Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Eiffel Tower is very strongly rumored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I continued to rework stuff on K MP's Mad Max mod for the F&F charger until I was happy with it. They got the shape of it so right, it really doesn't look all that different haha, but I actually did do a ton of work on it, I redid the backend entirely which was pretty bare bones, and reshaped the windows to look a bit closer to the real thing, replaced the windshield, spoiler, redid the tanks, added the tire, made the tiles consistent and reinforced the whole thing. At the end of the day I can't take credit for about 80% of this, but I feel like I have the (almost) perfect speed champions interceptor now. I'd still like to figure out a way to make 1x2 gold vents work for headights, but I need some parts and I'm still not sure it'll look great. Also getting all 8 exhaust pipes in would be nice but the math doesnt really work without them taking up way too much space.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
2022 had the galaxy explorer, succulents, orchid, and the pyramid.
The pyramid is also really great. I just need to keep myself from buying the second half

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

HootTheOwl posted:

The pyramid is also really great. I just need to keep myself from buying the second half

That's on my want to buy but not at full price maybe at 25% off list. The second half, I mean. Don't like the first half as much.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I took the cover, turned it backwards and sort of rested it on the edge and I think that's how I'd display the full thing

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
The pyramid is a two parter?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Dogen posted:

One set, two alternate builds that go together.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

HootTheOwl posted:

Don't forget the tallneck! I love it

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
I was talking about it in the discord a week or two ago but I don't feel great about 2022.

It's not like I can't think of a slew of great sets, though. The 90th anniversary sets are awesome, and the Galaxy Explorer specifically is phenomenal. Starry Night is one of my favorite Ideas sets ever. Boutique Hotel is an incredible modular as far as I'm concerned. There are some other really great standouts here and there too, like Butthole Tiger, the Lightyear spaceship, the small Technic motorcycle, and the Horizon Tallneck. There are even a couple of themes that had some of their best years ever, those being Speed Champions and Friends IMO. Monkie Kid was pretty rad, too, as were the two new Botanical sets.

That said, it had a lot of disappointment, too. I've been talking about 'em all year so I won't go into details but here's a dumb list: the Hulkbuster, Black Panther bust, The Justifier, Camaro (when compared to the cars that came before it), Lighthouse (for cost alone), Mini Haunted Mansion (only disappointing coming off the back of the out-loving-standing Mini Disney Castle), Atari, Stuntz in general (2021 was SO good, but at least we got the bathtub bike this year), really expensive Star Wars dioramas, Table Football, Technic Material Handler - oh and all those pullback sets, display sets, and other Technic sets that didn't have any Technic functions! And then yet another sitcom Ideas set, that goddamn massive Hogwarts Express, and so on.

It's just that I can't usually think of this many iffy sets off the top of my head, and a lot of those duds (to me) were REALLY EXPENSIVE, too. Just a string of announcements from LEGO that just made me go "okay, pass." Add to that the general price increases and it's pretty easy to focus on the negatives.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Credit where credit is due the Atari is a pretty drat impressive looking set, but much like the Nintendo I have no idea why I’m supposed to want one on my shelf especially at that price point.

I’d probably have gotten both of them if they were mini versions that cost less than $50 but I have no interest in having a whole rear end fake Atari on display.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
LEGO 2022: Okay, pass.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

veni veni veni posted:

Credit where credit is due the Atari is a pretty drat impressive looking set, but much like the Nintendo I have no idea why I’m supposed to want one on my shelf especially at that price point.

I’d probably have gotten both of them if they were mini versions that cost less than $50 but I have no interest in having a whole rear end fake Atari on display.
I liked the Nintendo because the elements of it all made sense to display contextually with each other. It's a console plugged into a TV with a controller and a game to put in it. Makes sense. The Atari is just, like, vignette side builds that don't exist in the same "world" as the console itself does, so if it's gonna chill on my desk and try to look real, they almost kind of detract. And they certainly don't need to be there bumping the price up.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

veni veni veni posted:

Completely agree. I'm a sucker for nostalgia (bought GE, new castle, optimus, etc etc) and I had an atari 2600 and a NES growing up. Love both sets, iconic, and the idea of a lego version blew my mind, but I saw the price and was instantly out.

Also, what's up with the hate on the red light bricks?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think people are just annoyed that the iron man stuff is supposed to be blue. Which is a reasonable complaint for a $550 set

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

ChesterJT posted:

Also, what's up with the hate on the red light bricks?

They’re a feature I rarely use, but what always surprised me about them is that LEGO didn’t make a white-light brick that shines through a stud that you could put a translucent tile on, like a LEGO gel and fresnel. It seems more in-keeping with their ideologies. :shrug:

I suppose when the part was introduced, white LEDs were comparatively expensive, but not sure what the reticence is now.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
An underrated part of 2022 for me were the City sets, specifically the park/agriculture stuff. I actually made a little park display in my main cabinet that's one set short from being 'complete'. Also, both of the Ninjago flagship mechs were really good, although the Ultra Combo mech fell off my shelf twice.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I don't generally buy that many sets anyway, so getting the tallneck and the castle made it a good year for me.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

The Atari set looks awesome, I securely want to get that and the NES… and the bowser someday lol

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Dogen posted:

It can be displayed as one, and they're even a pyramid interior if you do, but also it's only half a pyramid, and there's two axel holes in the base because they know you'll want to plug a second one into it

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Skios posted:

An underrated part of 2022 for me were the City sets, specifically the park/agriculture stuff. I actually made a little park display in my main cabinet that's one set short from being 'complete'. Also, both of the Ninjago flagship mechs were really good, although the Ultra Combo mech fell off my shelf twice.

