Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

You can do it Nightfall I'm rooting for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Find a boyfriend, Nightfall.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

Arc Hammer posted:

Find a boyfriend, Nightfall.

Who isn't Twilight.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
She liked him with the bandana, she should look for Big Boss or one of the various Snakes.

Like, it's fine that she has a crush on Loid. What's not fine is her though process being "I love Loid so I should be his wife once I prove I'm better than this lady." That's not cool.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Dec 12, 2022

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Nightfall should date Daybreak

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

She seems to be attracted to perfection, being strict with kids, and having a job focused drive. I think I know someone she could hit it off with in this series in spite of the age gap.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Saoshyant posted:

She seems to be attracted to perfection, being strict with kids, and having a job focused drive. I think I know someone she could hit it off with in this series in spite of the age gap.

I'm just presuming that she'll eventually meet Yuri and they'll end up as mutually obsessive lovers, personally.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

tsob posted:

I'm just presuming that she'll eventually meet Yuri and they'll end up as mutually obsessive lovers, personally.

I meant someone more elegant, more refined, but that could work too.

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
I hope Nightfall reaches the natural conclusion to her arc soon (realizing that she should replace Loid instead, and marry Yor)

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
For Anya's sake, if she's gonna have two moms, Fiona won't be acceptable.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

Nightfall should date Daybreak

:hmmyes:

Fiona can be swooned only by the absolute best and most competent of operators, there is no other choice.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

narm00 posted:

Who isn't Twilight.

To be fair to Nightfall it isn't like she's trying to break up a real marriage. Like both Yor and Loid still view it as a fake relationship.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

muscles like this! posted:

To be fair to Nightfall it isn't like she's trying to break up a real marriage. Like both Yor and Loid still view it as a fake relationship.

To be fair to everyone else, Handler has told Fiona not to try to do so because it'd make the mission more difficult and Loid has repeatedly tried to push her out of doing things that'd make them seem like a couple because it'd make his undercover life more awkward as well as because while he still thinks of Yor as normal, he also knows she's incredibly strong and would gently caress Fiona up so she's treading dangerous ground by trying to engage with her as a rival. Fiona is deliberately ignoring all advice and indicators that what she's doing is a bad idea.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

If Yor's first swing didn't dissuade her she's got serious delusions of competence if she thinks she can compete with a super woman.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

There Bias Two posted:

That episode had so many incredible little details. I think it's probably my favorite so far.
By far the best this season, it was hilarious and the animation was stunning.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Gomen nasai, Ball-san.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

tsob posted:

To be fair to everyone else, Handler has told Fiona not to try to do so because it'd make the mission more difficult and Loid has repeatedly tried to push her out of doing things that'd make them seem like a couple because it'd make his undercover life more awkward as well as because while he still thinks of Yor as normal, he also knows she's incredibly strong and would gently caress Fiona up so she's treading dangerous ground by trying to engage with her as a rival. Fiona is deliberately ignoring all advice and indicators that what she's doing is a bad idea.

It's definitely a bad idea, but for very different reasons than attempting to break up an ordinary marriage.

I really loved how they had two episodes dedicated to Nightfall being great at tennis, then she got immediately blown out by Yor being casually superhuman again. Incredible work, incredible animation, just a fantastic sequence of events all around.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

If I'm reading that situation right, Yor made a killshot and Fiona only barely dodged and tried to return the serve. Do not gently caress with Yor.

Edit: Except Loid, feel free to tease your wife a little, Loid.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kwyndig posted:

If I'm reading that situation right, Yor made a killshot and Fiona only barely dodged and tried to return the serve. Do not gently caress with Yor.

I don't think it was deliberately meant to be a killshot; I think Yor is just so strong and unedcuated about the rules of tennis (re: the ball must bounce once before it's legal or whatever) that when she served she served it where she thought it should go, i.e. right at Fiona, but it basically became a bullet.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

King of Solomon posted:

It's definitely a bad idea, but for very different reasons than attempting to break up an ordinary marriage.

I really loved how they had two episodes dedicated to Nightfall being great at tennis, then she got immediately blown out by Yor being casually superhuman again. Incredible work, incredible animation, just a fantastic sequence of events all around.

