Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Big benefit of catching up in being able to go mining for memes.

https://twitter.com/franmm127/status/1625538057771286528?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i guess for all that i love fujimoto's characters, plotting, and humor, the thing i might find most compelling is just the really weird concepts or visuals that come out of nowhere. which is why bucky the friendly talking chicken carcass and yoru turning the teacher into a horrific living bonesword had me hooked from the first chapter of part 2. it's too off-putting not to like

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I just really hope that Asa being so out of touch with everyone around her is just because she's awkward or neuroatypical or something, and not because she's actually part devil or some dumb thing.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
In her introduction chapter, Asa was already shown to be awkward, she even came to the realization that she was jealous of everyone having friends when Bucky remembered her name and everyone waved for her to come join...and then she tripped. :smith:

Rereading the chapters is way quicker and flows better when you're not counting the days until the next chapter drop.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
maybe watching her mother die saving her life might have something to do with it

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I just really hope that Asa being so out of touch with everyone around her is just because she's awkward or neuroatypical or something, and not because she's actually part devil or some dumb thing.

She's definitely gonna hit a point where she'll be like "oh a devil is to blame for all my troubles" before going "oh no it's just me"

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Miching Mallecho posted:

Rereading the chapters is way quicker and flows better when you're not counting the days until the next chapter drop.
:same:

Although, I was hooked on pt 2 from the first chapter

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
I think pt 1 only found its stride once we landed on the normalcy of the Aki + Power + Denji dysfunctional family combo. It was good before that obviously, but that point is where it really finds its heart. Pt 2 starts out much better because Asa's a loving loser who's great by herself, greater when paired with Yoru, and greatest when forced to interact with characters who can barely stand her.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

maybe watching her mother die saving her life might have something to do with it

The whole chase sequence and flashback absolutely was one of my favorite parts so far.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
CSM drags its characters through the mud but I think in the end Fujimoto gives his characters things even more precious than happiness or life. Power dies but not before she learns to love someone else, Denji loses the person he wanted most but also accepts that she was bad for him, Aki dies horribly, but before that he gains a family. Himeno dies but before that Denji gives her hope enough that she can get emotionally invested in keeping her partners alive. They’re not happy endings, but they become better people

Not sure how Asa fits into that. Right now it seems she is unnecessarily down on herself. Even her bragging about herself and assuming guys are in love with her is fed by her insecurity. She achieves great things but only focuses on her failures so for right now it seems like she needs to be happier, more optimistic with herself. But Fujimoto doesn’t seem to give his characters happiness in the end, he gives them character growth, so there’s a lot of stuff yet in store for Asa we haven’t gotten to yet. Really interested to see where this goes.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 22, 2023

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I only caught up once Part 2 was already in swing but I loved Asa from the get

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Steve Yun posted:

CSM drags its characters through the mud but I think in the end Fujimoto gives his characters things even more precious than happiness or life. Power dies but not before she learns to love someone else, Denji loses the person he wanted most but also accepts that she was bad for him, Aki dies horribly, but before that he gains a family. Himeno dies but before that Denji gives her hope enough that she can get emotionally invested in keeping her partners alive. They’re not happy endings, but they become better people

Not sure how Asa fits into that. Right now it seems she is unnecessarily down on herself. Even her bragging about herself and assuming guys are in love with her is fed by her insecurity. She achieves great things but only focuses on her failures so for right now it seems like she needs to be happier, more optimistic with herself. But Fujimoto doesn’t seem to give his characters happiness in the end, he gives them character growth, so there’s a lot of stuff yet in store for Asa we haven’t gotten to yet. Really interested to see where this goes.

She's going to finally learn to love herself and she'll make some real friends and then she'll loving die.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

Not sure how Asa fits into that. Right now it seems she is unnecessarily down on herself.
If we assume we're dealing with a Suicide Devil it's likely that Asa was harder than usual on herself/more negative due to its influence. The point still remains, of course.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

chiasaur11 posted:

2) There's much less of a through-line. The Gun Devil was a very Shonen Jump kind of main villain, which is part of why he was a decoy, but he gave clear direction to Denji and Aki's goals, even when arcs didn't directly advance things. Meanwhile, Asa and Yoru feel like they're flailing, because they are flailing. Unlike with Denji and Aki's quest, we know the punchline in advance, so the joke's setup feels much more drawn out, and the actual villainous plot feels much more frustrating when we have no idea how it's going.

