Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

mandatory lesbian posted:

I really dont know what the font issue is supposed to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

That loving Sned posted:

I stopped playing after the tutorial in Monster Hunter Freedom Unite because the font was nearly unreadable. Not only is it stupidly thin, but you could fit an entire letter between e v e r y c h a r a c t e r

It's much more readable in HD on PPSSPP than the original resolution though. This doesn't show how bad it was on real hardware.

Font's really important in games with no voice acting.

Just like how conversely, I wouldn't want to play a game from the early 2000's that didn't have subtitles but all the voice acting sounded blown out and coming out a fast food restaurant speaker.

Also man, ChipCheezum really hates Dirge of Cerberus. It must've done irrecoverable damage to the first one. Like some kind of prototype Final Fantasy XIV 1.0

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

:perfect:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

FrostyPox posted:

Not going to lie, I think if Type-0 had been made for home consoles instead of the PSP, it'd loving slap so goddamn hard. It's a great setting held back by being a portable game.

I've never played this game and was just watching some clips, and it seems like something I might enjoy (I was able to tolerate the original PSP Crisis Core at least, and the action gameplay in this looks better than that).

Is the story at least engaging?

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I've never played this game and was just watching some clips, and it seems like something I might enjoy (I was able to tolerate the original PSP Crisis Core at least, and the action gameplay in this looks better than that).

Is the story at least engaging?

I've only done the first mission but so far I'd say yes.

Looks like it's 12 bucks USD on steam right now if that influences your decision.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

FrostyPox posted:

I've only done the first mission but so far I'd say yes.

Looks like it's 12 bucks USD on steam right now if that influences your decision.

Ah nice, that's definitely a low enough price for me to give it a try.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I stopped playing Type-0 after like 4 missions because I expected to be able to jump in an action combat game and you can't jump

Pure bullshit

Also I'm in my 40s and just cannot relate to any of the games or anime that involve everyone being in school together

Oh and the slow death of the chocobo at the beginning almost made me stop right there. I get that it's a REALLY anti war game and I'm cool with that but don't make me watch animals suffer, not even digital pixelated ones

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Type-0 is an extremely cool game in initial setup and worldview that has a really bad camera and combat that is just not fun at all. Sucks because everything around actually playing it was cool, at least from the outset

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I hope they give the setting another go, whether its a reboot or direct sequel or indirect sequel. There's so much potential here.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Fabula Nova Crystallis round 2 would probably not be a sound business decision but I will accept more Lightning Returns

Barudak
May 7, 2007

They should make an FFXIII remake so I can buy it and they can lose a ton of money on it when no one else does

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

Fabula Nova Crystallis round 2 would probably not be a sound business decision but I will accept more Lightning Returns

Honestly the FNC setting(s) might be my favorite of all the FF settings other than VIII's. Unfortunately with the horribly messy development and questionable results, FNC is probably too radioactive to touch now, but I can dream that one day it will be given another go and this time they'll do it justice.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
To be honest I'm not entirely sure what the setting is at this point.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Clarste posted:

Weird high technology, capricious robot crystal gods and their chosen vessels (who will perform their task or else), and a lot of angst, I would say are the key elements of FNC.

Oh and Some Authoritarian Dickhead as the villain.

I say this without having play XIII-2 or LR yet.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I do kinda like seeing the same-ish design language evolve from VIII > X > XIII. There was a lot of the same people working on those three.

And then we have the IX > XII > XIV > XVI track, which carries similar elements.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Help Im Alive posted:

she cannot return again, she is in Paris, Earth, where there is no magic

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

HD DAD posted:

I do kinda like seeing the same-ish design language evolve from VIII > X > XIII. There was a lot of the same people working on those three.

That might be part of the reason I like VIII and XIII so much. I feel like VII is in there, too, but I don't have quite the eye for design trends.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Clarste posted:

The core FNC universe is 'what everyone stereotyped every JRPG setting as being pre-Persona'.

...although with Type-0 being set in a school, maybe it's also the post-Persona stereotype.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

13-2 has the single best boss fight or interaction in FF history. I’m not joking, and I’m not exaggerating when I say that the entire trilogy and all of its offshoots are worth it just for that boss fight alone. It’s genuinely one of the best overall things SE has ever done.

LR is a really cool extremely weird as all hell game, and it definitely would have been cool if they took the ideas present in LR and expanded or worked on them more. There’s this whole world where LR spawned a bunch of offshoot games that refined on its extremely weird and singular combat and unique story setup and it’s a better world than we have now.

Basically LR in addition to being a really fun and overall pretty good game could have been this sort of first draft of a new way to approach JRPGs and we probably lost something materially when they went more in a kingdom hearts inspired route with 15 and then VII remake. Not that either of those games are bad, they both rule, it’s just there was a lot of new and unique ideas LR brought to the table that basically never got iterated on when they really should have been.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

:aaaaa: holy poo poo, I made this months ago! I never got an email response so I’d given up on it getting uploaded. Hell yeah!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

nicely done. they were waiting for the 35th anniversary to upload em all apparently

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Every FNC game had some very good ideas, but for the most part they all have different good ideas.

