Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

space uncle posted:

Kiddo was off to bedtime and it was mom’s night to read him books and tuck him in, I go to say goodnight to him and shut the door for them.

“Dada wait”
He runs over and I’m hoping he gives me a hug. He stops short.
“Dada, one kiss” he points to his cheek
I lean down and give him a kiss goodnight.

He laughs and runs back to mama. Gotta admit that one made me tear up, he’s never asked for a kiss from me before.

There is -- LITERALLY -- nothing better in this hell world than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

A Big... Dog posted:

There is -- LITERALLY -- nothing better in this hell world than that.

Yeah :3: My little dude has been very huggy and kissy lately and I never want this phase to end!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

we had a really bad storm a few months ago that terrified my son, and now any time it rains at night he freaks out and begs to sleep with me. granted it was pretty scary, lots of lightning and very loud thunder, and even the sound of the rain was very loud. definitely understandable that i would make an almost 3 year old afraid. weirdly enough he likes rain during the daytime.

anyway last night was the nadir, he *thought* it was raining (it was not raining) and started screaming and begging to sleep with me. i had to like take him out into the back yard and walk around for a while to show that, no, look, it's not raining. he calmed down but, in a funny twist, refused to admit he was wrong - like i'd be like "see it's totally dry out here" and he'd say "no daddy its a little bit wet". he went back to sleep but it ate up like half an hour of my precious, precious sleep.

getting them both out the door went very smoothly again today, i am feeling good about parental leave. i had everything sterilized and packed and ready to go for my daughter, as well as all the pumping equipment for my wife to take to work. once i go back to work the workload is going to have to shift to some degree but i'm glad to be able to make things as simple as i can for my wife as she returns to work.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

carrionman posted:

Yeah, the current thinking is that maybe something from my wife's diet is coming through and upsetting her stomach. So we're cutting different foods out to see.
We've spoke to our pediatrician, and it seems to be that they're thinking it's not directly a sleep issue, as she sleeps like a champ during the day.
As evidence, when my wife was sick for a day and didn't eat anything other than toast and water we got a 3hr sleep form the little girl.
It's just a slow process. And I'm so tired

It's worth a try but from what I understand it takes a long time for allergens to properly leave your wife's body/breast milk. As in it takes weeks, so one day of only eating water/bread shouldn't have made a difference given a normal diet. It may be different if your wife scarfs down a bunch of hot peppers every day but I'm guessing she doesn't.

(we looked into this when our baby (at 4-6 months or so) would occasionally be crying with pain randomly during the day, this stopped by itself after a while and was probably her developing digestive system acting up a bit)

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

SixFigureSandwich posted:

It's worth a try but from what I understand it takes a long time for allergens to properly leave your wife's body/breast milk. As in it takes weeks, so one day of only eating water/bread shouldn't have made a difference given a normal diet. It may be different if your wife scarfs down a bunch of hot peppers every day but I'm guessing she doesn't.

(we looked into this when our baby (at 4-6 months or so) would occasionally be crying with pain randomly during the day, this stopped by itself after a while and was probably her developing digestive system acting up a bit)

My niece had terrible gas that stopped her from sleeping , and eliminating onions of all things made it better the next day, according to my sister-in-law. So anecdotally, I think some sensitivities could be seen pretty immediately.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
It's getting close to time to turn my kid around to a forward facing car seat. Would still like to leave him in the middle, but that leaves the problem of the rear hvac controls being kicked all to hell. Anybody got any product recommendations to cover those up?

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
How do you gentle parent an almost four year old who completely ignores everything you say, particularly when they really need to listen? Specifically, my daughter bolts every time we go somewhere out of the house, even just from the door to the car. She takes off down the block and will sometimes turn the corner and keep going. I can’t take her places lately like the aquarium because she’s just gone, running around. Today at the beach she took off her boots and gloves and was running far away from me (not okay because there’s still snow and ice everywhere). At home it’s constant boundary testing. Constant.

I can deal with the boundary testing, but I absolutely hate when she takes off running, especially since I have to run after her carrying my other kid and if we are in public it’s embarrassing and scary. I haven’t ever not known where she is but she Will. Not. Listen. I can yell for her to come back but it doesn’t matter, then I’m just the parent yelling at their naughty kid.

E: My son was cranky all day and he explained himself by projectile vomiting all over the kitchen table at dinner time.

Koivunen fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 8, 2023

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Does she have any other behavioral issues? How is she in school?

The clinical term for that is elopement (I say this to make googling easier) and it's really, really common in kids with autism.

Obviously I'm just some rando off the internet who knows very little about your daughter, but that behavior is obviously really bad and not age appropriate, so if it doesn't improve it may be worth a discussion with a professional.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
My son likes to take off running too. I think it's him being silly. He'll usually stop when he gets uncomfortably far away.

This has been going on for a while, but around Christmas he watched the Home Alone movies and so now my wife explains that if he runs he'll get lost and he'll end up on the wrong airplane and bad guys. He's not very good with consequences yet, but he recognizes that's not a good consequence and so running away from us is not good for him for his own sake (no poo poo).

