Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

majima screaming the c-word ("cobber") as he smashes some thug's face into the ground

Y'know here I assumed the c was "CHAAANNN", comma, Kiryu

edit: Headcanon that it's not actually a pet name, he just calls him Kiryu Chan because he doesn't remember Kiryu's actual last name after he loses it a little. My grandpa called everybody "John" and that's how we found out he had dementia so Majima probably has a whole lot of that from the blows to the head he's taken while breakdancing over the years.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 00:01 on Jan 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Len posted:

Maybe they were going for caricature of a 1920s gangster?

If only there was some sort of way to translate something where tone could come through and be understood, maybe by casting people and having them speak a local language that the person playing or watching can understand?

Sounds great

how do you do that in a subtitle only localization

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Phy posted:

IIRC the stereotype connoted by Kansai dialect, and Osaka in particular, also has an element of fast-talking aggressive wheeler-dealer to it - so if the dub agency wants to play up that citified aspect, they'll go with a Noo Yawk or Cockney accent instead of a drawl.

If 80s Texan oil execs had had a more distinctive accent than "cowboy" it might have worked perfectly.

I think I've even seen it dubbed as vaguely yiddish once which sounds random but there's kind of a connection there (Osaka accents used to be stereotyped as more villainous, but then there was a wave of Osaka stand ups so it became more associated with comedy and then of course on this side you have the borscht belt)

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Len posted:

If only there was some sort of way to translate something where tone could come through and be understood, maybe by casting people and having them speak a local language that the person playing or watching can understand?

:mods:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Len posted:

Maybe they were going for caricature of a 1920s gangster?

Give them the translated lines, but one sentence at a time in alphabetical order

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

majima screaming the c-word ("cobber") as he smashes some thug's face into the ground

Beat me to it

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

ilmucche posted:

Give them the translated lines, but one sentence at a time in alphabetical order

:hmmyes: tried and true industry standard methods

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

goblin week posted:

Sounds great

how do you do that in a subtitle only localization

Dubs not subs

My add addled broke brain works better with dubs anyway

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Len posted:

Dubs not subs

My add addled broke brain works better with dubs anyway

I mean, that’s nice and all, but you’re offering a solution that straight up doesn’t exist on multiple levels since Yakuza 0-6 are subtitle only (and god how much I wish I could turn on a dub for 4/5’s stories) and Yakuza LAD/Judgement don’t really have kansei accents besides a few vaguely Bronx antagonists in their dubs.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Last Celebration posted:

I mean, that’s nice and all, but you’re offering a solution that straight up doesn’t exist on multiple levels since Yakuza 0-6 are subtitle only (and god how much I wish I could turn on a dub for 4/5’s stories) and Yakuza LAD/Judgement don’t really have kansei accents besides a few vaguely Bronx antagonists in their dubs.

Yes I am aware. That post was a joke post that was intended to poke fun at that

Maybe the tone didn't carry through because text doesn't carry tone which is the whole point of this derail

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
You could always do eye dialect in the subtitles.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Not my gif, but I love silly physics engines.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Len posted:

Maybe the tone didn't carry through because text doesn't carry tone which is the whole point of this derail

it's because you did the annoying "if only there was a [scenario]" sarcasm thing

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Aussie accents always add gravitas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QceWEIpbFp8

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Not my gif, but I love silly physics engines.

The golden years when havok was in everything :allears:

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I have incredibly fond memories of early havok/ragdoll physic engines.

Playing games like Psyops and throwing people around all day, Unreal Tournament and the many pits you could throw yourself down, the entirety of Max Payne 2, all in the name of making a character flop around something silly.

I even permanently saved the X-play episode devoted to ragdoll physics on our very first TiVo.

It does sadden me though. Even though more games have similar physics in them the magic is basically all gone for me.

The last games I had fun with were the opening days of GTA 4 and the euphoria engine, but that one has a bunch issues that dragged the whole thing down. (A big part of it is the constant stumbling it cause characters to do, it’s so stupid.)

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Dont know if it was havok but in gta5 for ps4 (i think) if you pressed square after jumping your character would ragdoll for some reason, and I literally spent hours throwing trevor down stairs or into traffic.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Barotrauma has spacebar bound to a 'go ragdoll limp' maneuver and I'm still amused hours in about re-entering my submarine via diving down the outpost exit shaft like a crash test dummy. It lets my doctor npcs build skillpoints healing me too!

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

moosecow333 posted:

Playing games like Psyops and throwing people around all day, Unreal Tournament and the many pits you could throw yourself down, the entirety of Max Payne 2, all in the name of making a character flop around something silly.

I even permanently saved the X-play episode devoted to ragdoll physics on our very first TiVo.

It does sadden me though. Even though more games have similar physics in them the magic is basically all gone for me.

The last games I had fun with were the opening days of GTA 4 and the euphoria engine, but that one has a bunch issues that dragged the whole thing down. (A big part of it is the constant stumbling it cause characters to do, it’s so stupid.)

Yeah it was in that sweet spot when basic ragdolls were impressive enough to put in even though they were janky and funny. Nowadays they only put fun ragdoll physics into games that are intentionally zany.

Games really slowed down as they got more expensive and complicated to make. The last decade is all about remakes and microtransactions.

Indie games are still good but drat polluted too.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Biplane posted:

Dont know if it was havok but in gta5 for ps4 (i think) if you pressed square after jumping your character would ragdoll for some reason, and I literally spent hours throwing trevor down stairs or into traffic.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Those people sound like Star Citizens.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Max Payne 3's version of euphoria is so awesome, the poor guy lands either upright on his stomach or flat on his back like some kind of inebriated cat no matter how you trip him over. You can pop enemies basically anywhere and they'll stumble around which is super useful when you're fighting UFE troops with massively protected body gear. One shot anywhere will throw off their aim really realistically.

