Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

His Divine Shadow posted:

You ever heard of this thing called continental drift?

Is it like a continental breakfast?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Since we got brexit done, its been nothing but blue skies and plain sailing

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

aniviron posted:

Wait did I skip a page? When did you move the house somewhere with blue skies and plants that like warm weather? I thought this was all going on in the UK.

That's probably just an AI image

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

quote:

drainage on the menage
Which Ali-Frasier fight was that?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Depending which neighbours it is (assuming the fence mover), menage-a-twat might be more apt.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
As long as you're showing that the water is being re-used in the pond, what you've done is actually higher up the sustainable drainage hierarchy than soakaways or sewers. To ensure the EA look the same way at it, I think you need to buy a jetski.

Harking back several pages earlier, you've put a check valve on your incoming supply? I once had a plumber fit one in my flat downstream of the stop valve because he was a loving arsehole and rather than cutting a bit of pipe and brazing it on he bodged in whatever right sized spare bit he had in the toolkit- a check valve. Then made up some poo poo about it being good practice.

It was after he left and I turned the shower on that I realised they can resonate at high flow rates and make a screaming noise.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I've got a dinghy!

The double check valve on the incoming supply is a requirement. Certainly they insisted on the temporary building supply having one and wouldn't connect me until they came out and inspected it.

Like they don't want my potentially dirty, untrustworthy water sneaking back up into the mains and poisoning the other villagers. Realistically, the valve is like 100m from the water meter up by the road so it would need to be some serious backwash to get into anyone else's pipes, and like why dont they put their own valve in there if its so important? I have seen people complaining about them reducing the pressure but I dunno, there doesn't seem to be much alternative. I guess these things can always go missing after the whole thing is signed off if its a problem.

The shower and bath mixers have their own non return valves so that like if you drop the shower wand thing into a full smelly used bath the water can't get back into the house pipework and accidentally be used to brush your teeth or drink it or whatever.

What I haven't done is put a non return valve on the new outdoor tap I've installed, which I guess I should for the same reason.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I lived in the outskirts of Atlanta when the water company went around and put backflow preventers on everyone's house. The only problem I ever had was explaining to everyone that came into Lowe's that they now needed an expansion tank so the water expanding in your water heater has somewhere to go and yes, I know you didn't used to need one but the city changed how your pipes work.

Only screaming I ever had involved the water company shutting off your service pretty much immediately if you ever forgot to pay your bill.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

His Divine Shadow posted:

You ever heard of this thing called continental drift?

I don't think Great Britain is going to drift anymore, not with those pilings anchoring it to the centre of the earth.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Cat Hatter posted:

Only screaming I ever had involved the water company shutting off your service pretty much immediately if you ever forgot to pay your bill.
Wow - they can do that? They're not allowed to do that to domestic customers here.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Angrymog posted:

Wow - they can do that? They're not allowed to do that to domestic customers here.

Depends on where you live. To my understanding you can usually get them to not turn it off if you have a reason you can't pay beyond "LOL, I don't want to". I've never dealt with that though, just "forgot to mail the check".

Where I now live in Michigan, if they're allowed to shut it off, they're a lot more lenient. The guy I bought my house from had something like $1800 in delinquent water bills he had to settle before he could sell the house.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Remember this photo

So it was a bit of a joke about hoisting myself into the loft to avoid admitting I'd made a tiny garage. But really thats the MVHR being lifted up into the loft. The MVHR unit that was ordered with a week or two lead time in late 2022 and was delivered... what a few weeks ago. Yeah.

Here it is up in the loft (attic? does loft mean a bunkbed to americans? I kinda remember that from my time at american university)

This was the rough plan

and so still what I want to do. I've deliberately chosen the MVHR (not HVAC thats my acronym blindness, which is a thing probably) with the ins and outs arranged at opposite ends to best accommodate my installation in the angled roof space as I wasn't sure I'd fit it in otherwise.

success. But its ridiculous. You cant access the control panel and theres a door panel you need to open to change filters. Just super dumb.

So hacking bits of insulation out of the ceiling and it goes in the right way round. It'll probably never come out. But I will have moved to a better shpaed house by the time its an issue hopefully.

You can see the pathetic chicken wing filters you need to pull out and change. The company that sold me it have send me some spare ones as an apology for the week delivery taking ?!?! 5 months. They sell other ones imbued with crystals and stuff. Pretty normal.

Here's what the unit looks like installed underneath. So on top we need an input and exhaust out the roof, but below a supply and exhaust that feeds manifolds of to each room. But also a little condensate drain the same as a combi boiler... which.. I'll figure out

Here are the roof input/outputs, the far left one is supply input as its further away from the chimney and upwind.

And of course faffing about trying to install it all I dislodge a tile, narrowly avoid taking out the slate roof below and now have to fiddle in a tile to replace it. eurgh

But yeah get the new pipework fitted on. Its all just foam. with plastic clips? Apparently thats airtight and fine? But its a right fiddle. so cut the PIR insulation quite loose so as not to risk knocking off more loose tiles. Then stuff mineral wool in.

