Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
From what I remember of looking it up in t'other thread, it's for places that want easy access to both sides of the glass for cleaning when they're on an upper floor.

So in a bungalow they make perfect sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

goatface posted:

From what I remember of looking it up in t'other thread, it's for places that want easy access to both sides of the glass for cleaning when they're on an upper floor.

So in a bungalow they make perfect sense.

Yah that opening mechanism is a selling point for a larger house, Andersen here in the US pitched the same thing to me, doesn't make much sense for a single story house though. They should still meet egress requirements, possibly by being very easy to pop out.

You probably ended up paying extra just for that feature to add insult to injury.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Elem7 posted:

You probably ended up paying extra just for that feature to add insult to injury.

This seems appropriately on brand for a house sitting on a bunch of 10 meter pilings or whatever

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Unfortunately they don't I think now meet egress requirements of 450mm opening at any point of their weird unfurling. I won't actually fail any building regs though as those rules don't count for ground floor windows unless your several rooms deep away from an external door which I never am.

I spoke to the guy who sold me them and said I was expecting when I said side opening, they'd open at the sides, not end up somewhere in the middle. He just sort of shrugged at me over the phone.

I have the solved the problem by convincing myself these are better and what I always wanted anyway.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I have the solved the problem by convincing myself these are better and what I always wanted anyway.

This is the core ethos of home ownership.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Unfortunately they don't I think now meet egress requirements of 450mm opening at any point of their weird unfurling. I won't actually fail any building regs though as those rules don't count for ground floor windows unless your several rooms deep away from an external door which I never am.

I spoke to the guy who sold me them and said I was expecting when I said side opening, they'd open at the sides, not end up somewhere in the middle. He just sort of shrugged at me over the phone.

I suppose as a small bright side you can clean the insides from the outside and not have to worry about dripping soapy water indoors. Sort of the opposite of the intended use.

edit: though now I think about it that would be true of normal side opening windows too.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

I love this thread.

99 please print a copy of this thread, laminate it, and put it under a floor or something, so when in a hundred years someone else is trying to work out what is going on with this house they can appreciate it in all its beauty.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

CancerCakes posted:

I love this thread.

99 please print a copy of this thread, laminate it, and put it under a floor or something, so when in a hundred years someone else is trying to work out what is going on with this house they can appreciate it in all its beauty.

In the end when all that is left are the cockroaches and your foundation there should be a record left behind.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

SpeedFreek posted:

In the end when all that is left are the cockroaches and your foundation there should be a record left behind.

"This place is a message...and part of a system of messages...pay attention to it!

Sending this message was important to us. We considered ourselves to be a powerful culture.

This place is not a place of honor...no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here...nothing valued is here.

What is here is dangerous and repulsive to us. This message is a warning about danger.

The danger is in a particular location...it increases toward a center...the center of danger is here...of a particular size and shape, and below us.

The danger is still present, in your time, as it was in ours.

The danger is to the body, and it can kill.

The form of the danger is an emanation of energy.

The danger is unleashed only if you substantially disturb this place physically. This place is best shunned and left uninhabited."

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

"This pLace is a message...and part of a system of messages...pay attention to it!

Sending this message was important to us. We considered ourseLves to be a powerfuL cuLture.

This pLace is not a pLace of honor...no highLy esteemed deed is commemorated here...nothing vaLued is here.

What is here is dangerous and repuLsive to us. This message is a warning about danger.

The danger is in a particuLar Location...it increases toward a center...the center of danger is here...of a particuLar size and shape, and beLow us.

The danger is stiLL present, in your time, as it was in ours.

The danger is to the body, and it can kiLL.

The form of the danger is an emanation of energy.

The danger is unLeashed onLy if you substantiaLLy disturb this pLace physicaLLy. This pLace is best shunned and Left uninhabited."

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

:five:

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
The SA Forums: Hobbies, Crafts, & Houses: Towards an L shape future: a quick and easy monument build

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

:drat:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

:buddy:

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

lamfo

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

BTW you might actually be able to swap the hinges out on those windows and have them work more normally and/or be suitable for egress.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

WhatEvil posted:

BTW you might actually be able to swap the hinges out on those windows and have them work more normally and/or be suitable for egress.

