Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Kalli posted:

Not knowing anything about players, go back a page and check the mock... oh 4th overall.

Oooh, drat. That's gonna be an expensive whoopsie man.

the human life expense is also pretty bad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

SKULL.GIF posted:

Who was that lineman who was suspected of murder a few years back? He got cleared but I think he ended up not being drafted

Cowboys dude from LSU.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

kidcoelacanth posted:

the human life expense is also pretty bad!

Street racing has consequences?!?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
jalen carter to the bears in the second round

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Who was that lineman who was suspected of murder a few years back? He got cleared but I think he ended up not being drafted

La'el Collins. He was never a suspect but he had previously dated her and the news came about that the police wanted to talk to him right before the draft.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

This is much less enjoyable than the Bong Tape

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Docjowles posted:

This is much less enjoyable than the Bong Tape

The bong tape was the high point of draft scandals. We won't ever reach that combination of petty hilarity and solid player

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/MrColeThompson/status/1630956004916469763

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

I was at bar trivia while the 2016 draft was going on, the TVs were muted and we couldn't use out phones so we had no idea what the hell was going on. Just watching the picks roll in and every five minutes a picture of a dude in a gas mask bong. We thought NFL Network got hacked.

Plus I was a Lions fan hoping he would fall to #16 and one of my teammates was a Dolfan. Classic bar-trivia-draft moment, second only to me literally falling out of my chair after the Eric Ebron pick in 2014.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SKULL.GIF posted:

Josh Brent maybe if we're talking cars and doing dumb things with them?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_Brent

e: oh that was way after the draft, didn't finish reading the post. Yeah you're thinking of someone else.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

I've been wanting him at #7 for the Raiders for months.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Man, gently caress that guy. He was probably drunk while racing too.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

It'd be a real shame if Jalen Carter fell to pick #13.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

He’s just Ray Lewis 2.0

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Kalli posted:

Not knowing anything about players, go back a page and check the mock... oh 4th overall.

Oooh, drat. That's gonna be an expensive whoopsie man.

I dunno that it'd be a whoopsie. I believe the cynical term would be extreme upside benefit for some team because of him falling.

Like if you want to completely remove any sort of human sympathy and emotion, and just make a cold calculated Football decision.

Extremely doubt it'd be a long term problem drafting him. He's like the first or second best prospect in the draft lol.

You'd just have to be willing to completely eat the PR hit, bank on him just being a stupid 21 year old who was driving recklessly and someone who he was racing with in another car was drunk(maybe him too) and died. At least with the current information, maybe more comes out but yeah.

Like He wouldn't be the first sports player to drive recklessly, and potentially drunk, and he won't be the last, plenty of them are in the league now, and they just got buried by various police departments because "no harm no foul", or they got community service. Shout out to Lance Briggs lol.

This is sadly more than likely just going to end up being section in an athletic/ESPN piece in 2 years about how he was so immature as a 20/21 year old, and how he has grown up and matured(and become a great Defensive Tackle which is the actual main thrust of the piece, please ignore how people died.)

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Dexo posted:

I dunno that it'd be a whoopsie. I believe the cynical term would be extreme upside benefit for some team because of him falling.

Like if you want to completely remove any sort of human sympathy and emotion, and just make a cold calculated Football decision.

Extremely doubt it'd be a long term problem drafting him. He's like the first or second best prospect in the draft lol.

You'd just have to be willing to completely eat the PR hit, bank on him just being a stupid 21 year old who was driving recklessly and someone who he was racing with in another car was drunk(maybe him too) and died. At least with the current information, maybe more comes out but yeah.

Like He wouldn't be the first sports player to drive recklessly, and potentially drunk, and he won't be the last, plenty of them are in the league now, and they just got buried by various police departments because "no harm no foul", or they got community service. Shout out to Lance Briggs lol.

This is sadly more than likely just going to end up being section in an athletic/ESPN piece in 2 years about how he was so immature as a 20/21 year old, and how he has grown up and matured(and become a great Defensive Tackle which is the actual main thrust of the piece, please ignore how people died.)

Honestly, I'm not even sure there would be a major PR hit. Especially if nothing points to him being intoxicated while doing it. I know in my 20s, I absolutely hosed around racing friends. We were sober, but it was still reckless and dumb. I think a lot of people will fall on "he was just a dumb kid and something tragic happened because of it" side of things.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
It's less bad than drafting someone like Matt Araiza or willingly signing Greg Hardy, but still not a great look.

Also if he does fall down the draft they will definitely just call it "Character Concerns" or "off the field adversity"

Apples McGrind
Oct 13, 2013

I dunno, i feel like if Laremy Tunsil smoking weed out of a gas mask bong hurt his draft stock, then an incident that got two people killed is probably gonna make more than a few GMs think twice about drafting Jalen Carter.

Apples McGrind fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 1, 2023

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Nodoze posted:

It's less bad than drafting someone like Matt Araiza or willingly signing Greg Hardy, but still not a great look.

Also if he does fall down the draft they will definitely just call it "Character Concerns" or "off the field adversity"

Maturity Issues during and before the draft.

Off the Field Adversity, is when he's playing well, and as such is "overcoming it"

Character concerns and issues don't pop up unless he's playing poorly after being drafted.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Apples McGrind posted:

I dunno, i feel like if Laremy Tunsil smoking weed out of a gas mask bong hurt his draft stock, then an incident that got two people killed is probably gonna make more than a few GMs think twice about drafting Jalen Carter.

