Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
If the game gives one singular “moment” it’s when Chappu left the sword behind to use a gun so Wakka blames the gun for his death. A lot of character arcs in 10 assume you’re talking to everyone while the party is all split up in town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Mister Olympus posted:

If the game gives one singular “moment” it’s when Chappu left the sword behind to use a gun so Wakka blames the gun for his death. A lot of character arcs in 10 assume you’re talking to everyone while the party is all split up in town.

If only the taco girl had been there

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mister Olympus posted:

Although this is said in a mandatory cutscene, after Wakka breaks his foot kicking a cannon before Operation Mi'ihen IIRC.

Still, you should be talking to everybody all the time. They spared no expense on giving everybody in the party voiced dialogue even for minor things.

One of the more interesting and relatively subtle things is looking at the Jecht Spheres. Everybody loves Braska and Auron now, but based on those, the pair of them and Jecht were a bunch of losers everybody hated and expected to die in a ditch somewhere. Braska was "dishonored" for daring to marry an Al Bhed woman, despite being an oh-so-holy summoner. Honestly, Yuna kinda ends up the same way as Mika changes from "Yuna is a traitor, kill her" to "Yuna is my only hope."

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

Wakka is racist because the society he was raised in is racist, he stops being racist when he meets someone of differing race and realizes that they aren't bad people, as well as seeing demonstrable evidence of the people who taught him being wrong and hypocritical in their own beliefs

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Auron's backstory is basically "Didn't want to get married, left to hang out with the guys"

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

bobjr posted:

Auron's backstory is basically "Didn't want to get married, left to hang out with the guys"

And hell, same.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
poo poo, FFX was good. I didn't even bat an eye at Wakka being top two in that poll because of it, because that whole game's got really top-notch story and characters. I'd probably put Wakka up near the top too, even without memes!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
FFX’s story is one of the few video game stories I could see holding up outside of the medium. It’s just legitimately good.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Wakka's racist because he is a microcosm of the general populace of Spira as a whole, their uneducated proletarian masses embodied in one goober who lives out in the sticks and would probably vote for Maester Trump given the chance. People in Spira (and therefore Wakka) are racist because they're steeped in a controlling sham religion that needs a convenient minority to demonize. People in Spira (and therefore Wakka) are distrustful of technology because whenever someone puts their trust in it, it backfires and makes things worse. People in Spira (and therefore Wakka) are huge defeatists because they only know loss and gently caress it they'll probably be dead by 30, so all you can do is stumble along and do your best with no real expectation of actually overcoming life's seemingly intractable problems. And Wakka, like Spira, manages to grow outside his small-minded prejudices and worldview once exposed to new outside perspectives.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I didn't play FFX until the HD remaster but I really enjoyed it. I'll never get all the best weapons or fight any of the dark aeons but the rest of the base game is really good and the combat is engaging and fun

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
What Tidus sees in the bedroom every night

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Getting all the best weapons is mostly fun, the butterflies are poorly coded garbage and that’s a bit hard simply because of that. The chocobo racing one is almost pure loving luck and that final bend in the race is the single most evil boss Square Enix has ever made. Lightning strikes on its surface seems hard until you realize that there’s specific spots on the map that lightning is guaranteed to strike, then it just becomes kind of tedious. Every other weapon, crest, or sigil is enjoyable to obtain (even blitzball becomes kind of fun once you figure out how to always win and either powerlevel the aurochs until they’re insane or recruit all the best players)

The dark aeons are mostly fun to fight and honestly fairly well balanced against an endgame party, which is genuinely impressive considering how absolutely nuts everybody gets by endgame. The extensive amount of endgame stuff there is to do- dark aeons, capturing/arena completion, completing the sphere grids - all that is fun, and imo worth doing. Getting overdrive to ap setups is enjoyable, tonberry farming, all that stuff rules. The only stuff that really sucks is luck/clear sphere shenanigans (because that’s the single most tedious and soul-killing grind in the game) and Penance, since it kind of requires you to do the former and the strat to beat it legit is literally two hours of doing the same actions over and over and hoping that you get lucky and penance doesn’t rng-kill you with his unavoidable “everybody dies” supermove. Just pay off Yojimbo and collect the easy win, Penance is in no way deserving of being beaten legitimately.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Dec 20, 2022

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

NieR Occomata posted:

Getting all the best weapons is mostly fun, the butterflies are poorly coded garbage and that’s a bit hard simply because of that. The chocobo racing one is almost pure loving luck and that final bend in the race is the single most evil boss Square Enix has ever made. Lightning strikes on its surface seems hard until you realize that there’s specific spots on the map that lightning is guaranteed to strike, then it just becomes kind of tedious. Every other weapon, crest, or sigil is enjoyable to obtain (even blitzball becomes kind of fun once you figure out how to always win and either powerlevel the aurochs until they’re insane or recruit all the best players)