The space stuff for City is also pretty good and while the line hasn't had the killer year that Friends has had it's a step up from the last few.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Still waiting for a chance to buy the Tallneck personally

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Oh, the trench run was also this year and that one is cool too

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Building the 90th year anniversary castle with my boy, almost done with the first half of it. Really like the way they make everything so compact yet still playable. Appreciate all the little stairs making everything minifig accessible.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Just finished Optimus Prime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3DoNzZIKbk

veni veni veni posted:

I continued to rework stuff on K MP's Mad Max mod for the F&F charger until I was happy with it. They got the shape of it so right, it really doesn't look all that different haha, but I actually did do a ton of work on it, I redid the backend entirely which was pretty bare bones, and reshaped the windows to look a bit closer to the real thing, replaced the windshield, spoiler, redid the tanks, added the tire, made the tiles consistent and reinforced the whole thing. At the end of the day I can't take credit for about 80% of this, but I feel like I have the (almost) perfect speed champions interceptor now. I'd still like to figure out a way to make 1x2 gold vents work for headights, but I need some parts and I'm still not sure it'll look great. Also getting all 8 exhaust pipes in would be nice but the math doesnt really work without them taking up way too much space.

This is the ducks guts

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

This year made me really want to be back into Lego, and I bought 3 sets; and started rebuilding all my childhood Lego.

I'm at the point where I have to order parts I lost to re-complete sets, which I'm looking forward to.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I have a couple questions about the Lego Mario sets.

Are they done? I've looked them over and as far as I can see, they have hit on pretty much every environment, character and enemy type. There doesn't seem to be much left.

And how does someone play with them? I kinda get the moving Mario around onto tiles, but what is the point? Is there any actual danger? I know some sets have play elements but is there a way for Mario to lose a life or something?

I'm wondering how well these things have done. They are constantly on sale for relatively big discounts 20+%. I wonder if they are going to try to do a Lego Mario video game at some point.

This makes me think about Dimensions and how the final sets were never released which is kinda sad.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Waltzing Along posted:

And how does someone play with them? I kinda get the moving Mario around onto tiles, but what is the point? Is there any actual danger? I know some sets have play elements but is there a way for Mario to lose a life or something?

My gut reaction to this was utter bewilderment, as though kids haven't been getting along just fine playing Lego with only their imaginations. But it's an interesting point that the Mario sets do kinda rip away part of that by hand-holding for most of the experience, but then without the kinds of satisfying conclusions actual games let you achieve.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
I want more microscale sets of the Mario 64 levels, to the point where I've been designing the other 12 in my mind. Might have to start building them irl with what I've got or learn to use stud.io

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Koramei posted:

My gut reaction to this was utter bewilderment, as though kids haven't been getting along just fine playing Lego with only their imaginations. But it's an interesting point that the Mario sets do kinda rip away part of that by hand-holding for most of the experience, but then without the kinds of satisfying conclusions actual games let you achieve.

Exactly. With zero danger, what is the point?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

It can be displayed as one, and they're even a pyramid interior if you do, but also it's only half a pyramid, and there's two axel holes in the base because they know you'll want to plug a second one into it

It's a bit weird if it's just doubled up

But here's a cool variation:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Yeah, that looks really good.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Waltzing Along posted:

My nephew got a few of them and I watched him play with it for a while. It seems like you connect your various environments together however you want to build a level. Then you have Mario start the game and you just have him hop along and then tap him on various stickers on top of blocks, items, and enemies. I think there is a timer and then it shows how many coins you got or something. It's hardly a game as there are no rules, no stakes, and no way to lose aside from just not scanning things. You just tap it on things to hear the noises. That in itself could be fun, but I think there is a timer, which means you can't really play how you want. If I was a kid, I would want Mario to just always make the noises when he jumped on things without any "game" attached to it, because there's no way to actually make this into a game. It feels like a half baked idea that they moved forward on just assuming kids will find a way to make it fun.

There's nothing in it for an adult aside from brick built things from Mario and you can have it make noises. It just feels really strange that this is from LEGO of all companies. I wouldn't expect them to put out something that sounded really awesome on paper but couldn't be fleshed out into anything interesting. At least not nowadays. It makes me wonder if there was some sort of requirement from Nintendo that it have this electronic Mario featured in it. In my mind, these exact sets but with minifigs of Mario, Luigi, Peach, and whoever else would have been much better. It wouldn't make the noises, but kids could do literally whatever they wanted with it and integrate it with their other things and just make the noises on their own.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Carbohydrates posted:

I built the thing! The Transgenderal Lee:

I'm just dropping by from another thread to give you thumbs up.
:thumbsup: you did good kid.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

This looks genuine, apart from the misspelling of Pippin

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The horse is an odd choice

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Odder then not one but two rocks?

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Weird to split up Sam and Frodo, Pippin and Merry, Gimli and Legolas. Not from a marketing standpoint, I guess

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Real ones don’t have bases either. Guessing this is just a photoshopped MOC.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

smackfu posted:

Real ones don’t have bases either. Guessing this is just a photoshopped MOC.

Some recent ones do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
It's fake. Originally posted as MOCs on... I think Eurobricks? Creator wasn't trying to fool anyone, either, but someone reposted them as a "leak" I guess.