Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the jpn actors for zack and aerith are good and got married irl so the solution is clear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Arist posted:

I thought that was the new guy, actually

Epi Lepi posted:

Cloud's old VA is an anti-vaxxer I think.

And Cloud's Japanese voice actor was apparently cheating on his wife for like 10 years with his assistant or something. Just a fun fact.

Hmm okay I might have been thinking of the new guy. I wish they had brought back Rick Gomez, then. He is great.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Final Fantasy sales on Steam and Switch for those who celebrate.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

betraying the brand by buying dragon quest on sale instead

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I had started playing dqxi when it hit game pass, played it for ~15 hours, and forgot about it until I saw it was set to leave today. whoops!

guess I'll have to buy it and start all over hahahahaha!!

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Vitamean posted:

I had started playing dqxi when it hit game pass, played it for ~15 hours, and forgot about it until I saw it was set to leave today. whoops!

guess I'll have to buy it and start all over hahahahaha!!

if you were playing for PC, maybe you can just lift your save file from your Documents folder or wherever it lives

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Oxxidation posted:

can’t act to save his life though

Wow, he's really dedicated to the role then!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

MorningMoon posted:

Wow, he's really dedicated to the role then!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Sale on Xbox now too.

I was hoping to buy the XIII trilogy cheap so I could ditch the discs but looks like that’s the only one not on sale!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Gonna start playing the Crisis Core remaster tonight probably.

One thing I really like about FF7 is that there's a vitally important backstory character named Zack (as a Zach myself IRL). Not used to seeing my name pop up in video games (even if it is spelled wrong in this case!).

DanielCross posted:

Even if you don't actually play past the tutorial, it's worth opening Comrades at least once (Spoilers for FFXV Royal Edition content): One of the sidequests in the City ruins has you party up with a random Glaive, and if you have Comrades save data, it's your created Glaive from that game that you party up with.

Ah, that's cool. I never did the Comrades stuff, but I'm of the (apparently uncommon) opinion that FFXV actually has a very good plot, even if it's told pretty badly by the game on its own. It actually makes significantly more sense than some other FF game plots.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

comrades seems cool and it's on my never ending list of games I'll get around to eventually, although the threat of a server shutdown always hangs over it... even though it's been running no fuss no muss for like five or six years now?

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I think currently the Comrades server is actually shut down, but there's an offline mode with NPC companions.

As for FFXV's plot, I agree that it is overall pretty good but it's told so poorly that it's one of the major reasons FFXV is my least favorite FF game so far. It's still good.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

ffxv unfortunately has a cool setting and cool lore but just the worst presentation. youre like 'the what now? huh?'

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

FrostyPox posted:

SoPFFO: Did FFXland, FFXIIland (Raithwall's Tomb!) FFIXland (...The Evil Forest or whatever it's called) and FFVIIIland (Ifrit's Cave place). The Fiends look so loving cool. I'm getting used to the gameplay and unlocked Breaker so I'm doing pretty good now.

The story is getting wild. The Lufenians have reconstructed places from other FF games and, like... made Crystals to hold memories of... people they've summoned to.... what, harvest the dark mist and create energy and science and poo poo? This is whacky. It also seems to be explaining the FFI timeloop; Lufenian shenanigans. I'm sure this will end well.

Wait, "Garland" ran off ten years ago to fight Chaos

And this is a timeloop

Then Jack is Garland? Jack... becomes Chaos?? :allears: This loving game

Not sure where we're going to next, it looks mechanical. FFVIIland? I'll find out tomorrow.

If I have it right hey orignally wanted people to experience the big reveal that Jack = Garland during gameplay, but as soon as the reveal trailer dropped people figured that fact out, so much that Square marketing instantly shifted to "Yeah, this is the story of Jack Garland."

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I love FFXV, but I maintain that if they had actually finished it, it would have been one of the best in the series.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Keromaru5 posted:

I love FFXV, but I maintain that if they had actually finished it, it would have been one of the best in the series.

