Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

grate deceiver posted:

What's the goon opinion on Zvezda? They have a lot of kits I'd be very interested in - big soviet trucks, chonky ugly planes, strange experimental machines, and this big boy.
Zvezda purchases suspended indefinitely, I'm not gonna support my enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

therunningman posted:

While I'm waiting for some paints to arrive to continue the Cougar I decided to break into a new kit, a Panzer IV by Academy.
The parts were fitting comparatively terrible so I checked it out on scalemates and it seems to originate way back in 1968 from a company called "Nichimo" and has then been passed around to quite literally *everyone*. The list is a billion miles long and wide.

Does this mean it is effectively a 55 year old kit or would it have been revised in the intervening years? I thoroughly enjoyed building the Trumpeter Cougar but this Panzer IV sucks. The instructions are so muddy I put some parts in the wrong way too.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/academy-1328-panzerkampfwagen-iv-ausf-h-j--107559

While the timeline is all over the place it's rather easy to read and it doesn't branch much: This is a new tooling from Academy from 1984. You can see this by following the thick line from the kit in the timeline back to the left until you come across "New tool".

Scalemates has this thing where multiple different toolings will show up in the same timeline if another mold of the same topic was released by the same company, and that includes the entire history of that specific mold.

grate deceiver posted:

What's the goon opinion on Zvezda? They have a lot of kits I'd be very interested in - big soviet trucks, chonky ugly planes, strange experimental machines, and this big boy.

I've built some modern Zvezda in the past and have some in the stash, they're pretty decent kits. Sometimes Revell will borrow their molds to release under their own brand. Their instructions aren't always fully detailed though, the UAZ-3909 I built recently didn't include any painting instructions for the interior. Paint references are for their own line but conversion's easy and they usually include Tamiya or Humbrol equivalents as well.

Smoke fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 13, 2023

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Pierzak posted:

Zvezda purchases suspended indefinitely, I'm not gonna support my enemies.

There's some dope MiniArt trams and tractors that I'm also very much into, reviews seem pretty positive.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
The Star Destroyer I did earlier in the thread originated as a Zvezda kit, and it went together great.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

grate deceiver posted:

There's some dope MiniArt trams and tractors that I'm also very much into, reviews seem pretty positive.

ICM have also made some pretty nice kits in the past little while. Surprisingly good figures, too - they can't hold a candle to the boutique small-batch resin makers, but for injection plastics that aren't mini games pieces, they're pretty dang good.

Dora Wings and Clear Prop! also have good reputations, but the things they've made are either unavailable to me or not what I'm interested in, sadly.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
icm's po-2 was incredibly frustrating to build as the support struts were made out of gossamer

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

grate deceiver posted:

I have a MiniArt Daimler Dingo I should work on.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

icm's po-2 was incredibly frustrating to build as the support struts were made out of gossamer

That's deeply unfortunate. The I-15 had some pretty sturdy cross-bracing, or at least as much as you can get on a 1/72 biplane.

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

grassy gnoll posted:

ICM have also made some pretty nice kits in the past little while. Surprisingly good figures, too - they can't hold a candle to the boutique small-batch resin makers, but for injection plastics that aren't mini games pieces, they're pretty dang good.

Dora Wings and Clear Prop! also have good reputations, but the things they've made are either unavailable to me or not what I'm interested in, sadly.

Ukraine seems to be fast approaching overtaking Czech as the centre of the european model kit industry.

Off the top of my head I can think of:
A&A
Amodel
Art Model
Clear Prop
Dora Wings
ICM
Masterbox
Miniart
Modelsvit
Roden
Wingsy

There's also Decograph and Print Scale decals based there I think.

By comparison the UK has...Airfix...and that's pretty much it? And I can't think of any mainstream kit manufacturer based in the US anymore (not counting 50 year old Revell muscle car kits).

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

grate deceiver posted:

I've got a couple of their 1/144 scale planes; a Po-2 and an IL-2. There's literally no cockpit detail, but the plane looks like what it's supposed to when assembled. The fit on the Po-2 was generally good, but I fumbled the wing struts a little, which is more on me than the kit.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

tidal wave emulator posted:

Ukraine seems to be fast approaching overtaking Czech as the centre of the european model kit industry.

Off the top of my head I can think of:
A&A
Amodel
Art Model
Clear Prop
Dora Wings
ICM
Masterbox
Miniart
Modelsvit
Roden
Wingsy

There's also Decograph and Print Scale decals based there I think.

