Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Calidus posted:

a contractor SawStop.

Yeah get this unless you're too wo/manly for thumbs. And yes one or two able bodied friends can easily get a table saw where it needs to go unless your driveway is a stupid slope. If you were talking about an massive band saw or something that is ballasted to the ground that's potentially a different story. I wouldn't worry about it, but do clear your driveway and try to let them back in.

Some ex-coworkers just bought a forklift because they got sick of trying to rent one on almost no notice when trucks would arrive. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Calidus posted:

I am flipping flopping between the delta contractor saw, Laguna Fusion F1/F2 and a contractor SawStop.

well, is the difference in cost more or less than you value your fingers

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

fwiw I unloaded, moved, and assembled my bandsaw by myself.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

If you have the supply yeah, go for it. Double the voltage means half the amperage so you can use smaller wire etc. 220 plugs can be much more expensive, depending on the amperage.

Also you probably need to change some wiring in the actual motor, not just swap plugs and plug it into the 220 outlet. There should be a little diagram on the motor nameplate or in the box where the power cord comes in.

Typically change a couple tabs. Always be using 240v, less amperage means motor runs cooler, lasts longer, the cost of the plug shouldn't be a deterrent.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

CommonShore posted:

fwiw I unloaded, moved, and assembled my bandsaw by myself.

Same, in my case a 19'' Grizzly at about 450lb, that's a lot of weight but still within the bounds of what one person(2 is safer) can "walk" onto a handtruck and once its on wheels its no problem as long as you're not dealing with stairs or steep slopes. Unless you're buying them assembled either of those contractor/hybrid saws shouldn't be a huge issue either since you don't need to move it all in one lift. I bought that Delta and got help loading it at the store but once I was home I just opened the box still in the vehicle and moved everything piece by piece inside.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Elem7 posted:

Same, in my case a 19'' Grizzly at about 450lb, that's a lot of weight but still within the bounds of what one person(2 is safer) can "walk" onto a handtruck and once its on wheels its no problem as long as you're not dealing with stairs or steep slopes. Unless you're buying them assembled either of those contractor/hybrid saws shouldn't be a huge issue either since you don't need to move it all in one lift. I bought that Delta and got help loading it at the store but once I was home I just opened the box still in the vehicle and moved everything piece by piece inside.

In my case it was a 14" rikkon at probably the same weight, partially disassembled when it came. I opened the box in the back of my truck, took the parts out one at a time, and then used some chocks and sawhorses to get it upright once it was together.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Festool is coming out with battery-powered (2x18V for total 36V, if the auto-translation is to be trusted) systainer-scale jobsite saw with all kinds of electronic adjustment and memory features. Here's a... parking lot demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BThNVf8TfmY

The video occasionally flips on the X axis for (probably very French) reasons but you still get an idea of what it's about. It's not called out, but I doubt it has SawStop tech built in.

My table saw experience is limited to ancient DeWalts (my own) and newer cabinet SawStops (at makerspaces) so I've ever seen a table saw with controls that are so digital. I imagine that's the way of the future.

In conclusion:

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I realize old timers would beat me for saying this but I don’t understand why fences aren’t controlled via servo.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Calidus posted:

I realize old timers would beat me for saying this but I don’t understand why fences aren’t controlled via servo.

Another step in the long line of increasing precision in an inherently imprecise medium such as wood. It seems to me that people are continually bringing metalworking machining tools and techniques into the wood shop except that the thing you are cutting changes size and wants to warp throughout the seasons or even day to day as humidity levels change.

I guess it's fine since prices of metalworking stuff continues to get cheaper so it's not as cost prohibitive to use that stuff for woodworking now but it still feels like fighting an uphill battle to be bringing micrometers, calipers, gauge blocks, cnc adjustments, etc. to be cutting stuff that's going to be losing that precision the next day as you expose fresh surfaces that are going to potentially bring warping or shrinkage.

edit: Probably a better reason is because a lot of table saws and such are used by contractors/framers and such that just don't need that level of precision. So for them, it's just an un-needed expense. I think fine woodworking is a relatively small market so there's less money for manufacturers to chase with fancy/expensive features like digitally controlled fences.

