Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
blackbeard drinks a lot of milk and loses his teeth very often thats all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Brandfarlig posted:

Not really, but there are some panels where BBs missing teeth change places IIRC.

Isn't it established that just drinking milk regrows teeth in the one piece world? That just means he's lost and regrown teeth off panel

Edit: should have gone to the next page

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

blackbeard ate the blood blood fruit and can make his blood green blood

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

JahRoo posted:

I feel like I read somewhere that those were corrected but people have used that to argue that he actually has triplet brothers he hides in the darkness and you can tell based on jewelry and teeth.

I was so down with the triplet theory for so long but the teeth just dont match up. 3-missing, 4-missing and Allteeth have the same personality, its not like hes always arrogant with one set of teeth, always cowardly with another, or anything. Theres no specific teeth pattern when hes using different fruit powers either. Blackbeard must drink a lot of milk.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
You all laugh but when he shows up next and says cherry pie is disgusting you’ll know the theories are right

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I just always read it as Luffy and Blackbeard disagreeing about that pub's pies. I find it hard to believe that Luffy hates all cherry pie. I hate most cherry pie, and even I will admit that there are good cherry pies.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Its a framing device to show how theyre similar but irreconcilably different.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Meme Emulator posted:

I was so down with the triplet theory for so long but the teeth just dont match up. 3-missing, 4-missing and Allteeth have the same personality, its not like hes always arrogant with one set of teeth, always cowardly with another, or anything. Theres no specific teeth pattern when hes using different fruit powers either. Blackbeard must drink a lot of milk.

It's a fun theory and I have zero interest in going back through all of the chapters to check for inconsistencies so I'll just enjoy the slightest possibility that it's correct.

At least with the different powers you could argue that it maybe functions similar to the swamp power and he's like, bringing just the brother's hand or something out of the darkness, while the rest of the body remains in storage. I'm imagining something along the lines of Tobi from Naruto where he uses his teleportation power to teleport the exact part of his body that's being attacked into the Kamui dimension to feign intangibility. He does show both powers simultaneously in Marineford right after killing Whitebeard, so you need some way to explain that.

I think the most likely explanation is like, he ate a special fruit that allows more powers or he's got a special body or blood or something. I feel like whatever his relation to Rocks is will end up being somehow related to the devil fruit thing but your guess is as good as mine.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
As Brook demonstrates, you don't even need blood to have a Devil Fruit.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

This is Lassoo erasure

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Marco straight up tells everyone that Blackbeards body has something weird going on with it that lets him use multiple fruits and thats something he had before he ate the darkness fruit to hide his secret brothers no one ever knew about

gently caress I hate the triplet theory so much

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
Where’s my goddamn chap

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I got the tude now posted:

Where’s my goddamn chap
19th January is the next official release date after today :(

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Cat Machine posted:

19th January is the next official release date after today :(

cmac, you know I got love for you so I’m sorry if t he flame comes out during this trying time.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

HerraS posted:

Marco straight up tells everyone that Blackbeards body has something weird going on with it that lets him use multiple fruits and thats something he had before he ate the darkness fruit to hide his secret brothers no one ever knew about

It’s simple, just having weird body as an explanation is boring so I ignore it.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

The three brothers just stood on each others' shoulders during Marco's routine crewmate medical checkup and he was like "wow, what a hosed up body this guy has."

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I got the tude now posted:

cmac, you know I got love for you so I’m sorry if t he flame comes out during this trying time.
we survived 40 days and 40 nights without a new chapter last year, we can get through this

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

The Blackbeard siblings aren't brothers, Blackbeard had two sisters

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

HerraS posted:

The theory is his twin or whatever hid in more conventional ways before then. He apparently never sleeps, so half the time one of them was hiding in a box or something sleeping while the other one was out being Teach. One reason he was avoiding prominence is he couldn't hide his secret if there was more scrutiny on him. The "weird body" could be the fact that it changed in certain ways and Marco was obliquely commenting on the fact that he clearly examined two different people at different times or whatever.

