Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

So what can you do to remedy the situation? Who did you get the truck from, a reputable dealer or somebody selling it from under a bridge arch?

he bought it from the same guy who sold him the windows. :imunfunny:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Dog
Dec 27, 2005

There once was a time I did not find joy in the misfortunes of others but I can no longer say that, this all too good

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

:cripes:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Either you are the unluckiest schlimazel in the world, or you have extremely poor judgement when it comes to choosing who you do business with

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

It’s not something that they teach in school or whatever but via some form of received wisdom the very first thing I remember being told about buying a used car is don’t do it in some service station somewhere, big old red flag.

So I was very worried as soon as I saw the petrol station photo.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Yet he did it to create entertainment for goons, god bless.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Oct 7, 2022

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Failed Imagineer posted:

Either you are the unluckiest schlimazel in the world, or you have extremely poor judgement when it comes to choosing who you do business with

Well, I bought an account here so...

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Oh my
:cripes:
I hope things somehow work out.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

:five:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Have you designated a break room area in the house for future maintenance workers? Maybe with a private bathroom and shower?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Ohh, where's the garage and chargepoints for the EVs?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

hello.

So lets just give up wondering if things are going badly and get on with working.

Don't have much to say but I reckon this is quite pretty

whilst a boring post, at least no one can photoshop osama bin laden all over it.

Right so I've got to do the hip ridges. A massive pain. Metal work and mortaring

don't really know what I'm doing

but seems ok

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Can you explain in more detail how the hip ridge tiles are installed? Are any fasteners used, or is the bottom most tile resting against that piece of aluminum, and then everything else is a mixture of gravity, friction, and mortar?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

MetaJew posted:

Can you explain in more detail how the hip ridge tiles are installed? Are any fasteners used, or is the bottom most tile resting against that piece of aluminum, and then everything else is a mixture of gravity, friction, and mortar?

Yeah I can try.

So you can see in this earlier photo how the gist of it works. Down the hips we run a batten with an (obviously) L shaped bracket with a pretty curly end on it attached at the end as a sort of catch footer?

Its also mandated now that you have to have mechanical attachment of every ridge tile rather than just gunky mortar so thats what that big screw with the catch wsher and self healing rubber bung is about. But they're missing the corner batten. So I double then in fact triple it so the screw catches into something.

Its a bit rubbish but I think its intended to avoid the issue of useless roofers doing a really rubbish job (hi) of the mortaring in of ridge tiles. Its a sort of discernible checkable thing. Have they got a mechanical fixing on each tile? Yes/No ok thats good enough.

Its not a great photo as it cuts of the curly bit but you can see that bracket installed at the bottom of the hip just solely to stop the ridge falling off mainly whilst you install it

And heres an image of a few tiles in situ with mortar

Note the missing mechanical fixings. I came back and drilled through the mortar to install them later. This was a real pain and didn't really work and also meant you couldn't move any further on as you needed access to come back and install them. Later I figured out how to do it all in one go.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Lol sorry that post was a bit unnecessary, I could have just quoted this

MetaJew posted:

everything else is a mixture of gravity, friction, and mortar?

and said yeah pretty much

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I don't know why I'm looking at your tiling job at 1:40 AM (because I've lost control of my life), but that looks really nice

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

lol yeah that is pretty nuts, thanks. and thank god i'm not up at said hour posting pictures of my roof

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

That looks really tedious to do but the result is nice. Keeps looking more and more like a house.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I love that look! Here in Vancouver BC basically nothing is roofed in that pattern but it has a huge aesthetic. Maybe because I'm not used to it?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The tiles, look good.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I like looking at those tiles. Pretty roof.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

NotJustANumber99 posted:

hello.

So lets just give up wondering if things are going badly and get on with working.

Don't have much to say but I reckon this is quite pretty

whilst a boring post, at least no one can photoshop osama bin laden all over it.

Good tiliing job!

If you run out of tiles let me know, I have a couple of hundred of those.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

CancerCakes posted:

Good tiliing job!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

CancerCakes posted:

Good tiliing job!

roflmao

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Tiles of different sizes gives a nice finish.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
good job with them tiles bud

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

This guy's got tiles for miles

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

How sturdy are those battens you're standing on? It honestly looks a bit precarious, especially as the roof seems pretty steeply pitched.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Meaty Ore posted:

How sturdy are those battens you're standing on? It honestly looks a bit precarious, especially as the roof seems pretty steeply pitched.

The batten is blue. yo can get red and gold and all sorts. But anyway mine is 25 by 38mm. The point of it is its supposed to be walkable on. and it mostly is. Every now and again you fall through one. But I've bought like a couple of miles worth and you just have to live with that. But yeah. its supposed to support us on the roof. roof is 45degrees

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

lol bit more tiles

looking at the velux window flashings

Ok get it I think

Then of course

the arms fall of the digger

its literally just pulled through the washer. easy to replace

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Wait what? You're saying the pin fell out of the FEL of the digger there? It didn't break?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

yeah it just pulled through the washer and fell out

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The front fell off

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

will you have cartoon network at your house when i come and visit

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Jaded Burnout posted:

The front fell off

Is that normal?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That's not very typical. I'd like to make that point.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Looks like a pretty good punch you have there, too bad you didn't mean to make a punch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always