Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I'm roughly at the point where I'm not sure houses are sensible at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

have you considered building an underground bunker too?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I'm roughly at the point where I'm not sure houses are sensible at all?

Ah, you really are fully into this house build.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

which of course now means theres a spanner in the bottom of the tank that I will now need to get back at some point before filling with poo.

You're posting fom inside the bin?

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
Talk about the internet of things

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

More like the internet of pongs! Lol!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
What in the world is going on here? Internet poo tanks with pumps? Shooting nail guns at everything?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
:shitman:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Takes shitposting to a new level.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Digging the trench that joins up from the existing trench that was never fully covered back up, past the pumping station and to the front door of the house. It'll need to be done in two phases with the stuff run and covered back up in the first half of the trench so I can then turn round and park on that bit to do the second half.

Didn't really think about the extending arm when the digger was bought, but its come in really handy, wouldn't have been able to dig the pumping station hole without it.

Need to disconnect the temporary tap and reroute it down the new trench.

Then stick power cable on top after some sand and stuff.

Then backfill that and dig the second half. Which will be easier with the digger arm on the other side of the digger. Which involves going off to an open space extending the arm out, releasing the hydraulic holding bolts and dragging and pushing it in no particular and definitely undignified fashion until you've made a right mess of the ground but now the arms on the other side.

Then dig the other half of trench.

Stick water pipe in some insulation and pull through the underfloor conduit which was actually pretty easy. Same with the electricity cable and the pump power and data lines.

This looks a mess but I promise I laid everything neatly in sand and seperated accordingly just didnt need to upload even more photos. Then everything electric gets some warning tape put on top.

Cover all that back over, then head up to the manhole by the road and start digging back to the pumping station to finally get properly connected to the mains sewers.

Sexy straight trench sides.

Need to break through the old, and tough, engineering bricks of the manhole. Lots of drills and chisels and swearing in the heat.

Success.

I'll have two lengths of 110mm waste pipe before the manhole so its not directly pumping under pressure into the manhole to hopefully encourage things to not get splattered everywhere and flow a little more nicely. Which is all lovely to think about.

I've broken up a bit of the concrete benching at the bottom of the manhole (which involved climbing down into it and sticking my face up close on occasion) which I could probably have got away without doing but again its supposed to be the better way to do things and seeing as this manhole is shared with the busy pub next door probably best to try and not do a poo poo job and be continually blocking it up.

Cut the end of the pipe on an angle and remake the benching into a nice smooth poo poo chute.

Carry trench on round the corner, ignore that bit of blue water pipe crossing the trench, its some leftover piperun that the previous owner ran quite shallow from the house to the stable block that we never really got told about. All defunct now.

Heres the joint to go from 63mm pipe out into the 110mm.

And all connected up.

Cover back up.

Now time to make my own little manhole extender on top of the pumping station up to ground level. Taped a plastic lid on temporarily so I don't drop any mortar or whatever down there.

Bought a new 25tonne cast iron lid to replace the pressed steel 10tonne one that came with the pumping station.

Sorting out all the electrics.

Making up the 4 float switches that will control the pump operation.

All put together with the pumps lowered back in on their chains so you can pull them back up to... deal with any problems that arise.

Oh and earlier on my neighbour came round with his big magnet and I managed to fish out my dropped spanner.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Looks like some good work all round.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

Amazing to think about all the high velocity poo poo and piss jetting down that pipe. I guess it just waits until it detects enough S&P in the big tank and then pumps it all out, rather than pumping out every individual piss you do right? Does it also macerate?

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

you'll have knowledge of the direct journey your poop takes from your house to the sewer, something only a few lucky men get.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Need to break through the old, and tough, engineering bricks of the manhole. Lots of drills and chisels and swearing in the heat.

Success.

I'll have two lengths of 110mm waste pipe before the manhole so its not directly pumping under pressure into the manhole to hopefully encourage things to not get splattered everywhere and flow a little more nicely. Which is all lovely to think about.

am I understanding this right: there was a brick-walled underground "shitwell" that is the public sewer system, and you just broke through the wall of said shitwell so you could stick a pipe through it, which will just drop poo poo and piss into the shitwell, and the city is just like "yeah man have at it, it's on you if you gently caress it up lol it's just a shitwell, a hole in the ground for poo poo and piss that connects to a greater network of increasingly larger shitwells/sewage tunnels."

cause in a way it's obvious it works like that but also this is blowing my mind, if i'm actually grasping this as a layman-moron

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oK0NRgbZVmA

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Gasmask posted:

Amazing to think about all the high velocity poo poo and piss jetting down that pipe. I guess it just waits until it detects enough S&P in the big tank and then pumps it all out, rather than pumping out every individual piss you do right? Does it also macerate?