I loving loved the game and the overall vibe, warts and all, so this tracks.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
If they hadn't pussied out of the ending I would still be defending it to this day.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Tabata did the best he could stapling together the Versus scraps into something semi-coherent. I’ll always respect that.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Finished the storyline for Crisis Core Reunion, but I still want to get through the 59% I have left of the side missions.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

do u REALLY

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

XV was fun, it sounds dumb but cruising around listening to your bros banter while you blast old FF game tunes like it's a classic rock station was great. It also had a very good "boring regular battle that happens 10000 times" which is important for an FF game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqDeit4elR8

they really did nail the road trip vibe with all the detail in the cooking and photography stuff, and fishing was pretty great too

e: o poo poo im drunk sorry for the obviousposting but the PYF Sagas thread is talking about FF games right now as well

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Dec 16, 2022

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

XV was fun, it sounds dumb but cruising around listening to your bros banter while you blast old FF game tunes like it's a classic rock station was great. It also had a very good "boring regular battle that happens 10000 times" which is important for an FF game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqDeit4elR8

they really did nail the road trip vibe with all the detail in the cooking and photography stuff, and fishing was pretty great too

e: o poo poo im drunk sorry for the obviousposting but the PYF Sagas thread is talking about FF games right now as well

Truth.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

jokes posted:

ffxv unfortunately has a cool setting and cool lore but just the worst presentation. youre like 'the what now? huh?'

I think the game works well if you've watched the other stuff (like the movie and those other animated things). Obviously this shouldn't be the case and it's a failing of the game that it is, but if you do go out of your way to do that stuff it's good. It also has a very unique tone to it.

I remember being confused when I was first playing it (mainly about why the eternal night stuff happened when it did and what its deal even was in the first place*) until I was discussing it with my friend and suddenly everything clicked and I was like "oh this game's plot actually makes even more sense than most other JRPGs."

* IIRC this is largely buried in random documents you can read lol

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Even if you've watched the movie and anime it doesn't really explain a bunch background stuff you need for the story to make more sense iirc

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

FFXV was fun but then it tried to have more of a plot and, shockingly, nobody liked it because that was never really the appeal of the game.

I actually think there's cool stuff there with the Starscourge and the history of the summons and Noct's destiny but it's such a minimal part of the game in comparison to everything else. I also maintain Luna is like the worst love interest ever because I could not possibly care less about her and that's because the game devotes even less attention to her. If Hanging out with Bros gets 75% of the game and Noctis' Destiny gets 15%, Noctis and Luna's relationship charitably gets 10%. It's probably even less.

Also you really should get Guests for longer stretches of time like FFXII did. There was a mod for this, to get permanent Iris or Aranea, but I couldn't get it to work. I gotta try again sometime now I got this way better PC.

In conclusion: FFXV good but flawed. And fishing is my favorite FF minigame ever. Much like I'd do in RDR2, I spent a lot of time just looking for new fishing spots.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmMflSEP3to

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Dec 16, 2022

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

FFXV rules because it’s really good at vibes. I only started fast traveling in the last 10% aka the weakest portion of the game, as everyone has rightly pointed out, when it’s all Noctis Must Fulfill His Destiny. Before then, aka the first ninetyish hours of playtime, I either ran/rode chocobos everywhere or sat in the passenger seat of the car as I had Ignis drive me everywhere as I stared at the straight-up beautiful passing scenery. It’s a final fantasy that is like literally 99% small moments of people just hanging out and helping each other and being friendly, and it just utterly rules at those interactions. Like, there is really no pressure whatsoever to advance the game’s main plot at all, and it’s basically the only FF I’ve ever played (and that even includes XIV) where that is the case. It is a game designed around enjoying its world, content, and characters, and the world-saving event is just sort of awkwardly crowbarred in there to the game’s overall detriment.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

FFXV is a good game across the board except that the story/ore (which is good) is rushed and the combat is braindead. This means that, unfortunately, it isn't particularly fantastic so it just kinda sits somewhere in the middle of the Official Final Fantasy Power Rankings. It's still an excellent game that people should play, though.

Sakurazuka posted:

Even if you've watched the movie and anime it doesn't really explain a bunch background stuff you need for the story to make more sense iirc

It's also hugely contradictory

jokes fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Dec 16, 2022

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

It’s hard to describe but the loop of going on a sidequest/hunt in the beautiful open world, then camping out or staying somewhere, picking a meal, pouring over the photos taken during the day, it all made for an experience that captured the spirit of what I love about a good big rear end RPG. As others have said, it has a loving vibe that it pulls off so well.

