Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

bird food bathtub posted:

How many of them did more than pay some fines? Not even ruin-your-life level fines that can happen to normal people, just fines.
Hastert did a year and change in prison. Granted he should've done a lot more but his molestation of athletes was discovered after the statute of limitations had expired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Murgos posted:

CNN and others are reporting that a Save America PAC aide copied many classified documents to a laptop and thumb drive while at Mar-a-lago.

“not realizing they were classified, sources said. The laptop, which belonged to an aide, who works for Save America PAC”

Classified documents are marked out the wazzoo so I don’t by that for a second.

MFers stole documents and digitized them and then did what? At whose direction? I also don’t buy for a second they just sat on this staffers laptop and no one else saw them.

Edit: Also lied about it when responding to the subpoena. It’s so damning that I’m wondering if Trumps lawyers handed this over out of a sense of self preservation because they expected it to be discovered.

Edit 2: Anyway, save America PAC or the staffer isn’t a government entity so this probably meets the threshold for espionage.

I could see it if they just grabbed literal stacks of papers and ran it through an auto document feeder to scan all the docs and make one giant pdf. And some 21 year old intern/staffer knows just enough to not say anything that could land them in hot water because they're just a staffer who doesn't anything about classified document handling.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

How many of them did more than pay some fines? Not even ruin-your-life level fines that can happen to normal people, just fines.

Being a convicted felon is a significant punishment

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Grip it and rip it posted:

Being a convicted felon is a significant punishment

He did a short amount of time in federal prison, which arguably matched what he pled guilty to. But it seems small in view of the larger scope of the crimes he did. And being a convicted felon is a significant punishment for people who apply to jobs who screen people with convictions, or rely on sorts of government welfare, etc. But is it a significant punishment for a guy who already makes around 100k from his pensions alone? His being a convicted felon won't ever block him from accessing anything he wants.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Of the five that I listed, four of them were sentenced to prison time, although one of them was pardoned before his sentence started.

Of those five, the longest sentence was Steve Stockman's ten-year prison sentence for money laundering, fraud, tax evasion, and making false statements to assorted federal agencies. He only served two years before Trump pardoned him, but it's not like that's the investigators' fault.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

V-Men posted:

He did a short amount of time in federal prison, which arguably matched what he pled guilty to. But it seems small in view of the larger scope of the crimes he did. And being a convicted felon is a significant punishment for people who apply to jobs who screen people with convictions, or rely on sorts of government welfare, etc. But is it a significant punishment for a guy who already makes around 100k from his pensions alone? His being a convicted felon won't ever block him from accessing anything he wants.

Just because someone is able to survive or even do well in the aftermath of a criminal sentence doesn't mean the sentence wasn't significant. In fact the number of lives destroyed by criminal sentences in the USA is a critical flaw in the US justice system that needs to be addressed immediately. The solution isnt to make the system more punitive.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

V-Men posted:

I could see it if they just grabbed literal stacks of papers and ran it through an auto document feeder to scan all the docs and make one giant pdf. And some 21 year old intern/staffer knows just enough to not say anything that could land them in hot water because they're just a staffer who doesn't anything about classified document handling.

I saw some reporting today that maybe the PAC staffer just copied over Trumps calendar from the period when he was president which would have been classified and if true I could see that being inadvertent.

However, I don’t buy that.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Murgos posted:

I saw some reporting today that maybe the PAC staffer just copied over Trumps calendar from the period when he was president which would have been classified and if true I could see that being inadvertent.

However, I don’t buy that.

Wouldn't that just be "one" document, though, not "many"?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Fuschia tude posted:

Wouldn't that just be "one" document, though, not "many"?

Depends on how they count individual entries on the calendar. I would imagine invites referencing different classified info would likely count as individual instances. Or maybe they scanned and attached the pdb to the invites lol

… oh Jesus they probably did didn’t they.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Oracle posted:

Depends on how they count individual entries on the calendar. I would imagine invites referencing different classified info would likely count as individual instances. Or maybe they scanned and attached the pdb to the invites lol

… oh Jesus they probably did didn’t they.

There were reports the PDB was just on an iPad and everyone in the WH would just pass it around without any regard for its classified status.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

FizFashizzle posted:

There were reports the PDB was just on an iPad and everyone in the WH would just pass it around without any regard for its classified status.

*trump immediately exits the app and opens Twitter*

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

mdemone posted:

*trump immediately exits the app and opens Twitter*

Really the PDB should have just had a Twitter share button

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1625313879655063554?s=20&t=VO9eGZLoq0GObdgEx6be3w

Maybe a big deal? Maybe give us some idea if anything matters? I didn't see it discussed much here

E: supposed to be released Thursday

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

Of the five that I listed, four of them were sentenced to prison time, although one of them was pardoned before his sentence started.

