Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

I bet your incredibly deep and powerful foundation is strong enough for you to install a shark tank below the table in the great hall although that will mess with the heated floors probably

my brother in christ have you heard the good news about tropical shark tanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

eel pit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNwoEfcpQuk

it's got grabs in

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Frazzbo posted:

One for the Loss Property office

:dadjoke:

oh my loving god

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

WhatEvil posted:

I used to think that the US-style of building houses (timber frame, forced-air heating) was poo poo, but since moving to Canada, I've come around to it. It seems much less intimidating to make modifications to your house with timber frame stuff, for one thing. You've got all cavities everywhere that you can cut into and gently caress around with easily. I even cut a hole fully through my house wall to install a catflap and it was really really easy.

One bad thing about the American style though is that they view exterior finishes as like, perishable? IDK they do asphalt roofs here (like roofing felt, except rather than a continuous roll, they're separate tiles/shingles lapped over each other in the same way that slate/clay/whatever tiles are) and it's assumed that you'll just get your whole roof re-covered every 10-15 years which costs like $5-10k depending on how big your roof is. Similarly siding - most houses around where I am at least seem to have vinyl siding which is cheap as far as materials go, but also degrades and looks pretty shite after ~20 years. Again to replace that you're looking at $10-20k if you get a contractor to do it.

I'd say "I don't understand" why they don't just like, make poo poo that'll last... but I think it's just to save builders money in the first instance of building the house.

Ah hello, I am also in Ottawa.

To be fair I still think that central forced-air HVAC is poo poo after being in Canada my whole life. A brand-new install by someone who does it right is probably pretty good but older stuff is just gigantic ducts taking up space in the walls everywhere and leaking air all over the place that you've paid good money to heat or cool. And good luck trying to balance the distribution across multiple floors and rooms in different seasons. And you'll probably be wastefully conditioning 100% of the house at all times because zoning is not much of a thing.

I'm definitely on board with the timber framing and all the useful empty spaces it gives you.

My assumption about the roofing and cladding materials is the extreme cost difference. We could probably replace our roof 4 times for the cost of a metal or tile roof and that's on the assumption that you're staying in the house long enough for that to happen.
As far as siding goes, modern 'premium' vinyl can last an extremely long time without much degradation these days while being wind-resistant, scratch-proof, maintenance-free (almost), aesthetically pleasing, and still quite cheap. It's a pretty hard sell to go for any other material.

I have an old house for these parts (160 this year!) so our foundation is field stones and our siding is wood. The siding needs to be replaced soon-ish and going for actual wood is just expensive as hell.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Why is wood expensive in Canada of all places? Might be worth it still, maintained wooden paneling can last over a century.

It also depends on where one looks I guess. If I where to buy from bigger chains I'd pay a lot more than if I had the local sawmill fix my wood for me. Possibly it's the same where you are.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

lol I probably did cut the beams.
Ah. My original question was "Is that wise, given how we've established that the aerated blocks have a structural load bearing capacity lower than Captain Tom?"

Seeing all this stuff go together is very satisfying. I feel like if my hands weren't absolutely hosed and I had no money, it'd be really cool to attempt something like this.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Why is wood expensive in Canada of all places?

Almost everything is expensive in Canada, and almost entirely without good reason. It's just a capitalist hellhole in a lot of ways. You might look at the economy of Canada, our natural resources, pick a thing and think "Well *surely* [x] is cheap there?" and no, no it isn't. There's basically nothing left that's any cheaper than the UK now - and the UK is already expensive compared to the rest of Europe. The only things off the top of my head that are no more expensive than the UK are small appliances, small power tools, electronics and computer hardware which are all broadly comparable. I guess gasoline is a bit cheaper here but it's been climbing steeply lately. I suppose we've also missed the meteoric energy price-rises that they've had in the UK but that was only ever because of massive self-sabotage.

Fidelitious posted:

Ah hello, I am also in Ottawa.