Which gets frustrating since whatever thing you personal like is probably never getting the focus you wish it did.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That loving Sned posted:

I stopped playing after the tutorial in Monster Hunter Freedom Unite because the font was nearly unreadable. Not only is it stupidly thin, but you could fit an entire letter between e v e r y c h a r a c t e r

It's much more readable in HD on PPSSPP than the original resolution though. This doesn't show how bad it was on real hardware.

l i t t l e m o n e y : t h e g a m e

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Type-0:

So, uh... if you die you just get erased from memory. Jesus loving Christ.

I wound up using Deuce, Sice, and I can't remember the third for the second mission. I accidentally summoned two support characters which replaced Sice and the other guy so I was Deuce for most of it. I have no loving clue what her flute does. Still won cuz I could just lob fireballs at the enemies and the game is very easy on Cadet, even when I was about four levels below the recommended mission for the level. The gameplay is, indeed, not the best, but it's not actively horrible yet.

Calling it: Mother is a loving fal'Cie and Class Zero are her l'Cie.

EDIT: Apparently Deuce's starting ability puts Protect and Aura on allies, that's handy.

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 19, 2022

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

FrostyPox posted:

Type-0:

I wound up using Deuce, Sice, and I can't remember the third for the second mission. I accidentally summoned two support characters which replaced Sice and the other guy so I was Deuce for most of it. I have no loving clue what her flute does. Still won cuz I could just lob fireballs at the enemies and the game is very easy on Cadet, even when I was about four levels below the recommended mission for the level. The gameplay is, indeed, not the best, but it's not actively horrible yet.

EDIT: Apparently Deuce's starting ability puts Protect and Aura on allies, that's handy.

Do you remember what weapon the 3rd person used?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

FrostyPox posted:

Type-0:

Some helpful advice: it's good to keep at 6 people leveled up / at the mission level, with 2 of them being ranged attackers.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Not sure if I'm mixing up how it worked but I remember the game giving you a varied recommended 3 for story missions and if you choose it, you're spreading experience and almost guaranteed to not hate all 3 move sets. From there you just need to build side quest parties of one leveled person with a moveset you like with the other 2 being whoever is absolute lowest leveled.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Is crisis core reunion worth playing? I never played it on PSP and I don't care a lot about Zach, but if it's a good game I'll give it a go. Hard to divorce nostalgia enjoyment from what the game is like in some reviews.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

JBP posted:

Is crisis core reunion worth playing? I never played it on PSP and I don't care a lot about Zach, but if it's a good game I'll give it a go. Hard to divorce nostalgia enjoyment from what the game is like in some reviews.

I did not care for it at all when it came out, minus the final mission. That said Im particularly adverse to the kind of story and the story itself that they're telling and mechanically I found it like a lot of PSP games where its not as complex as a console game nor as compact as a good portable version so I ended up unhappy. This may have changed in the remake!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Crisis Core is cool, but for me not 50 dollars cool. The dramatic irony in knowing that poo poo goes down when the team is sent to Nibelheim drove a lot of the plot for me.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
I've always loved "the march toward inevitability" as a storytelling concept, it's part of why 358/2 Days is one of my favorite individual stories in the Kingdom Hearts series. I know a lot of people have the "I know how it ends, so nothing that happens before the ending matters and why do I care?" but I find it important that the characters don't know they're doomed. Their struggles are still interesting and narratively satisfying even if they're destined for failure.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

JBP posted:

Crisis Core is great, no idea about the remake but I wouldn't pay $50 for it

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1604453351512383491?s=46&t=RLnBdFUJxO4ePC4Zg9baeA

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

FrostyPox posted:

I do like how they work that into the overall worldbuilding.

I remember a random NPC at Akademia mentioning that everyone leaves their dogtags at base before going to a fight. Why? So everyone who comes back can pick them up when they get home. Is there a leftover tag and no one knows who it belongs to? They died, go make a grave for them. Leftover tag and you do know them? They're MIA.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Wakka?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Memes.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Holy moly @ the finale to the SiIvagunner FF takeover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBJ2uA8PRv8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KU4fK0OSUGk

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
https://twitter.com/MinovskyArticle/status/1604495563529003012

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I was gonna say thats just Wakka meme in Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Also undoubtedly a bit of a protest since Square's lawyers demanded that video removed from the internet. I mentioned it back in June when it happened and it was in large part the takedown demand that went really viral (and the niconico-comment filled video of it I posted has since been taken down too, rip)

E: Hah, it has also gotten reuploaded it seems... in 8k resolution!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cgc0Jl46xY

Suitably Wakka's placement as the 53rd most popular character in the last big character poll is one of the references, still didn't get that 1st place but he sure got close.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Dec 19, 2022