Of those five, the longest sentence was Steve Stockman's ten-year prison sentence for money laundering, fraud, tax evasion, and making false statements to assorted federal agencies. He only served two years before Trump pardoned him, but it's not like that's the investigators' fault.
Duke Cunningham did his full sentence before Trump pardoned him, but that's going back to 2005

He was also a literal Corruption Elemental

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
We will see what it says once it’s released.

I think we’re just getting the introduction and the conclusion scrubbed of any details that could affect the defendants rights and a section on obstruction of Justice about people lying to the grand jury*.

The speculation is that the regular grand jury sits in March (I think?) and we should see the indictments soon after.

* It will be very funny if some of the fraudulent electors managed to turn a misdemeanor charge of filing a false document into felony obstruction of Justice charges with a 5 year sentence.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Seems like Pence is going to challenge Jacks subpoena on the grounds that in his role as president of the senate he is immune by reason of the speech and debate clause.

Since he’s was neither a congressman or a senator this seems tenuous. Also, as we’ve seen recently with graham there is already a pretty substantial amount of precedent about what does and does not get covered by that clause so this seems like a fairly low probability play.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Murgos posted:

Seems like Pence is going to challenge Jacks subpoena on the grounds that in his role as president of the senate he is immune by reason of the speech and debate clause.

Since he’s was neither a congressman or a senator this seems tenuous. Also, as we’ve seen recently with graham there is already a pretty substantial amount of precedent about what does and does not get covered by that clause so this seems like a fairly low probability play.

Cheney tried an argument along these lines when he was VP as I recall, though I don't remember in regards to what. Basically he tried to dodge some manner of executive oversight by claiming as president of the senate he was actually part of the legislative branch (in that and only that specific instance).

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Murgos posted:

He successfully argued to Congress that he was part of the executive branch that day, now he's claiming in court to have been part of the legislative branch that day.

It's ridiculous but that doesn't mean it won't work. This delineation has never been made clear by the judiciary.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Exclusive: Trump chief of staff Mark Meadows subpoenaed by special counsel in Jan. 6 investigation

quote:

Donald Trump’s former chief of staff Mark Meadows has been subpoenaed by the special counsel investigating the former president and his role in the January 6, 2021, insurrection, a source familiar with the matter told CNN.

Special counsel Jack Smith’s office is seeking documents and testimony related to January 6, and Meadows received the subpoena sometime in January, the source said. An attorney for Meadows declined to comment.

The Justice Department did not respond to CNN’s request for comment on the subpoena.

The move to subpoena one of Trump’s most senior aides – in addition to the recent subpoena of former Vice President Mike Pence, as CNN reported last week – marks the latest significant step in the special counsel’s investigation into Trump’s role in seeking to overturn the outcome of the 2020 election.

Smith also is simultaneously investigating Trump’s handling of classified documents after leaving office. While the subpoena is related to January 6, Meadows also may be of interest in the documents investigation. He was one of Trump’s designees to the National Archives and played a role in discussions around returning government records in his possession.

The special counsel’s subpoena could set up a clash with the Justice Department and Meadows over executive privilege. The former White House chief of staff, citing executive privilege, previously fought a subpoena from a special grand jury in Georgia that was investigating efforts to overturn the 2020 election results. A judge later ordered Meadows to testify, finding him “material and necessary to the investigation.”

Meadows was involved in the infamous phone call between Trump and Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger and in a December 2020 White House meeting about election fraud claims. Meadows also visited a site where an audit of Georgia’s election was underway and sent emails to Justice Department officials about unsubstantiated fraud allegations.

On January 6, Meadows was in and out of the Oval Office and witness to Trump’s actions as rioters overtook the US Capitol that day.

The recent subpoena for Meadows also underscores the aggressive nature of the special counsel’s probe. CNN has reported that Smith also has subpoenaed former Trump national security adviser Robert O’Brien in both of the Trump-related probes, and Justice Department lawyers interviewed Trump’s former acting Department of Homeland Security Secretary Chad Wolf in recent weeks as part of the probe into 2020 election interference.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Well, if nothing else we’re going to get a pretty clear definition of what is and is not executive privilege after this is all over.

I’m thinking the courts almost have to side with DoJ here as almost their whole article 3 purpose is to try criminal cases and if you make a group unable to be investigated as criminals then they are limiting their own authority which seems unlikely.

Grand Jury subpoenas are court orders and signed by a judge after all.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
!

So Smith subpoenaed Meadows in January. He has also called on Pence.

His J6 investigation can't really go much higher, can it? This is pretty much exactly the way we were advised the Garland DOJ would work, too.

Pence and Meadows, both. I do not think either one will get out of testifying, even if it's just to plead the fifth.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Dr. Faustus posted:

His J6 investigation can't really go much higher, can it? This is pretty much exactly the way we were advised the Garland DOJ would work, too.

