Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Zil posted:

From the OSHA thread

Pretty sure that's an SCP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

wesleywillis posted:

I see the point you're trying to make, but I don't really want someone to unscrew the walls of the toilet stall I'm in while I'm taking a poo poo.

Ugh, what sort of capitalist dystopia are we living in where I can't take down the wall between two bathroom stalls to give myself some legroom? It's like being in prison.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
panopticommode

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Canuckistan posted:

:canada: Robertson (square for you squares) 4 lyfe :canada:

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Zil posted:

From the OSHA thread

Man these loss edits are getting more and more abstract

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Motronic posted:

I guess I didn't phrase it well, but that kinda is my point. It's already getting to the point that the "average" person can't really afford to buy something already existing. Building on your own is rarely ever cheaper than buying something that already exists unless you literally have the cash to just make it happen and also somehow know all the right contractors and GC on your own. And I guess don't have a job other than "be the GC for my house" for a year.

Maybe there are places where this isn't the case but lol it's not anywhere near me and it's definitely not in any HCOL area.

Yep, bespoke building is for the rich, even out here in flyover country. To the point that even the stock builders are either running out bi-attached houses on postage stamps, or doing only rough-in on walkout lower levels to keep their numbers down enough that people can actually get a loan to buy.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
MEET

Liquid Communism posted:

bi-attached houses on postage stamps

IN YOUR AREA

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Empty Sandwich posted:

MEET

IN YOUR AREA

:quagmire:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

jammyozzy posted:

Lockheed aircraft.

*E* the good thing about most of those heads is if you own a hammer and some impact torx bits, you have the universal tool to remove all of them once

With a Dremel and a cutting wheel, all screws are slot screws.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Liquid Communism posted:

With a Dremel and a cutting wheel, all screws are slot screws.

Get out of my garage.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Something about the upper windows on this building doesn’t sit quite right with me.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
My need for symmetry is similarly disquieted.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Canuckistan posted:

:hai: :canada:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

monkeytennis posted:

Something about the upper windows on this building doesn’t sit quite right with me.

This is hosed up OP

Canuckistan posted:

Hell yeah :canada:

I feel like on a D&D chart of drive types you'd have flathead as chaotic evil and robertson as lawful neutral, JIS as lawful good, Torx as chaotic good, etc.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Dec 26, 2022

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

My house has a phone nook! I feel like I should make it into a little lararia for my household gods or something.

If you want your household gods to stay you need to make the nook into a penatentiary

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Cyrano4747 posted:

Get out of my garage.

Don’t talk to your father that way.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

VelociBacon posted:

I feel like on a D&D chart of drive types you'd have flathead as chaotic evil and robertson as lawful neutral, JIS as lawful good, Torx as chaotic good, etc.
Chart doesn't even acknowledge JIS. A shameful chart.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
The Honda dealer rips out the JIS bolts in the brake rotors in my partners car every time because they "round off" because they're using a Phillips head so I have to keep a bunch of bolts at home to replace them with. Also they believe in over torquing the hell out the lug nuts

Edit: they go to the dealership because they can change out the oil for less than I can even buy the materials

moist turtleneck fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Dec 26, 2022

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

moist turtleneck posted:

The Honda dealer rips out the JIS bolts in the brake rotors in my partners car every time

Those are assembly screws and serve no function other than ensuring that the rotors don't fall off inadvertently during the build process. What you describe is very common among dealers / mechanics since those POS screws seize like crazy and don't provide any meaningful function to the average mechanic.

Source - 15 years of continuous Honda ownership and about that many brake jobs on Hondas.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
drat, they always felt like they kept the rotor square when putting on the wheel

One time they somehow torqued the wheel onto the rotor at an angle and wore the pads down super fast and I figured that was part of the problem

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Not really the thread for it, but drive a stick shift and your brakes will magically last a lot longer. I took a Kia Soul to 120k miles on factory everything but tires, wipers, lamps and fluids.

A clutch is cheaper to replace than an automatic/CVT.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
What's the house equivalent of "I drive a stick shift :smuggo:"?

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
my house was stick-built :chord:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Guy Axlerod posted:

An 80s RV.

E: maybe 70s.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Dec 26, 2022

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Guy Axlerod posted:

"They don't built them like they used to, my 1923 Sears craftsman is <insert survivorship bias>"

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The CVT version is a builder grade zero lot line in an HOA built on a landfill.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Guy Axlerod posted:

No question it's the solar panel guy

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
"The sun push starts my house."

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

moist turtleneck posted:

drat, they always felt like they kept the rotor square when putting on the wheel

One time they somehow torqued the wheel onto the rotor at an angle and wore the pads down super fast and I figured that was part of the problem

They do keep the rotor square when putting on the wheel, but the wheel will push it into place when it goes on as long as you aren't the neanderthal putting wheels on at your local dealership.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe
What Cat Hatter said. I'm also struggling to come up with a scenario where a new rotor isn't on the hub square that doesn't involve an enormous amount of rust or a defective rotor. In either case you'd be experiencing an incredible amount of shuddering when you applied the brakes.

Side note that good rotors are becoming really hard to source in our capitalist hellscape. I recently had two major failures of Centric premiums after less than 24 months. I had never seen an actually visibly warped rotor before then.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

My husband and I both drive stick, but (A) aging knees and (B) harder and harder to find if you don't drive a sports car. For at least two decades, the stick model has been in the lowest trimline of any model of car we're interested in buying.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
They were tearing through rotors every year or so and then I did changed the pads and rotors myself with Wagners and they've lasted 3 years with barely any wear

But yeah I agree the dealership was doing something wacky, one time the rear wheel was making weird noises when making a turn and I looked back there when I got home and the wheel was holding on with a single loose lug nut. It was a few weeks later so I assume they finger tightened and forgot to torque that one wheel and took a while to work their way off.

moist turtleneck fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Dec 26, 2022

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I'm sure you do now, but always double check lug nuts, radiator caps, and oil plugs if you didn't do them yourself.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Haha nah I learned nothing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRbNlvO287U

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
:hmmyes:

Jows
May 8, 2002

Vim Fuego posted:

I'm sure you do now, but always double check lug nuts, radiator caps, and oil plugs if you didn't do them yourself.

And rags in your engine compartment on the exhaust manifold. I had a car fire from that after a transmission replacement a couple years ago..

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
this juke to cars is handy bc I just saw a car that made me think of this thread: the cracks in the plastic bumper had been repaired by drilling a series of neat tiny holes and then suturing them together with plastic zip ties

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Empty Sandwich posted:

this juke to cars is handy bc I just saw a car that made me think of this thread: the cracks in the plastic bumper had been repaired by drilling a series of neat tiny holes and then suturing them together with plastic zip ties

Also known as a drift stitch, since they crack a LOT of plastic. It's about as much about the aesthetics as the practical temp repair.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

PirateDentist posted:

Also known as a drift stitch, since they crack a LOT of plastic. It's about as much about the aesthetics as the practical temp repair.

I didn't realize it was a thing! very cool.

these were just a series of single loops (like staples). I'd never seen it before, despite being in an area with a lot of beaten-to-poo poo cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

The less artistic and more mechanically-challenged use duct tape