninjago sets, he deliberately used frogs as detailing parts simply because he could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
LEGO: Nick Vas is the frog hero