Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Tesseract Strategy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

ManSedan posted:

lettuce all remember the sacred rule of the something awful final fantasy thread on the something awful forums:

"Every Final Fantasy game is the [best/worst] Final Fantasy game."

Every Final Fantasy is good, except for your personal favorite, which is bad and I will list the reasons why:

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Every Final Fantasy game ruined the series.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Fat and Useless posted:

Everything kinda unlocks at once and I don't know how possible it is to turn off expansions anymore. A lot of the big quality of life improvements come from doing the capstone to the game which you can do alongside the rest of the game in bits and pieces.

Honestly its a miracle that the last ps2 dev kit is still alive and trying it's best. Asking it to do some type of free trial version might kill it.

They don’t even have console versions anymore. Its more that playonline is a giant boondoggle they’d have to rewrite in order to join subs or try to make it f2p.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

jokes posted:

FFXV’s magic system was just vancian casting.

Imagine if !Mix had vancian spell slots. Also, the mix command lets you include an element as an ingredient. When you rest, however, you don’t refresh the spell slots, you just refresh the elemental ingredients.

That’s the FF15 magic system.

I've been replaying 15 on PC, and the magic isn't quite as bad as I remembered. You end up with quite a few slots and can absorb more magic pretty easily. You're encouraged to use the magic you have just so you can free up slots to use up the resources you've gathered naturally through camping, using the Engine Blades, etc.

It's also pretty cool looking. I like how the ice magic leaves everything coated in frost. I basically use magic anytime a fight seems like it might be annoying (like against those mindflayer guys).

I think my main gripe with the combat is the way you can spam potions (which are super cheap and heal 50% HP so they never become weaker). I guess they wanted it to be possible to beat while blindly attacking things.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Those octopath games feel like the story was written by an AI chat bot.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
On account of this thread, I actually started replaying XV for the first time since 2016 vanilla. I never experienced any of the patches after day one.

Literally only 2 hours in and I feel like there’s already tiny bits and pieces that weren’t there before, mainly incidental dialogue and some QOL improvements.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Ytlaya posted:

I've been replaying 15 on PC, and the magic isn't quite as bad as I remembered. You end up with quite a few slots and can absorb more magic pretty easily. You're encouraged to use the magic you have just so you can free up slots to use up the resources you've gathered naturally through camping, using the Engine Blades, etc.

It's also pretty cool looking. I like how the ice magic leaves everything coated in frost. I basically use magic anytime a fight seems like it might be annoying (like against those mindflayer guys).

I think my main gripe with the combat is the way you can spam potions (which are super cheap and heal 50% HP so they never become weaker). I guess they wanted it to be possible to beat while blindly attacking things.

Mixing in XP-modifying items into the magic is a pretty effective way to way over level yourself for some of the post game hunts.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Dawgstar posted:

I hope that means the Octopath 2 characters will interact. That put me off the first game, which was fine mechanically and I liked the individual stories but you'd have things like Therion going "I work alone!" and then proceeds to mutely join a group of randos.

I believe the trailer actually said they'd have interactions. So there's that. That gives hope that they're actually addressing the problems with the game, but it's impossible to tell if they also fixed the problem of 'they put all the actually interesting story into a bullshit-hard postgame that I suspect a lot of people never found, let alone beat'.

Both Bravely and Octopath are in that field of 'a sequel could fix all these problems', but given Bravely's been in that spot for three games and arguably only gotten worse, I'm not the most confident. They'd still be producing solidly 'worth playing' games no matter what, but they're thoroughly mid despite clearly having all the ingredients and capacity to be better. They don't need to be more expensive or less turn-based--hell, the battle systems for both are basically perfect--they just need to be braver.

And Agents Are Go is still, no matter what, going to complain that I dared have a remotely negative opinion.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 27, 2022

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I knew Cid Aulstyne sounded familiar, it's Steven Blum who has been in *checks notes* everything

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Cleretic posted:

Both Bravely and Octopath are in that field of 'a sequel could fix all these problems', but given Bravely's been in that spot for three games and arguably only gotten worse, I'm not the most confident. They'd still be producing solidly 'worth playing' games no matter what, but they're thoroughly mid despite clearly having all the ingredients and capacity to be better. They don't need to be more expensive or less turn-based--hell, the battle systems for both are basically perfect--they just need to be braver.

I still maintain that the Bravely game with the best overall design was Four Heroes of Light.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Bravely Second is one of my favorite JRPGs of all time. It's a shame they gave Bravely Default II to a less experienced team rather than continuing with that design trajectory.