It's not a 100% convincing theory to me, but it's not the worst one either.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Cat Machine posted:

we survived 40 days and 40 nights without a new chapter last year, we can get through this

We did?

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Cat Machine posted:

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Does triplet theory why Blackbeards would go through the trouble of an intricate decades long con for no apparent benefit besides the appearance of multiple fruits? The mystique isn't worth that much.

Siliziumleben
Dec 4, 2003

The scientists' findings were astounding! They discovered that the powers of the Metroid might be harnessed for the good of civilization!
Remember when in chapter 1063, Law gets turned into a woman by Doc Q's Devil Fruit power?

I just realized that there is a good chance this will happen to Sanji.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Chapter is officially out btw https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1015243

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Hpable

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
lucci salty

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I like the idea of Blackbeard just being a weird dude who doesn't sleep, and him just laying low until getting his hands on the right devil fruit is perfectly suited to his character - he's a coward who wants an easy route to power. It ties into him being the foil to Luffy - Luffy's all about the journey, Teach is all about the destination. He's an interesting character and I feel like him doing all that is just him covering up for some twins undercuts those fun, unique aspects to his personality in order to have a kind of lazy gotcha twist.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Gentle reminder that we just experienced a switcheroo twist with Luffy’s fruit.

In my headcanon Teach is the main body/personality and is being suppressed by the “Blackbeard” personality, so Teach is a prisoner in his own body, tying it back to the freedom theme.

Also Teach is a D but Blackbeard isn’t.

I fully expect to be completely wrong and I’m sure Oda has something better planned.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Why is Kaku suddenly so eager to do Lucci's bidding?

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Dude has been waiting this whole trip to show off the almighty destructive power of the giraffe

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Inadequately posted:

Dude has been waiting this whole trip to show off the almighty destructive power of the giraffe

With an act of direct aggression towards a Yonko when he was so against it just a couple chapters ago?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Delphisage posted:

Why is Kaku suddenly so eager to do Lucci's bidding?
Luffy's boat isn't a yonko

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Delphisage posted:

With an act of direct aggression towards a Yonko when he was so against it just a couple chapters ago?

Lucci already did it so might as well go all in.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Very excited to see Awakened Pasta Machine

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

The only thing Kaku loves more than giraffes is smashing the poo poo out of Luffy's boats.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

CodfishCartographer posted:

I like the idea of Blackbeard just being a weird dude who doesn't sleep, and him just laying low until getting his hands on the right devil fruit is perfectly suited to his character - he's a coward who wants an easy route to power. It ties into him being the foil to Luffy - Luffy's all about the journey, Teach is all about the destination. He's an interesting character and I feel like him doing all that is just him covering up for some twins undercuts those fun, unique aspects to his personality in order to have a kind of lazy gotcha twist.
I think it's a real lack of imagination to think the only reason he could be covering for a twin is for the purpose of a "lazy gotcha twist". From the earliest time we've seen Blackbeard he's had a particular ambition and a particular way of pursuing it. He's been after the Darkness fruit since before the earliest moment we've seen him. There's gotta be a reason for that. "It just suits me" would be a much less interesting development than him having some sort of specific plan we don't know about yet, possibly related to something the Rocks Pirates.

It doesn't have to be twins, but "he's just a weird dude" is not at all satisfying or in line with how Oda sets things up. There definitely is more to explore in Blackbeard's background that will give context to those quirks, and that's really exciting. If it's twin shenanigans, I'm sure it won't just be twin shenanigans. There's a ton of room for a compelling, bizarre backstory for Blackbeard. Of all the characters in this manga, I'm sure Oda's got a good story for this guy.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

HerraS posted:

It's simple. What is the one body part that always comes up when people ask Oda about Devil Fruits?

That's right, Blackbeard has three dicks.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget, is there a chapter this week?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Larryb posted:

I forget, is there a chapter this week?

We got the scans a week early because they leaked early.