I was so happy and giddy in my seat to see a match between Yor and Fiona like it was a One Punch Man fight :D

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

tsob posted:

I don't think it was deliberately meant to be a killshot; I think Yor is just so strong and unedcuated about the rules of tennis (re: the ball must bounce once before it's legal or whatever) that when she served she served it where she thought it should go, i.e. right at Fiona, but it basically became a bullet.

Fiona commented that it would be landing just out of bounds, but couldn't help but try to return it anyway.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

A clear point where her ambition overrode her logic. And ultimately the reality of Yor denied what Nightfall desired. It was grand seeing that racket explode into pieces.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Ranzear posted:

Fiona commented that it would be landing just out of bounds, but couldn't help but try to return it anyway.

Yeah I think she could have dodged (after all she was able to get into position to return the ball and not be standing behind it like a baseball pitcher) but took it as a challenge where in her mind she had to prove herself the superior by returning the ball. After all, her entire goal was to prove her superiority by beating Yor, not to show Yor sucked at tennis and couldn't serve the ball right.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Dec 13, 2022

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Also probably the first time anyone has started to ask 'wait, what the hell' about Yor, even if Nightfall is too Loid-crazy to follow through on the thought.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I know the answer is "shut up it's part of the joke" but it's still funny that super spies Nightfall and Twilight that can't help but micromanage every aspect of their lives and distrust everyone around them haven't been able to even suspect Twilights cover wife with super physical abilities might be somewhat not on the level.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Being strong doesn't make someone untrustworthy.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Eggplant Squire posted:

I know the answer is "shut up it's part of the joke" but it's still funny that super spies Nightfall and Twilight that can't help but micromanage every aspect of their lives and distrust everyone around them haven't been able to even suspect Twilights cover wife with super physical abilities might be somewhat not on the level.

They figure it would be incredibly awkward for everyone involved if they point it out and it's gonna take someone like Daybreak to accidentally bumble into asking the wrong questionsmasterfully traverse that social minefield.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Loid is probably thinking stuff like "excellent, she can perforate steel plates with just her index finger. That'll help if Anya and her are ever trapped in a sinking car. What great wife material."

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I mean, her superhuman abilities don’t necessarily make her an assassin/government agent, especially since a lot of it seems to be natural ability. You could fairly easily see a potential universe where Yor/Yuri were fairly well off growing up, and Yor just became a regular worker/housewife with the same freakish strength.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
We do have canonically in universe a secret weapons program to turn children into supersoldiers/etc, maybe Yor was like a product of an early version of the program ala Sgt. Johnson being a Spartan-I.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I've always taken it as "Twilight is so deep into the spy life he completely doesn't realize that normal people aren't supposed to be able to do that"

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Arzaac posted:

I've always taken it as "Twilight is so deep into the spy life he completely doesn't realize that normal people aren't supposed to be able to do that"

This is my favorite explanation

It's reinforced by the insane flowchart he made Franky for his date

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 13, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
His first reaction to being told he requires a family cover story is to loudly wonder how he's going to make a child in a few days. His brain doesn't quite operate as normal.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
You all are going to appreciate the next episode

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

His first reaction to being told he requires a family cover story is to loudly wonder how he's going to make a child in a few days. His brain doesn't quite operate as normal.

It's easy to forget that, though, because he's surrounded by Yor, Anya, Yuri, and Nightfall, who all make his crazy spy brain look perfectly rational by comparison.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Arc Hammer posted:

Loid: "Nine months is too long. What if I hired 90 women to accelerate the pregnancy?"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Squidster posted:

Loid: "Nine months is too long. What if I hired 90 women to accelerate the pregnancy?"

"If I could only give myself a uterus this would be so much easier..."

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

AnoHito posted:

I mean, her superhuman abilities don’t necessarily make her an assassin/government agent, especially since a lot of it seems to be natural ability. You could fairly easily see a potential universe where Yor/Yuri were fairly well off growing up, and Yor just became a regular worker/housewife with the same freakish strength.

I always assumed her strength was a product of training most of her life to be an assassin, rather than something she was born with.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Squidster posted:

Again Loid is basically Nathan Fielder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

tsob posted:

I always assumed her strength was a product of training most of her life to be an assassin, rather than something she was born with.

She was just as strong as a kid as far as we know.