Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Last Celebration posted:

Goddamn that gum gum Zoro is rad as heck.

Luffy with Kanjuro's (I think?) Devil Fruit power is rad as hell too :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Mraagvpeine posted:

Here's a whole album of the What If series that image is a part of.

https://imgur.com/a/kOk1j5W

These are all amazing. Especially Croc/Doffy, samurai Vivi, and 3 sword Nami. And I love that Luffy’s fishman drawing is part of the crew. Oda is so good.

^^^^^ oh right Kanjuro’s fruit makes sense for that one! ^^^^^

Edit wait what the hell, the fishman is Nami??

Wii Spawn Camper fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Mar 1, 2023

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Where's the What If of Franky being the pervert he's always wan.... ok I guess we don't need one for that

"Yay! Being eaten alive!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RGkPOkTEfk

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

Here's a whole album of the What If series that image is a part of.

https://imgur.com/a/kOk1j5W

These are so good (samurai vivi....lightning fruit hancock....) but what is the "What If" meant to be for Crocodile & Doflamingo

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
The most recent SBS got translated and posted on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/OnePiece/comments/11exfpb/one_piece_vol_105_oda_sbs_megathread/

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

rannum posted:

These are so good (samurai vivi....lightning fruit hancock....) but what is the "What If" meant to be for Crocodile & Doflamingo

Looks like JoJo's Bleach to me

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

rannum posted:

What if Crocodile had teamed up with Doflamingo in Marineford instead of telling him to gently caress off.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Some wild poo poo in this one. Its like a greatest hits of things people wanted answered in Wano

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

quote:

Oda: "Picture books" and "illustrated stories" do exist in One Piece. Picture books are just picture books, but think of illustrated stories as the manga in the world of One Piece. Since there is no concept of speech bubbles, the story is told through text and dialoque within a frame, similar to manga. Some famous titles in the One Piece world include: "Sora, Warrior of the Sea", "Fire Dog", "Pokeemon", "Monkey Ball", and "Marco-san".

The idea of a world not having the concept of speech bubbles is kinda throwing for a loop.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

The tama stuff's crazy

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I didnt realize Kurozomi was on her parents' grave and it wasnt just a good theory. So odd it was never discussed more explicitly it's a great plot point.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Time for more Tama discourse

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

No Wave posted:

I didnt realize Kurozomi was on her parents' grave and it wasnt just a good theory. So odd it was never discussed more explicitly it's a great plot point.

That would mean spending more time in Wano and no one (not even Oda) wanted that.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

The Tama reveal probably should have been more in the text, but I like his answer a lot. A bleak, but realistic, note that if people did find that out even tho she's a good person and such it would be a big deal. Also putting to rest all that 'Kurozomi were born to burn' stuff.

Same with the SMILE stuff. Hats off to any author that actually let's there be consequences that can't be fixed in their stories. Still, wonder if he will down the road.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

It's a good opportunity to double down on the theme of grudges and cycles of hatred dying with new generations

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

CatstropheWaitress posted:

The Tama reveal probably should have been more in the text, but I like his answer a lot. A bleak, but realistic, note that if people did find that out even tho she's a good person and such it would be a big deal. Also putting to rest all that 'Kurozomi were born to burn' stuff.

Same with the SMILE stuff. Hats off to any author that actually let's there be consequences that can't be fixed in their stories. Still, wonder if he will down the road.
Yeah, those are both great storytelling choices.

I don't think much more time needed to be spent on it, but it would have been nice if the grave was more obvious to the reader, or there was a panel zooming in on it or something. It's a great detail that helps bring the themes of Wano together.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
It's all worth it just to hear Oda make that "Coal is made to burn" pun, right?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Electric Phantasm posted:

The idea of a world not having the concept of speech bubbles is kinda throwing for a loop.
so that's what's at laugh tale

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Coaaab posted:

so that's what's at laugh tale

Roger: This cat........says he hates mondays!!!

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
Manga in the One Piece universe just a series of New Yorker cartoons with captions beneath..

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Also did the sbs say there is an in-universe Marco themed picturebook/manga

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

XkyRauh posted:

Manga in the One Piece universe just a series of New Yorker cartoons with captions beneath..

