Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Meow Meow Meow posted:

Shortly after I finished that frame I posted above I finished a pair of speaker stands and got my basement media centre all set up.

gently caress yes looks great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
Thanks! One thing that my basement is missing is something along the lines of this...a Hans Wegner CH25 lounge chair, should be a fun project for 2023. Maybe I'll do a build thread since there is a lack of completed chair build threads around here.

Meow Meow Meow fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Dec 6, 2022

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Meow Meow Meow posted:

Shortly after I finished that frame I posted above I finished a pair of speaker stands and got my basement media centre all set up.

I'm just gonna assume there's some marquetry beneath the speakers.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I swore when I got my domino I would never be a Festool fanboy but those little knockdown connector things are loving rad as hell and just so easy.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Does Festool have a patent on the concept of a handheld slot mortiser or something? It's honestly surprising that there aren't really any cheaper alternatives.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

more falafel please posted:

Does Festool have a patent on the concept of a handheld slot mortiser or something? It's honestly surprising that there aren't really any cheaper alternatives.

They did and it can take a while after a patent expires to get copies or alternatives to market.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

more falafel please posted:

Like this?

https://www.instagram.com/reel/ClURn6kPZ_r/?igshid=Zjc2ZTc4Nzk=

Looks like JessEm is entering the game for $249usd

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

There's nothing super special about loose-tenon slot mortises, they're not hard to do with a router or other tools/jigs, the domino just makes doing them really easy with basically no setup and it cuts those mortises way way faster than a router or tbh a hollow chisel mortiser. All the various stops and detents and stuff make doing what you want to do really quick with very little layout or test cuts or whatever. It's strong mortise and tenon joinery for people who have no idea how to cut either a mortise or a tenon, and may not even know what those words mean. Pretty much everything a domino can do can be done with by other means with much more basic and versatile tools, they just can't do it faster or easier.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

Sockington posted:

Like this?

https://www.instagram.com/reel/ClURn6kPZ_r/?igshid=Zjc2ZTc4Nzk=

Looks like JessEm is entering the game for $249usd

Jessem makes high quality stuff, but I'm pretty suss of powering this with a drill.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
Just get the slot mortiser attachment for your $10k Felder Jointer. I mean jeeze.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

SimonSays posted:

They did and it can take a while after a patent expires to get copies or alternatives to market.

the oscillating saw patent Fein had expired in 2009 and within two years just about every tool company had one available. oscillating saw is super versatile and useful for pretty much any trade though, so its not surprising to see it reproduced by other manufacturers.

Biscuit joiner is already sort of a niche tool for a niche hobby, and while a mortiser is probably more versatile, i dont know if the demand would be there once the patent expires. I have no idea what drives product development at these companies though, so maybe this is all way off base

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
For most tools it seems that every company has a copy of every tool even while patents are active to sell into regions where the patents aren't recognized. The outsourcing to China also has the knock on effect that roughly 2 weeks after a patent expires any company can get their own version off the manufacturing line 5 feet away.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

the oscillating saw patent Fein had expired in 2009 and within two years just about every tool company had one available. oscillating saw is super versatile and useful for pretty much any trade though, so its not surprising to see it reproduced by other manufacturers.

Biscuit joiner is already sort of a niche tool for a niche hobby, and while a mortiser is probably more versatile, i dont know if the demand would be there once the patent expires. I have no idea what drives product development at these companies though, so maybe this is all way off base

Worth noting that when biscuit joiners first came out, they were only made by a fancy European company (Lamello) and were pretty expensive. Now they’re ubiquitous and cheap. Dominos are a bit more complex than a biscuit jointer so idk if they’ll be copycatted as much or not.

E: you can still buy a lamello biscuit jointer and it costs as much as a domino: https://www.burnstools.com/lamello-...u4aAngOEALw_wcB

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Dec 7, 2022

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

You'd think that there would already be knockoff dominos being made in China and available on Alliexpress or whatever but I can't seem to find them.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

CommonShore posted:

You'd think that there would already be knockoff dominos being made in China and available on Alliexpress or whatever but I can't seem to find them.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNH7EWe ?

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

That's a regular biscuit jointer, the dominoes have a different shape.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Worth noting that when biscuit joiners first came out, they were only made by a fancy European company (Lamello) and were pretty expensive. Now they’re ubiquitous and cheap. Dominos are a bit more complex than a biscuit jointer so idk if they’ll be copycatted as much or not.

E: you can still buy a lamello biscuit jointer and it costs as much as a domino: https://www.burnstools.com/lamello-...u4aAngOEALw_wcB

Biscuit joiners are anything but a niche tool for hobbyists. Spot-on about La-not-mellow suing anyone that came up with a design like their then-$900 or so tool. So Porter-cable made one that looked like a kitchen appliance. Goofy looking with a dogshit fence. And cost in the neighborhood of U.S. $200. So someone made an add-on fence for it. Which I bought for a job that specifically needed exactly such a tool. Attaching hardwood trim to, iirc 25 or so veneered table tops for a restaurant/bistro, but NO NAILS OR FASTENERS she demanded.