Squibbles fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 4, 2022

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
There is a certain market for metal machining precision woodworking machines (ie people with both severe engineer brain and a lot of money). It's not a big market though. For most applications it's just an unneeded expense and/or thing that can break, and most people who actually understand that wood is an inherently unstable material know it's just folly to chase thousands precision. Not to mention that even with handtools you can hit 0.5 mm precision with some practice & experience.

edit: beaten like a cheap chisel

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Calidus posted:

This exists and that is a feature of many very high end sliding table saws that cost $40,000. Building that kind of repeatable precision that can stand 5x10 sheets of plywood being whacked into it for 40 hours a week for a decade ain't cheap. You can program whole cutlists into them and have them save the job so in a year you can build the same thing and it moves the fence for every cut.

That kind of precision and repeatability makes alot of sense in production work where interchangeable parts that really match and the ability to reliably repeat setups are important, but it really isn't all that important for most folks at home. There are certainly retired guys with $50k Martin sliders in their garages happily making very precise furniture though!

I never thought I wanted a DRO on anything, but my planer came with one and I love it because if I mill some stuff and find out I need another board or mess something up I can plane another one to the exact thickness again, and don't have to redo other machine setups to a slightly different size board. It's a nice luxury but I certainly existed quite happily without it for many years.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
If you go back a few years one topic that came up constantly with regards to table saws (at least the ones with a price tag most mortals can actually afford, not second mortgage SCMs) is that fences rarely locked down parallel reliably. Still an issue probably on most cheaper ones. In a field where everything is cost-engineered to meet a certain price tag features like servo control are a pipe-dream outside the industrial production machines KS mentions where it is a hard requirement.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Just Winging It posted:

There is a certain market for metal machining precision woodworking machines (ie people with both severe engineer brain and a lot of money). It's not a big market though. For most applications it's just an unneeded expense and/or thing that can break, and most people who actually understand that wood is an inherently unstable material know it's just folly to chase thousands precision. Not to mention that even with handtools you can hit 0.5 mm precision with some practice & experience.

edit: beaten like a cheap chisel

Tool thread: beaten like a cheap chisel

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
Cutting aluminum on a miter saw: What's your method? We got a 12" compound miter saw at work, and everyone wants to cut 80/20 on the drat thing. We got a non-ferrous metals blade and I made a zero-clearance fence & insert so it can't pull in small cutoffs. Besides always using a clamp, any other safety tips?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

HolHorsejob posted:

Cutting aluminum on a miter saw: What's your method? We got a 12" compound miter saw at work, and everyone wants to cut 80/20 on the drat thing. We got a non-ferrous metals blade and I made a zero-clearance fence & insert so it can't pull in small cutoffs. Besides always using a clamp, any other safety tips?

Eye and ear pro. Face shield over glasses. Aluminum chips in the ol' eyeball really suck.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
No budget for a chop saw? They're like$100. worry that the metal/abrasive dust will wear the pivot points out on the miter saw. Using a compound miter for cutting aluminum stock is overkill, like using a titanium hammer for demo.

Otherwise I think you're ok, the slower speeds for metal saws is more important for steel iirc.

I do eye n ear pro for all cutting but definitely that too.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I've used a wood blade on a standard miter saw to cut 80/20 a couple times without issue but I wouldn't use it all day like that.

Just go really slow, good PPE, clean up well so there aren't sharp metal chips in your woodworking area.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I've used a wood blade on a standard miter saw to cut 80/20 a couple times without issue but I wouldn't use it all day like that.

Just go really slow, good PPE, clean up well so there aren't sharp metal chips in your woodworking area.

I've never cut 80/20 but I'll cut t-track or small bar stock no problem. I've never needed to make more than a couple of cuts at a time though.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

No budget for a chop saw? They're like$100. worry that the metal/abrasive dust will wear the pivot points out on the miter saw. Using a compound miter for cutting aluminum stock is overkill, like using a titanium hammer for demo.

