Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Loid already did two checks on his wife and got nothing. It'd take something big to try to dig super deep into his wife's past or find a flaw in the Garden's coverups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Caught up on my shows today, and while I wasn't expecting a beam struggle in Spy x Family, I am so goddamn happy we got one.

TwoPair posted:

"If I could only give myself a uterus this would be so much easier..."

If you gave Loid the time and budget, I have no doubt he would significantly advance gender-affirming care if it was for the sake of the mission

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Raenir Salazar posted:

She was just as strong as a kid as far as we know.

Have we ever even see her do anything as a kid before she started doing assassination work?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

We've seen the aftermath of her first mission. So much blood, an ocean of blood.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

tsob posted:

Have we ever even see her do anything as a kid before she started doing assassination work?

It's not really clear when exactly she became an assassin now that I think about it. We know she was strong enough to break Yuri's ribs when he was a child, but the series hasn't AFAICR confirmed if that was before or after she started working her main job.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kwyndig posted:

We've seen the aftermath of her first mission. So much blood, an ocean of blood.

I doubt they let her go on an assassination mission with no training, and I also don't see why in a story that tends to explain the inclusion of superhuman powers via some kind of experiments why Yor would just have superhuman physical attributes at birth. Or why no-one would have picked up on that at birth for that matter. The hospital staff who delivered Yor or doctors examining her as a kid etc. would almost certainly have picked up on it; especially given we know she had trouble controlling her strength when she was younger. I don't even think Yuri knows about it though, since he tends to act like Yor is perfectly normal and needs him to provide for her. Which would be a lot weirder as an attitude if he knew she was superhumanly strong.

Plus, we know Yor trained Anya for a couple of hours and that couple of hours training made Anya strong enough that she could blow Damien across a hallway with a simple punch; which implies that the training Yor knows can result in superhuman ability, rather than it being something inherent to her specifically.

tsob fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Dec 14, 2022

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Yor mentions cracking two of Yuri’s ribs with a hug

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
She doesn't, however, mention whether that was before or after any training or assassination work began.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

tsob posted:

Plus, we know Yor trained Anya for a couple of hours and that couple of hours training made Anya strong enough that she could blow Damien across a hallway with a simple punch; which implies that the training Yor knows can result in superhuman ability, rather than it being something inherent to her specifically.

You mean the one person that we know for sure had secret science experiments performed on her, to give her superhuman abilities? :v:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
It might also be a mistake to assume that the world's more realistic and grounded aspects means everything must have internally consistent and equally grounded explanation; it might just be "Yor is strong because that makes her good foil for Loid" and the how of it might never be adequately explained.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

She's an Enhancer.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006
I mean, Yor's not the only Briar with superhuman capabilities; Yuri got superhuman durability from eating Yor's terrible cooking and surviving her enthusiastic gestures of affection, so something similar might have happened with Yor - that is to say, there might be a reason, but doesn't mean it'll be a serious one.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Also, you could argue that Loid and Fiona are superhuman in their own right; obviously not on Yor's level, but far beyond the average person

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Shinji2015 posted:

Also, you could argue that Loid and Fiona are superhuman in their own right; obviously not on Yor's level, but far beyond the average person

Yeah, I mean after the Tennis match I don't even think that's an argument. They are obscenely superhuman, Yor is just a level beyond that.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
Yor put all her points into strength, Loid and Fiona put them all in dexterity.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

InspectorCarbonara posted:

Yor put all her points into strength, Loid and Fiona put them all in dexterity.

Cooking is her dump stat for sure

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

TwoPair posted:

Cooking is her dump stat for sure

Cooking is probably an int based skill, and int as a dump stat makes sense for Yor. Super high strength and dex, decent con (basically immune to poison in an early manga chapter the anime has skipped for now, but still susceptible to alcohol) but she's basically mediocre to terrible in everything else i.e charisma, intelligence and wisdom.

tsob fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 14, 2022

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I expect Yuri to team up with Nightfall in trying to break them up

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

tsob posted:

Cooking is probably an int based skill, and int as a dump stat makes sense for Yor. Super high strength and dex, decent con (basically immune to poison in an early manga chapter the anime has skipped for now, but still susceptible to alcohol) but she's basically mediocre to terrible in everything else i.e charisma, intelligence and wisdom.