4 Heroes of Light had some very cool ideas, but I don't like how much of the game you spend with a split party, and I don't like the level scaling.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

FrostyPox posted:

I knew Cid Aulstyne sounded familiar, it's Steven Blum who has been in *checks notes* everything

Wow I thought he was like 60 now

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nyaawn posted:

Wow I thought he was like 60 now

he is, but he still takes on the occasional role. guy loves to work

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
He was in Neon White this year too.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

And Wolverine in Midnight Suns, but they shelled out for the vocal talent.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

WoFF: This is great, they're just throwin' FF characters at me.

I'm 99% sure Vivi's VA was also an actor for that old Rugrats cartoon.

We're going to Big Bridge, can't wait to fight good ol' Greg

EDIT: Yep, Vivi's VA was also in Rugrats, Kath Soucie

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Dec 28, 2022

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
My favorite FF VA detail is that Jecht shares one with Grimlock, Odie, and Cornfed.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Keromaru5 posted:

My favorite FF VA detail is that Jecht shares one with Grimlock, Odie, and Cornfed.

I knew him first as The Gromble!

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Cleretic posted:

And Agents Are Go is still, no matter what, going to complain that I dared have a remotely negative opinion.

Not true.

I could complain about something else. :colbert:

It's not the fact that you have negative opinions, it's that you seem personally offended by the fact that Final Fantasy games aren't crafted as bespoke artifacts fitting what you think they should be.

I don't even mind turn-based games, and if returning to turn-based let Square-Enix make more than two mainline entries per decade I'd be all for it.

It does seem that it's harder to make a fair challenge with turn-based battles, without making the game insanely overtuned (Lunar SSSC) or just kick-me-in-the-dick hard (Legend of Legaia.)

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I thought Legend of Legaia was made to give half the xp and gold per encounter when ported overseas.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Gideon Emery just popped up in Tactics Ogre and I was immediately like :swoon: it's balthier :swoon:

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
On the topic of voice actors and Final Fantasy I laughed when I found out the guy who voices Ardyn also voices J. Jonah Jameson in the new Spider-man games.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

:thunk:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Diofield Chronicles is pretty good

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lol

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Scalding Coffee posted:

I thought Legend of Legaia was made to give half the xp and gold per encounter when ported overseas.

Even if you doubled xp and gold, the game is brutal just on a turn-to-turn basis - random enemies take huge chunks of health out of you with every hit.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
the subgenre of wizardry-descended dungeon crawlers like etrian odyssey tend to do an okay job with hard-but-fair

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Omniscient fight in Fork Tower was hilarious. He kept using Return every time I got close to beating him.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

The Omniscient fight in Fork Tower was hilarious. He kept using Return every time I got close to beating him.

If that's from FF5 the simplest solution is to not use a non magic command, as that's what triggers Return. Absolute easiest method is wear a reflect ring or spam reflect on everyone and just let Omniscient kill himself on you while you read a book or something.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yeah, the flaw with that was that I went up the left fork first and was unable to readjust the equipment on that duo since he was the second fight. I eventually got him after a bit.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Gaia does not count as magic.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Mustached Demon posted:

Gaia does not count as magic.

Evergreen:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
e: beaten

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yeah, the flaw with that was that I went up the left fork first and was unable to readjust the equipment on that duo since he was the second fight. I eventually got him after a bit.

That must've been rough! Honestly I don't think I've ever done that fight legitimately, it's always been reflect ring and read a book.

Then again I've also only ever beaten FF5 during the Fiesta. For some reason I just can't finish it unless I'm artificially limiting my options.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I just finished Chained Echoes and it had the effect of making me want to play FF12 again. What are some of the best mods for a different experience this time around?

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Lets not forget you can magically compel Omniscient to a fist fight.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I haven’t beaten FFV yet, just beat the Fork Tower so I’m close to the end. But I’m amused at the contrast between Golbez and Exdeath.

Golbez is a slave to his darkness. He weaponized his own guilt against Kain to make him his own puppet. He’s very similar to Darth Vader. There’s a lot going on.

Exdeath feels like a tokusatsu villain in contrast. He has a duel with a turtle and then afterward comically cackles as he unleashes his army of colorful monsters. This isn’t a complaint. A thin villain can be refreshing.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Exdeath is absolutely a saturday morning cartoon villain in the best way. Probably my favorite bad guy of any FF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Detective No. 27 posted:

I haven’t beaten FFV yet, just beat the Fork Tower so I’m close to the end. But I’m amused at the contrast between Golbez and Exdeath.

Golbez is a slave to his darkness. He weaponized his own guilt against Kain to make him his own puppet. He’s very similar to Darth Vader. There’s a lot going on.

Exdeath feels like a tokusatsu villain in contrast. He has a duel with a turtle and then afterward comically cackles as he unleashes his army of colorful monsters. This isn’t a complaint. A thin villain can be refreshing.

He's got the Saturday morning cartoon villain origin story too: the typical ancient FF civilization took all their anger, hatred, sadness, etc and stuffed it in a tree.