By comparison the UK has...Airfix...and that's pretty much it? And I can't think of any mainstream kit manufacturer based in the US anymore (not counting 50 year old Revell muscle car kits).

There are also a lot of good Etsy shops that do warhammer Proxies out of Ukraine. I got my General Grevious Necron Lord from them!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

grassy gnoll posted:

ICM has a new Stugna-P complex which looks pretty cool

There's photos of the kit itself, but they look like resin 3d printed prototypes and not production

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 14, 2023

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.

quote:

While the timeline is all over the place it's rather easy to read and it doesn't branch much: This is a new tooling from Academy from 1984. You can see this by following the thick line from the kit in the timeline back to the left until you come across "New tool".

Scalemates has this thing where multiple different toolings will show up in the same timeline if another mold of the same topic was released by the same company, and that includes the entire history of that specific mold.

Ok that's interesting so while the kit may be the same design there are new moulds made on occasion.

Been doing some more assembly and most parts fit a little bit better than the initial ones.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva

therunningman posted:

Ok that's interesting so while the kit may be the same design there are new moulds made on occasion.

Been doing some more assembly and most parts fit a little bit better than the initial ones.

Well, the topic's the same, the parts layout usually differs between toolings. Another fun example of how Scalemates does timelines can be seen here:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-03651-mcdonnell-f-4e-phantom-ii--1182735

Monogram has done 2 toolings of the F-4 Phantom II in the 80s close to eachother (one snap-tite F-4E, one regular F-4J), both were released by Revell at some point. Then there's a 1997 entirely new mold from Revell as well but that's an F-4F. Since they're all in the same topic they all merge together though, which makes for some great fun times decoding in the store to ensure you get the good mold, not the bad one, and you read the right reviews of earlier boxings if there's none of the one you want as the Similar Reviews page on Scalemates is also based on that timeline.

Which means that this page:
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-03941-f-4j-phantom-ii--1013761
Will show different reviews from this page:
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-04875-f-4f-phantom-pharewell--206443

On the other hand, used to be that the reviews page included everything on the same topic in that scale so there's improvements at least.

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

Lavinia Spenlow posted:

On the other hand, used to be that the reviews page included everything on the same topic in that scale so there's improvements at least.

I believe that the externally linked galleries are still not differentiated by particular boxings/toolings so you get taken off to arcair and don't realise it's actually images of a totally different kit. I think that the native scalemates galleries are kit-specific though.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

grate deceiver posted:

The MiniArt D7 tractor was the most frustratingly overly complicated build I've ever done, and a couple goons agreed with that assessment when I posted about it. I can't actually criticize the quality of the kit, but it was.... A lot. Consider how badly you want to build like 90 3-part track links.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't know if this series even rings a bell for anyone itt, or how relevant it is (can't think of anywhere else on the forums it would be relevant though), but I found something kind of neat cleaning out my closet yesterday. If anyone remembers Ma.K or Maschinen Krueger, they did these blind box toys of the 1/35th kits in probably 2005 and I picked some up. They've been in my closet for probably the last 12 years. Kind of crazy good paint jobs for $5 blind box toys and upon closer inspection I think they are mostly hand painted. I can see the remnants of brush strokes on some of them. I cannot for the life of me find any footprints online of these blind box toys even existing anymore. Just the model kit versions at the same scale (which are expensive as hell now holy poo poo)

I dunno I just thought it was neat. Wish I had bought more Ma.K back in the day it was a super cool series. I never bought any of the models because even in the early 00s they were like $100 for a 3 inch model or 40 bux for the little one inch tall guys. It's kind of crazy they ever bothered to make something as elaborate as these and only charge a few dollars for them at one point. Unfortunately over the year the paint jobs got a bit hosed up from being on display near a kitchen.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Those are neat!

Maschinen Krieger is a line I'm often peeking at on the side since I like mecha design that's more realistic/industrial but I haven't picked one up as of yet since yeah a lot of the kits are rather expensive. Though it also depends on your point of view I guess. Like you can get several of the mech suits in the range from 30-50 bucks and that may or may not be too much for you. However the price absolutely rockets upward when it comes to the vehicles and anything that's old or has small print runs.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah the ones I looked at in the $30-50 range are the same scale as the blind box toys I posted. Very cool but super tiny. The ones I was eyeballing back in 05 or so are more like $150-$200 now. Even back then they were like $75. I always really liked KroteVVVV. I might just bite the bullet one of these days but I need to up my painting skills before spending that kind of money lol. I'd love to have a little Ma. K shelf. Just super neat designs.

