Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Funky Valentine posted:

I can't wait to be confused and terrified once a month for the next seven years.

Getting ready to do some good ol' confused screaming. It's been too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

After experiencing Stone Ocean once again, it'd be really rad to have a female JoJo again.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Finally, Shizuka's time to shine.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Next protag is a descendant of the Iggy bloodline.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Jojolion is JJL

So what the gently caress is JojoLands gonna be

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Definitely JJL&

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Funky Valentine posted:

I can't wait to be confused and terrified once a month for the next seven years.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/Kewl0210/status/1603411243125161987?t=ica9y0n0pR135ukd4d6CBw&s=19

It seems like it's officially The Jojolands

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Are you a JoJo of the land? Or are you a JoJo of the sea?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
TJJL

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

i want it to be a boy and girl twin pair

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Joseph and Joanne the JoJo twins would be cool

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Electric Phantasm posted:

Are you a JoJo of the land? Or are you a JoJo of the sea?

:hmmyes:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://twitter.com/jolouyne/status/1603108407321702400

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

https://jojo-news.com/2022/12/04/part-9-jojolands-protagonist-will-be-a-joseph-joestar-descendant/

Araki did an interview for a magazine and gave our first bit of info for JOJOLANDS in that the protagonist will be a descendant of the SBR timeline's Joseph.

He is also interested in making a Thus Spoke story set in the Americas.

So... does this mean that at some point, Joseph hosed a penguin?

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Bisse posted:

Next protag is a descendant of the Iggy bloodline.

Iggy hosed a penguin, loving called it

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Here's hope Araki comes up with the main antagonist before the last eighth of the story this time

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Torquemadras posted:

Here's hope Araki comes up with the main antagonist before the last eighth of the story this time

Joke's on you, it'll be DIO again somehow

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Asterite34 posted:

Joke's on you, it'll be DIO again somehow

That's still much better than Tooru.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I've seen a number of people hyped about Tooru, but I don't really get what's so great about him. His power isn't particularly interesting, and unfortunately it's STILL the most interesting thing about him.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I mean, he can move like that despite being 89 years old! That's pretty crazy...

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Jokes on you when we get the new universe version of Diavolo

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I've seen a number of people hyped about Tooru, but I don't really get what's so great about him. His power isn't particularly interesting, and unfortunately it's STILL the most interesting thing about him.

He's okay. The issue is that due to his stand being sentient and automatic he doesn't really do anything besides stand around acting smug

e: also his hair gets more perfectly-shaped the more evil he gets

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 15, 2022

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Funny Valentine is a top-tier villain and so the villain for Jojolion had big shoes to fill. I think Araki wasn’t going for a main antagonist or final boss initially, it was framed as a mystery story. Even with the head doctor being the last villain and behind most everything, it still didn’t feel like a main antagonist because it wasn’t. There wasn’t a strong personal connection to Gappy, and we didn’t get much of Yasuho’s connection to Tooru because we didn’t really get to know him until so late in the series. The real conflict was Gappy and Yasuho’s relationship with who Gappy is, and the resolution is that Gappy is Gappy and not who he was before.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I really hope Araki just goes completely off the rails with this and we get some sort of weird Wizard of Earthsea-type fever dream where the Jotagonist just wanders and sails all over the Jojolands

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

SKULL.GIF posted:

I really hope Araki just goes completely off the rails with this and we get some sort of weird Wizard of Earthsea-type fever dream where the Jotagonist just wanders and sails all over the Jojolands

This reminds me of a post from last year

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I actually had a dream about the next Jojo the other day.

It was called Jojo Land (no s) and the main character was a girl with this beehive hairdo that was mostly white but also blue and maybe black at the bottom and top? It kept changing. She was a paleobotanist, or maybe a farmer. I think it changed over the course of the dream but it was mostly paleobotanist. She was inspecting the soil in a vegetable field in the first scene.