Then silver foil tape it all in to seal up. Also its a much more convoluted piperun now I've spun the MVHR unit about by 90degrees as everything is in each others way.

It wont make any sense as I can't explain my actions but I've silver foil taped it in at the other end too as I need to maintain an airtight bulkhead

These are the ten way manifolds I'll sling under the MVHR unit, two of them, one supply, one extract. But theyve got the wrong size input so need to wait a non aligned wait period for these reducers to be delivered. Like does no one ever do any of this? No one ever has any of this in stock ever. I'm pretty sure I'm the only person in the country building a house.

lol also to connect into each output on the manifold I need these. A valve, a connector and a reducer cos actually the manifolds aren't right either end, theyre totally the wrong manifolds. But i didnt have to wait for these parts as I ordered them a year ago. I shouldn't think its my fault but is a bit weird how like I've got some of these bits but not the others and I seem a bit like I'm making this up as I go along.

Half of them go the other way.

Ok so something like this

Oh yeah

Eventually I will buy cheap chinese activators to go on each of these little platforms which will electronically mechanically twist those cranks to set the valve to whatever level of open. But for now I can just manually balance everything as necessary for a static level of balance. Not that I really know how to that either.

Then I need to connect each output/input from the manifolds to each room to allow the air to be pumped round the house. Cos I want the air. Pumped around the house.

Ah. So I need the... not vents exactly, plenums? I dunno the "thing" that goes on the end of the pipes to get the air to go in the rooms. I sometimes worry this thread is too technical for people to follow.

These

They are loving expensive for what they are and you still need the actual vent, the bit you see in the ceiling which is also expensive. Like I was thinking maybe 20 quid for the pair is me getting ripped off... try like more like 100 quid. Times 20 for all the room and two each. WTF?

So I'm only going to use these ones where there necessary to fit under the attic floor. Elsewhere I can make my own DIY less compact ones as they can bulge into the ceiling more as they don't ahve to fit under the attic floor.

Starting to fit the supply side of the manifold.

The red and white pipes are adhering to a strict colour code of the ones that are red pipe are the ones I bought cheap of ebay one day and the white ones are the cheap white ones I bought a different day. Later on you will see a slightly off white pipe that complicates things as I bought it slightly later.

thats a downpipe connected. Its a supply to the ensuite bathroom at the end of the house. The only real concern here is that turning on the MVHR unit to test things could blow out that structural cobweb and damage the blockwork.

To create the rest of the ventilation plenums I need to order a bunch of bits. They turn up.

Yeah fine, box ripped to shreds, thats how things should turn up.

Everything is actually there though so whatever. Right, here is my DIY plenum for the extract in each room. An end piece, a T piece, to divert down into the room, a connector and then a reducer to receive the extract pipe.

The idea is that I'm going to build in my air quality sensors into the extract vent. So a suite of like humidity etc sensors that I'll drill through the end cap to sit in the airstream.

And then the supply lines which wont need the sensor package as we only need that on the return line, can be just like this.

So this is what we're starting to get down the service triangles.

Ignore the kink in the electricity trunking, I was told that was best practice to stop any electricity getting stuck at the top of your house. Also everything else being a bit.. loopy and wonky. If I hadn't shown you this you wouldn't know. It'll pull through

The octopus heart (lungs?) of the house

But we've still got the vaulted room to ventilate.

Fortunately I bid on two clown ladders at once, successfully.

And so the octopus (with 20 legs) feeds

Here is the final form of the ventilation plenums. You can maybe see now why, given their ISIS rocket launcher looks, I had to quietly order the parts from various different manufacturers.

Installed in the ceiling. Don't worry, its a normal thing

Pretty phwoar this image

It was piss easy cutting through the blockwork for the supply vents for the vaulted room. The extracts are through the brick wall. Very different proposition so had to buy another alleged diamond bit drill or whatever it is.

Come in from both ways. Not so bad though.

It looks like a tiny cute bin

Blimey thats a long post.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Here it is up in the loft (attic? does loft mean a bunkbed to americans? I kinda remember that from my time at american university)

Loft in American generally in an urban context is industrial space converted to uncomfortable residential; in a rural context it means poorly conceived spare upstairs bedroom. In either case, it appears we've accidentally settled on an agreed upon definition here and today.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

giggling like jaded burnout, can't be upstairs, if I havent got any stairs.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Goodness.

At my house, the A/C+heater unit has a single return that sucks in air in the hall. The output of the heater and AC is like, one thick tube going one way to the living room and kitchen and front bath, and another going the other way to the bedrooms and back bath. The thick tube splits out to thinner tubes at the ends. It seems weird to run individual tubes all the way to each room, like is that so you can fill a single room with poison gas to kill the spy you invited to stay over for nefarious reasons, or perhaps so you can have all the rooms down one leg of your L shaped house alternate between freezing cold and piping hot, simultaneously?

Sticky Date
Apr 4, 2009
Whoa.

I'm a building services engineer in Australia, that post just blew my mind. Our houses are not built to anywhere near the insulation and air tightness but we do have a different climate. Heat recovery ventilators are very rarely used in residential systems, unless someone is going for say a Passive House rating.