I was going to come in here and say they're not similar except I just checked and Tunsil was "top of the board" good.

I think Tunsil is a lesson to execs that the gamble can pay off. I doubt he falls out of the top 20, honestly even top 10. If the revelations get worse his talent and position will make a playoff team think their Positive Culture can "fix" him

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Apples McGrind posted:

I dunno, i feel like if Laremy Tunsil smoking weed out of a gas mask bong hurt his draft stock, than an incident that got two people killed is probably gonna make more than a few GMs think twice about drafting Jalen Carter.

that was 7 years ago. And also like literally the day of the draft.

Like, if this Jalen Carter story came out like that Tunsil story did literally during the draft, yeah dude would free fall into the teens/20s

Teams are gonna have like 2 more months of information, and the "story" is going to die down.

He might fall some, but not past ~10 and even that I doubt.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Less then two years away from Ruggs killing someone and ruining his life, but hey, I'm sure GM's will be thrilled to draft this guy in the top half of the first.

Apples McGrind
Oct 13, 2013

Dexo posted:

that was 7 years ago. And also like literally the day of the draft.

Like, if this Jalen Carter story came out like that Tunsil story did literally during the draft, yeah dude would free fall into the teens/20s

Teams are gonna have like 2 more months of information, and the "story" is going to die down.

He might fall some, but not past ~10 and even that I doubt.

i mean i guess it depends how bad the story evolves. Like if this is the extent of it then yeah, you're probably right, but they haven't even arrested him yet. And if he gets booked on more charges, then who know where this goes.

I guess we're just kind of in "Wait and See" mode.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Carter is still going top 5. They're misdemeanor charges

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Kalli posted:

Less then two years away from Ruggs killing someone and ruining his life, but hey, I'm sure GM's will be thrilled to draft this guy in the top half of the first.

Yep.

My guess is it changes if like it's found out that there was a collision of some sort where Carter hit them. But with the information we have now Jalen Carter is only guilty of reckless driving.

The Driver of the other car is the one who crashed, and killed those people in that car(as far as the law is concerned), It'd be difficult to try and get Carter on anything other than reckless driving and racing and maybe drunk driving if they can prove he'd been drinking(which since he ran good luck).

The people who died were in the other car, with that driver who was driving recklessly.

So yeah, after Carter gets his fine, and like community service for the misdemeanor, some GM is definitely going to draft him.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

The more important Georgia prospect's arrest info.

https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1630979917666975760

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Was there something reported about alcohol being a factor with Carter or are several people in here just adding what they think may be the case?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Parallelwoody posted:

Was there something reported about alcohol being a factor with Carter or are several people in here just adding what they think may be the case?

Mostly the Latter, but not the wildest assumption, considering there was a BAC above the legal limit in the people in the other car.

It's not that hard to extrapolate that if everyone was together. Then they started racing, that maybe just maybe Carter was also drinking with them. Since Carter ran, they'd have no hard number, and could only like extrapolate from interviewing people whereever they were leaving from.

Right now Carter is just being hit with Reckless Driving pretty much.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

McShay took a lot of heat back in December for calling out potential character concerns.

quote:

“With Carter, there are some character issues. Does he get along with everybody. What’s he like to deal with in the locker room, those sorts of issues. I know it’s early in the process, but I’m forewarning everybody out there. Carter is going to be a hot-button name when we talk about some of the intangible aspects of it.”

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Parallelwoody posted:

The story said the cops didn't see any visible signs that Carter was intoxicated.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Parallelwoody posted:

Dead guy had a .2 well after the crash. If they both left the same place at 2:30 and were racing together then kinda hard to not think Carter was also drunk

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Carter is still going top 5. They're misdemeanor charges

Whoa whoa whoa don’t bring reality into this buddy

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Diva Cupcake posted:

McShay took a lot of heat back in December for calling out potential character concerns.

As he probably should lol, those character concerns were before this event happened, and also specifically related to being a teammate, where like everyone seems to have gotten along pretty well with him by reports.

But hey, good on McShay for guessing right lol.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Dexo posted:

As he probably should lol, those character concerns were before this event happened, and also specifically related to being a teammate, where like everyone seems to have gotten along pretty well with him by reports.

I've been looking for the original story by McShay and can't find it. Was it really before this incident?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Sataere posted:

I've been looking for the original story by McShay and can't find it. Was it really before this incident?

https://247sports.com/Article/Georgia-DL-Jalen-Carter-has-character-issues-that-may-affect-2023-NFL-Draft-stock-Todd-McShay-says-200422872/

This incident happened in the middle of January.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Just lol at all the people victory lapping on McShay's behalf today.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/APGroover/status/1630975994805747733?s=20

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/breadmanjalen/status/1630994706795581440?t=K7s14xeWqQnS8IykhaQSMw&s=19

edit: Twitter is flagging it as sensitive content, but it's just a notepad screenshot (thanks Elon)

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Dexo posted:

I assume someone like McShay isn't outright guessing. He's connected to enough coaches and scouts that someone could have gotten in his ear about Carter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Man needs to learn from Zuckerberg and hire a bunch of 5'6" guys to walk around with him