They also made 1/6 scale suit that was super cool that opened up and had a fully articulated pilot, but cost a fortune and seems impossible to find now.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva

I believe that the externally linked galleries are still not differentiated by particular boxings/toolings so you get taken off to arcair and don't realise it's actually images of a totally different kit. I think that the native scalemates galleries are kit-specific though.

External galleries actually rely on a search term specifying the topic, kit manufacturer and scale so any time a manufacturer has done the same subject in the same scale but with different molds you need to be careful checking the results. I kinda wonder if it's by design or if it was just the easiest way to implement this feature and make sure it shows all the toolings of a kit.

https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?fkSECTION%5B%5D=Gallery&q=%22McDonnell+Douglas+F-15+Eagle%22+Revell+1%3A144 for example shows both the 1988 F-15A tooling and the 2011 F-15E tooling.

Scalemates in general is a bit hacky in points and there's a bit of an issue with topics in general because people don't seem to be able to understand how to properly add kits.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Slugworth posted:

The MiniArt D7 tractor was the most frustratingly overly complicated build I've ever done, and a couple goons agreed with that assessment when I posted about it. I can't actually criticize the quality of the kit, but it was.... A lot. Consider how badly you want to build like 90 3-part track links.

D7 is dope, but yeah, I plan to avoid anything tracked, that does not look fun. This is more what I was thinking.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

You sure about the scale of the ones you looked at? I'm looking at 1/20 scale kits like the MK44 Ammo Knight for example in the price range I mentioned. Going by Youtube videos of build and paintjobs the main body (without legs) should roughly the size of a hand so not that tiny imo. It's pretty hard to find numbers for the full height of the kit though tbf.

veni veni veni posted:

They also made 1/6 scale suit that was super cool that opened up and had a fully articulated pilot, but cost a fortune and seems impossible to find now.
Are you thinking about the Melusine? If so then good luck!
E: Huh, Nitto actually made 4 kits in 1/6 scale so one of these should be what you mean: SF3D SAFS(1985), Ma.K SAFS(2000), Ma.K Fireball(2000), Ma.K Melusine(2003). Would assume all of them are expensive as heck.

This modern action figure release might be an alternative to it for the nostalgia. Though the Ebay price is crazy. Here in central Europe I'm seeing it for roughly half of that through various vendors.

Oh and for your sake I hope you want the small Kröte on the side of the pic. The collector page I keep an eye on has the big one listed as the "holy grail" of collectors for a cool 340 bucks estimated for sale by them :v:

E2: Oh hey that's a lot cheaper

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 14, 2023

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, no those are 1/35 I think. Yeah $30-50 for a 1/20 is really not bad at all. I should have looked at more listings.

The one 1/6 one I was thinking of was actually a figure and not a model kit now that I'm looking at it. $1300 no thanks. P cool toy though.

Also when the hell did Ma. K get so horny? Back when I was digging on it years ago it was all alt WW2 inspired stuff, and now if you look it up on Ebay half of the stuff is partially naked women lol. :japan: I guess.

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

Lavinia Spenlow posted:

Scalemates in general is a bit hacky in points and there's a bit of an issue with topics in general because people don't seem to be able to understand how to properly add kits.

Yeah for sure. Every few months I think I should try and finish off cataloguing my stash on Scalemates and do a handful of kits before I get fed up with the terrible stash management interface.

It's a shame cos it's an absolutely essential resource in all other respects. I wish the database could be accessed by external stash management apps.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Speaking of Zvezda models, I'm putting together the old ISU-152 kit, and it uses those 4 piece melt together tracks, which I have promptly ruined because there is no discernible difference between "not enough" and "the entire tracks melts and collapses in on itself at the rate of 4 links a second", so now I have 1 track and 1 almost track that won't stay together

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Lame. There should be lots of options out there for aftermarket replacement tracks. Especially since I'm pretty sure the ISU and IS series tanks shared a common track. The question will be whether or not any of them are worth the money to gussy up the old Zvezda kit.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Probably something to do with the wargaming industry being so closely tied to the modelling industry in the UK, but you can find absolutely fucktons of one-man-shops churning out extremely specific metal and resin "upgrade" kits for one subject that cover literally every manufacturer and range from two little nubs and a bit of wire to add a radio antenna to GoodKit (tm) and basically complete replacements for Airfix except for a part that makes you wonder why they didn't just make that part too and release their own kit. Then there are the ones who do just release their own kits. Accurate-armour and Milicast, respectively, are the ones I hear about most often.

