Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

OddObserver posted:

Not really? For one thing Bialiatski is mostly fighting against Lukashenka regime.

They are also showing that in their Enlightened Norwegian Minds they don't actually see Russians, Belarusians, and Ukrainians as fully different, which is deeply offensive.

The three organisations collaborated and supported each other on more than one occasion. We are different countries, but we're in it together because of Putin. Fighting against Lukashenko's regime is fighting against Russia's imperial aspirations, shedding light on Stalin-era repressions is disrupting Kremlin's narrative about one great Russia under different names throughout centuries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://twitter.com/olliecarroll/status/1578413981076983808

Truly the dumbest possible outcome

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Sounds like it's time for the Pentagon to have a little talk with him. Also, speaking of dumb:
https://mobile.twitter.com/saintjavelin/status/1578156620722278400

(Dopa looks 100% less... dopey with the beard)

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

OddObserver posted:

Sounds like it's time for the Pentagon to have a little talk with him. Also, speaking of dumb:

Dobkin is the perfect representation of what Russian aggression has done to Ukrainian national consciousness. Completely obliterated real divisions and entirely unified the Ukrainian idea. Stepan Putin has caused the voluntary destruction of Russian cultural influence in Ukraine to a greater extant than all but the most harsh nationalists advocated for.

FishBulbia fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 7, 2022

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

FishBulbia posted:

Dobkin is the perfect repression of what Russian aggression has done to Ukrainian national consciousness. Completely obliterated real divisions and entirely unified the Ukrainian idea. Stepan Putin has caused the voluntary destruction of Russian cultural influence in Ukraine to a greater extant then all but the most harsh nationalists advocated for.

Comparison shot as of 8 years ago:

(With Gepa)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

https://twitter.com/yarotrof/status/1578413363138244608

sounds like its just alot of weird outages. mayber over streached. i can believe that musk would do it, but he would brag about it.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://twitter.com/yarotrof/status/1578413363138244608

sounds like its just alot of weird outages. mayber over streached. i can believe that musk would do it, but he would brag about it.

The US DOD is paying for it for a defense purpose, even if that is in another country. I doubt Elon would be quite so dumb as to intentionally gently caress with it. (HE certainly is stupid enough, but the person actually with hands on keyboard or relaying orders is probably aware of what is in the contract.)

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
https://mobile.twitter.com/edent/status/1578428055684538372

So is this a valid point? Maybe BS?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Seems correct:
https://mobile.twitter.com/Rebel44CZ/status/1578415337082875909

Chill Monster
Apr 23, 2014

Herstory Begins Now posted:

The more we learn about the early days of the war the less I feel like I understand how Ukraine actually stopped the Russian military. Like I get the big picture stuff and all the rot that destroyed the Russians from the inside, but the human side of it of a bunch of lightly armed uncles living in trenches in whatever tree cover they could find getting shelled and fighting off repeated russian armored pushes is just an insane accomplishment. Honestly I think people buy into the pro-ukraine propaganda about Russian incompetence too much sometimes to the extent that they lose sight of just how crazy what Ukraine accomplished really is. Incompetent and rotten or not, the Russian military never stopped being incredibly capable of unleashing destruction around it. Standing up to that and willing the possibility of victory into existence is incredible.

Yeah that's what I mean by I get the theory of why it worked but the part where they actually put it into practice and pulled it off defies my ability to comprehend. Pretty much every aspect of what Ukraine did to stop Russia is going to be shaping how wars are fought for the next century. They just wrote the textbook on several significant aspects of warfare.

One thing I think that gets overlooked about specifically the Kyiv offensive is that Belorussian partisans likely played a huge role in loving up the Russian supply lines and making an already poorly planned push into an unmitigated disaster. While Russia may be incompetent, the “incompetence” we saw on that front far outweighs anything we’ve seen anywhere else at any point in this war.

Zhanism
Apr 1, 2005
Death by Zhanism. So Judged.
I dont know if i like the idea of the UAF telling elon very timely updates on their movements.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Zhanism posted:

I dont know if i like the idea of the UAF telling elon very timely updates on their movements.

I imagine they’re not telling him unless Musk is super hands-on with every one of his companies.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Zhanism posted:

I mean besides what he could already easily find out just by where the signals are coming from, the UAF is more than likely delaying any updates to "unlock" geographic regions just as they do with news reports on liberations.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

It's not just Musk, it's Starlink employees in general. I wouldn't trust them and I think it's probably pretty reasonable for there to be some OPSEC lag in updating the coverage with a third party corporation, even if it is fulfilling a military purpose

Especially an IT company, have you ever met any tech people? Their political beliefs are often incredibly questionable, even when they aren't working for shithead billionaire scum

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Crow Buddy posted:

The US DOD is paying for it for a defense purpose, even if that is in another country. I doubt Elon would be quite so dumb as to intentionally gently caress with it. (HE certainly is stupid enough, but the person actually with hands on keyboard or relaying orders is probably aware of what is in the contract.)