If it doesn’t show a turd evacuation count I don’t even want to know anymore lame

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Tempora Mutantur posted:

am I understanding this right: there was a brick-walled underground "shitwell" that is the public sewer system, and you just broke through the wall of said shitwell so you could stick a pipe through it, which will just drop poo poo and piss into the shitwell, and the city is just like "yeah man have at it, it's on you if you gently caress it up lol it's just a shitwell, a hole in the ground for poo poo and piss that connects to a greater network of increasingly larger shitwells/sewage tunnels."

cause in a way it's obvious it works like that but also this is blowing my mind, if i'm actually grasping this as a layman-moron

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oK0NRgbZVmA

Not quite, no. That shitwell is just an inspection chamber, same as the modern round plastic ones. It's just rectangular and brick because it's old.

It's hard to tell from the photos and drawings but it looks like the chamber is on private property, either OP's or the pub's or some combination thereof. The rules for ownership of drains and sewers are:
1. if it's on private property and only fed from one property, it's a private drain, and the property owner owns and is responsible for it all the way up to the boundary
2. if it's on public property it's owned and kept by whatever regional private wastewater company monopoly was sold it during privatisation
3. if it's on private property and is fed from multiple properties then it's a private sewer.
3a. if the private sewer was in place AND SHARED prior to one of the relevant acts being passed then it probably belongs to the wastewater company, and becomes a "public" sewer.
3b. if the private sewer was in place or shared AFTER the most recent of these acts (I think 2010? 2015?) then it still belongs and is the responsibility of whomever owns the land it's on, and is still a private sewer.

So if the house (or some other property) shared it with the pub prior, then it remains property of the wastewater company and they'd probably want to know about the work. If it wasn't then someone's now responsible for two buildings' worth of S&P and hopefully they both discussed it first. Under no (or maybe few?) circumstances does the city/county own any of it. There's some more complicated rules for apartment buildings and chains of houses and things like that but I don't know those.

In either case, any drain work that ultimately leads to the "public" sewer has to undergo building control inspection like the rest of OP's building, but that doesn't really have anything to do with the wastewater company, but is the closest thing to the "city" caring.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 17, 2022

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

^^^edit oops. Mostly all this is right and maybe I've misused the term lateral drain. But the waterboard are responsible for clearing any blockage of the drains where they are shared on my property, not me and the pub.

Gasmask posted:

The four dongling switches manage the pumps. The water level never drops below the lowest one so the pumps stay primed. When the level hits the next switch it picks one of the pumps at random to run to pump back down to the lowpoint. If it hits the next one up which I dunno how it would then it runs both pumps for turbo power poo pumping. If it hits the top switch the alarm goes off.

It does not macerate. We shall see how effective it is at shoving stuff up that narrow 63mm pipe but so far on test runs with just water it empties the whole tank in no time.

everdave posted:

If it doesn’t show a turd evacuation count I don’t even want to know anymore lame

I should have put a glass observation window in at some point with a poo poo ticker counter youre right.

Tempora Mutantur posted:

am I understanding this right:

The local water company which used to be the government but is now a company, probably owned by the french or something, owns and maintains all the mains sewers that run under the roads and stuff. They are much deeper and fatter. I had told them I was going to directly connect to their main sewer, for which I had to pay them a fee.

I then had to go and find another company with the correct credentials to actually carry out this work as I'm not allowed to dig in the road or touch the public sewer. This company wanted I dunno £15,000. And probably the traffic lights wasn't included with that.

I also decided that the sewer in the road was not deep enough under ground to fall into anyway.

A long time ago my property was all together with the pub and when they put in their connection to the mains sewer, at a particular point they needed to go round a corner so they built that manhole. This is a lateral private drain, not owned or maintained by the water company.

Now that the properties have all been subdivided up over the years that manhole has ended up on my property. Its mine. I own it. But the pub's poo poo and piss has a legal right to traverse underneath me through it.

I asked the waterboard if I could connect into this instead (which would need the pumping station as its not very deep down at all). They said it was nothing to do with them and they couldn't stop me. So I did it.

This now means that the bit of pipe between that manhole that the mains sewer in the road is serving two properties and so legally the maintenance (but not ownership) falls to the waterboard. And they owe me some money back because the connection fee for connecting to a private drain rather than the main drain is less but I havent figured out how to get that back yet.

