Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/nflrookiewatxh/status/1634380775494766594?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

I am so absolutely loving pumped right now.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Tepper :lol: get the gently caress out of here loving hedge fund dildo.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
They traded all that and still don’t know who the gently caress they’re picking??

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

They were both for sure going to be gone by #9 and there was the risk if they'd waited to make the trade until they were sure, the Bears would have found another taker (the Bears absolutely would have found another taker). Now they have the pick and time to figure it out if they're still currently conflicted on who's the better option/fit

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the bears are going to have a functioning offense this time

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Abugadu posted:

They traded all that and still don’t know who the gently caress they’re picking??

yeah, If you know you are going to pick one of them, you know where you are drafting you have no chance.

You get the thing that allows you to pick whoever you want and then you can finish evaluation.

Also Lying Szn.

They are probably picking Stroud.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Abugadu posted:

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Tepper :lol: get the gently caress out of here loving hedge fund dildo.

C'mon bros, Tepper is clearly playing a role here.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Carolina could be playing a long game where they trade up to 1 with the hopes that Houston will now try to trade with them to move up to that spot, and Carolina still likely gets their guy. I have no clue who Houston has been favoring though.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

SKULL.GIF posted:

C'mon bros, Tepper is clearly playing a role here.

On the other hand, hedge fund billionaires are bitch-baby scumbags, so…

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Is Stroud over Bryce really that obvious?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Bryce Young is smaller than Kyler Murray.

I can't fault GM's/owners for thinking he's gonna explode into a bloody mist less than two years into his rookie contract.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

MJeff posted:

Is Stroud over Bryce really that obvious?

Yes. Young's a much bigger risk. If you ignore past preconceptions about Ohio State QBs, then Stroud looks extremely good here.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

MacheteZombie posted:

It's alright the bears will get themselves a top 10 pick

The game against the panthers will he fun because it won't matter who wins for drafting purposes

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Paracaidas posted:

As to the teardown, I really don't see a credible playoff team if either Smith departs and if both go, that definitely makes the Vikings one of the worst teams in the conference?

Za'Darius was invisible in the second half, losing Kendricks was a bigger blow to the defense than losing him will be

cool trade for Da Bears

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Dexo posted:

Vikings will continue to be a pretty good team, that until they figure out a defense has no chance at elevating past Kirk's Limits.

Lamar Jackson for Kirk Cousins and a pick, who says no?

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Adun posted:

Lamar Jackson for Kirk Cousins and a pick, who says no?

Wilfs

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

What pick do the Vikings get?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/Vikings/status/1634604808320557056?t=q6w7jYRyjj6_eOk3D279nw&s=19

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Are you really shocked a 95 yo died

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

R.D. Mangles posted:

the bears are going to have a functioning offense this time

Charlie Brown runs a 4.3, he'll get to the ball this time

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

brugroffil posted:

Are you really shocked a 95 yo died

Normal 95 year old? No. Bud Grant? Yes.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Yea Bud Grant was probably in better health than your average 50 yo Packers fan.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

SirPablo posted:

Yea Bud Grant was probably in better health than your median midwestener
He'll finally get to wear short sleeves again when the Vikings win the superbowl though

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Getting DJ Moore was so loving huge. Claypool as a #3 WR is not bad at all. Now the Bears just need to pick up some guys who can block and their offense might actually be decent. They should be able to outbid anyone on the FA market. I just have no idea if the pool of free agent OLs is any good.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

One of the great things about Bud was the way he managed to hack off Vince Lombardi.
https://www.si.com/nfl/2016/02/01/nfl-mmqb-bud-grant-minnesota-vikings-super-bowl-losses-vince-lombardi-disklike

Grant: Okay, well, Lombardi and I didn’t get along. He’s a tyrant, and he coached that way. Great coach, but he coached with fear, and he treated everybody—whether you’re the president or the secretary of the club—with bombastic fear. I had three occasions where I dealt with Lombardi.

Lombardi vs. Grant: Round 1

There’s a player from Minnesota who was drafted by Green Bay in 1960 named Mike Wright. He later became the CEO of SuperValu [a Minnesota-based supermarket conglomerate]. I went to the Senior Bowl and signed him. I talked to Mike about coming to Winnipeg. We paid more money—not a lot, but enough. And he could finish his law degree because the CFL dates worked out better. He called Lombardi (who drafted him in the sixth round) and said, “I’m going to Winnipeg.” So Lombardi called me and chewed me out. He said, “Why would he want to play in a Mickey Mouse league like the CFL?!” He was very vulgar and agitated. I said, “Well, I’m sorry, but I’m not sorry. I think it’s in his best interest.” And Lombardi says, ‘Well you no good son of a… blah blah blah.”

Lombardi vs. Grant: Round 2

Dale Hackbart played quarterback for Wisconsin. And Green Bay drafts him. He’s an independent guy, so he decided he’s going to go play pro baseball. We kept track of him. Of course, in baseball you don’t start at the top, so he played Class D baseball, all the way at the bottom. Baseball has a goofy mentality. It’s like you have to pay your dues, because major league baseball is so elite. So he played in St. Cloud, Grand Forks, Sioux Falls. He played at Winnipeg early in the year, and I went to see him play, and I didn’t see a baseball player in him. I said, “How’s it going?” and he said, “Oh, it’s going great, the guys are fun.” He’s riding the bus, singing songs and all that kind of stuff.

