Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Something like these are my favorite for intermittent wearing (put them on, use the tool, take them off) because they stay put around your neck and you can put them on/off in one quick motion unlike corded earplugs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Thank you all for the suggestions :)

Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007

BeAuMaN posted:

Doesn't quite beat out the Prime Day camera price mistake but it's probably second to that for me (or third)!

Was that the 80% off deal for those (ballpark) $6000 telephoto lenses? I was talking to a SD mod and he claimed someone got about 15, resold them all and bought a Tesla. Pinnacle of the craft.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Doodarazumas posted:

Was that the 80% off deal for those (ballpark) $6000 telephoto lenses? I was talking to a SD mod and he claimed someone got about 15, resold them all and bought a Tesla. Pinnacle of the craft.
It was a lot of stuff. Cameras, lenses, telescopes, and the like. One (or more) person(s) snagged a ~$13,000 telephoto lens. The key thing is everything was marked down to $94.48. In my case I got both a Sony A9 and a Sony a6000 bundle (came with 16-50mm and 210mm power zoom lenses, along with bag and memory card).

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost
I feel like this question comes up every couple months, but what’s the name of those punches that correspond to specific drill bits so you can center punch a hole to start drilling with? Hopefully someone can make sense of my lousy description

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug
Transfer punches?

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost
I thiiink so .. let’s say I want to install cabinet hardware and I have precisely marked where I want the 1/8” hole to be. I select the corresponding 1/8” punch, place the point where I want the center of the hole to be, and set the punch. Is that the intended use case for these transfer punches?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
No, I think you're talking about self centering drill bits.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

lil poopendorfer posted:

I thiiink so .. let’s say I want to install cabinet hardware and I have precisely marked where I want the 1/8” hole to be. I select the corresponding 1/8” punch, place the point where I want the center of the hole to be, and set the punch. Is that the intended use case for these transfer punches?

These are for transferring an existing hole of a specified diameter to an underlying piece of material.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I don't know about anything specific to different drill bits, but an automatic center punch is a common tool for marking where you want to drill so that the tip of the bit doesn't move as soon as you start drilling

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If you just want to make a dent to mark the spot where you will start drilling then you don’t need an entire set of punches. The set above is for when you have an existing hole with a specified size and you want to use it to lay out a matching hole in an underlying piece of material. You use the correct one from the set so it transfers the center of your existing hole to the new material.

If you are laying out the hole from measurements instead then the size of the center punch doesn’t matter.

withak fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 14, 2023

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I think a spring loaded center punch is what you're looking for: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-6-in-Automatic-Spring-Loaded-Center-Hole-Punch-70079H/302880581

Place the point where you want the hole, press down, and the punch effectively gives itself the equivalent of a whack with a mallet.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

FISHMANPET posted:

No, I think you're talking about self centering drill bits.

No those are for installing hinges & hardware so that the screw seats perfectly. I think those transfer punches are what I was looking for, but I may have to dig itt a bit more

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

withak posted:

If you just want to make a dent to mark the spot where you will start drilling then you don’t need an entire set of punches. The set above is for when you have an existing hole with a specified size and you want to use it to lay out a matching hole in an underlying piece of material. You use the correct one from the set so it transfers the center of your existing hole to the new material.

If you are laying out the hole from measurements instead then the size of the center punch doesn’t matter.

In a sense, this is what you’re doing for hardware. The hardware has a given size hole and you wanna match it in the material to which it will be fastened. A regular punch without a pointy tip isn’t as accurate, especially for anything bigger than like 1/8”

Strictly necessary? No, and I’ve done plenty of cabinets with just a regular punch and other people I’ve seen don’t even use that. But a set is $12 at Harbor Freight and it satisfies the faux OCD within me, so I’ll give it a “whack” :haw:

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
Looking for some advice on hopefully levelling out and repairing a meh miter saw. I suspect buying a new one makes more sense, but I've got the time to burn on trying to make this thing workable. I also don't have a need for it all that often so can take my time here.