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The creature report from Octonauts never quite fully leaves my head

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Now it's back in mine gently caress You :argh:

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Koivunen posted:

How do you gentle parent an almost four year old who completely ignores everything you say, particularly when they really need to listen? Specifically, my daughter bolts every time we go somewhere out of the house, even just from the door to the car. She takes off down the block and will sometimes turn the corner and keep going. I can’t take her places lately like the aquarium because she’s just gone, running around. Today at the beach she took off her boots and gloves and was running far away from me (not okay because there’s still snow and ice everywhere). At home it’s constant boundary testing. Constant.

I can deal with the boundary testing, but I absolutely hate when she takes off running, especially since I have to run after her carrying my other kid and if we are in public it’s embarrassing and scary. I haven’t ever not known where she is but she Will. Not. Listen. I can yell for her to come back but it doesn’t matter, then I’m just the parent yelling at their naughty kid.

E: My son was cranky all day and he explained himself by projectile vomiting all over the kitchen table at dinner time.

We’ve used two tactics: a kiddo leash to mitigate the immediate danger, and then explaining the actual danger of taking off in a way my kid (3 at the time) could understand and internalize. It sunk in pretty quickly for us, but I know that kids especially who aren’t neurotypical will likely have a different experience here.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Slaan posted:

Now it's back in mine gently caress You :argh:

We're done with the mission. :troll:

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I just got tricked by one of those loving content-spammer animation house YouTube channels that makes disturbing kids videos because I thought it was another content spammer animation house YouTube channels that just makes dumb kids videos and now I'm stuck with a kid too scared to sleep

gently caress you, I just wanted to finish another half hour of work

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Was it Peppa Pig goes to the dentist?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

G-Spot Run posted:

I just got tricked by one of those loving content-spammer animation house YouTube channels that makes disturbing kids videos because I thought it was another content spammer animation house YouTube channels that just makes dumb kids videos and now I'm stuck with a kid too scared to sleep

gently caress you, I just wanted to finish another half hour of work

Seriously, who goes out of their way to make this poo poo? I was watching some construction vehicles video with my two year old, and a ways into it suddenly this monster comes on and starts biting the vehicle and blood splatter starts spraying on the screen, then it shifts to a first person shooter Doom-like view and starts shooting the monster. I quickly turned it off, thankfully, but what the gently caress? I mean, I’ve read about this phenomenon, but seriously who sits down and decides to make something like that. I keep the kids mostly to Netflix and Prime but once in a while they want something in YouTube (probably after seeing it with their less vigilant grandparents).

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Muir posted:

Seriously, who goes out of their way to make this poo poo? I was watching some construction vehicles video with my two year old, and a ways into it suddenly this monster comes on and starts biting the vehicle and blood splatter starts spraying on the screen, then it shifts to a first person shooter Doom-like view and starts shooting the monster. I quickly turned it off, thankfully, but what the gently caress? I mean, I’ve read about this phenomenon, but seriously who sits down and decides to make something like that. I keep the kids mostly to Netflix and Prime but once in a while they want something in YouTube (probably after seeing it with their less vigilant grandparents).

To be honest I wouldn't have put it past these very forums twenty years ago. So I think the answer is either edgelord 16-20 year olds OR inscrutable content farms that somehow monetize it.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
I haven’t had that problem with YouTube yet but yea that seems to be the problem with it in general. I have been limiting it to playlist only content from known kid channels with millions of views. No random searching and selecting videos.

FreeSchool seems to have good animal videos fwiw. The shark video is the current favorite.

Besides this channel, searching for shark videos for kids gives mostly garbage results.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
We 100% do not let them touch YouTube. If there’s something they want to watch like dominoes, Lego contraptions, hot wheels tracks, etc, we pull it up on our phones and cast to the tv, they are never in control.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I keep absolutely no oversight over what my kid watches on youtube and he's absolutely going to 100% get burned one day. So far nothing serious has come up, though I've put a manual block on a few borderline things.

Eh, I'll just let the internet ruin him the same way it ruined me. Maybe by the time he's 16 we'll share a bonding moment over a man's stretched out anus.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

Koivunen posted:

How do you gentle parent an almost four year old who completely ignores everything you say

Is there anything leading up to her bolting or any locations or anything where it happens more often? I would say that gentle parenting might be a little less gentle seeming in these situations where safety comes up.

We have really hard lines around that where she is warned in advance if x happens (running and not listening in unsafe situations) then y will happen (kid leash on, leave fun activity, ride in the cart, etc.). This often sucks for me to implement but it has cut it down on it pretty dramatically for us when she knew I wasn't kidding about it.

That said, a lot of it is impulse control which just is something that needs time to develop (and as has been mentioned is more of a struggle in neurodivergent kids). Try and set them up for success and not give them freedom in a place where you know they are gonna bolt.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Can I buy stock in dreft stain remover? I have cleaned more poopy clothes and pj's this week alone than in the entirety of my kids life up to this point.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Was it Peppa Pig goes to the dentist?

