Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Electric Phantasm posted:

"I guess you could say I'm your bae blade now ha ha"

:perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

https://twitter.com/radosity/status/1612709256431603713?s=46&t=5ZmUHos-fB5a_ywBJM4OdA

lol

Honestly either interpretation is believable

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

I entirely believe that Denji would try to eat a starfish without knowing whether they were edible or not.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

"He's so cute I wanna keep him!" :3: And just like that one of Denji's worst dates became one of his better dates! Got a little awkward at the end there though.

I feel like whatever happens next will be whichever is funnier A) it doesn't work and Asa has to uncomfortably come up with an explanation for what Yoru just said B) it totally works, but Denji is fine and heals quickly and while he feels mildly annoyed about having part of his body turned into a weapon he still wants to go on that second date

Yoshida and Fami have something unspoken and cryptic going on, look at those two off exchanging meaningful glances in the background. I'm sure that's fine and won't be revisited later.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Elite posted:

I like how explicit it is that you don’t need to own something to weaponise it, you just need to *feel* like you own it.

So a cat would be the most flexible (automatic sense of ownership over everything) but also weakest (pathologically incapable of feeling guilt) contractor for the war devil.

Power would be able to make anything into a weapon thanks to her sense of entitlement, but her inability to feel guilt or shame means she can only create tiny plastic knives she insists are swords with the strength of infinity plus one.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Something interesting about this chapter that I haven't seen brought up yet?

This is the first time anyone but Asa has had internal monologue privileges in part 2. And it's Denji.

Nothing major in the way of reveals or anything. Just interesting.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Latest chapter: I’m fully expecting denji’s spinal cord to get ripped out, but he transforms instinctually into Chainsaw Man and survives. This then results in Asa having infinite Denji Swords powered by her feelings of Denji, though knowing Fujimoto this is gonna be way messier and/or dumber than I Think

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Looking forward to new designs of old devils like how there were many designs of the 9 main titans in AOT

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
It’s entirely possible that the third option happens and it just works.

Then Denji ends up in hell and can find the Blood Devil

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
When Asa used her power on the Aquarium it separated the Aquarium and the Eternity devil. I wonder if there's a chance this move separates Denji and the Chainsaw devil.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

https://twitter.com/_osulan/status/1612850406824054787?s=20&t=5xq6PVz4wHnWCBGZd8BRyA

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Apocron posted:

When Asa used her power on the Aquarium it separated the Aquarium and the Eternity devil. I wonder if there's a chance this move separates Denji and the Chainsaw devil.

Eternity just hid somewhere in the space he was influencing both times, all he had happen in the aquarium was his hiding spot got ripped out from under him.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I"m very tensed/excited for the next chapter. I mean Fuji ain't afraid of axing characters. Not that I think Denji will bite it.. (hopefully) but yeah either it does happen and Denji's a living chainsword or it doesnt.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Pretty good joke in the Japanese from a few weeks ago

They’re both saying Die! To each other but Denji is semi illiterate so it’s written in hiragana and not kanji

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Yoshida and Fami have something unspoken and cryptic going on, look at those two off exchanging meaningful glances in the background. I'm sure that's fine and won't be revisited later.
he's almost certainly onto her whole deal already but probably isn't going to do anything unless she's directly in the road of his own agenda.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

can I ask who the tattooer is? I'm interested in what their work looks like

Yeah! She’s pretty cool. https://instagram.com/xxsashafontainexx?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

https://www.westsidetattoo.net/sashafontaine?fbclid=PAAaZsy5SyNHFwALH7WnRGuibNFsrqW98n_4sHf_CeblBVCNTcBEylMHjwPuk

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Last two pages had me going from, "oh no do I ship this now?" to just "oh no"

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

PringleCreamEgg posted:

It’s entirely possible that the third option happens and it just works.

Then Denji ends up in hell and can find the Blood Devil

Denji can survive without his spinal cord. Just not his heart.

Similarly, I think the fact that Yoru is calling specifically for a Denji's Spinal Cord Sword instead of just a "Denji Sword" means that he'll be headless and immobile for a bit until someone comes and fixes him up

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Yoru's intelligence level makes sense for her power. So as long as she believes in the idea of ownership, the power to convert something into a weapon works. It probably makes sense for Asa since 1 million yen is a lot to her that as a high school student, so her power has the widest range of power if she does not actuall know the monetary value of things or has a more naive sense of ownership. So she would be overpowered in a communist society.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Flair posted:

Yoru's intelligence level makes sense for her power. So as long as she believes in the idea of ownership, the power to convert something into a weapon works. It probably makes sense for Asa since 1 million yen is a lot to her that as a high school student, so her power has the widest range of power if she does not actuall know the monetary value of things or has a more naive sense of ownership. So she would be overpowered in a communist society.

Private property is distinctly a different thing than personal property

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

OnimaruXLR posted:

Reminder that the finale of part 1 is Denji literally walking around without his heart.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

im wondering if the club presidents reaction to seeing yoru spear the devil means anything. my wild speculation is that he suspects asa of killing the teacher and class president at the beginning

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

lih posted:

he's almost certainly onto her whole deal already but probably isn't going to do anything unless she's directly in the road of his own agenda.

Yoshida immediately clocked Asa suddenly gaining scars when Yoru took over her body, then proceeded to walk away and say and do nothing about this obviously supernatural occurrence. Later, he was perfectly fine setting Denji up with a girl he knew was probably possessed because it was the most convenient way to get Denji to stop being Chainsaw man.