I kind of feel like the Justice Devil is the through line, but Asa hasn't really realized this yet. The Justice Devil was behind two of the worst events in Asa's life and I feel like a more competent protagonists would have gone "Hey, I gotta find this Justice Devil and take them down before they strike again because they have a clear pattern of targeting troubled young girls, driving them insane, then causing them to turn into devils and commit horrific acts of violence. I've got confirmation that they go to my school, so let's start investigating before they gently caress up my life for a third time" already, but Asa is kind of bad at figuring out what she should do and Yoru is even worse so they haven't grasped that they should really be proactive on this one.

Eimi posted:

Maybe I wouldn't have thought so if Yuko hadn't entered, made me think maybe Asa was just gay, and then died to reveal that no Asa is a femcel.

We don't know Yuko is dead for sure yet, just that she's had her head cut off. Like, I'll admit things looked pretty grim last time we saw her and she's PROBABLY dead, but after her head came off her body she was still talking so she was still alive at that point.

Devils are hard to kill, Denji has survived decapitation before and Power was able to come back from some blood.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

PringleCreamEgg posted:

i have a theory that she is part War devil

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Devils are hard to kill, Denji has survived decapitation before and Power was able to come back from some blood.

Devils are difficult to kill.

Hybrids like Denji are something else. Kishibe and Nayuta have both described him as immortal no chaser, and the evidence has kept up with that, where even Chainsaw Man failed to erase them from existence.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i like part 2 more than part 1 cause i have an easy time relating to fail women

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

If it goes that way, that seems more like something Justice would do than Fami. We haven’t heard anything from the Justice devil in a while.

I am certain that Justice works for Fami. So far, the incidents involved with Justice surround Asa/Yoru, and I am assuming that Fami is driving these interactions.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Flair posted:

I am certain that Justice works for Fami. So far, the incidents involved with Justice surround Asa/Yoru, and I am assuming that Fami is driving these interactions.

That assumes that Justice and Famine are different devils.

They both carry scales, after all.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
There’s gonna be some crazy shell game where Fami is under Justice’s control and Justice is under Octopus’ control

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Every devil is powered by the fear of something

So really, a devil that causes people to commit suicide should be Life Devil

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I'm a sucker for slice-of-life juxtaposed against an off-kilter setting, and Chainsaw Man: Part 2 scratches that itch.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I like Chainsaw Man best when it surprises me with some dumb poo poo and thus far I have not been disappointed.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
part 2 has had a much stronger start than part 1 did

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Bad Seafood posted:

I'm a sucker for slice-of-life juxtaposed against an off-kilter setting, and Chainsaw Man: Part 2 scratches that itch.

:same:

I also like Yoru starting to care about the teenage girl they technically adopted.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Part 2 owns and I don't know how anyone could be let down by it

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Part 2 is worth it for Yoru's temper tantrum alone.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I'm really enjoying how part 2 is spiralling off in its own direction rather than attempting to recreate similar relationship dynamics to part 1.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
part 2 owns and can only get better because kobeni has yet to appear

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Hace posted:

Part 2 owns and I don't know how anyone could be let down by it

I imagine the people who decry any episode that isn't beginning-to-end fight scene to be useless filler.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

For me I didn't feel like we needed a part 2, part 1s ending was a sufficient ending. And then when we get to 2, Denji shows up and it feels like his character backsliding because he's once again just trying to get laid, and Nayuta was missing. As well a big part of the appeal was that csm was very much not typical shounen and moving it to a high school was the opposite of what I wanted. I think it's justified itself now, but I was worried that is a backslide on what made me love part 1.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Reading Look Back and Goodbye, Eri after finishing Part 1 made me appreciate Part 1 so much more and made me so hype for Part 2. LB and GE just showed that Fujimoto has so much in his repertoire and is constantly evolving, and I was certain he would bring it to CSM.

So far, Part 2 has been awesome!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't think Denji ever stopped trying to get laid

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think Denji ever stopped trying to get laid

Literally just before handling Makima he declares before Kobeni and Kishibe that he wants to keep being Chainsaw Man so he can get 10 girlfriends and have tons of sex.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

yum posted:

part 2 owns and can only get better because kobeni has yet to appear

Kobeni will reveal her contract in Part 4 and I'll poo poo my pants.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

MorningMoon posted:

Kobeni will reveal her contract in Part 4 and I'll poo poo my pants.

Both of these predictions are correct, but they will not be related.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Kobeni has a contract with the devil.

Not like a devil devil, but literally just Satan.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Yes, but Satan is the name of the poo poo Your Pants Devil.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
There probably is a Satan Devil, there's just no reason it would hang out in Japan instead of a more heavily Christian part of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
There's probably the Devil, the Devil Devil, and a the Devil Devil Devil, in descending order of strength.