Otherwise I think you're ok, the slower speeds for metal saws is more important for steel iirc.

I do eye n ear pro for all cutting but definitely that too.

It won't wear any faster than sawdust will. I've cut hundreds of cuts of aluminum with my miter saw and circ saws, let alone running sheet aluminum through my table saw. Go reasonably quick but not painfully so (you want to be making chips, not dust, and don't bog the motor). I didn't even bother with a non-ferrous blade on the circ saw, I just use a wood blade.

If you're cutting a ton, I'd give the saw a little time to cool off between sessions. Just run it with no load for 30 seconds to cool it down.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

sharkytm posted:

It won't wear any faster than sawdust will. I've cut hundreds of cuts of aluminum with my miter saw and circ saws, let alone running sheet aluminum through my table saw. Go reasonably quick but not painfully so (you want to be making chips, not dust, and don't bog the motor). I didn't even bother with a non-ferrous blade on the circ saw, I just use a wood blade.

If you're cutting a ton, I'd give the saw a little time to cool off between sessions. Just run it with no load for 30 seconds to cool it down.

i was thinking of using an abrasive wheel but with a metal cutting blade you're probably right that additional wear is minimal. still the thought of running sheet metal through a table saw makes me cringe lol .. like nails on chalkboard

on topic: this deal is like 2months old but is still going on and i finally pulled the trigger so maybe someone else will get snookered in as well:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...32-20/317065703

$200 for rocket light plus 2 6ah batteries is smoking hot deal. I have a m12 rocket light already but since they're cordless OR corded they're pretty versatile. De-Wilt work lights dont run off wall power :mad:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

i was thinking of using an abrasive wheel but with a metal cutting blade you're probably right that additional wear is minimal. still the thought of running sheet metal through a table saw makes me cringe lol .. like nails on chalkboard

on topic: this deal is like 2months old but is still going on and i finally pulled the trigger so maybe someone else will get snookered in as well:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...32-20/317065703

$200 for rocket light plus 2 6ah batteries is smoking hot deal. I have a m12 rocket light already but since they're cordless OR corded they're pretty versatile. De-Wilt work lights dont run off wall power :mad:

Yeah, abrasive blades don't do great in aluminum, even the cutoff wheels that are aluminum rated are pretty crappy compared to carbide tipped saw blades.

That's a nice deal, and I might snag it. I really like my brushed M12 stuff.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

How much better is a manual log splitter than using a wedge and sledge hammer? Trying to split stuff with a friskers axe is a pita. I leaning towards sledgehammer+wedge because it would be useful just to have the hammer.

I don’t really want spend the money or store an electric log splitter.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Sledge and wedge guy checking in. There is probably some way better than sledge and wedge.

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017

Calidus posted:

How much better is a manual log splitter than using a wedge and sledge hammer? Trying to split stuff with a friskers axe is a pita. I leaning towards sledgehammer+wedge because it would be useful just to have the hammer.

Sledge and wedge works great, just get more wedges than you think you'll need, so you can just use more if you get one stuck. also, don't forget to go grind off any mushrooming on the top.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Calidus posted:

I am flipping flopping between the delta contractor saw, Laguna Fusion F1/F2 and a contractor SawStop.

I can buy the Delta it’s enough saw for everything I can do right now and it fits in the garage against the wall when the car is inside. The Fusion especially the F2 is realistically enough saw until I die. I have spent enough time in manufacturing environments that’s not buying a SawStop just seems dumb.

fwiw i had no problem getting the big Sawstop into my garage, which is at the top of the hill on a pretty bad driveway. Getting it upright was a two-person job, which may or may not still be an issue with the contractor saw, but the crates are nbd and the Woodcraft guys dropped it way further up said lovely driveway than I was expecting

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

buy a welder and build yourself some bloodthirsty mechanical monstrosity powered by a lawn mower engine.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

MRC48B posted:

buy a welder and build yourself some bloodthirsty mechanical monstrosity powered by a lawn mower engine.

