Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

calling it now, Lucci and Kaku are going to end up joining Buggy's crew

i really would like a crew comprised entirely of luffy villains that the strawhats have to defeat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

we've finally found a way to reintroduce Gin from the Krieg pirates

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

Perfection. They deserve no less.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Does the One Piece World have a loose karma or is it just chaos?

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010
I'd put my money on it being atlas because they're the only vegapunk not freaking out right now and the only thing they've said in the chapter is that any of their parts can be replaced so they might be acting remotely and it would fit with the targetting CP0

That or the gorosei are the only ones who can send orders remotely and Saturn's on his way personally because ????

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

I might have missed it, but I don't think you've taken the deactivation of the frontier dome into account - that was the first obvious sign of there being a saboteur/traitor in the labophase. We see reaction shots of Shaka, Lilith and York while it's happening, none of them are near a computer terminal so between that and the events of this chapter I'm 99.9% sure all three of them are safe.

Atlas is huge, so I don't think she could have gotten in & out of the control room to deactivate the dome without being picked up on the monitors. Edison might have been able to, but you know what sticks out on a reread? Pythagoras is the one checking the monitors, and he also reactivates the frontier dome from that very same terminal (or at least from the same room). If he can reactivate it, he could also be the one who deactivated it... it's just none of the Vegapunks had reason to suspect one of their own at the time.

I reckon he took advantage of the destruction and blind spots in the surveillance to incapacitate the Stella outside the Kuma room, then he found the Seraphim and gave them orders. He had S-Snake attack him with a blast he'd survive, to deflect suspicion and lay a trap for whoever came looking for him. But S-Snake didn't blast York, she just petrified her. I think he's only actively targeting a couple of the other VPs (likely Lilith and Shaka) and CP0. Presumably the Strawhats are to be taken out if they get in the way. He probably wants to seize control of the cluster, and may have even been the one who tipped off the WG about Vegapunk's defection in the first place (though if so, that backfired on him).

Edit: tl;dr, traitorpunk is most likely Pythagoras.

jassa fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Feb 17, 2023

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

That final panel of Luffy and Zoro being utterly revolted at the thought of teaming up with Lucci and Kaku :allears:

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I don't know if TCB had to obtain them from a different source or if they hired a new cleaner/redrawer or something, but the image quality of this latest chapter wasn't great.

A lot of the finer details are muddied/pretty incomprehensible, but I managed to find some clearer ones out there and, well, take this panel for example; you'd be surprised at the tiny things you might miss on a first read through:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Good to see Mereum getting work after Hunter X Hunter

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

Every circus needs a giraffe

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Cat Machine posted:

Every circus needs a giraffe

And a pasta machine!

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

That would be so against their Dark Justice it'd take a way more radical shift than what's happened so far to make them even consider turning against the WG.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Not sure Kaku is much of a Dark Justice guy

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Not sure Kaku is much of a Dark Justice guy

I thought Kaku was the true believer while Lucci used it as justification for his sadism.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

the bitcoin of weed posted:

it's gonna be some secret vegapunk clone or android or whatever that was deemed a failure and sentenced to the trash can or get locked in a pod thats now loving things up, mad scientists are always leaving these things around

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH-la5gyibc

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It's the 7th abandoned failure satellite (he's pink)

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Delphisage posted:

That would be so against their Dark Justice it'd take a way more radical shift than what's happened so far to make them even consider turning against the WG.
That's the whole point of Cross Guild though lol, it's the ultimate band of misfits with nowhere else to go

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Jerusalem posted:

That final panel of Luffy and Zoro being utterly revolted at the thought of teaming up with Lucci and Kaku :allears:

This really is playing out exactly like I hoped it would. Lucci psyching himself up for the rematch of the century, eating poo poo hard for his arrogance, and then being forced into an alliance of convenience with somebody he absolutely loathes. I hope they spend this whole team-up at odds with each-other, if Lucci's gonna become an ally then make him squirm through every step of it!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

This really is playing out exactly like I hoped it would. Lucci psyching himself up for the rematch of the century, eating poo poo hard for his arrogance, and then being forced into an alliance of convenience with somebody he absolutely loathes. I hope they spend this whole team-up at odds with each-other, if Lucci's gonna become an ally then make him squirm through every step of it!

Luffy's new technique Gum Gum Friendship Wave

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Delphisage posted:

I thought Kaku was the true believer while Lucci used it as justification for his sadism.

I thought the idea of the CP9 cover story was that the former CP9 members (Lucci maybe somewhat less than the others) chilled out somewhat after being scapegoated by Spandam’s faction of the WG. Them being back in the WG’s good graces again, and even Lucci eagerly serving the World Nobles directly (despite resenting taking orders from an incompetent like Spandam), never made much sense to me; it feels like American superhero comic writing where character development (especially on the part of villains) and other changes in circumstances get undone without much explanation.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

jassa posted:

Edit: tl;dr, traitorpunk is most likely Pythagoras.
True, I wasn't thinking about who was able to get the dome down, that is an important bit of information. And honestly, I think the fact that someone who was already there had to lower the dome rules out a Kizaru/Saturn stealth combo.

I think Pythagoras is definitely a top suspect, but I wouldn't rule out Edison. As you mentioned he's unaccounted for when the frontier dome went down, and he's actually the one who gave the Seraphim their orders to stay outside- a fact York even called out. I don't think we would have known it wasn't Lilith who gave the orders if it hadn't been pointed out, so that's an interesting detail to include. Also Edison was very quick to go out and order the Seraphim to stop when they first showed up.

