Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I am at a party, which I know should be banned with the whole queen thing so can't talk much.

Thanks so much whatevil, I will look in to all this.

most of the rest of you can go swivel lol. bit like my windows.

The screws through the unit, yeah honestly, its at least half of them. You're pretty much forced to used an approved installer so I did. And you get this poo poo. I knew this would happen. Yes they were the cheaper quote, but theyre a schuco approved installer?!?!? I can name and shame them here? Should I go to schuco and say I'm not happy I dunno.

I'm much happier loving things up myself because I know why and who to blame. When you spend the money on someone else... I dunno.. I think I'm just so conditioned to accept a bad job I just went well I guess thats what you get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Yeah if they're a Shuco approved installer, and you've complained to them and they've shrugged, go to shuco IMO.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Yeah man raise hell with the appropriate channel, if they were approved to install that is F’d…you made a break room for workers it’s not your fault

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

everdave posted:

Yeah man raise hell with the appropriate channel, if they were approved to install that is F’d…you made a break room for workers it’s not your fault

I forgot about the break room

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Biscuits are very stale now. Tea bags covered in cobwebs.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Love me a spot of spider tea

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Biscuits are very stale now. Tea bags covered in cobwebs.

Artisanal Hardtack

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

There’s the skeleton of an apprentice in there

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

It occurs to me that my quick and easy house build has now seen off the longest reigning monarch the country has ever, or will ever see.

Like the olden days engineering projects begun under one monarch and finished under another by the descendants of the original designer. I shall name my son L.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 14, 2022

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

L for Luigi.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
my fuckin 1 year old saw off the longest reigning monarch, bitch

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Gasmask posted:

I bet they are in their forties by the time you get a shed built

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gasmask posted:

Tell him I said cheers for that

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Hmmm, not many posts from me.

given that I'm working through my photo album and this is up, this must spell the end of my saab. RIP SAAB.

Took it for an MOT (uk thing due every year after 3rd to ensure car is road worthy) and was expecting a bit of a bill. But I was hit with a whole welding job of over 3.5k which is more than the car is worth. Annoying. So now my work vehicle is the fiat panda cos I have a roof rack for it.

Also front door and back door are delivered. You might, but I couldn't believe how much a front door costs! More than fixing a Saab! I bought these from a company in glasgow, but they wouldn't fit the smart locks I wanted so I paid them extra to fit no locks and I'll sort that out later. Machine them in myself. Probably I dunno. For now, hide your shame behind the container.

Oh and lol the digger broke down doing this and had to get jumped from the fiat. Embarassing.

Still need to finish the blockwork on the sort of midway gable way between the house and end carport cos brickie hosed off.

digger blocks up

pretty ok i reckon

Needs some tidying up, the carpentry too on this end

Which is now getting done in the pissing rain again

Other hip end getting done, bit rough but close enough

Looks like this overall. No real bad stuff this update. Other than rip Saab and towbar, now no way to collect any large materials or tow a trailer...

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Hmmm, not many posts from me.

You have plenty of posts, they're all just buried deep in the earth.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Gone from L to L

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I think you're doing as well as can be expected :)

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Also front door and back door are delivered. You might, but I couldn't believe how much a front door costs! More than fixing a Saab! I bought these from a company in glasgow, but they wouldn't fit the smart locks I wanted so I paid them extra to fit no locks and I'll sort that out later. Machine them in myself. Probably I dunno. For now, hide your shame behind the container.

Mine was about a grand, fitted? Was extra wide too, for goon access. Fancy doors?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

Mine was about a grand, fitted? Was extra wide too, for goon access. Fancy doors?

The hinge is in the middle

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Ratjaculation posted:

The hinge is in the middle

Top opening

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Well yeah that’ll do it

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Lol I haven't really bought that. Well... I haven't actually opened it yet. That is not how I am expecting it to open.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Lol I haven't really bought that. Well... I haven't actually opened it yet. That is not how I am expecting it to open.