Yeah either Yor is a weird kind of Strength Rogue/Assassin with decent enough dex for precision strikes but otherwise seems to have proficiency/expertese in Athletics with those insane high jumps.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well if you ever needed proof Loid is built different the fact that he's still alive after taking a Yor kick to the jaw should be enough.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I think you all are forgetting about Bill Watkins (Age 6). Some people are just superhuman freaks in this world.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Yor vision, still the best. Stop being a creep and just love your wife, Loid.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Kiss your wife, Loid (but try to survive the process).

Also I thought this was the last ep of the season (last cour had 12 eps) but looks like we're getting at least one more.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

pointlessone posted:

Yor vision, still the best. Stop being a creep and just love your wife, Loid.

I'd say he's being the exact opposite of a creep the vast majority of the time, because he's giving Yor his full support at every turn while respecting what he thinks are her boundaries. When he thought there might be some romantic feelings there this episode, he fell into his training as a spy in order to use that, which is creepy, if understandable, but as far as he's concerned Yor made her feelings clear and he went straight back to supporting her and respecting what he saw as her boundaries. Doing more than that would be creepy given that context.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Kiss Yor-Wife, Loid.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
These are my favorite episodes. The ones with warm, fuzzy characterization. Anya straight up called Becky tsundere. lol

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

https://twitter.com/spyfamily_anime/status/1604306827843317760

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
Hoping the movie involves the family going on vacation and getting involved in more overtly James Bond-esque shenanigans

Also I appreciated the character development for Loid this episode: losing his mom in the war as a boy explains why he's both drawn to and avoidant of family relationships. It gives some context for his actions besides being a self-serious dummy.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The butterfly custome looked adorable.

There's a detail I missed in the ED of Yor actually having good chef skills, Cutting the roast.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Raenir Salazar posted:

There's a detail I missed in the ED of Yor actually having good chef skills, Cutting the roast.

Yor is very good at cutting things. That by itself doesn't make her a good chef. At all. Ask Yuri.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Yor should become the ultimate prep chef.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Season 2 was a no brainer, but yay. Glad it's next year too.

Movie also yay.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I feel like a movie would be a great way to do the boat arc but I'd be extremely down for an original story.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Hoping the movie involves the family going on vacation and getting involved in more overtly James Bond-esque shenanigans

Also I appreciated the character development for Loid this episode: losing his mom in the war as a boy explains why he's both drawn to and avoidant of family relationships. It gives some context for his actions besides being a self-serious dummy.

I also liked that his spy instinct - "She's into me? Put ~The Moves~ on her" - is completely wrong, but being honest with her - he felt safe with his mother and he's glad Anya feels safe with her - is completely correct.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

TwoPair posted:

I feel like a movie would be a great way to do the boat arc but I'd be extremely down for an original story.

It's an original by Endo with him supervising.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

narm00 posted:

It's an original by Endo with him supervising.

Nice. That'll be a good way to give all the characters equal time to shine.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Great ep. I always like storylines where friends help make each other better people, so the Becky/Anya half was :3:

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
anya's pretty coordinated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aieNIdp9hDQ&t=77s

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Fighting Trousers posted:

I also liked that his spy instinct - "She's into me? Put ~The Moves~ on her" - is completely wrong, but being honest with her - he felt safe with his mother and he's glad Anya feels safe with her - is completely correct.

My favorite part of that exchange was that not only is his spy instinct completely wrong, but he immediately eats poo poo for it too (as he deserved)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
He's not actually wrong though? He's just not used to dealing with someone like Yor who gets flustered so easily and is so immediate and physical in her reactions; especially when drunk. She is into him; she's just really bad at dealing with her own, genuine emotions. Both of them are. Both of them are also really blind about the others emotions, and only generally see the superficial emotions the other wants to present to the world. He was wrong to try and game her emotions in order to strengthen his mission, but he wasn't wrong about the base realization that she has feelings for him.