Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Much like his father, he'll save money by running Twitter with (visa) slaves and bazinga blockwarts who will gladly work for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill Monster
Apr 23, 2014

EricBauman posted:

subscriptions can work for twitter, but you can't pull enough money out of verification, even if you don't actually do verification.
you'd have to charge normal users. but you can say goodbye to the middle east, asia and africa if you do that.
selling europeans and americans a twitter subscription for thirty bucks a year is possible

but then you hit all of the problems sa has figured out over the past decades, like the two big ones that you'll immediately need to deal with:
- do you want people to be able to evade a ban just by paying?
- chargebacks when you ban or suspend people

selling people a spam and scam license for $8 just isn't going to cut it

If my math is correct, Twitter would need 40 million subscribers at 30 dollars a year to cover the debt service payments which Twitter got from the lawsuit and leveraged takeover.

Sounds reasonable.

Chill Monster fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Nov 22, 2022

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Chill Monster posted:

If my math is correct, Twitter would need 40 million subscribers at 30 dollars a month to cover the debt service payments which Twitter got from the lawsuit and leveraged takeover.

Sounds reasonable.

Musk has talked about putting the whole site behind a paywall, which I bet would cause a good slice of rubes to sign up until they realize that the comedians aren't going to pay.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
lol speaking of comedians, from a pretty long interview with patton oswalt

quote:

- Well, I did want to congratulate you on very briefly getting your second official check mark. I don’t know if you saw that.

What?

- It’s not there now, so you won’t see it, but he briefly added a second official check mark to all these accounts, including yours—

Oh no!

- And then within a few hours they were gone. He said he had killed it. He decided it wasn’t working. [Ed. note: The “official” check marks eventually returned, although not to Patton Oswalt’s account.]

I don’t even know, at this point, what the value of a check mark is except to protect your identity.

- This was supposed to be a second check mark to protect your identity in addition to the blue check mark, which now just means you paid $8 a month.

Well, wait a minute, then I want my blue check mark gone! I don’t want people thinking I paid him $8.

- I know, that’s what I was thinking. It’s going to be like a blue check mark of shame that you paid Elon.

Oh God, well if that becomes the thing, I want my blue check mark gone immediately. Holy poo poo.

he also spends like half of the thing making GBS threads on elon for not being funny but it's not particularly insightful

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

otoh it would make composing a "news article" out of entirely embedded tweets a heck of a lot funnier

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Beeftweeter posted:

a tiny dinosaur skeleton

it's actually the skeleton of the dog they got at the beginning of the pandemic and had put down cause they "just didn't have time for it"

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

EricBauman posted:

selling europeans and americans a twitter subscription for thirty bucks a year is possible

unless i'm missing something it's already $96/year and lmao if you think he's not gonna jack that up

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Cat Face Joe posted:

it's actually the skeleton of the dog they got at the beginning of the pandemic and had put down cause they "just didn't have time for it"

oh no that doggy didn't make it very far :smith:

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
it looks like a cat to me

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

hello this is from several pages back but the dc metro is good, actually (well, mostly)

signed, a queer dc resident

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

funy elon

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Beeftweeter posted:

unless i'm missing something it's already $96/year and lmao if you think he's not gonna jack that up

that's for the blue check, but to make enough money, you'd also have to charge for regular access. it just doesn't work out based on blue check revenue.

and if you get into charging for regular access, you really cant charge that much for that. a few bucks a month is the most you can charge, and you'll have to charge it per year to cut payment processing costs and to frontload the revenue

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

broke: charging idiots for a blue check
woke: charging libs so they DON'T get a blue check

elonhg wins again

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quiggy posted:

hello this is from several pages back but the dc metro is good, actually (well, mostly)

i rode it once when i was like 9 years old and thought it was super fun but at that age i also thought the automated tram things that move you between terminals at the airport were the most fun thing ever and would ride them back and forth over and over again so i might be biased

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

EricBauman posted:

that's for the blue check, but to make enough money, you'd also have to charge for regular access. it just doesn't work out based on blue check revenue.

and if you get into charging for regular access, you really cant charge that much for that. a few bucks a month is the most you can charge, and you'll have to charge it per year to cut payment processing costs and to frontload the revenue

oh i see what you mean. yeah, i'd guess something similar. it's been pointed out before but their revenue has to be in the goddamned toilet right now

like you said though that scheme would probably work for wealthier europeans and americans, but paying some fee for access in general plus a bonus vanity checkmark just isn't gonna fly in most of the world. i don't even think many westerners would shell out for it either, it's really a pretty dumb value proposition to get blasted with crypto spam and poorly photoshopped milf pics

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

proposal to rename elon stans to muskitos since they’re similarly annoying

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

MononcQc posted:

for the last time, they are called bazingas

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

MononcQc posted:

ok now this is æpic

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

seriously tho that’s the best contender I’ve seen in a minute

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

should actually be "muskitoes" to be properly pluralized to sound less like a latin-american pejorative and more like a bootlicker as well

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

muskitodes

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

https://www.tumblr.com/numberonecatwinner/701567544684855296/elon-wyd posted:

I was an intern at SpaceX years ago, back it when it was a much smaller company — after Elon got hair plugs, but before his cult of personality was in full swing. I have some insight to offer here.

Back when I was at SpaceX, Elon was basically a child king. He was an important figurehead who provided the company with the money, power, and PR, but he didn’t have the knowledge or (frankly) maturity to handle day-to-day decision making and everyone knew that. He was surrounded by people whose job was, essentially, to manipulate him into making good decisions.

