Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
you can knock her out of the sky when she’s charging up the AOE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Most important thing that helped me beat Sigrun was learning that she only "borrows" from a few valkyrie movesets at a time so you don't have to be prepared for absolutely everything, just the most dangerous attack of whatever moveset she's currently using.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Hopper posted:

That last Valkyrie in GoW18 is some unfair bullshit. Arena-wide unblocklae aoe,

you're supposed to have the boy shoot her when she's doing the wind up for that, she'll get staggered out of it from a single arrow

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Oxxidation posted:

you can knock her out of the sky when she’s charging up the AOE

Somehow I literally never thought to try this, and now I realize it’s extremely obvious. :kratos:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It took me two hours to beat two Valkyries (Gondul and I think, Eir) and I started making enormous progress* once I figured out that you should shoot them or throw the axe at them to stop them from doing their AOE attack while they're in the air.

*I mean like, depleting 6 bars of their health compared to 1 and a half beforehand.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
general advice for valkyries is that you never attack while they're attacking, unless it's with a runic technique. most of their moves have a counter that will leave them vulnerable to an axe combo, and you just keep tagging them with those in between pummeling them with runics and staggering them with atreus

the ax R2 runic that infuses the weapon with frost does an unholy amount of damage and increases stagger as well, i usually hacked off 2-3 health segments as soon as the fight started by using atreus' wolf summon to stunlock them and wailing on them with that move

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

History Comes Inside! posted:

Isn’t warzone the free version now so you can get called slurs by children in a gaas nightmare instead

no.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the adaptive triggers in MWII are sooooo good. sound design is great too. The story doesn’t seem as good as MW19 so far.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

the adaptive triggers in MWII are sooooo good. sound design is great too. The story doesn’t seem as good as MW19 so far.

Just simulating the trigger pull of guns, or something special?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

general advice for valkyries is that you never attack while they're attacking, unless it's with a runic technique. most of their moves have a counter that will leave them vulnerable to an axe combo, and you just keep tagging them with those in between pummeling them with runics and staggering them with atreus

the ax R2 runic that infuses the weapon with frost does an unholy amount of damage and increases stagger as well, i usually hacked off 2-3 health segments as soon as the fight started by using atreus' wolf summon to stunlock them and wailing on them with that move

Huh, never would've thought to use that. I'm addicted to spin to win, the holding light attack and throwing the axe like a sawblade boomerang at them.

That was also about 3 years after last playing it, I did it while I was hanging out with my dad for my birthday last year, I had to figure out how to play it again after getting rusty and managed to wipe out two of them.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I signed up for the list to buy a ps5 through playstation direct pretty early this year. I still haven't heard anything. Is that normal?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

actionjackson posted:

I signed up for the list to buy a ps5 through playstation direct pretty early this year. I still haven't heard anything. Is that normal?

Not really, especially as stock has improved dramatically in the last 4 months. Usually people get invited in 6 weeks or less. I'd suggest logging into your PSN account and checking your notification settings regarding promotions etc.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Not really, especially as stock has improved dramatically in the last 4 months. Usually people get invited in 6 weeks or less. I'd suggest logging into your PSN account and checking your notification settings regarding promotions etc.

hmm yeah I never heard anything for some reason

do they have a support email I could contact?

is anyone actually selling the ps5 at msrp? I can't find anything

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Just simulating the trigger pull of guns, or something special?

yeah the trigger pulls but they’re different per gun and there’s so man guns.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

actionjackson posted:

hmm yeah I never heard anything for some reason

do they have a support email I could contact?

is anyone actually selling the ps5 at msrp? I can't find anything

walmart, amazon, best buy, and direct all sell at msrp, though it may be a boxed bundle with horizon forbidden west. gamestop will absolutely tack poo poo on. i don't think a support email will get you anywhere, it's all automated i think, though if you're a regular psn user they may play favorites vs first time buyer i dunno

direct is the best bet followed by amazon.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

walmart, amazon, best buy, and direct all sell at msrp, though it may be a boxed bundle with horizon forbidden west. gamestop will absolutely tack poo poo on.

direct is the best bet followed by amazon.

is there a way to get notified by direct when it will be available?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

actionjackson posted:

is there a way to get notified by direct when it will be available?

yes, if your psn account is set up to recieve notification promo emails you will get notified and given a window of time you can go online and grab it. as i said, i think direct will give you the best chance, also free shipping to ps+ subs, and they are the fastest. prolly good to grab one asap because holiday rush will demolish stock again under the semiconductor shortage and we might not see more until summer 2023 when FF16 hits.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I think my favorite use of the triggers was in Far Cry 6, where there’s an increase in resistance of the left trigger at the mid point. It marks the point between peeking from cover and aiming down the sights (thus exposing yourself).

That same system is there on regular controllers, but I would often unintentionally get out of cover without that extra resistance as an indicator. To me that showed that the tech has a lot of creative potential, that’s probably going to be underutilized like the touchpad was.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

fridge corn posted:

Played more ac Valhalla today. This game is dumb as hell. Finished the "suthsexe" arc so it was fun going all around my ends but the sidequest writing is terrible memey garbage. Almost every sidequest is some dumb obvious direct reference and today we had alice in wonderland and that Fenton guy that went viral like 10 years ago. Haha everybody remember Fenton? Remember?? I bet the ppl who remember fenton will be all like haha remember fenton?? Ha ha ... :doh:

Have you played the baseball one? That's actually a cameo by, I think, Cody Bellinger.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Augus posted:

you're supposed to have the boy shoot her when she's doing the wind up for that, she'll get staggered out of it from a single arrow

Boy is fully upgraded but his arrows don't do poo poo to her somehow. I have been hammering that boy button, but the only thing that gets her out of the sky is my axe and thanks to that genius artsy sluggish "single take" camera movement, I often can't turn around and find her fast enough to hit her on time.