Not much higher, those two are probably the most informed as to trumps full intentions other than maybe Roger Stone.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Murgos posted:

Well, if nothing else we’re going to get a pretty clear definition of what is and is not executive privilege after this is all over.

I’m thinking the courts almost have to side with DoJ here as almost their whole article 3 purpose is to try criminal cases and if you make a group unable to be investigated as criminals then they are limiting their own authority which seems unlikely.

Grand Jury subpoenas are court orders and signed by a judge after all.

If DOJ can't investigate, then it would be saying the US does not have a President, but an elected dictator.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Dr. Faustus posted:

Pence and Meadows, both. I do not think either one will get out of testifying, even if it's just to plead the fifth.
(Not my brain's best day for some reason but) isn't the fifth only pertinent to self incrimination, so if I ask "Dr Faustus, did Trump call the national guard from the oval office between &c?", is there even a fifth protection? Even with the phrase "did you witness" added, while it's about the questioned individual, what is self incriminating about an affirmative?

Now if the question is "did you call (on behalf)" or "did you advise", that seems covered, but from the 1/6 depositions it sure seems like a great deal isn't covered.

But we be not lawyers so.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

(Not my brain's best day for some reason but) isn't the fifth only pertinent to self incrimination, so if I ask "Dr Faustus, did Trump call the national guard from the oval office between &c?", is there even a fifth protection? Even with the phrase "did you witness" added, while it's about the questioned individual, what is self incriminating about an affirmative?

Now if the question is "did you call (on behalf)" or "did you advise", that seems covered, but from the 1/6 depositions it sure seems like a great deal isn't covered.

IANAL, but there are situations where observing something could be incriminating. For example, a mandated reporter who observes child abuse me fails to report it could be found guilty of a crime.

But I don't think mandated reporting fits this situation.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

I can't remember if it was explained in this thread or the USCE thread, but often times if someone is going to plead the fifth to anything, they'll be advised to plead the fifth to everything. Basically, while under oath, you have no idea what the questioning attorney is going to ask, and you don't want to say anything that might contradict others' testimony, or even your own statements outside of court/deposition. Here's another quote on the subject:

Rigel posted:

Just to clarify, you cant ignore a summons from congress to testify, but you can just show up to "testify" and then plead the 5th to every single question asked. We saw that a few times with the 1/6 committee.

Congress has the ability, which they rarely use (majority vote of the house or senate, or 2/3 vote of a committee), to give you "congressional immunity". You then have to answer questions and anything you say can't be used by any prosecutor in the country against you. It is a decision by congress, the DOJ is powerless to stop it, and unwise uses of this power has screwed up prosecutions before.

well then we have absolutely nothing like that, the 5th amendment is a very basic constitutional right.

You can't be compelled to tell anyone what you know unless you are given some kind of immunity from prosecution.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

While generally true, you can't plead the fifth in cases where you don't think what you're testifying to may be incriminating. It's a bit of an academic distinction and a good lawyer will probably try to get you to over apply the right but if a judge really believes you're simply using the fifth to avoid answering questions which wouldn't cause you legal jeapordy (thinking of examples like 'please confirm your name') then they probably can punish witnesses.

Of course that's rare since it is a right you've got and there may be some reason unknown to the court why you are taking the fifth (maybe nobody knows you've been committing identity fraud for the last 20 years).

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
https://news.yahoo.com/messages-officer-often-fed-information-215958032.html

quote:

WASHINGTON (AP) — A police officer frequently provided Proud Boys leader Enrique Tarrio with internal information about law enforcement operations in the weeks before other members of his far-right extremist group stormed the U.S. Capitol, according to messages shown Wednesday at the trial of Tarrio and four associates.

A federal prosecutor showed jurors a string of messages that Metropolitan Police Lt. Shane Lamond and Tarrio privately exchanged in the run-up to a mob's attack on the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021. Lamond, an intelligence officer for the city’s police department, was responsible for monitoring groups like the Proud Boys when they came to Washington for protests.

Less than three weeks before the Jan. 6 riot, Lamond warned Tarrio that the FBI and U.S. Secret Service were “all spun up” over talk on an Infowars internet show that the Proud Boys planned to dress up as supporters of President Joe Biden on the Democrat's inauguration day.

Justice Department prosecutor Conor Mulroe asked a government witness, FBI Special Agent Peter Dubrowski, how common it is for law enforcement to disclose internal information in that fashion.

“I've never heard of it,” Dubrowski said.

In a message to Tarrio on Dec. 11, 2020, Lamond told him about the whereabouts of antifascist activists. The officer asked Tarrio if he should share that information with uniformed police officers or keep it to himself.

Two days later, Tarrio asked Lamond what the police department's “general consensus” was about the Proud Boys.

“That's too complicated for a text answer," Lamond replied. "That's an in-person conversation over a beer.”