I also enjoyed the spooky dungeons that had some light horror elements to them. They pull off a good ominous atmosphere.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
This discussion reminds me of Sakaguchi asking where all the fans of FF6 were years ago.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

NieR Occomata posted:

FFXV rules because it’s really good at vibes. I only started fast traveling in the last 10% aka the weakest portion of the game, as everyone has rightly pointed out, when it’s all Noctis Must Fulfill His Destiny. Before then, aka the first ninetyish hours of playtime, I either ran/rode chocobos everywhere or sat in the passenger seat of the car as I had Ignis drive me everywhere as I stared at the straight-up beautiful passing scenery. It’s a final fantasy that is like literally 99% small moments of people just hanging out and helping each other and being friendly, and it just utterly rules at those interactions. Like, there is really no pressure whatsoever to advance the game’s main plot at all, and it’s basically the only FF I’ve ever played (and that even includes XIV) where that is the case. It is a game designed around enjoying its world, content, and characters, and the world-saving event is just sort of awkwardly crowbarred in there to the game’s overall detriment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNw2kGEpwAA

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

The stuff about Ardyn at the end went completely over my head and still does.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Gologle posted:

This discussion reminds me of Sakaguchi asking where all the fans of FF6 were years ago.

Well if it helps I thought it was poo poo from a dog's arse. Taking all of the cool cutscenes out of the game that actually show the plot happening that usually would be the centrepiece of a FF game and selling them to you as a separate film is one of the most insulting, wrongheaded things I've from a franchise. Also the exploration and combat were bad and dull too I guess

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
FFXV was a heroic effort to pull together some semblance of a finished product from what might have been SE’s most disorganized era, and the movie/anime tie-ins were just one part of that

sucks that SE tried to mangle it further with that awful story DLC but it got canned before the worst of the damage could be done

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the movie was p cool

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No Dignity posted:

Well if it helps I thought it was poo poo from a dog's arse. Taking all of the cool cutscenes out of the game that actually show the plot happening that usually would be the centrepiece of a FF game and selling them to you as a separate film is one of the most insulting, wrongheaded things I've from a franchise. Also the exploration and combat were bad and dull too I guess

Everything in the movie happens before the game even starts though :confused:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Everything in the movie happens before the game even starts though :confused:

But that is all the context we get for the letter to Noctis explaining that massive catastrophe, homeland conquered, family dead etc and would be a massive midgame event in any other Final Fantasy rather than an afterthought

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Oxxidation posted:

FFXV was a heroic effort to pull together some semblance of a finished product from what might have been SE’s most disorganized era, and the movie/anime tie-ins were just one part of that

sucks that SE tried to mangle it further with that awful story DLC but it got canned before the worst of the damage could be done

I wonder if XII had actually come out in 2004 like it was supposed to and XIII being on PS2 as originally planned would have made SE’s transition to HD gaming any smoother. Because drat they really struggled getting up to speed.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

HD DAD posted:

I wonder if XII had actually come out in 2004 like it was supposed to and XIII being on PS2 as originally planned would have made SE’s transition to HD gaming any smoother. Because drat they really struggled getting up to speed.

FF14 1.0 was always gonna be a complete disaster even if they didn't waste tons of time loving around with FF13 and FF15's engines, so I think they'd probably still be in roughly the same spot even if FF13 had come out on PS2, it'd just be FF16 going through an engine debacle instead.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

In Crisis Core I love how much of a god drat troll Yuffie is in this game lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

NieR Occomata posted:

I think the vibes benefit greatly from the actual plot/lore stuff, though. It's sorta a "pre-apocalytic" setting, instead of the alternative that is far more common in media.

The movie content all being, well, limited to the movie definitely hurts things, because you don't really have a good sense for how hosed things are from the game alone. But I think the combination of "traveling with friends" and "everything being extremely hosed and on the cusp of being even more extremely hosed" creates a very unique sort of vibe.

People also tend to speak poorly of the later-game, but I thought the Niflheim capital stuff was suitably creepy/disturbing (and at least it's shown to the player, unlike what happened in Insomnia). The nature of the MT troops was also a pretty good plot reveal.