Edit: biscuit joiner is basically the evolution of a dowelling jig, but better in just about every context.

Mr. Mambold fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 7, 2022

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I will make sure I plane down my test pieces a little closer to finished heights next time. Bit more to go.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

lol I'm hand planing down a big alder cabinet top and I generate about that much shavings per minute, that aint that much!

Save some for the charcoal barbecue, you can use it instead of newspaper in the chimney and it works great

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Dec 8, 2022

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
It was more about my project planning since I have a powered option for doing it and I just didn’t bother to think about that before chopping it to length and now I’d have some snipe to deal with if I ran through just the small cuts. I could stick them on a sled and add a sacrificial front piece but I also forgot how dull the hand plane was.

Embarrassingly, that was way harder than it should be as I haven’t done a proper sharpen to the hand planes since I got them. I keep meaning to pickup a kit but at this point I should just hand them to a local person to get them to a good starting point and maintain from there.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 8, 2022

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ah I see.

I'm a big proponent of learning to grind, hone, sharpen all your stuff. It's a pain in the rear end, but also having all the stuff on hand to take a badly rusted chipped iron and make it into a keen edge that could shave a ghost is a big leg up. I can buy messed up old hand planes for $25 and make them into serviceable tools with a couple hours effort, and since I have sandpaper, stones, strop, etc. all at hand and feel very confident and familiar with them I never hesitate to sharpen up a chisel or a plane whenever it starts to chatter bite poorly.

Well, that's the theory, anyway. Like most woodworkers I also get lazy and don't do it when I should. :shrug: no judgement

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

Leperflesh posted:

Ah I see.

I'm a big proponent of learning to grind, hone, sharpen all your stuff. It's a pain in the rear end, but also having all the stuff on hand to take a badly rusted chipped iron and make it into a keen edge that could shave a ghost is a big leg up. I can buy messed up old hand planes for $25 and make them into serviceable tools with a couple hours effort, and since I have sandpaper, stones, strop, etc. all at hand and feel very confident and familiar with them I never hesitate to sharpen up a chisel or a plane whenever it starts to chatter bite poorly.

Well, that's the theory, anyway. Like most woodworkers I also get lazy and don't do it when I should. :shrug: no judgement

Should note that couple hours is the initial time getting the rust of and flattening the face. If all you're talking about is sharpening an established blade that's just a couple minutes. Even less for a quick strop which takes
literally seconds and does wonders.

Bob Mundon fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 8, 2022

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah I've taken longer to rehab a blade when I didn't have a grinder and had to do it all with files and stuff, but if you don't need to grind a new bevel on, it's five minutes. Couple hours is fettling a reasonably non-broken plane, e.g. flatten the sole, sand & refinish the tote and knob, clean everything, reassemble and make any adjustments, plus rehab the blade. I've spent longer when I needed to fix a broken tote or correct the cheeks not being at 90 degrees or something like that. Also flattening the sole of a large plane can be a pain in the rear end, like a #7.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
But that's before you're even using it. If your plane is usable as above, I can't wrap my brain around being patient and handy enough for woodworking but not sharpening your own blade.

In any case, guns or tools to me, if you're responsible enough to own it you need to be responsible enough to maintain it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've been getting in the habit of just keeping the strop on the bench whenever I'm doing anything with edged tools, and it's not quite like chalking my cue when playing pool, but if I give an edge a couple of strokes whenever I step back or switch tools or whatever, especially for chisels. I hardly need to pull out my pltes anymore. In fact, I've been using my plates more on my scrapers lately.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Sharpening sucks and I don’t like it but I cannot articulate a single reason why given that it takes practically no time and makes all manner of tool a delight to use

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Some evenings if I'm not motivated to actually do wood working I'll crack a beer and sharpen everything in the shop, maybe sweep if I'm feeling spicy.

I dry fit the case for a tool chest I'm building for under my workbench. Plan if four four drawers, will house some of the tools I can't fit on the wall (stanley 45 I'm looking at you)

I'm not sure if I want the drawer faces inset into the case or overlayed on the front. Suggestions?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

NomNomNom posted:

Some evenings if I'm not motivated to actually do wood working I'll crack a beer and sharpen everything in the shop, maybe sweep if I'm feeling spicy.

I dry fit the case for a tool chest I'm building for under my workbench. Plan if four four drawers, will house some of the tools I can't fit on the wall (stanley 45 I'm looking at you)

I'm not sure if I want the drawer faces inset into the case or overlayed on the front. Suggestions?

It’s totally an aesthetic thing for the most part. Overlay are easier to fit since they don’t have to go in a hole with a consistent gap around them. They also have their own stop included. It’s easier to make the drawer boxes for overlay drawers, especially if you’re dovetailing because there’s no half blind dovetails on the drawer front. The only disadvantage of overlay drawers I can think of is if you take the drawers out to set on the bench as a tool tray, the drawer front will keep them from sitting flat.

I’d be saving my Baltic birch for where you really need its stability and stiffness. I don’t think we’re gonna be seeing it again for quite a while :( I’ve found import vietnam birch to be fine for cabinets etc.