It has two problems:

1) The rotating and fixed parts of the table are not level.
2) The locking handle for the bevel adjustment doesn't work. Doesn't seem to do anything. The bolt went missing at some point, so it couldn't even be fixed square easily. I attempted to just replace the bolt but I stripped it, over tightening I assume.

Is it possible to salvage this? Here's some pictures of the locking mechanism:

The Spookmaster
Sep 9, 2002

I'm somewhat invested in the dewalt battery line, but I'd love to pick up some tools that I may not use as often. Does anybody have any experience with any of those deawlt battery - Bauer tool adapters on ebay or Amazon?

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I need a garden hose nozzle/sprayer that will last more than one season. I'm not nice to them. I drop them on the concrete, leave them in the hot sun. I try to avoid letting them freeze with water in them.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

NomNomNom posted:

I need a garden hose nozzle/sprayer that will last more than one season. I'm not nice to them. I drop them on the concrete, leave them in the hot sun. I try to avoid letting them freeze with water in them.

There are two approaches to hoses and hose attachments: buy nice ones and take care of them or buy cheap ones and lose/abuse them. I buy nice hoses because the fancy ones don’t kink but I buy lovely sprayers seemingly every year because I break or lose them. There must be 10 of them buried in the mulch in my yard somewhere. Since you’re an abuser, just buy cheap ones and plan on replacing them unless you really think you’ll change your ways (you won’t)

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

NomNomNom posted:

Gonna disagree with kaiser and say that if you buy a simple brass sprayer, it will last forever. The type where your spray pattern is just determined by how hard you squeeze the handle. No, you won't get the mist setting, or the gentle rain setting, or the whatever setting, but it will work forever.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

NomNomNom posted:

What are you spraying? If it's lawn products, a backpack sprayer is much better IMO and way more consistent.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Slugworth posted:

Gonna disagree with kaiser and say that if you buy a simple brass sprayer, it will last forever. The type where your spray pattern is just determined by how hard you squeeze the handle. No, you won't get the mist setting, or the gentle rain setting, or the whatever setting, but it will work forever.
Same, but the old tymey firehose nozzle. The metal ones are really hard to kill and also still pretty cheap.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Rubber/vinyl + uv = cracked rubber. You have to hide it from the sun if you want it to last. Spend your money accordingly.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

These have been pretty beefy and lasted a few years now. I expect the partly plastic one to crap out sooner or later but the full metal one should just go indefinitely

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NW5DXLQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

stealie72 posted:

Same, but the old tymey firehose nozzle. The metal ones are really hard to kill and also still pretty cheap.

I have not seen one of those since Hector (me) was a pup. Gosh darnit, I bet the old-timey hardware store here carries them too. I don't abuse the plastic ones, they're just made to crap out.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Huh, apparently these are no longer an in-store item. Got mine maybe 6 years ago and there was a box of them along with the $20 plastic ones.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Melnor-Metal-Hose-Nozzle-505S/203136335

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

stealie72 posted:

Yeah, I began to try to describe this style as well, but didn't land on anything as descriptive as old tymey firehose, so I gave up and :justpost:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Slugworth posted:

Yeah, I began to try to describe this style as well, but didn't land on anything as descriptive as old tymey firehose, so I gave up and :justpost:
Really can't go wrong with either of the hose attachments that grandpa cleaned the driveway with.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Yeah the best I've tried is the classic melnor pistol grip nozzle. Lasted two years.

Similar vein, anyone have any garden hose thread quick disconnects that are worth the case? No leaks?

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
I haven't tried their sprayer tools but I will bet the ones from Eley are fantastic - https://www.eleyhosereels.com/

Been using their hose reels and hoses for years, got my family on them too. Ponied up for the couplers last year and I think they will last about forever, too. Those are clunky and big though. This is very much a you get what you pay for kinda thing. The hoses I have abused and left in the sun, and they still don't leak, they don't kink, they do kink nicely when you want them to, and the hose reels don't rust or complain and just work, year after year.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've had these for a few years with no problems.
https://www.menards.com/main/p-1444427378873.htm