Are the air quality sensors and individual control of air to each room required by building code or is that your choice?

Does any of the ductwork need to be insulated for condensation, or do you just rely on the fact that it is within the conditioned envelope and the air will not be below dew point?

Does the return have to be ducted from each room? Most ducted residential systems here would just spill the air into a common corridor then back to a single return grille at the unit.

Awesome.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
In the movie Brazil ducts are a metaphor for bureaucratic monstrosity. But you're one guy and you chose to do this voluntarily (?)

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Hadlock posted:

Loft in American generally in an urban context is industrial space converted to uncomfortable residential; in a rural context it means poorly conceived spare upstairs bedroom. In either case, it appears we've accidentally settled on an agreed upon definition here and today.

But this is also a loft (bed)

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
That looks like it would induce coffin dreams.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Your house has more ducts than there are capillaries in a child's body. Seems like a lot but idk

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

Sirotan posted:

These were popular in the dorms where I went to college. They were great to increase usable space, letting you fit a couch in the room, but with the downside of potential head injury if you have the habit of sitting bolt upright in the middle of the night.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

EPICAC posted:

These were popular in the dorms where I went to college. They were great to increase usable space, letting you fit a couch in the room, but with the downside of potential head injury if you have the habit of sitting bolt upright in the middle of the night.

Yeah the difference between a loft bed and a bunk bed is that a bunk bed has a bed on the bottom and the top, a loft bed allows you to think that you have converted your dorm room into a sophisticated urbane gentleman's lounge by giving you a place to shove the loveseat you got for $20 at a thrift store.

Also, that is some serious HVAC MVHR plumbing. If your home's foundations weren't so firmly affixed to the inner core of the Earth I'd assume that you had secondary plans to launch this thing as a interstellar vessel, space battleship yamato style.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

That looks like it would induce coffin dreams.

Well, I certainly slept like the dead in mine. You're not really that close to the ceiling so unless you're extremely claustrophobic it doesn't matter to most people. Some people also enjoy sleeping up high and/or in a tucked away space and a loft tickles both those parts of the brain.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
It wont make any sense as I can't explain my actions

Sarah Bellum
Oct 21, 2008

bennyfactor posted:

If your home's foundations weren't so firmly affixed to the inner core of the Earth I'd assume that you had secondary plans to launch this thing as a interstellar vessel, space battleship yamato style.

Shame this is too long for a thread title. The best SA home build threads are always either Groverhausque or apocalyptically overengineered.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Sarah Bellum posted:

The best SA home build threads are always either Groverhausque or apocalyptically overengineered.

This one is the best of both worlds.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sirotan posted:

I slept in something sort of resembling this for most of my childhood. The lack of headroom wasn't a big deal, but the fact the thign wasn't anchored to the wall so it'd easily rock and bang against the wall was. When I was in college, first couple of years after I moved out and was renting a tiny room, I built the loft and just used the upper space for storage and the lower was a desk and shelves, and I had a separate bed.

I still have most of the bits. Ironically, stored in a loft area in my garage lol

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Yeah fine, box ripped to shreds, thats how things should turn up.
I'm going to need to see more dog, thanks.

(as to my other point I zoomed in, realised you hadn't cut the beams, and deleted the question)

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

giggling like jaded burnout, can't be upstairs, if I havent got any stairs.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

NotJustANumber99 posted:

But I will have moved to a better shpaed house by the time its an issue hopefully.

Impossible

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

NotJustANumber99 posted:

But I will have moved to a better shpaed house by the time its an issue hopefully.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff

(I don't know photoshop for poo poo, but I ain't sorry)

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Rarely have I been proven wrong so quickly and conclusively

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Posting Ls: a quick and easy housebuild

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Loezi posted:

(I don't know photoshop for poo poo, but I ain't sorry)

:five:

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Someone make that Windows 98 pipe screensaver but with 99's house, pls.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Leperflesh posted:

Goodness.

At my house, the A/C+heater unit has a single return that sucks in air in the hall. The output of the heater and AC is like, one thick tube going one way to the living room and kitchen and front bath, and another going the other way to the bedrooms and back bath. The thick tube splits out to thinner tubes at the ends. It seems weird to run individual tubes all the way to each room, like is that so you can fill a single room with poison gas to kill the spy you invited to stay over for nefarious reasons, or perhaps so you can have all the rooms down one leg of your L shaped house alternate between freezing cold and piping hot, simultaneously?

We have an MVHR system and it's run similarly as yours. One big inlet pipe that splits into smaller pipes into individual rooms. It goes to all bedrooms and living room.

The kitchen, bathrooms and so on have outlets that suck out air instead and they are balanced* to each other. And it's several small pipes joining into one big return pipe that goes to the MVHR unit that recycles the heat from the air leaving the house.

I don't really understand why this is set up like this. But I assume it's for similar reasons as to why the foundations were so over-engineered.

* = Imbalanced actually, so more air leaves the house than enters, creating a slight under pressure in the house.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Apr 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Right hand tower: escape pod
Left hand subtower: fallout shelter and/or elevator-fed car park (true car hole)

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Apr 20, 2023