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Feb 16, 2023

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/AnnaBower/status/1626250276540760065?t=vYoq8cuyFgpmGq5FwOgSHg&s=19

Haven't read through it yet but wanted to share that it dropped.

E: most interesting part so far, from the limited pages that were released

What I can't ascertain is if they are only recommending indictments for the people that lied or if there is more to it that just is not unsealed, I can't remember what this particular GJ's edict was

cr0y fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Feb 16, 2023

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

He also told Tarrio about a warrant for his arrest; that's a straight up mole

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Xand_Man posted:

He also told Tarrio about a warrant for his arrest; that's a straight up mole

That officer is going to plead the Fifth, and/or has already done so.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

cr0y posted:

What I can't ascertain is if they are only recommending indictments for the people that lied or if there is more to it that just is not unsealed, I can't remember what this particular GJ's edict was

Is the introduction section I? Otherwise by the way the last page is formatted it looks like there are either 7 or 8 sections not shown so other recommendations could be anywhere in there.

The conclusion doesn't summarize the findings of the Jury or it may be redacted. I don't think we are going to know until the DA issues indictments that aren't perjury or the final report is released.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

BiggerBoat posted:

https://news.yahoo.com/messages-officer-often-fed-information-215958032.html

🎶Some of those that work forces are the same that burn crosses 🎶

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Lol, Evan Corcoran who has been representing Trump in the documents case went in to talk to the grand jury. Apparently he citied Attorney-Client privilege for something dubious and Smith has asked the judge to rule on crime fraud exception in this matter. Which has caused Corcoran to have to lawyer up since apparently he’s now a subject of interest.

HAHAHA! Get da fuq outta here

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Murgos posted:

Lol, Evan Corcoran who has been representing Trump in the documents case went in to talk to the grand jury. Apparently he citied Attorney-Client privilege for something dubious and Smith has asked the judge to rule on crime fraud exception in this matter. Which has caused Corcoran to have to lawyer up since apparently he’s now a subject of interest.

I love this. Howell... compel the testimony. Let's open some eyes.

quote:

News this week that Trump lawyer Evan Corcoran has invoked the attorney-client privilege in an attempt to avoid providing additional testimony in the DOJ investigation of the Mar-a-Lago affair may seem like another potential impediment to the special counsel’s ability to complete that probe. Yet, the DOJ response, moving to compel Corcoran’s testimony based on the “crime fraud exception” to the attorney-client privilege, indicates not only that the end may be getting near, but that the eventual charges will focus, as I previously wrote in Slate, on obstruction of justice.

By invoking the “crime fraud exception,” the DOJ has represented to District Court Judge Beryl Howell that it has clear and convincing evidence that Corcoran, serving as Trump’s lawyer, was involved in conduct that furthered an ongoing crime when he responded to the DOJ and the National Archives’ attempts to retrieve classified documents. An attorney who enables a client’s violations of law loses the ability to conceal the underlying conduct by invoking the attorney-client privilege. Corcoran was at the center of the obstruction activities under question, asserting both before and after the issuance of the Mar-a-Lago subpoena that any of the demanded classified materials had been turned over to the National Archives. Corcoran’s key role included drafting a statement signed by another Trump lawyer, Christina Bobb, that “a diligent search” for classified documents had been made, and all such documents had been turned over. Some two months later, the Mar-a-Lago FBI search yielded more than 100 classified documents.
Advertisement

A ruling from Judge Howell that the crime fraud exception applies would not only further expose Corcoran, but would have a rippling impact on the other Trump attorneys involved in potential obstruction. This includes, of course, Bobb, who signed the “diligent search” false statement. That she apparently added a minimal qualifier to Corcoran’s draft will likely be seen more as an admission that she knew the statement she signed was inaccurate than as a legal shield.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 17, 2023

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Murgos posted:

My attorneys got attorneys

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

That's possibly the best thing I've read all week. The fact it not only demolished this lawyer but also warned all others immediately not to play with fire and continue to obstruct justice because there will be consequences? Chef kiss. What a brilliant move.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

cr0y posted:

https://twitter.com/AnnaBower/status/1626250276540760065?t=vYoq8cuyFgpmGq5FwOgSHg&s=19

Haven't read through it yet but wanted to share that it dropped.

E: most interesting part so far, from the limited pages that were released

Tbh, this makes me slightly concerned that any recommended indictments will be about obstruction/perjury rather than the election interference. But I'm a huge pessimist.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

V-Men posted:

Tbh, this makes me slightly concerned that any recommended indictments will be about obstruction/perjury rather than the election interference. But I'm a huge pessimist.
Assuming indictments of any kind are even remotely possible makes you a modern-day Pollyanna.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Finally, someone unbiased will get to the bottom of this.

https://twitter.com/mikeallen/status/1627678784718610433?s=46&t=Qg0L_0BnrIkDuWn4gdetnA