It was fine for the rest of the game, but this fight is driving me nuts.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

yes, if your psn account is set up to recieve notification promo emails you will get notified and given a window of time you can go online and grab it. as i said, i think direct will give you the best chance, also free shipping to ps+ subs, and they are the fastest. prolly good to grab one asap because holiday rush will demolish stock again under the semiconductor shortage and we might not see more until summer 2023 when FF16 hits.

alright I finally found the setting to be added to marketing emails, thanks

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Hopper posted:

Boy is fully upgraded but his arrows don't do poo poo to her somehow. I have been hammering that boy button, but the only thing that gets her out of the sky is my axe and thanks to that genius artsy sluggish "single take" camera movement, I often can't turn around and find her fast enough to hit her on time.

There’s a quick turn, by the way, and this is maybe the only time in the game you really need to use it.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Casnorf posted:

Have you played the baseball one? That's actually a cameo by, I think, Cody Bellinger.

Lol yeah I did play that one. I didn't realise it was an actual pro mlb player they got to do that guy. On one hand it's kinda cool but on the other (much larger hand..??) it really sucks cuz p much every sidequest in the game is a dumb gimmick like this

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

fridge corn posted:

Lol yeah I did play that one. I didn't realise it was an actual pro mlb player they got to do that guy. On one hand it's kinda cool but on the other (much larger hand..??) it really sucks cuz p much every sidequest in the game is a dumb gimmick like this

Eh, they mostly feel silly and fun. The few side missions that aren't are...relentlessly grim, as befits the time, I suppose. The Beowulf one was...ooof. No great deeds commemorated here. One of my favorite sidequests in a game ever.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Idk if anyone posted this leaked footage from Kojima’s new game ‘overdose’, but it looks interesting!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJv7lDXu3XM

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Hopper posted:

works on my machine

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Atreus can’t hit hard enough to knock them out of the air on higher difficulties. the arrows might not work at all on Sigrun

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

imhotep posted:

Have you played… outer wilds. Just because i can’t shut up about it, but the devs said they made it because they were frustrated with how linear and hand holdy Zelda had become, so they made outer wilds in an attempt to do the opposite I guess. It’s not at all like Zelda, but you might appreciate it because of how unique it is.

Yeah game owns! At some point I hope to try the dlc

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Oxxidation posted:

Atreus can’t hit hard enough to knock them out of the air on higher difficulties. the arrows might not work at all on Sigrun

You can knock her down on gmgow by using electric arrows, but the effect has to happen. Throwing Leviathan's Wake is the most reliable way for me.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
Holy cow bought the new golf game and now my ps5 will not power on. Going to start with a new power cord I guess? Scared

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

A Concrete Divider posted:

Holy cow bought the new golf game and now my ps5 will not power on. Going to start with a new power cord I guess? Scared

My ps5 sort of did this once, I forgot if it showed the PlayStation logo on the screen or if it just didn’t turn on, but it was worrying, so I googled a bit and I started it in safe mode and ended up having to do a factory reset (I forget how you start it in safe mode but if you look it up it’s easy to find out every step you need to do). But it’s worked without a problem since then, hopefully that works if it’s actually not turning on.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Augus posted:

works on my machine

Weird, I'll check if I can be arsed to try again, I am on NG+ Easy because it's a replay to see the story again, maybe that's why. The only effect I noticed the boy having in 15+ tries is he yells warnings and sometimes throws a heal to me.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
If you want to turn around push down on the d pad.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Reinstalled GoW to get myself a little prepped for Ragnarok, man it's been a while and i'm trying to relearn all the controls. I think I beat 2-3 of the Valkyries then gave up after the harder ones wrecked me hard. Also wasn't a huge fan of some of the late game content like Nilfheim.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Pre-ordered god of war BOY-narok and honestly I was so surprised it’s already able to pre-download it felt like a big smack in the face when the notification said ‘ready to play’.

I wanna fuckin play it now.

But then I remembered the second it unlocks it’s probably going to need a 40gig day one patch anyway

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Well gently caress me, the ages old technique of complaining on the Internet worked. 6 more tries and she is dead.

However, I needed to use the Atreus squirrel that digs up healing items. Useful trick to get more heals.
In NG+ Atreus really doesn't seem to be able to shoot her down at all though. I was lucky and axed her out of the aoe 3 times during the last fight.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Nov 6, 2022

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Aipsh posted:

Pre-ordered god of war BOY-narok and honestly I was so surprised it’s already able to pre-download it felt like a big smack in the face when the notification said ‘ready to play’.

I wanna fuckin play it now.

But then I remembered the second it unlocks it’s probably going to need a 40gig day one patch anyway

Patches preload now too for most games

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating

imhotep posted:

My ps5 sort of did this once, I forgot if it showed the PlayStation logo on the screen or if it just didn’t turn on, but it was worrying, so I googled a bit and I started it in safe mode and ended up having to do a factory reset (I forget how you start it in safe mode but if you look it up it’s easy to find out every step you need to do). But it’s worked without a problem since then, hopefully that works if it’s actually not turning on.

I unplugged it and it worked this morning
Phew
Thanks for the help

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Hopper posted:

Well gently caress me, the ages old technique of complaining on the Internet worked. 6 more tries and she is dead.

However, I needed to use the Atreus squirrel that digs up healing items. Useful trick to get more heals.
In NG+ Atreus really doesn't seem to be able to shoot her down at all though. I was lucky and axed her out of the aoe 3 times during the last fight.

You got good. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Ragnarok’s accessibility features have been revealed and they’re pretty drat comprehensive.

I managed GoW2018 without any additional options but it’s nice to know they exist in the new game.