A month later he came back to Winnipeg for a series. I saw him at the first game, and he’s hitting about .240, and in that league you have to do better than that. They rained out the second game. Now they’re on the bus going back to Eau Claire. I said, “When did the bus leave?” They said, “Oh, about an hour ago.” So I called the border guys and said, “Stop the bus. Don’t let the bus go through there ’til I get there.” I knew some of the guys down there at customs. So they held up the bus, and I get down there and they’re all sleeping on the bus.

“Dale, get your bag.”

“What for?”

“You’re done playing baseball.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, you’re not gonna make it in baseball. If they won’t tell you, I will. So get your bag. We’re going back to Winnipeg.”

So he took his bag off the bus, went back to Winnipeg, signed the contract. We started earlier, so training camp was right around the corner. Lombardi heard about it and called and said, “I can’t get ahold of Hackbart.” I said, “Well what do you want?” He said, “Get him down here! We drafted him!” I said, “Yeah, but we signed him.” Lombardi went ballistic again. Chewed me out like it was my fault.

Lombardi vs. Grant: Round 3

So the story you probably heard is Fuzzy Thurston. He’s an all-time favorite Packer, and he owned a tavern when he was done. Everybody knew Fuzzy. Before that he played in Cleveland, and I had some friends in Cleveland, and I needed an O-lineman, so they released him, and I called him on the phone right away. He was upset, and I said, “Well Fuzzy, do you want to keep playing?” And he said yes, and I said, “Well, get on a plane and come to Winnipeg. We’ll pay you just as much as Cleveland.” He practiced for a week, and we didn’t have roster room that week, but we were going to activate him for the next ball game. Well, I get a call from Lombardi.

Lombardi: “We’re trying to locate this Thurston guy. Somebody said he’s in Winnipeg, and we can’t get a number for him.”

Grant: “Well, what do you want him for?”

Lombardi: “We got an injury, and we want him.”

Grant: “Well, he’s with us.”

Lombardi: “Oh, for Christ’s sake, who wants to play up there?”

As it turned out the guy who Fuzzy was going to replace was just about well enough that he was going to play that week or the next week. And I hadn’t seen enough of Thurston to make a definitive assessment. So I said, “Vince, is he going to start with you?” Vince said, “Well, Christ, we got a guy down. We need a guy. Just send him down here!” I said, “No, Vince, we’re not your farm club. I’ll tell you what I’ll do—I’ll talk to him.” So Fuzzy said, “I think I can play in the National Football League.”

I called Vince and said, “I talked to Fuzzy, and I’ll give you a number, but first of all we’ve got some expenses up here. We paid his way up here, paid a per diem, so that’s about $500. Plus he’s got a plane ticket, plus—now I was being facetious—we’re acting as his agent, so we’ll need $1,000 total before you get him. I’ll release him when you wire the money. He said, “Well, you no good son of a bitch,” and he went on and on. And he hung up on me. He called back and said, “OK, fine.” The best part of the story is that Fuzzy was one of their all-time great players. I saw Fuzzy a lot after that, and every time he saw me he would give me a big hug.

Lombardi vs. Grant: Round 4.

So my first year with the Vikings, the first game I ever won as an NFL coach, was against the defending champion Packers in Milwaukee. We beat them in a very close game, and I think we only threw for about 80 yards, played good defense, ran the ball, got a couple breaks and won. After the game we’re walking off the field. I’ve always shaken hands after games, but your heart’s not in it. It’s a ceremony. So I put my hand out, and he wouldn’t even shake hands with me. And that was the last time I ever talked to him.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

King

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

:rubby:

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Getting DJ Moore was so loving huge. Claypool as a #3 WR is not bad at all. Now the Bears just need to pick up some guys who can block and their offense might actually be decent. They should be able to outbid anyone on the FA market. I just have no idea if the pool of free agent OLs is any good.

It's not, especially in the tackle area.

Now.. the Bears have so much cap room they could do some inventive poo poo like trade a pick for a sign-and-trade of someone who needs the cap space

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

adaz posted:

Now.. the Bears have so much cap room they could do some inventive poo poo like trade a pick for a sign-and-trade of someone who needs the cap space

I'd argue the tackles in free agency are amongst the strongest position in free agency. This is more indicative of free agency than the strength of the tackles, but it is probably one of the best places to improve a team.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/nfl_dovkleiman/status/1634594639234707457?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

GNU Order posted:

The NFC is so bad though. Go look at that schedule

It rarely matters how good or bad the teams in the division are, they still manage to steal games off of each other.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

He will nix the deal AND refuse to retire because he is spite incarnate.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1634636162517041153

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

That's what a framework is tho

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

adaz posted:

lmao what?

There are like 5 good to very good tackles on the market.

There's no like prime orlando pace or whatever. But Brown is very good, McGlinchy is good, Taylor is good, McGary is good, Powers is good. all still under 28.

edit: 4, bleh Powers is a guard. bad memory.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Dexo posted:

lmao what?

There's no like prime orlando pace or whatever. But Brown is very good, McGlinchy is good, Taylor is good, McGary is good, Powers is good. all still under 28.

I'll take 3

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
lol

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

That's what a framework is tho

No it isn’t? A framework is the structure of the deal that would be written into a contract. All they’ve done is agree to work on a trade if Rodgers decides he wants one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Dexo posted:

lmao what?

edit: 4, bleh Powers is a guard. bad memory.

Brown is good, but inconsistent. McGlinchey is solid at run blocking, but atrocious at pass protection. Taylor is good as pass pro, but not so good in the run game. But for free agency, everyone is going to be flawed because if they weren't, they wouldn't be free agents.