Managing Elon was a huge part of the company culture. Even I, as a lowly intern, would hear people talking about it openly in meetings. People knew how to present ideas in a way that would resonate with him, they knew how to creatively reinterpret (or ignore) his many insane demands, and they even knew how to “stage manage” parts of the physical office space so that it would appeal to Elon.

The funniest example of “stage management” I can remember is this dude on the IT security team. He had a script running in a terminal on one of his monitors that would output random garbage, Matrix-style, so that it always looked like he was doing Important Computer Things to anyone who walked by his desk. Second funniest was all the people I saw playing WoW at their desks after ~5pm, who did it in the office just to give the appearance that they were working late.

People were willing to do that at SpaceX because Elon was giving them the money (and hype) to get into outer space, a mission people cared deeply about. The company also grew with and around Elon. There were layers of management between individual employees and Elon, and those managers were experienced managers of Elon. Again, I cannot stress enough how much of the company culture was oriented around managing this one guy.

Twitter has neither of those things going for it. There is no company culture or internal structure around the problem of managing Elon Musk, and I think for the first time we’re seeing what happens when people actually take that man seriously and at face value. Worse, they’re doing this little experiment after this man has had decades of success at companies that dedicate significant resources to protecting themselves from him, and he’s too narcissistic to realize it.

This post is long so I’ll leave you with my favorite Elon story. One day at work, I got an all hands email telling me that it was Elon’s birthday and there was going to be a mandatory surprise party for him in the cafeteria. Presumably Elon also got this email, but whatever. We all marched down into the cafeteria, dimmed the lights, and waited. Elon was led out by his secretary (who he hadn’t fired yet) and made a big show of being fake surprised and touched that we were there. Then they wheeled out the cake.

OK, so, I want you to imagine the biggest penis cake you’ve ever seen. Like the king of novelty sex cakes. Only it’s frosted white, and the balls have been frosted to look like fire and smoke. This was Elon’s birthday “rocket” cake.

For as long as I live, I will never forget the look on everyone’s face — in that dark room of mostly-male engineers — when he made a wish and cut into the tip.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

quote:

Managing Elon was a huge part of the company culture. Even I, as a lowly intern, would hear people talking about it openly in meetings. People knew how to present ideas in a way that would resonate with him, they knew how to creatively reinterpret (or ignore) his many insane demands, and they even knew how to “stage manage” parts of the physical office space so that it would appeal to Elon.
[...]
People were willing to do that at SpaceX because Elon was giving them the money (and hype) to get into outer space, a mission people cared deeply about. The company also grew with and around Elon. There were layers of management between individual employees and Elon, and those managers were experienced managers of Elon. Again, I cannot stress enough how much of the company culture was oriented around managing this one guy.

Twitter has neither of those things going for it. There is no company culture or internal structure around the problem of managing Elon Musk, and I think for the first time we’re seeing what happens when people actually take that man seriously and at face value. Worse, they’re doing this little experiment after this man has had decades of success at companies that dedicate significant resources to protecting themselves from him, and he’s too narcissistic to realize it.

god this is some amazing "here's how you can succeed with Elon" cultural insight about managing up in the most aggressive way possible. Like to deal with him being present you need to have this whole structure into neutralizing him in a way that still makes him feel important and how unprepared Twitter now is for it.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
manager displays for cyber security have been around forever

managers love the term "one pane of glass" and love seeing charts and such even though they really don't provide value without lots of lots of work

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

MononcQc posted:

god this is some amazing "here's how you can succeed with Elon" cultural insight about managing up in the most aggressive way possible. Like to deal with him being present you need to have this whole structure into neutralizing him in a way that still makes him feel important and how unprepared Twitter now is for it.

really it's what i'd expect. elon is a caricature

like his official title is "chief engineer" for fucks sake. motherfucker thinks hes geordi laforge

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

:discourse:

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

I know better than to believe this without proof but dear god I want to

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Knowing how to manage management is a skill in every job, like how to look like you’re checking WhatsApp for work messages when you’re actually reading the forums.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Beeftweeter posted:

really it's what i'd expect. elon is a caricature

like his official title is "chief engineer" for fucks sake. motherfucker thinks hes geordi laforge

well he is african american

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

fart simpson posted:

:hmmyes:

now if only he'd go blind. neuralink could drill a hole in his head for a nonfunctional visual processor

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
One that gives the user constant pain. Lol

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

fart simpson posted:

if this was 1973 would elon sign up to fight in the Rhodesian bush war?

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Cat Face Joe posted:

for the last time, they are called bazingas

lol I caused a 3 page derail on whether bazinga was a slur when I used it in another subforum

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

that 100% is true. no way is any company he is involved in is successful without him being absolutely managed up from everyone he comes near.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

he’s basically a mascot

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

qirex posted:

he’s basically a mascot

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Platystemon posted:

she asked what kind of handle i was looking for on my cai dao

i said that i thought it was appropriate to have a chinese-style of handle on a chinese-style knife

this was not the right answer

and to be fair, yeah, it was a stupid reason, use whichever works better in your hand (which happens to be the traditional handle)

haha amazing. and just to be clear for the thread, because i think some people misinterpreted, i love old wok store lady and would die for her. i was not complaining about being hollered at while she banged pots around and slammed file cabinets shut

mystes
May 31, 2006

Wok store is tiny and they're probably having a mental breakdown from trying to handle the extra business they got after kenji recommended them in his book

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

quiggy posted:

queer Toronto resident, these light rail units are good actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER

Isentropy posted:

queer Toronto resident, these light rail units are good actually

thats a cute little train. would ride