Theres also another sewerage infrastructure fee paid regardless of how you connect of £490 per property which I had to pay as part of the mains water connection.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 17, 2022

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Actually this was so long ago that I can't find any of the stuff on it so it might well be that the pub and myself are responsible for maintaining that shared bit.

edit. Changed my mind again. I'm not responsible!

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Nov 17, 2022

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Actually this was so long ago that I can't find any of the stuff on it so it might well be that the pub and myself are responsible for maintaining that shared bit.

edit. Changed my mind again. I'm not responsible!

I would dearly love to be proven wrong on this but my understanding (after many lengthy discussions with people at southern water) is that this only applied to sewers which existed as sewers (not just drains) on July 1st 2011:

defra posted:

Any private sewer which, immediately before 1 July 2011, communicates with a public sewer will transfer.

None of the helpful diagrams and descriptions explain what happens for drains *after* 2011.

HOWEVER in double checking this just now I have found that there was a secondary piece of legislation that does say what happens, so maybe they're still responsible? The bits about having an agreement in place have been repealed, apparently.
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/29/section/42#statusWarningSubSections

So I reckon I'll have a chat with Ofwat and see what they have to say.

In you case it may be even more complicated since it was all one previously and there's an easement or whatever for the pub. In practical terms as long as you can call the wastewater company and they'll actually come out and fix it you're golden. I can't :(

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Yeah I've been sitting here looking at everything again and I can't figure it out.

As you say everywhere just has those little diagrams and doesn't get any further into it.

I think the answer is it'll be a big argument.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Just forget all that and install the poo window

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Turd Law is complicated poo poo.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Yeah I've been sitting here looking at everything again and I can't figure it out.

As you say everywhere just has those little diagrams and doesn't get any further into it.

I think the answer is it'll be a big argument.

In the end I found out that unlimited poo poo pipe cleanouts is included in the £3/month home emergency addon to my house insurance so broadly I don't care, that should keep me covered. I do care enough to now chase this new rabbithole so I've contacted CCW who are apparently the people who deal with us peons. Ofwat DGAF.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

You all must be dropping some gnarly deuces to be this worried about poops.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Its the principle

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Gasmask posted:

Stuff clogs kinda easy when it’s over a hundred years old and a drain unblocking costs £140 each time.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
If there was a poo inspection window IN the break room that would be great

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Jaded Burnout posted:

Stuff clogs kinda easy when it’s over a hundred years old and a drain unblocking costs £140 each time.

You should poop more often so they aren't becoming 100 years old inside of you before toilet time.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Gasmask posted:

At some point you're gonna go on vacation holiday (:britain:) and anything in the poopchamber is going to have a week or two to settle and condense without any water moving it along

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

tangy yet delightful posted:

You should poop more often so they aren't becoming 100 years old inside of you before toilet time.

Don't kinkshame me ok

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I have a crazy money making plan!

Hands up if you have a poorly serviced shipping container sat on the middle of a big sandpit?

I can offer the Qatar experience right here for the small sum of 200 quid a night for the duration of the world cup.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The breakroom? That's loving palatial compared to the fanzone accommodation, you can definitely increase those prices

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

NotJustANumber99 posted:

It does not macerate.

I'm here to post a big preemptive lol, having been called out to a site once where both the duty and standby pumps in the sewer pit had failed due to no solids capability. The whole pit top to bottom was just a solid formed turd obelisk, patterned with toilet paper like fine Italian marble.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass

kecske posted:

I'm here to post a big preemptive lol, having been called out to a site once where both the duty and standby pumps in the sewer pit had failed due to no solids capability. The whole pit top to bottom was just a solid formed turd obelisk, patterned with toilet paper like fine Italian marble.

Towards an L shape architecture: a solid formed turd obelisk, patterned with toilet paper like fine Italian marble

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

kecske posted:

You should really have a picture of this, even if your words are poetry.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Reminds me of when of our builders poured concrete into and partially blocked our sewer, so that a 10-metre long bratwurst of turd accumulated from the sewer back up to the toilet over a few months, and eventually started coming out of the toilet, sink, and shower drain.

When our plumber finally released that beast by going in face first and drilling out the concrete, it was a devastating thing to behold

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Jesus h Christ

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

I attended an emergency reinstatement in some poor residents house where the pressure in the sewage system had built up and during a storm (2018 iirc) and had blown back up through the toilet in the upstairs bathroom, continued to flow and flooded the downstairs in a foot of lovely piss water.
I no longer deal with water/sewage, no amount of money is worth dealing with that carnage.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Towards an L shape architecture: we talk about poo ITT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

TheMightyHandful posted:

Towards an L shape architecture: we talk about poo ITT

User:post combo