It would go perfectly with your windows, but it's going to need a door frame that gets installed into a couple of 100 meter bore holes on either side of it with a 40 footer in the middle for the hinge.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I thought I recognised the photo from previous searches but with you all bets are off.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Motronic posted:

It would go perfectly with your windows, but it's going to need a door frame that gets installed into a couple of 100 meter bore holes on either side of it with a 40 footer in the middle for the hinge.
Also several screws sticking out of the frame to catch your feet on.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I am a bit confused by the roofing but why let that stop us.

So "felt" over the whole lot with a membrane, counter batten on top off that running up the rafters/trusses to provide a nice ventilated air gap above what essentially shall be a warm roof construction (but it isnt really) and then battens across that at every 100mm spacing for all those lovely tiles I got off ebay earlier.

First batch of 25 x 38mm batten, getting about 3 miles worth in the end.

Also very unsure about the valley, in the centre of the L where the two roof elements meet. Don't really like this but apparently this is how to do it, infill bits of board. yuck

And that feeds onto the plant room, which is again not very decided but here we are

Rolling out and stapling down membrane. It feels like you should do all this in one go and then place up the counter battens and then batten from there? But I have no idea how to do that. So instead we'll roll out and staple down the membrane all the way around the roof at the lowest eaves level. Cut up the counter batten and install one roll of membrane all the way round. nail battens to that all the way round to give footholds, and then repeat all the way up to the ridge.

Oh yeah and we have a plastic tray system all the way round the eaves to ensure the felt finishes nicely into the gutters and a plastic vent/insect/animal guard to fit all the way around too.

made up some little i dunno 60mm or whatever the gap is spacers out of spare batten and start whacking it in with the nailgun. Nailguns are so good.

I would show you my nailgun but it isn't the right brand and all the big bully experts will take the piss out of me for it not being paslode. I know what battles to not fight these days.

Yeah this junction is... somewhat a mess. it'll be fine. almost certainly.

detail drawings never show the complicated bits. lol. figure those out yourself.

ah nature

I didn't detail this earlier but the peak of the vaulted area hip roof with internal brick wall such that you dont see any of it on the inside is quite... tight. Again, its almost certainly fine.

In the meantime picking up three velux windows, not quite ready yet but good to know what youre dealing with in advance. The tesla, as long as youre prepared to be a bit mean to it isnt bad as a delivery van, but its the saloon aperture on the back where really it should be a hatch that fucks you over a bit.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Also very unsure about the valley, in the centre of the L where the two roof elements meet. Don't really like this but apparently this is how to do it, infill bits of board. yuck

I mean, I'm not able to comment on this particular construction method but the "yuck" is not coming from that, it's from this being very unworkmanlike. If this is how it should be done the boards shod be well fit and well trimmed.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Motronic posted:

I mean, I'm not able to comment on this particular construction method but the "yuck" is not coming from that, it's from this being very unworkmanlike. If this is how it should be done the boards shod be well fit and well trimmed.

yeah.

thats all on me. I dunno. I think I was kind of checked out on it and so i dunno not trying as hard as I should. oh and being cheap and using up leftovers.

It is shameful. I should have not posted it or pretended some other shoddy person did it. Its not really structural, just there as a backboard to nail to for the valley drain that goes above.

Another desperate attempt to explain myself is the campervan you can see. My parents were back and my dad was giving me poo poo about it all and my work quality falls accordingly.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

i cant handle that avatar looking at me

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

why have to copied the roofing of a mcdonalds you'd find in a retail park?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Ratjaculation posted:

to lure you in to try and buy a vegan sausage roll

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

It is shameful. I should have not posted it or pretended some other shoddy person did it. Its not really structural, just there as a backboard to nail to for the valley drain that goes above.

I mean, if those are just nailers whatever. Like I said, I don't know this construction method.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

its to support these grp dry valley units

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

So good enough is good enough.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Yeah.

Fortunately no one will ever know.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Well until you put it on the net anyway

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Ratjaculation posted:

No it’s a Pizza Hut

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Yer part scrounger mate. Using bits of rubbish to build your house can be a source of pride. Embrace it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I had a dream last night that you lived next door to me. Someone came past and complained that you put plastic gutters on your house.