I’m with this post. I think Musk is a vapid moron, but there’s a vapid moron, and then there’s a person who takes federal dollars from DoD and spends them on enabling Russia to destroy paid-for by federal dollars NATO tech operated by a quasi-allied defending army which enjoys bipartisan support on the Capitol Hill.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

boofhead posted:

It's not just Musk, it's Starlink employees in general. I wouldn't trust them and I think it's probably pretty reasonable for there to be some OPSEC lag in updating the coverage with a third party corporation, even if it is fulfilling a military purpose

Especially an IT company, have you ever met any tech people? Their political beliefs are often incredibly questionable, even when they aren't working for shithead billionaire scum

IT people have beliefs? That's news to me.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

The sanctions probably prevent Musk from providing internet to Russian combat forces in Ukraine (i've not checked to see if this is the case though) so I'm sure they are erring on blocking access to areas in Russian control and only whitelisting them when they get confirmation of Ukranian control, or whitelisting specific modems known to be in the possession of Ukrainian forces.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Libluini posted:

Idk you have a hyper concentrate of university ideas and associated decay products. Its the melting pot of fringe ideas grabbed to sound like smart guy or be in a campus social circle. You can meet ideologies you have to look up, like sparticusts.

Of course the most common are pure futurists and tech oriented ancaps, both who act very mercenary with who and what they work for.

Barrel Cactaur fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 7, 2022

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Most common IT people are ... normie liberals.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

boofhead posted:

It's an American company, tech people here are much less likely than the average American to have insane politics (but the exceptions are loud and may be disproportionately likely to work for Starlink). The people you have to watch out for are like chiropractors and regional boat dealership managers.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

A good opportunity to nationalize Starlink, imo. :colbert:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

mutata posted:

It could be called Stalink

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

We have no choice but to Stanlink

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

mutata posted:

Not a bad idea, but I want to mention that there are a lot of controls over SpaceX already, since they work directly with launching US defense hardware, and any rocket tech is a national security issue. Especially with the Starlink deal for Ukraine, I imagine the US government is involved in a lot of the logistics for that. We already know they footed some of the bill.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1578433482757271552

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Chill Monster posted:

One thing I think that gets overlooked about specifically the Kyiv offensive is that Belorussian partisans likely played a huge role in loving up the Russian supply lines and making an already poorly planned push into an unmitigated disaster. While Russia may be incompetent, the “incompetence” we saw on that front far outweighs anything we’ve seen anywhere else at any point in this war.

Yeah 100% and they paid a big price for it, too.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

A very good summary of recent events in Ukraine and on the mobilization. The source is new to me, but everything he's saying checks out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djc-aIGwUsI

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Elon Musk definitely does not have any security clearance.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

OddObserver posted:

This is my experience as well.

Justaddwater
Jul 4, 2006

Morrow posted:

Elon Musk definitely does not have any security clearance.

Pretty sure he does due to SpaceX launching some of NROs most sensitive satellites.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Justaddwater posted:

Pretty sure he does due to SpaceX launching some of NROs most sensitive satellites.

I'm sure some people who work at SpaceX have the appropriate clearance, but lets not pretend Elon personally makes any real contribution to the things his companies do

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Chalks posted:

I'm sure some people who work at SpaceX have the appropriate clearance, but lets not pretend Elon personally makes any real contribution to the things his companies do

Well. not positive contributions, no

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Libluini posted:

Most IT people believe you should turn it off then turn it on again.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

OddObserver posted:

Yeah. We’ve got one or two light libertarian types, but most of the computer touchers I work with are pretty decent human beings, surprisingly.

Now some of them are guilty of the whole “I’m good at this ONE hard thing so I’m good at all hard things” bit going on, but that seems to be common with anything difficult/highly technical to learn.

Tech billionaires are a different type of lovely, regular billionaire lovely combined with “I KNOW COMPUTER, I KNOW EVERYTHING”

tl;Dr: I’m more inclined to believe that it’s lag time re: Starlink issues in Ukraine

E: and if musk were doing something, he’d say it. He’s an egotist, he wouldn’t be able to stop himself. Look at what he did with something stupid like the twitter deal he hosed. He has no discipline for poo poo like that.

tehinternet fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 7, 2022

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

OddObserver posted:

Hey it’s me, the guy TOTALLY fighting a war in a fresh from the cleaners plate carrier, helmet and uniform

What guys, I’m totally fighting, no REALLY

I mean for real, I’m surprised he doesn’t have tags hanging off of them

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/geoconfirmed/status/1578476200917225472

Edit: Hitting critical levels of Girkin

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1578401943495614465

Edit2: lmao

https://twitter.com/ian_matveev/status/1578410192164765698

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 7, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Say what you will, it generates very effective passive smoke screen

Girkin tapping into the centuries old seductive Russian sentiment of 'wow if someone could just efficiently channel the vast resources of Russian into a single goal we would be unstoppable.'

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

That thing sounds like a distressed blender making too many margaritas at once lmao

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
seriously how is that thing permanently wrapped in a cloud of smoke, even when it's accelerating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Herstory Begins Now posted:

seriously how is that thing permanently wrapped in a cloud of smoke, even when it's accelerating

good for cover imo