I think Yardworks is a Menards house brand, but they're solid brass and pretty inexpensive. They've got "kits" like that or you can buy the pieces aka carte. I actually had a male to male adapter that leaked basically immediately and after a year or two I just replaced it with two quick connects because they don't leak. Pretty much every end of every hose or accessory of mine has one of these.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

There are two approaches to hoses and hose attachments: buy nice ones and take care of them or buy cheap ones and lose/abuse them. I buy nice hoses because the fancy ones don’t kink but I buy lovely sprayers seemingly every year because I break or lose them. There must be 10 of them buried in the mulch in my yard somewhere. Since you’re an abuser, just buy cheap ones and plan on replacing them unless you really think you’ll change your ways (you won’t)

Which hose did you get? I've yet to find one that doesn't kink.

(To be fair, the decent ones I have only really kink in winter when I'm resurfacing the skating rink. No issues in summer)

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

Raised by Hamsters posted:

I haven't tried their sprayer tools but I will bet the ones from Eley are fantastic - https://www.eleyhosereels.com/

Been using their hose reels and hoses for years, got my family on them too. Ponied up for the couplers last year and I think they will last about forever, too. Those are clunky and big though. This is very much a you get what you pay for kinda thing. The hoses I have abused and left in the sun, and they still don't leak, they don't kink, they do kink nicely when you want them to, and the hose reels don't rust or complain and just work, year after year.

This looks like exactly what I want. Ordered the sprayer and quick connects, will report back.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
One of my fancy Ryobi HP 18v batteries is not charging even though it's less than a year old (blinking red on multiple chargers).

Do I just take it back to HD with a printout of the order receipt, or do I need to do something through Ryobi?

Edit, if it matters, it was part of a 3-battery kit from a "buy batteries, get a free tool" deal last June. I don't need to return all three batteries since the SKU is three batteries, do I?

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 24, 2023

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

stealie72 posted:

One of my fancy Ryobi HP 18v batteries is not charging even though it's less than a year old (blinking red on multiple chargers).

Do I just take it back to HD with a printout of the order receipt, or do I need to do something through Ryobi?

Edit, if it matters, it was part of a 3-battery kit from a "buy batteries, get a free tool" deal last June. I don't need to return all three batteries since the SKU is three batteries, do I?

I would try to do all 3 if you can, get a free refresh out of it.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

I would try to do all 3 if you can, get a free refresh out of it.
Now that is thinking. . .

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

NomNomNom posted:

This looks like exactly what I want. Ordered the sprayer and quick connects, will report back.

Those look pretty good, haven't seen them before. I've settled on the slightly smaller solid brass quick connects that Lee Valley and some others sell. They're getting ridiculously expensive but they last for years and if they start leaking the seal is easy to replace. The best price now is a local irrigation shop that caters to professional landscapers.

Everything else available in town is junk. Home Depot used to sell solid brass fittings that worked well (and were compatible with the Lee Valley couplers) but the MBAs worked their magic and they started using pot metal instead. And don't get me started on the lack of standardization. :bahgawd:

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017
I wonder if air hose fittings would work?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

stealie72 posted:

Find receipt.. hope you got the e-receipt or Lol.
talk to ryobi chat..
They'll tell you which store(s) in your area are authorized repair places
Take it to the tool rental desk there and some guy'll look at it and go yup
then you get a new one in store unless they want to "repair" it

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

stealie72 posted:

I've read different things; it depends on how much your local Home Depot wants to help you out. Home Depot is the "exclusive" dealer for Ryobi but they don't have any requirement to deal with warranty issues afaik (unless it's within the 30 day return period, or 1 year for HD card holders). I've read sometimes their tool rental desk is treated as an official repair center but no one really "repairs" batteries.

Here's the contact for support: https://www.ryobitools.com/support/contact
I've heard contact by phone isn't so great, but YMMV.

And here's the warranty documentation: https://www.ryobitools.com/support/warranties

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

NomNomNom posted:

I'm curious how well those flow. I'm mostly using plastic Gilmour fittings, which are definitely going to fail within 1-3 seasons, because all the brass ones I've tried were to restrictive and I've found they lead to a noticeable drop in pressure whereas the plastic Gilmour's at least flow well.