The dark aeons are mostly fun to fight and honestly fairly well balanced against an endgame party, which is genuinely impressive considering how absolutely nuts everybody gets by endgame. The extensive amount of endgame stuff there is to do- dark aeons, capturing/arena completion, completing the sphere grids - all that is fun, and imo worth doing. Getting overdrive to ap setups is enjoyable, tonberry farming, all that stuff rules. The only stuff that really sucks is luck/clear sphere shenanigans (because that’s the single most tedious and soul-killing grind in the game) and Penance, since it kind of requires you to do the former and the strat to beat it legit is literally two hours of doing the same actions over and over and hoping that you get lucky and penance doesn’t rng-kill you with his unavoidable “everybody dies” supermove. Just pay off Yojimbo and collect the easy win, Penance is in no way deserving of being beaten legitimately.

Alternate Take- Almost all the post-game in FFX is terrible. Half the special weapons (Tidus, Lulu, Kihmari, Wakka) require tedious bullshit, the arena grind to fill Noah's loving Ark five times over is asinine just let me fight the fun bosses already, and the Dark Aeons are all grossly overtuned to basically require you to have a fully twinked-out squad which requires some absolutely horrendous grinding. The name of the game for FFX's post-game is Time Sink and it loving sucks. I like Final Fantasy X a lot but most players would do themselves a lot of favors by just moving to the end of the game once they get the airship and pick up the last couple summons. Maybe do the hidden dungeon, since that's completable with an endgame-ready team and a little prep and doesn't have a steep time cost to entry like the Arena bosses.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

On one hand I wouldn’t necessarily disagree with a lot of that out of hand, on the other I’d point out that you get the arena unlocked about halfway through the game and if you’re diligent on using capture weapons from that point on you get most of the way through arena poo poo anyways before you can even go back there. Secondly, it’s quite possible to just make whatever ultimate weapon you don’t feel like obtaining the traditional way- in Khimari’s case specifically, you can make a straight-up better weapon than the one he gets, which is honestly kind of hilarious. The weapons in and of themselves outside of the trophy aren’t tied to anything so if you find the grind truly miserable just skip it and make your own, or just skip using the character altogether given that you only “need” three characters to be endgame-capable. The dark aeons complaint I take the most issue with; if they didn’t exist there’d be nothing to use your endgame builds on besides arena superbosses, even the secret final dungeon turns into one gigantic joke once you start maxing people’s grids.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

They could just not have put in the tremendous leap in numbers required to do the endgame content. Also the Dark Aeons are nearly all in critical locations that block off parts of the map and in one case block off one of the items you'd need to beat them if you don't have it already!

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Dec 20, 2022

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

HD DAD posted:

FFX’s story is one of the few video game stories I could see holding up outside of the medium. It’s just legitimately good.

Tidus is a good character IMO and it's dumb that he has a bad reputation. Still my favorite FF game.

Some elements of the story flow would probably have to be changed for another medium, but the base plot is still solid.

Gologle posted:

In the end you're still choosing dogs over people though, which is my point. Emet couldn't do it, and it's understandable why he couldn't do it. He isn't destroying the world for the lulz or because he's the manifestation of hate or something like some two bit 80's RPG villain. It's compelling.

The fact that you're choosing "people already dead" over "people still living" is an extremely important distinction, though (and is the thing that makes it "unambiguously morally wrong" instead of "morally uncertain").

Also, comparing "ancients vs the mortal races" to "humans vs dogs" doesn't make sense, because it's transparently obvious that the mortal races are fully sapient and capable of communicating with the ancients (and generally don't seem that different aside from being less powerful and having limited lifespans). I've always disliked when fiction (usually scifi) tries to do a "this advanced race sees humans like humans see ants" sort of thing, because it usually doesn't make any sense (though this is fortunately not what FF14 does, since Emet Selch is partially bullshitting himself when he goes on about the inferiority of the mortal races).

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

For comparison, Braska's Final Aeon has 180K HP across both forms.

Dark Valefor has 800K.

Penance has 12 million HP, plus two arms with 500K HP that revive several turns later.

That is just obscene stat bloat, and your only options for dealing with it are to either spend hours ripping out and optimizing the sphere grid or gaming the system with Yojimbo.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
All the Emet-Selch talk has me interested again. I’m familiar with the story up to the end of Shadow, but he comes back in Endwalker? What happens in Endwalker?!

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

ManSedan posted:

All the Emet-Selch talk has me interested again. I’m familiar with the story up to the end of Shadow, but he comes back in Endwalker? What happens in Endwalker?!