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

Probably something to do with the wargaming industry being so closely tied to the modelling industry in the UK, but you can find absolutely fucktons of one-man-shops churning out extremely specific metal and resin "upgrade" kits for one subject that cover literally every manufacturer and range from two little nubs and a bit of wire to add a radio antenna to GoodKit (tm) and basically complete replacements for Airfix except for a part that makes you wonder why they didn't just make that part too and release their own kit. Then there are the ones who do just release their own kits. Accurate-armour and Milicast, respectively, are the ones I hear about most often.

Yeah there's a few one-man-bands for ship stuff too - Sovereign Hobbies for enamel paints, Atlantic Models for photoetch sets and resin ships (the chap who runs it designs all the photoetch for White Ensign & Tom's Modelworks) and Starling Models (resin ship kits).

There is actually a brand new 1/144 injected kitmaker that's started up, Beacon Models and they've just released a Spitfire/BF109 dogfight double. https://www.scalemates.com/kits/beacon-models-bmk0009-spitfire-mk1-vs-bf109e-x2--1352937

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I remember Beacon for their failed Kickstarter campaign a little while back. Any indication on where they got their funding for completing their kits?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

grassy gnoll posted:

I remember Beacon for their failed Kickstarter campaign a little while back. Any indication on where they got their funding for completing their kits?

Old school pre-orders. I've got mine in transit right now.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Yeah there's a few one-man-bands for ship stuff too - Sovereign Hobbies for enamel paints, Atlantic Models for photoetch sets and resin ships (the chap who runs it designs all the photoetch for White Ensign & Tom's Modelworks) and Starling Models (resin ship kits).

There is actually a brand new 1/144 injected kitmaker that's started up, Beacon Models and they've just released a Spitfire/BF109 dogfight double. https://www.scalemates.com/kits/beacon-models-bmk0009-spitfire-mk1-vs-bf109e-x2--1352937

When you look at more directly wargaming focused companies there's Armourfast and Plastic Soldier Company still doing well. IIRC Armourfast are just 1:72, but PSC do everything from 1:100 upto "28mm" which I think works out at 1:56 for their stuff.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

How are Armourfast as models? I'm always up for a new tiny tank, but the PSCs didn't do much for me.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The few kits I got were very low-detail and not that tiny TBH. Their M10/Achilles turrets are completely empty, without even a hint of a gun breach, which is rather obvious for the subject. Their Cromwells are okay, but Airfix's new kit blows them away, and their Shermans are so huge that I could fit the Airfix one inside the hull.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

There's also Rubicon Models who make WW2 kits in 1/56, which lets them pull double duty as miniatures for the ubiquitous 28mm wargaming scale. I can't tell where they're from though, seems like it's either the UK or US.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Oh dang, I was considering getting a 28mm BTR for Zona Alfa terrain purposes and Rubicon's one is both cheap and pretty.

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005
This isn't necessarily a model related question but I see organic vapor discussed a lot here. I've been doing some spray painting "art" (making race-track related wall art type thing) and I've been doing it indoors (large open basement) with the respirator I use for airbrushing. Just curious how long before I should replace the cartridges since this is significantly more organic vapor than what I airbrush. I don't smell vapor when painting but I had a pretty bad headache after my last session. Is this a bad idea even with the respirator?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

With spray paint I like to change cartridges every few days but I get them from work. If you can smell it, change them immediately. I’d look up the specific cartridge you’re using, also make sure you’re using the particulate filter.

But it seems like there isn’t a specific standard time to switch them out

https://www.protectivemasksdirect.co.uk/blog/how-long-do-3m-respirator-filters-last/

https://pksafety.com/blog/when-should-i-change-my-respirator-filter

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The wrapper generally says, often in painfully small text. It's typically X days from opening or Y hours of actual use, whichever comes first, before the activated charcoal has hoovered up all the nasty stuff it can. But it will continue to handle particulates (eg droplets) past that.

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005
Yea I was wondering whether y'all just wait until you start to smell breakthrough or follow a schedule of every number of months. I find it very difficult to gauge how much exposure the cartridges have actually gotten (should be almost nothing when I'm airbrushing, but sitting in a fume-filled basement must load them up pretty good), but the headache I got last time just made me question if anyone has another atypical ways to know when to replace them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Also make sure it’s fitting right, a little getting in around the sides can add up. Facial hair makes it tough to get a good seal.