Makes me wonder if there are political cartoons in the One Piece universe (especially considering how oppressive the WG can be to the point where there’s an entire subset of people that are literally above the law)

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Funky Valentine posted:

Roger: This cat........says he hates mondays!!!

I snorted

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

Great art, but man those Twitter replies.

This is correct for most art posts on Twitter. Never read the comments! :thumbsup:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Marco stays winning on the PR front

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Larryb posted:

Makes me wonder if there are political cartoons in the One Piece universe (especially considering how oppressive the WG can be to the point where there’s an entire subset of people that are literally above the law)

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Kaido was a government Warlord?

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Didn't Kaido specifically remark that Gear 5 Luffy was like something out of a comic book?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

DizzyBum posted:

This is correct for most art posts on Twitter. Never read the comments! :thumbsup:
Well, since this exchange prompted me to look at them like an idiot, I gotta say, just to vent, not because anyone here need to be told this:

It's a picture from a "what if" series of dramatically different scenarios. It is almost the opposite of Oda saying Yamato is a woman. And in any case a man is in fact allowed to dress up like an Oiran if they want to.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Drakkel posted:

Didn't Kaido specifically remark that Gear 5 Luffy was like something out of a comic book?
Yes, that was the prompt for the SBS answer

also lol oda called me out for being a dumbass

https://twitter.com/newworldartur/status/1630969009913966592?s=46&t=EHptW4iwfiyVOCoA9khTag

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Isn't that the Twitter account that said the Nika fruit was both Paramecia and Zoan, and both Gear 4 and Gear 5 were Luffy's Awakenings?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/newworldartur/status/1630962338596618241?t=lzCB0Lm_2wa2ghMDLUqnfA&s=19

Zoro's family tree nicely translated and explained. I'd like to know what relation Kouzaburo had with Ushimaro. Were they cousins? They were part of the same clan bur I don't really know how closely related members of clans like that actually are

bondster
May 6, 2007

mabels big day posted:

https://twitter.com/newworldartur/status/1630962338596618241?t=lzCB0Lm_2wa2ghMDLUqnfA&s=19

Zoro's family tree nicely translated and explained. I'd like to know what relation Kouzaburo had with Ushimaro. Were they cousins? They were part of the same clan bur I don't really know how closely related members of clans like that actually are

So if the tree is implying that Zoro is a descendant of Ryuma, that means he has a legitimate claim to Shusui and the people of Wano just took it from him lol

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

bondster posted:

So if the tree is implying that Zoro is a descendant of Ryuma, that means he has a legitimate claim to Shusui and the people of Wano just took it from him lol

We're going back for it for 4 more years of Wano

Also I think it's fine Chopper didn't fix the SMILE victims, because I think any cure would have to dig into the more fundamental secrets of what Devil Fruits actually are and how they work that we can't be privy to yet. Maybe when we come back for Shusui, Yamato, Pluton, and the charred corpses of Big Mom and Kaido during the four year Wano part 2, we will know enough about Devil Fruits for Chopper to be able to fix them.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Delphisage posted:

Isn't that the Twitter account that said the Nika fruit was both Paramecia and Zoan, and both Gear 4 and Gear 5 were Luffy's Awakenings?

Artur’s a G so watch your mouth

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Delphisage posted:

Mythical Zoans are basically a combination of Paramecia+Zoan. It was speculation anyway

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

yamato will bring zoro shisui back when he rejoins the crew later, dont worry #odasplan

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

RatHat posted:

Mythical Zoans are basically a combination of Paramecia+Zoan. It was speculation anyway

I couldn't tell the difference between him speculating and him stating leaked information.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

mabels big day posted:

honestly this is fine. zoro's just a dude whose family has some great swordsmen in it, but he's still just some kid. he is one of many descendants of ryuma, but it feels like it doesn't define him much. definitely not like some chosen-one bs, but a dude that definitely makes sense as a natural swordsman that has to put in a lot of work.

this probably also means tashigi is from a split-off ancestor and she and kuina probably have the same grandma or great uncle or something

anime was right fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

also this seems to clear up the translation on "kurozumi was born to burn." it just didnt work well into english but its nice to know that odas intent was good.