Actual spoilers here, but one segment has you use the Crystal Tower in the First to go back in time to the pre-Sundering world and Emet's a major character for that bit. He also shows up 'in person' near the end but he's specifically a ghost called out of the Lifestream for that, as it takes time for someone to get completely wiped clean.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

No Dignity posted:

They could just not have put in the tremendous leap in numbers required to do the endgame content. Also the Dark Aeons are nearly all in critical locations that block off parts of the map and in one case block off one of the items you'd need to beat them if you don't have it already!

god help you if you go back to the Zanarkand dome without saving lol

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mr. Locke posted:

Alternate Take- Almost all the post-game in FFX is terrible. Half the special weapons (Tidus, Lulu, Kihmari, Wakka) require tedious bullshit, the arena grind to fill Noah's loving Ark five times over is asinine just let me fight the fun bosses already, and the Dark Aeons are all grossly overtuned to basically require you to have a fully twinked-out squad which requires some absolutely horrendous grinding. The name of the game for FFX's post-game is Time Sink and it loving sucks. I like Final Fantasy X a lot but most players would do themselves a lot of favors by just moving to the end of the game once they get the airship and pick up the last couple summons. Maybe do the hidden dungeon, since that's completable with an endgame-ready team and a little prep and doesn't have a steep time cost to entry like the Arena bosses.

This is my philosophy as well.

It's funny, I don't think I've ever heard a good word about FFX's optional content beyond the occasional "I like Blitzball." Certainly nothing like "Penance is my favorite fight!" People just do it, then write about how much it sucks.

I never got it but it's also why I never did it.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

FFX's postgame feels like a prototype for optional content, especially the international release. Like, the dark aeons are straight up bad game design in how they're put in front of important things and places.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

also fwiw i used the 99 items cheat thing and just spammed high-end spheres until beating all the dark aeons wasn't even that big of a deal.

I still gave up on penance.

Grinding the sphere grid is even more boring than grinding actual fights

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

This is why I like secret bosses like Ozma, which only has like 65000 HP. You don't need to grind stats to beat it, you just need to know how to handle what it throws at you.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
In 2002 someone on gamefaqs posted “Blitzball blitzblows” and that remains true to this day.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
I still have yet to beat FFXII because I need to do all the side content before heading to the Sky Fortress but Yiazmat just has too much health and I did not want to grind.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I would not do that at all and just finish the game instead

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Draga posted:

I still have yet to beat FFXII because I need to do all the side content before heading to the Sky Fortress but Yiazmat just has too much health and I did not want to grind.

Yiazmat is weak to dark, and you have ninja blades that have dark element

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

Tidus is a good character IMO and it's dumb that he has a bad reputation. Still my favorite FF game.

Tidus is the ultimate himbo which I couldn't appreciate until the term himbo came around.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The only problem with Tidus' character is the dream stuff.

The game just does not want to spend any time on the whole "I'm going to not exist soon" angst. Believe me, I understand a lot of other poo poo is happening at the time, but this is the one criticsm I've seen of Tidus I can really understand. In comparison to everything else in FFX which causes Tidus problems, this gets barely any attention.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Tidus is too dumb to contemplate his imminent demise, that's why he high-fives his ghost dad as he's ripped apart into individual atoms

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

jokes posted:

Tidus is too dumb to contemplate his imminent demise, that's why he high-fives his ghost dad as he's ripped apart into individual atoms

It's this. No one ever tells him it means no more Blitzball. His brain just discards this info.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Heran Bago posted:

It's this. No one ever tells him it means no more Blitzball. His brain just discards this info.

Poor Tidus, not only was his life a lie, but all the fangirls were fake too.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Poor Tidus: catfished by his own existence.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

"No! I must kill the dreams" he shouted
The radio said "No, Tidus. You are the dreams"
And then Tidus was an illusion

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Draga posted:

I still have yet to beat FFXII because I need to do all the side content before heading to the Sky Fortress

No, you don't

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Content exists to be completed, whether or not you enjoy it is irrelevant.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

The only problem with Tidus' character is the dream stuff.

The game just does not want to spend any time on the whole "I'm going to not exist soon" angst. Believe me, I understand a lot of other poo poo is happening at the time, but this is the one criticsm I've seen of Tidus I can really understand. In comparison to everything else in FFX which causes Tidus problems, this gets barely any attention.

I'll defend the dream stuff, if for no other reason than it made the name "Final Fantasy" actually refer to something in-universe for the first time in the franchise's history. Truly Tidus was the Final Fantasy.

His real only problem is his dumbass outfit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I maintain my initial assessment that Tidus is a golden retriever puppy, and I guess golden retrievers are the himbos of dogs