I think what's interesting in either case is what the motivation for all this might be. What exactly they're doing might give us a hint. You suggest they're targeting CP0, Lilith and Shaka, but actually they don't target Shaka. He just runs up next to Zoro and Luffy who are physically standing in front of Lucci and Kaku. He might just be collateral damage.

But that said, they are clearly targeting Lilith. It's possible that this is the real purpose of all this- to purge Vegapunk of their evil influences before they're let lose on the world. CP0 could be considered "evil" that needs to be purged as well. Actually, that kind of makes me suspect Shaka a bit, but he gave them a direct order to stop. Maybe it's 'wise' to get rid of all the evil baggage suggesting Pythagoras, or maybe he's 'thinking' of the negative consequences, suggesting Edison.

With all that in mind, if you're calling out Pythagoras, I'm changing my serious guess to Edison.

In any case I think we can suppose one thing for sure about next chapter: S-Shark will show up to attack Stussy, leading to a sweet Jimbei vs Jimbei battle.

As a side note on a careful reread, Ussop just completely face planting while Franky and Lilith gracefully use their boots to land was some quality slapstick.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 17, 2023

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Silver2195 posted:

I thought the idea of the CP9 cover story was that the former CP9 members (Lucci maybe somewhat less than the others) chilled out somewhat after being scapegoated by Spandam’s faction of the WG. Them being back in the WG’s good graces again, and even Lucci eagerly serving the World Nobles directly (despite resenting taking orders from an incompetent like Spandam), never made much sense to me; it feels like American superhero comic writing where character development (especially on the part of villains) and other changes in circumstances get undone without much explanation.

Yeah, ever since CP9 came back as CP0 I've thought it was really weird that their cover arc didn't really explain at all how they got from there they left the series to where they came back. Like, the last time we see the CP9 crew they were basically declaring war on the Marines and the government while Spandam was plotting his revenge against them but then the timeskip happens and they're all working together again so like, what the hell happened?

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

Drakkel posted:

Yeah, ever since CP9 came back as CP0 I've thought it was really weird that their cover arc didn't really explain at all how they got from there they left the series to where they came back. Like, the last time we see the CP9 crew they were basically declaring war on the Marines and the government while Spandam was plotting his revenge against them but then the timeskip happens and they're all working together again so like, what the hell happened?

the cover story was written by Morgans to really sell that they were at odds so they could be more clandestine

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I’m absolutely sure there’s way more to that story that we’re probably about to get pretty drat soon. That feels way too big and deliberate to be handwaved away.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Crossposting from the Toonami thread.
https://twitter.com/OnePiecePodcast/status/1626653278019719177

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
An ingenious play, waiting to air a special for so long that not a single person watching on Toonami will know who this Toriko guy and his little chef are.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That One Piece x Dragon Ball Cross Epoch manga chapter is pretty cool anyway. Has that ever been released officially in English?

That special I only kind of half-watched and didn't seem too good, but I also haven't been properly introduced to that Toriko fellow.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Don't google what the author of Toriko did in 2002 worst mistake of my life

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’ve never seen it but I hear the Toriko manga/anime was pretty good (albeit very weird)

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Heavy Metal posted:

That One Piece x Dragon Ball Cross Epoch manga chapter is pretty cool anyway. Has that ever been released officially in English?

That special I only kind of half-watched and didn't seem too good, but I also haven't been properly introduced to that Toriko fellow.

It was included as a bonus booklet in one of the box sets, the third one I think

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

RuBisCO posted:

It was included as a bonus booklet in one of the box sets, the third one I think

That rocks.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

It sucks that Oda is friends with multiple pedophiles. I don't believe in guilt by association or whatever, but holy poo poo would it be depressing if anything came out about the man himself.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Larryb posted:

I’ve never seen it but I hear the Toriko manga/anime was pretty good (albeit very weird)

It's basically what if food wars was an actual battle manga. Also it's made of homoerotic tension.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ever Disappointing posted:

It sucks that Oda is friends with multiple pedophiles. I don't believe in guilt by association or whatever, but holy poo poo would it be depressing if anything came out about the man himself.

I kinda honestly think Oda loves big fuckin' baps too much to be into that kinda stuff.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Larryb posted:

I saw the first chapter an they were eating a buffet and talking about hunting down some yummy whale with enchanted umami meat or whatever. Then I peeked at one of the later chapters and they were on some remote planet or whatever fighting a human megagod with some convoluted plot going on and everyone was crying and in pain, because... yummy food, I guess?

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

I feel like the reason we haven't seen the rest of CP9 since the cover arc is that they're hostages to secure his cooperation and I hope its the case because it'd bring all the loyalty swaps to pirates of the caribbean 3 levels

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Delphisage posted:

Dark Justice was only ever brought up in regards to Lucci not the CP9 as a whole. Especially not to Kaku the only guy who seemed to genuinely regret having betrayed the Galley-La

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I'm 100% here for Kaku rehabilitation and 0% here for Lucci rehabilitation.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Scholtz posted:

would be a legit great character moment(s) if Lucci immediately tried to backstab and Kaku was like “wtf” and stayed true to his word

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Scholtz posted:

Same, this setup already has me chuckling