Her stand had a weird name, like 2 names in one with a slash between them. There was a plus sign and the word light in there somewhere. DRIFTING SEA/ + Light the World or something like that. (That wasn’t the name though). I thought it was odd for a name but assumed it was a new song I hadn’t heard of.

I never found out exactly what its powers were, but people online were either saying it seemed too weak and abstract and wouldn’t make for interesting combat, or it was too overpowered and had a ridiculous range.

The logo looked like it said Jojolion: JojoLand and I was kinda disappointed that it was billed as a JJL spinoff, but then I noticed the name SBR over it and realized the logo just had the previous 2 parts written behind it. In my dream this didn’t make it an unreadable mess and I thought it was a subtle way to show it’s the end of a trilogy.

That’s it, that’s my Jojo dream.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

SKULL.GIF posted:

Odd-numbered JoJo parts tend to be more focused on large-scale adventures traveling over a great distance, so I think that at least the concept of "a Jojo that sails around to a weird variety of locations" is very possible. It seems that Araki spends a part focused on a self-contained area, (Morioh, Green Dolphin St, Morioh again) then spends a part on a traveling adventure (the route to Egypt, the passione gang traveling across Italy, Steel Ball Run) - so we should in theory expect Part 9 to be across a variety of locations, assuming the pattern holds. (considering it's not a massive sample size, it's certainly not guaranteed)

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

We haven't had a real Globetrotting Adventure since part 3, looking forward to Araki infodumping as much random trivia about a place as possible followed immediately by an Enemy Stand ambushing someone

e: Replaying 7th stand user has given me more appreciation for part 3, there's just something weirdly earnest about it. Like the first real battle starts when Jotaro finds a handwritten note that says "Hey Jotaro I'm going to murder you - Kakyoin". And everyone, including the monkey, has to stop to explain the meaing of their tarot when the fight starts for real. You guys are the worst assassins.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Dec 16, 2022

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/Seitz_Unseen/status/1603572454269427712?s=20&t=gwZ2v-Vb389N3lPR5p6SWg

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Yinlock posted:

And everyone, including the monkey, has to stop to explain the meaing of their tarot when the fight starts for real. You guys are the worst assassins.

That's a joke setup that has an incredibly delayed payoff with Chocolate Disco four parts later

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Yinlock posted:

He's okay. The issue is that due to his stand being sentient and automatic he doesn't really do anything besides stand around acting smug

e: also his hair gets more perfectly-shaped the more evil he gets

Not gonna lie: even though Tooru is an underwhelming final antagonist who comes into the story way too late, I genuinely like Wonder of U, and I love how the stand's mechanics basically engage the entire cast at once. And the way Tooru uses it is pretty amazing.

The automatic version of the stand does some fantastically spooky stuff; like when you start to realize that it's ACTUALLY moving through people's perception, so it tries to walk straight through a pillar, hesitates, then continues as a REFLECTION. When Tooru does take it over - every time we see the stand have an actual "face" - that's when it gets really fun. He tricks a reporter into falling under Wonder of U's pursuit conditions, he tricks Jobin into attacking, all the "negotiation" while he's chilling half in the wall, stuff like that. The stand is a really fascinating end-boss level stand. And it's amazing that Kaato basically murdered the dude by just caring that little about his life.

My problems are with the fact that I expected way more of Jobin - in my opinion, the most interesting antagonist of Part 8, and definitely high up there across all of Jojo! -, and that Kei was done dirty. Come on. You have an entire part full of automatic stands creating weird puzzle escapes for the protagonists, and then you DON'T have the protagonists' sole automatic stand be a hard counter to Wonder of U? I wouldn't have expected her to win, but we've seen that Tooru can be quite resourceful when he's threatened but not "pursued" - that would've been a great chance to have him go through a genuine OH poo poo moment and come up with something smart to get Born This Way off his back.