:yeshaha:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

don't buy wedges just buy more axes and you get wedges when they break

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

I just scored 4 vices, a 0.75 hp pedestal drill (2MT) and a 10lb sledgehammer for 700 AUD off a business closing down. Of the 4 vices, two are very heavy old English made (1x Record and 1x I can't remember the brand rn) cast iron, one is a very heavy old Australian made (Dawn) cast iron, and the last is Chinese made. Two are pivot base, two are quick release. The Chinese one I won't get much for but with minimal work to fix up I think I could get 150-200 for the non Chinese ones, all are in awesome condition for their age. Most just need a wire brush and a light sand in some spots and a touch of paint here and there and will be good to go for another few decades.

Pedestal drill is in reasonably good condition, the platen has seen better days but I'm rarely ever drilling on the platen itself if ever, usually on top of something or in a vice. Runs about 12 different speeds on belt drive, good heavy base which has allowance to be bolted down to the concrete and gives me a bit more power for drilling through harder knife steels like 12C27 and Bohler powder steels

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Calidus posted:

I have this fiskars splitting maul and it's great for firewood. https://www.fiskars.com/en-us/gardening-and-yard-care/products/axes-mauls-and-machetes/x27-super-splitting-axe-36-378841-1004
Axes are bad for splitting. Wedge and sledge works too but it's slower than a maul. If it's big log, I'll use wedge/sledge to break it in half, and then it is usually easy enough with the maul. Some species of wood split really easily (oaks, beech) and some are almost impossible to split (looking at you sweetgum and live oak :argh:). Wet, green wood usually splits much easier than dry wood. You can save yourself alot of cussing if you cut out big knots or crotches when you buck a tree up into bolts to be split.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I have that friskers but I am try split >30” diameter logs from a downed maple. I have been trying avoid using the chain saw to split these in half.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Calidus posted:

I have that friskers but I am try split >30” diameter logs from a downed maple. I have been trying avoid using the chain saw to split these in half.

That big, you may have to kerf 'em half way, use 2 wedges. That's pretty big logs.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

MRC48B posted:

The scariest DIY widowmaker log splitters I see on YouTube are all powered off of tractor PTO shafts, though the chainsaw based ones offer some good scares too.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I know a dude who made one that was a 5 foot antique steel tractor wheel that would spin up, and it would rotate to swing an axe head that had been welded on to the rim. You would operate it by letting it build speed and then shove the log under the spinning axe head. It was belt driven so if it jammed after failing to split the log, the belt would just spin in place.

I can't remember what the motor was. It may have, no kidding, been an old mercury outboard boat motor that he had rigged to water cool from a bathtub. He definitely had a different gizmo that ran like that but it may have been something other than the splitter.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

how many times did your dude get whacked in the head by his inventions before he came up with that one

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

how many times did your dude get whacked in the head by his inventions before he came up with that one

No idea but he was the head of the volunteer fire department in the town. The kind of guy who preaches safety to everyone and then starts a bonfire by pouring a gallon of diesel on top of a heap of sticks in the middle of a wooded lot.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Is he named Maurice because that's literally his invention from Beauty and the Beast

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Stan and maybe that's where he got the idea. I last saw that boy going I'm 1995

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Prime Day Deals:

Dewalt: https://smile.amazon.com/deal/6e94b986?showVariations=true&ref=dlx_early_gd_dcl_tlt_38_6e94b986_dt_sl7_a6

Bosch: https://smile.amazon.com/deal/55f9d5c1?showVariations=true&ref=dlx_early_gd_dcl_tlt_3_55f9d5c1_dt_sl7_a6

Worx: https://smile.amazon.com/deal/9b33559b?showVariations=true&ref=dlx_early_gd_dcl_tlt_2_9b33559b_dt_sl7_a6

Makita: https://smile.amazon.com/s/browse/?...9e4ab_dt_sl7_a6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

None of that dewalt stuff is particularly good/better than what occasionally happens anyway.

Disappointing. I think they're on to the grift of buying a package deal for the cost of the included battery and selling the bare tools on ebay.

I would have really liked the 4 gang charger. But not at that price.