And what the heck is that on your bench in the background? CNC router parts?

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I got a couple sheets of genuine bb plywood on discount, it has some water damage and a forklift ran into it. Still not cheap.

Quality of the vietbirch is so much worse its not even funny. Voids, delams, paper thin veneers (could see a knot through the top layer).

Yeah that's my Lowrider cnc that I built. It's currently layed up for some upgrades. It normally lives on my outfeed table.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

The only disadvantage of overlay drawers I can think of is if you take the drawers out to set on the bench as a tool tray, the drawer front will keep them from sitting flat.

could you bias the drawer fronts so they're flush with the bottom at least on the top two drawers or would that just wind up looking awful?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Bloody posted:

could you bias the drawer fronts so they're flush with the bottom at least on the top two drawers or would that just wind up looking awful?
Yeah totally. If you plan ahead you could do that and make it look totally normal.

NomNomNom posted:

I got a couple sheets of genuine bb plywood on discount, it has some water damage and a forklift ran into it. Still not cheap.

Quality of the vietbirch is so much worse its not even funny. Voids, delams, paper thin veneers (could see a knot through the top layer).
I'm just treasuring my last 2 sheets of BB. Should have stocked up but I didn't. My lumberyard sold me something they are selling as a replacement at least for drawer sides but it's lol compared to BB. No voids at least, but the face veneer is thin and there's tons of overlapping plies and stuff. The vietbirch isn't stellar, but it's a whole lot better than the chinese birch we used to get. Honestly I think the Sandeply from HD isn't bad. Seems to be real stiff and stable, despite not having a ton of plies.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Wait what happened to Baltic birch availability? Was it all coming from Russia or something?

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Just a casual war after a global pandemic, no big deal or anything.

Supply chains for the chemicals used to produce the adhesives got really hosed early on.

I think I'll probably inset the drawer fronts, show off my genuine bb edges. Maybe use some walnut to really splash out.

Really my motivation is avoiding dust and debris falling on the top of the drawer fronts and then going inside when I open them, like happens with these drawers I made:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Wait what happened to Baltic birch availability? Was it all coming from Russia or something?

Yes.
Technically, the baltics are estonia/lithuania/latvia, but baltic birch plywood mostly comes from Finland and Russia.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Yeah, according to my supplier, the veneers used to come from Ukraine and were laid up into plywood in Russia, at least for the stuff they were buying. Supposedly there if Finnish BB out there but I’ve asked my suppliers and they didn’t seem to be aware of it or it was also unavailable.

E: it is called ‘Baltic birch’ but it doesn’t necessarily come from baltic countries. Russia/Belarus/northern Ukraine is full of birch forests. E2: efb read the thread before replying

NomNomNom posted:

Just a casual war after a global pandemic, no big deal or anything.

Supply chains for the chemicals used to produce the adhesives got really hosed early on.

I think I'll probably inset the drawer fronts, show off my genuine bb edges. Maybe use some walnut to really splash out.

Really my motivation is avoiding dust and debris falling on the top of the drawer fronts and then going inside when I open them, like happens with these drawers I made:

You could run a thumbnail/roundover/ogee/chamfer around the edge of the drawer fronts and dust would fall off the front.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 8, 2022

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Stupid newb question. Im making progress on my end grain cutting board. Squared up about 20ft of 4/8 by 6" boards and cut into strips and glued up into my parallel grain long board. Its about 14.75 inches wide and about 50" long. Im going to be feeding it through a 15" planer. I plan on sanding down the glue squeeze out high spots on one side. Then plane both sides till the blades have touched everything. Any words to the wise for a dumbass like my self?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Sadi posted:

Stupid newb question. Im making progress on my end grain cutting board. Squared up about 20ft of 4/8 by 6" boards and cut into strips and glued up into my parallel grain long board. Its about 14.75 inches wide and about 50" long. Im going to be feeding it through a 15" planer. I plan on sanding down the glue squeeze out high spots on one side. Then plane both sides till the blades have touched everything. Any words to the wise for a dumbass like my self?

If you scroll a few pages back, I think you'll find that running end-grain projects through a blade type planer is not optimal. Tearout being the problem. Drum sanders, d/a sanders are preferable. Note: I've never made a cutting board, end-grain, long grain or otherwise, whereas there are several itt who have- but that's the standard wisdom of anything end-grain.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Ah sorry I wasn't clear. This is in the long grain direction at the moment. The next glue up will be end grain and that will go through the drum sander. The main thing I'm looking to understand is if there are any potential pitfalls to running near full width in a planer. I imagine the main thing is just to make sure to take thin passes.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
If you had to choose ONE singular tool for cutting wood and being stuck with it on a deserted island what would that tool be?

Asking because I might be living in a smaller space temporarily but still want to continue doing some woodworking. And I can’t run power tools where I’ll be staying.

Japanese pull saw, maybe? Ryoba saw?

melon cat fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Dec 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

You can really get a lot done with a pull saw, a power drill, some chisels, sandpaper, and most importantly of all, gumption