Worse. Minecraft videos. They're already so deeply stupid and inscrutable to me I added the loving channel to an approved-content-only kids profile because it was faking being another channel that is usually alright. Kid will have to make do with the story mode show on Netflix.

And yeah, grandparents gonna getcha. This is where this Minecraft poo poo started.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i exercise full control over my son's youtube watching, the things i really try to avoid are the loving toy unboxing videos and just generally people playing with toys. bad vibes.

he really loves buster the bus and tractor ted. they aren't high art but they're fine.

Sweet Gulch
May 8, 2007

That metaphor just went somewhere horrible.
Youtube is also a with-parents-only thing in our house. Even so, my 8yo had nightmares because of some hamster obstacle course video once, when zombies showed up. He's had a fear of zombies for years (but loves Minecraft and will tolerate them in that context only).

My 4yo will yell "Ad. Ad! ADDDD" at the TV commercials when we visit Grandma's house. Sorry kiddo, I'm not being slow, there's just no skipping those!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

"no I want tiny chicken nugget. I don't want that"
//Pulls out virtually identical chicken nugget from opaque bag
"This nugget?"
"Yeah"

Edit: YouTube premium is easily worth the $15 a month just to not expose our toddler to ads

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
When our son was born my wife was all about no screen time, and of course that eventually relaxed, but I'm primary caregiver and I control exactly what he watches on streaming services and try to ask him questions and interact about what he sees. But my wife takes over for the hour between dinner and bedtime and when I come in he's just zoned out watching hamsters on YouTube go through mazes with graphics of zombies and aliens superimposed over it? This is my fault for having a YouTube profile on his tablet in addition to the yt kids app, which I did cause someone made his own voiceless Thomas train shorts in his back yard with this super elaborate setup, but it was so old it predated tagging as kids content so it wasn't in the kids app. Thomas rules when there's no dialog and Sir Capitalist Topham Pig.

Edit: hah beaten to the hamster maze zombies. My son now loves zombies because I got him into The Aquabats so he's been watching the Fashion Zombies music video. So his idea of zombies are goth kids with glowing pink eyes.

davebo fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 8, 2023

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My older kid was a dasher. We had a cute dino backpack with a leash and that helped him be free but not get lost. Our younger kid has wanderlust. He doesn't sprint away but likes to meander.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

lobster shirt posted:

i exercise full control over my son's youtube watching, the things i really try to avoid are the loving toy unboxing videos and just generally people playing with toys. bad vibes.

he really loves buster the bus and tractor ted. they aren't high art but they're fine.

Oh man, my 2 year old’s current obsession is a Pokémon toy unboxing video. She watched the Pokémon Presents video with me last week and became obsessed with robot pikachu, so I tried to show her other pikachu videos. She wanted to watch one with a toy pikachu that was an unboxing of some little chocolate eggs and Pokémon figurines. Now she just wants to watch that video on repeat and is picking up the Baby Shark song in the background.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Our kid doesn't know youtube exists but she looooves flipping through cat video reels on instagram. That's a parents only thing though, because she gets upset when the viewing algorithm shuffles things away into the void and wants to save each one.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
My kid is addicted to watching the beginning of the little mermaid and then sea beast. She loves it when ships sink. She is a weirdo.

Frog and Toad
Jul 31, 2008

My kid wants to see pictures of herself and her toys and then pictures that don’t exist but she thinks should exist

It’s very annoying. We don’t have a TV and haven’t really introduced her to video in the house yet (it’s something that exists in other peoples’ houses) but it’s only a matter of time.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
I took a video like a month ago of my partner sitting at the bottom of a slide so his son could slide down and “kick him in DA BUTT”

So that’s kiddo’s favorite endless source of comedy these days.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

My son lost his poo poo crying because I used my left hand to push a boat. He tried to make me use my right and I'm like nah, that's arbitrary af. He's not having that.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

I had to change the child's pants because she complained the first ones I picked were too cold. drat you goldilocks, you've poisoned her brain...

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I'd pay good money for pants that stayed cold

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

I'd pay good money for pants that stayed cold

:hai:

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

lobster shirt posted:

Buster the Bus, Tractor Ted, Trash Truck, Firebuds, are big hits here.

The king right now is Leo the Truck, which apparently started as a remarkably low quality Russian cartoon. Seasons 2 through 4 improve significantly. I wanted to get my kid a Leo toy because he talks about it constantly, but it’s just niche enough that nobody sells them, or maybe the Leo toy factory got repurposed for the Russian war effort.

Anyway some other nerd dad had the same problem so I took his 3D models and just 3D printed them. Turned out pretty good.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

dismas posted:

My kid wants to see pictures of herself and her toys and then pictures that don’t exist but she thinks should exist

It’s very annoying. We don’t have a TV and haven’t really introduced her to video in the house yet (it’s something that exists in other peoples’ houses) but it’s only a matter of time.

my son sometimes insists on watching mommy and daddy, or his friends from daycare, on tv. like sorry man that show doesn't exist! we cannot watch that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

For a while, my daughter's daily life was a YouTube video that her stuffed animals would watch from home. So they'd be gathered around the tablet "watching" her while she was at Pre-K.