That is a good point.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I can talk you through it even but you might need to buy a few different hinges to try, to find one where the opening geometry works, If it's wrong it can cause the windows to bind at the edges when they're opening.

You'll need something like these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/23079975...%3ABFBMxt-2leNg

and I can help you figure out what you need, if you want to try it.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

WhatEvil can I hijack your goodwill to ask for some guidance on correctly packing out upvc frames over in this thread?:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3824923&pagenumber=86#post526053457

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

WhatEvil posted:

I can talk you through it even but you might need to buy a few different hinges to try, to find one where the opening geometry works, If it's wrong it can cause the windows to bind at the edges when they're opening.

You'll need something like these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/23079975...%3ABFBMxt-2leNg

and I can help you figure out what you need, if you want to try it.

Thanks yeah I had briefly looked in to it and understood that probably it was just the hinges that were doing this. Like mine don't have a button to release them to bend differently to be cleaned. I guess because they bend differently by default.
It was all too much for me as I said I have accepted these are better and what I always wanted.

But for only 8 quid or whatever a go it might be worth trying it out on just one window first to see if it works.

Almost more I just wonder if you could answer why he sold me these? Like he knew he couldnt get rid of them and I looked like a right moron? Or what? Like, I'm tempted to follow him to other fittings in disguise to see what he does elsewhere?

Jaded Burnout posted:

WhatEvil can I hijack your goodwill to ask for some guidance on correctly packing out upvc frames over in this thread?:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3824923&pagenumber=86#post526053457

Oh yeah I was going to try and point you towards jaded burnout, knowing he was windowing, to help him out but er... lazy.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Yeah no worries I had a look but it seems he's sorted it? I posted in their thread anyway.

But yeah, no idea why they sold you this as a default. I worked for a window/door company in the UK for like 17 years and I don't recall ever seeing hinges that opened like this, other than ones which then have buttons to slide them out to the edges from there.

What company is it / what window system? AFAIK although there are like, thousands of companies that'll sell you aluminium or plastic windows in the UK, there are only really a handful of systems manufacturers (i.e. the people who make the plastic/alu extrusions and stuff and sell them to others to make them into windows).

If you can work that out I might be able to work out exactly what hinges will work and also why they would fit these in the first place.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Here are the hinges I would recommend for this house:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0yL4qIwyYU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

They are all Schüco windows, specifically I think Schüco Window System AWS 70 SC.

The hinges say cotswold uk on them.

Things like this, which is on nearly every window, where theyve screwed the cill into the bottom of the unit, really annoy me.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

The universal English sign that it was built by a man in a shed

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Wait there is an exposed screw end just sticking out of all your windows? What the gently caress?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I might have asked them why they're littering your build with stab hazards.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

When whatevil said there's a button to make them slide out to the middle like that, is it possible that your model can be configured to not do that? Like say by attaching something to that empty screw fitting on the right there.

Also seconding the loose screw head sticking out of the frame, what the gently caress is up with that?

E: Is this going to be another 'these guys were cheapest' thing because I'd think you'd have learned that lesson by now.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Sep 9, 2022

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

NotJustANumber99 posted:

They are all Schüco windows, specifically I think Schüco Window System AWS 70 SC.

Things like this, which is on nearly every window, where theyve screwed the cill into the bottom of the unit, really annoy me.

buy a duster for godsake man

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Bobby Deluxe posted:

When whatevil said there's a button to make them slide out to the middle like that, is it possible that your model can be configured to not do that? Like say by attaching something to that empty screw fitting on the right there.

No, if you look at the way the struts for the hinges are, the long strut is fixed too far along the window for that. It's constrained by design to open by sliding the black thing along so I reckon the only way out is replace the hinges.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Also seconding the loose screw head sticking out of the frame, what the gently caress is up with that?

E: Is this going to be another 'these guys were cheapest' thing because I'd think you'd have learned that lesson by now.

Ooh ooh I can answer this

They either a) did not read the instructions or b) did not give a gently caress

(it was definitely both)

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Sep 9, 2022

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I thought the way your windows opened felt a bit familiar, so I checked the hinges on my top-hung windows.

Exactly the same.