All signs currently point to Yoshida being extremely aware of the antics of the Devils around him, but he's not going to do anything to stop them or interfere with them or even warn the other humans around him about them unless doing so is specifically part of whatever job he happens to be doing at the time.

Is he a dick, or just extremely professional? You decide!

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Stairmaster posted:

Private property is distinctly a different thing than personal property

Asa gained ownership of an aquarium using hard cash stuffed in a bag. I don't think her perspective has a distinction between private property and personal property; if she vibes with personal relations or naive capitalist transactions, she is vibing.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Mulva posted:

Reminder that the finale of part 1 is Denji literally walking around without his heart.

Yeah we don't know what exactly kills hybrids but my assumption is that basically only nullifying the contract with the devil they have does it.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Like at this point Denji is aware enough of his powers that losing his spine might not even slow him down. Beginning of the story Denji died to getting shot in the head or getting his neck snapped, end of the story Denji is like "Yeah I realized I could just let Pochita go do his own thing and be totally cool.". The wait for the next issue is going to be wild because anything could happen.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
I hope that it works and it can provide infinite swords and also that Denji doesn't die. With this combination of events, he'll be totally fine, but he'll also spend so much time complaining about it that Asa will no longer feel bad, so the weapons will be useless.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Eimi posted:

Yeah we don't know what exactly kills hybrids but my assumption is that basically only nullifying the contract with the devil they have does it.

I have to imagine the only thing that would kill a hybrid is removing / destroying the heart, considering how many people/devils wanted Denji's. Though that fad seems to have died down so who knows.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

I have to imagine the only thing that would kill a hybrid is removing / destroying the heart, considering how many people/devils wanted Denji's. Though that fad seems to have died down so who knows.

His heart's been ripped out often enough that it's confirmed as not being an effective kill, either. We've also seen Quanxi and Reze be restored from conditions where their hearts should have been gone.

Kishibe said Denji was full stop immortal early in the manga. Until we get a reason to question that, I'm going to assume it's still in play.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I am gonna go with the normie consequence of it just not working on Denji at all and Yoru looking very foolish and stupid but also everyone involved not realizing why it isnt working \ what is going on

Give me Yoru trying to turn Denji into a weapon every chapter to no avail

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Idk if this was pointed out but Makima’s power and Yoru’s power both operate on emotional logic. If Makima think she’s better than someone, she can control them. If Yoru thinks she owns something, she can use it.

I feel like it’s so rare in this genre to have rules for powers based like that. It’s really cool. I’ve always appreciated that Fujimoto sees the devils powers as a vessel for story and character instead of cool fights.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
There's a lot to enjoy about this chapter, but I keep coming back around to how mad the Eternity Devil is that Asa thinks you can buy an aquarium for a million yen. It's so good.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Crazy speculation that’s either an insanely cool hint that most obviously would miss, or a wild coincidence. Or literally incorrect, which is always possible.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Idk if this was pointed out but Makima’s power and Yoru’s power both operate on emotional logic. If Makima think she’s better than someone, she can control them. If Yoru thinks she owns something, she can use it.

I feel like it’s so rare in this genre to have rules for powers based like that. It’s really cool. I’ve always appreciated that Fujimoto sees the devils powers as a vessel for story and character instead of cool fights.

I wonder if Fami has some sort of emotional component to her powers as well, we still don't totally know what she does but it might have a "Can only _______ if she feels _______ about it" aspect.

Crazy speculation that’s either an insanely cool hint that most obviously would miss, or a wild coincidence. Or literally incorrect, which is always possible.

Having the fourth Horseman be a guy after having the first three be girls would be a good way to throw the audience off. Maybe it's just me, but I've just been expecting all the Horseman to be female, in my head they're all Makima's "sisters" so a surprise "brother" would be a cool potential twist.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

doesn't Yoshida ask Denji if he could eat the Death Devil while inside the aquarium?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Might be a bit of a stretch - this is suggesting he's saying "しーぬ" (shiinu) which technically means "to die", however it's drawing out the middle "i" sound with that waving finger motion in a way that's not necessary. "しぬ" (shinu) means "to die" so he could just be drawing it out in a playful way as a taunt? The bigger question to me is how literally it's delivered. If he was telling Denji to die (even subtly) I would instead expect "しーね" (shiine) which is more of a "go die" and also an equivalent to "gently caress you" - it's literally requesting someone to die. Just stating the verb "to die" doesn't really imply he's commanding or requesting Denji to die or anything. The hand gesture for ね in Japanese sign language appears to be an open hand facing downwards, so I'd think it'd be easy enough to incorporate? Though maybe the finger curled up makes for a more interesting artistic choice.

(granted I'm not fluent so I might be wrong, if someone knows more than me feel free to correct me)

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jan 11, 2023

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

OnimaruXLR posted:

Similarly, I think the fact that Yoru is calling specifically for a Denji's Spinal Cord Sword instead of just a "Denji Sword" means that he'll be headless and immobile for a bit until someone comes and fixes him up

yoshida comes along five minutes later and pulls the ripcord and gives denji some blood. he shows up to school Monday looking perfectly fine and not even particularly annoyed, tomie-style, and asa gets to spend a bunch of time freaking out

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

It feels like really cool foreshadowing and I’d more expect him to have a contract than anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I’m pretty sure that the death devil appearing in the flesh would be some kind of dramatic apocalyptic event. Every devil would flee the region instinctively, and the death toll would probably make the gun devil’s massacre look tame.