RDR2 has some of the most convincing ragdolls I've seen in a game and some of the most goofy completely fake stage prop falls. It's really feast or famine in terms of whether you get realism or comedy with euphoria's ragdolls, always has been, but when it falls on realism man is it some of the best in the business.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Goddamn was it ever fun in Max Payne 2 to rearrange furniture with gunshots, try to shoot some cans into a bin or see if you could clear everything off a table by shootdodging over it

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

What's the engine Mafia 3 uses? That one was great with how enemies react to being shot, slumping down and slamming into doors and all that. Proper action movie vibes.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Goddamn was it ever fun in Max Payne 2 to rearrange furniture with gunshots, try to shoot some cans into a bin or see if you could clear everything off a table by shootdodging over it

The very first "set piece" in 2 is just some Cleaner set up in front of a utility shelf so that when you kill him he gloriously flies back into the shelf, collapsing a few boards and sending the knick-knacks on them flying.

God I was blown away back in the day

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Minority Report

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

You've all forgotten the faces of your fathers

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

moosecow333 posted:

Destruction and Physics ate what make combat in Control so satisfying, watching the environments just getting wrecked.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Phy posted:

IIRC the stereotype connoted by Kansai dialect, and Osaka in particular, also has an element of fast-talking aggressive wheeler-dealer to it - so if the dub agency wants to play up that citified aspect, they'll go with a Noo Yawk or Cockney accent instead of a drawl.
Dropped G's and "y'all" tend to be the go-to when localizing the Kansai accent, but it's not very accurate--there are country bumpkin accents in Japanese, too, and Kansai absolutely isn't one of them. It's my "native"/default brand of Japanese, and most of the time when it shows up in translations, I don't portray it any differently than standard Japanese.

In my most recent show translation, though, I came across a plural "you" that was specifically in Kansai dialect, and I went to the old standby "y'all' for a moment before I changed it to "youse." This is much closer to what the dialect is trying to convey in the original.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Agents are GO! posted:

Destruction and Physics ate what make combat in Control so satisfying, watching the environments just getting wrecked.

Along with the frame rate :v:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

John Murdoch posted:

Minority Report

I'M NOT A MURDERER I WOULDN'T KILL ANYONE dropkicks a cop out a highrise window

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The Arkham Knight jump scare where they introduce Man-Bat still got me, even though I spoiled it a while before getting a computer capable of running it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dr Christmas posted:

The Arkham Knight jump scare where they introduce Man-Bat still got me, even though I spoiled it a while before getting a computer capable of running it.

In case you're playing it blind don't spoil this one, but otherwise: the follow-up a completely random amount of time later where it's just the Joker this time and he laughs his rear end off at you for getting scared the first time is one of my favorite payoffs to a jumpscare.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 01:22 on Jan 7, 2023

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Midnight Suns is a good game and it has a little messaging system for the heroes to use.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

That was on purpose

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

This was my introduction to something awful.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Phy posted:

If 80s Texan oil execs had had a more distinctive accent than "cowboy" it might have worked perfectly.

And now I'm thinking Majima would work perfectly as a London Gangster.

Although famously he was voiced by Mark Hamill in the dubbed version of the first game, which hasn't helped the Joker comparisons. Speaking of, to spoil a bit of Majima's arc: His whole crazy deal is an act, if one he clearly enjoys that lets him speak and act as he wants. Trying to be professional got him treated as an expendable errand boy and constantly underestimated while seeing some of the biggest crazy-rear end badasses scare the poo poo out of people. Being a goggle-eyed violent lunatic means his men respect and obey him out of fear and admiration, while his bosses are too afraid to gently caress with him and so don't bother him unless it's something serious.

Accent stuff is infamously difficult for translations, not helped by some childish dubs just giving characters essentially completely random stereotypical bad accents. Though comes to mind that Goku (infamously voiced by the same lady who voiced him as a child in Dragon Ball throughout Z and Super) is meant to have an accent and mannerisms of backwoods deeply rural mountain folk, and Chi-Chi is the same. So probably the closest English equivalent would be full blown Appalachian.

And I'm suddenly reminded of something funny: Sunny Villa in the Spyro Reignited Trilogy is the first time I think I've ever seen a fantasy Rome-equivalent where the Romans actually have Italian accents.

Ghost Leviathan has a new favorite as of 17:52 on Jan 7, 2023

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

CJacobs posted:

Max Payne 3's version of euphoria is so awesome, the poor guy lands either upright on his stomach or flat on his back like some kind of inebriated cat no matter how you trip him over. You can pop enemies basically anywhere and they'll stumble around which is super useful when you're fighting UFE troops with massively protected body gear. One shot anywhere will throw off their aim really realistically.

RDR2 has some of the most convincing ragdolls I've seen in a game and some of the most goofy completely fake stage prop falls. It's really feast or famine in terms of whether you get realism or comedy with euphoria's ragdolls, always has been, but when it falls on realism man is it some of the best in the business.
Probably the last game it will ever feature in, as the tech got shuttered by Zynga years ago.
It's unlikely anyone else will bother doing the R&D necessary to achieve the same for years, it needs someone at somewhere like Unity or Unreal to think achieveing something to the same level is worth the time investment.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Agents are GO! posted:

Along those lines, Red Faction Guerrilla remains an under appreciated Gen for all the stupid poo poo you could get up to destroying buildings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Agents are GO! posted:

They made concrete break apart so beautifully. I love playing Control.