So, yeah. I'd say Tooru's late introduction, Kei's failure to be as cool as I wanted her to be, and not giving Jobin more in the plot are Part 8's greatest let-downs, I would say. The fact that Kaato doesn't do much is also not that great, but the scenes that she does get are incredibly strong. Talk about a character commanding the scene.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Jobin still seems like the main antagonist, even if he’s not the final boss. Toru works as a bit of a foil for Josuke as a character but he’s not really even tied to most of the events that drove the plot aside from having a locacaca. Damo felt closer to being the big bad but he died halfway through.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

Yinlock posted:

We haven't had a real Globetrotting Adventure since part 3, looking forward to Araki infodumping as much random trivia about a place as possible followed immediately by an Enemy Stand ambushing someone

e: Replaying 7th stand user has given me more appreciation for part 3, there's just something weirdly earnest about it. Like the first real battle starts when Jotaro finds a handwritten note that says "Hey Jotaro I'm going to murder you - Kakyoin". And everyone, including the monkey, has to stop to explain the meaing of their tarot when the fight starts for real. You guys are the worst assassins.

7th Stand User is real good, and I agree. I don't know why, but that straightforwardness clicked for me a lot better in the game format than the anime or manga

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

My assumption was that Tooru genuinely did not know about Jobin at all and Jobin died accidentally triggering Wonder of U's ability because his wife didn't understand how it worked.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

chrome line posted:

7th Stand User is real good, and I agree. I don't know why, but that straightforwardness clicked for me a lot better in the game format than the anime or manga

It helps that Clayman is amazing at matching that tone for the entire game's script, but yeah it's somehow very endearing. "MY HEART WAS CALM...TOO CALM...A DANGEROUS CALMNESS!!" is an incredibly stupid piece of dialogue that I am 100% invested in.

Torquemadras posted:

Not gonna lie: even though Tooru is an underwhelming final antagonist who comes into the story way too late, I genuinely like Wonder of U, and I love how the stand's mechanics basically engage the entire cast at once. And the way Tooru uses it is pretty amazing.

The automatic version of the stand does some fantastically spooky stuff; like when you start to realize that it's ACTUALLY moving through people's perception, so it tries to walk straight through a pillar, hesitates, then continues as a REFLECTION. When Tooru does take it over - every time we see the stand have an actual "face" - that's when it gets really fun. He tricks a reporter into falling under Wonder of U's pursuit conditions, he tricks Jobin into attacking, all the "negotiation" while he's chilling half in the wall, stuff like that. The stand is a really fascinating end-boss level stand. And it's amazing that Kaato basically murdered the dude by just caring that little about his life..

Yeah his stand does some cool stuff but Tooru himself is just kind of there. There's clearly supposed to be a thematic opposition between the Higashikata family's bond and Tooru who only knows solitude but yearns for some kind of famillial connection, but the Higashikatas are largely unlikable psychos(Norisuke and Haato aside) so it kinda falls flat.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Wait! I think I figured it out.

What if "The JOJOLands" isn't meant to be read as "Jojo Lands"? What if it's Jojo Islands? Jojolands.

If that's the case, the sailboat makes much more sense.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Its going to be about landing on the moon

GruntMountain
Jul 17, 2017

"JOJOLands!" is just the protagonist's catchphrase for whenever they catch a big fish.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

chrome line posted:

It wasn't Clayman who added a "Lolicon" personality trait to the game, was it? I saw that was a thing on the wiki and it squicked me out of replaying. But I also see there's a fan-mod Chaos Mode or something that seemed to add new things, so it might just be that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

It wasn't Clayman who added a "Lolicon" personality trait to the game, was it? I saw that was a thing on the wiki and it squicked me out of replaying. But I also see there's a fan-mod Chaos Mode or something that seemed to add new things, so it might just be that.

That's chaos-mode exclusive yes. I haven't touched it yet as my first go-through was before it existed but from what i've seen from discussions all that trait does is make your character make creepy comments during Forever and the entire cast rightfully hate them for it. I'm not sure why it's there. At least it's impossible to RNG into and you have to actively opt for it.

It's a shame because chaos mode contains some funny stuff(depending on how RNG swings) otherwise, like Polnareff winning the cat bet with D'arby and immediately ending that fight