Just has a stop point punched into it half way along the track so it doesn't open as far.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

oh my god those windows are top openers put in sideways

I can't even

I just can't

They probably rotated the specs by accident

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The only thing stopping me thinking that is the stopper is factory punched and I can’t see an intentional top opener going all the way horizontal, so unless they hammered the stoppers flat..?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

CancerCakes posted:

I can't even

I just can't

tbf an upright L is more sensible

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

CancerCakes posted:

I can't even

I just can't

Nah, they're just suitable for both. I think I found the manufacturer spec sheet at the time.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Yeah that's hosed, the screws sticking out I mean. The hinges are sooort of standard in that most non-egress hinges slide the sash somewhat to the middle of the opening, but what you've got is like, an extreme example.

Good news though in some senses:

Those hinges are very standard, plus the fact that they're fitted all the way at the outside edge of the frame means that you'll have fewer issues trying to replace them (means the hinges are less likely to bind on the corner when you open them).

You could try giving Shuco a call, but I would suspect that maybe they won't deal with non-trade stuff. Give Coastal Hardware https://www.coastal-group.com or Quest Hardware https://www.questhardware.co.uk a ring. They're both good companies, which sell to the public, who won't rip you off, and who in all of my experiences have been very knowledgeable and properly helpful with all sorts of queries. Quest particularly I dealt with for like, 15 years. They also ship stuff wherever. We were buying stuff for wooden windows but modern wooden windows use a lot/all the same stuff as UPVC and aluminium.

They'll call those hinges "side-hung friction hinges" or "friction stays".

Tell them you've got side-opening Shuco windows and you want to switch them from standard to egress hinges, but the manufacturer isn't interested in helping you so you're doing it yourself and you need help finding the right hinges. I'm pretty sure they're a 13mm stack height (this is essentially the gap between the frame and the window sash when it's closed), which they'll need to know. They also look like "standard" hinges as opposed to "heavy-duty" which are for heavier windows (like, really big ones or triple-glazed etc.).

I think they both sell Cotswold hinges, but you might also get Securistyle Defender egress hinges. They'll do the same job but I think the geometry might differ a bit, which could affect if they catch at the hinge side when opening.

Here's an illustration of what you're after:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSL-7kSk5K4

though those ones are "easy-clean" which you presumably won't need since all your windows are at ground level. You may need special screws for the aluminium windows but they'll be able to tell you what you need and sell you some of them too.

They'll probably ask you to measure the length of the hinges but they'll be able to talk you through that. They're probably 12" or 16".

Also there's a helpful vid here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_6NXKdgE78

and one here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6HGgtJ3kWk

that should give you an idea of how to switch them over. The only thing is that the screw holes might be in different positions and you *may* need to play a bit with exactly where the sash part of the hinge is fixed onto the sash (i.e. where it's slid left to right). *Usually* though the screw nearest the hinge side of the window is in a consistent position so if you screw that one in first you'll be alright.

If you don't want to gently caress about with it yourself a local chippy or window fitter will be able to help you switch them over.

Jaded Burnout posted:

No, if you look at the way the struts for the hinges are, the long strut is fixed too far along the window for that. It's constrained by design to open by sliding the black thing along so I reckon the only way out is replace the hinges.

Yeah you're right here, there's no modifying those hinges.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Wait what.

I thought I knew of all the British ways to gently caress up English, but...

CILL?

what in god's name

Listen I'm not gonna say that American English is any kind of paragon when it comes to spelling because obviously English as a whole is just a dumpsterfire of the most insane and constantly variable mappings of letters to phonemes, but this is ridiculous. Why would you spell the word with a C? Really jobbles my jimlets. Lootles my lorries. Puts a tic in my spotted dick.

Absurd.

Sorry for the interruption chaps back to talking about windows.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Wait what.

I thought I knew of all the British ways to gently caress up English, but...

CILL?

what in god's name

Listen I'm not gonna say that American English is any kind of paragon when it comes to spelling because obviously English as a whole is just a dumpsterfire of the most insane and constantly variable mappings of letters to phonemes, but this is ridiculous. Why would you spell the word with a C? Really jobbles my jimlets. Lootles my lorries. Puts a tic in my spotted dick.

Absurd.

Sorry for the interruption chaps back to talking about windows.

Like cilantro? Or ciliate? Or in penicillin? Council? Pencil?

(I dunno man, I constantly forget which version to use, words for really old concepts are a minefield)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Everyone just take a cill pill and calm down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That's a word old enough that nobody could win the argument about how to spell it.