To be fair I still think that central forced-air HVAC is poo poo after being in Canada my whole life. A brand-new install by someone who does it right is probably pretty good but older stuff is just gigantic ducts taking up space in the walls everywhere and leaking air all over the place that you've paid good money to heat or cool. And good luck trying to balance the distribution across multiple floors and rooms in different seasons. And you'll probably be wastefully conditioning 100% of the house at all times because zoning is not much of a thing.

I'm definitely on board with the timber framing and all the useful empty spaces it gives you.

My assumption about the roofing and cladding materials is the extreme cost difference. We could probably replace our roof 4 times for the cost of a metal or tile roof and that's on the assumption that you're staying in the house long enough for that to happen.
As far as siding goes, modern 'premium' vinyl can last an extremely long time without much degradation these days while being wind-resistant, scratch-proof, maintenance-free (almost), aesthetically pleasing, and still quite cheap. It's a pretty hard sell to go for any other material.

I have an old house for these parts (160 this year!) so our foundation is field stones and our siding is wood. The siding needs to be replaced soon-ish and going for actual wood is just expensive as hell.

Yeah fair, I guess the ducts do take up a shitload of space - particularly a pain the way they often do basements here which leaves you with a 6ft ceiling under where the ducts are. Got a bit lucky with my current house.

Again with the roof thing, it just seems like yeah, the materials are about 4x the cost of asphalt, but from what I can tell, the actual labour required isn't really much more at all to install a metal roof over and above what it is to install or replace an asphalt one... but you still get charged like 4x more total anyway, because the contractors just think "Well they want to pay more, so let's charge what we can get away with" - which seems to be the case with any kind of contractor here. I'm thinking of installing my own metal roof even though I've never done any kind of roofing before. I've watched some youtube vids - it's not hard. Just have to make sure I don't fall off my roof and die.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

WhatEvil posted:

Almost everything is expensive in Canada, and almost entirely without good reason. It's just a capitalist hellhole in a lot of ways. You might look at the economy of Canada, our natural resources, pick a thing and think "Well *surely* [x] is cheap there?" and no, no it isn't. There's basically nothing left that's any cheaper than the UK now - and the UK is already expensive compared to the rest of Europe. The only things off the top of my head that are no more expensive than the UK are small appliances, small power tools, electronics and computer hardware which are all broadly comparable. I guess gasoline is a bit cheaper here but it's been climbing steeply lately. I suppose we've also missed the meteoric energy price-rises that they've had in the UK but that was only ever because of massive self-sabotage.

Gasoline is like 1/2 the price. Hydro is way cheaper. Groceries are in general more expensive, but quality is much much higher.
Quality of life infinitely higher and Canada has a resemblance of a functional, not totally corrupt government.
There's absolutely no way I would ever live in the UK again.

2x4 in the UK

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Studwork-CLS-Timber---38-x-89-x-2400mm/p/107713

Canada:
https://www.rona.ca/en/product/bosc...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

ImplicitAssembler fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 21, 2023

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Gasoline is like 1/2 the price. Hydro is way cheaper. Groceries are in general more expensive, but quality is much much higher.
Quality of life infinitely higher and Canada has a resemblance of a functional, not totally corrupt government.
There's absolutely no way I would ever live in the UK again.

2x4 in the UK

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Studwork-CLS-Timber---38-x-89-x-2400mm/p/107713

Canada:
https://www.rona.ca/en/product/bosc...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

OK well according to this: https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=Canada&country2=United+Kingdom gasoline is currently 47% more expensive in the UK but I'm not sure if that's comparing the lowest grade in Canada to the lowest grade in the UK or what... but I think the low grade here is 89 octane and I think standard unleaded petrol in the UK is 95? Which is the high grade here? So I think it's not an apples-to-apples comparison. It has $1.78/l for the Canadian gas price but for 95 Octane here I typically see more like $2. Still, yes, more expensive in the UK but like I say, it has gone up a decent amount here recently.

Groceries here are way more expensive and I wouldn't say they're any higher quality. I used to shop at Morrisons in the UK and their fruit and veg was shite - looked alright but would usually go mouldy within a few days. I shop at Food Basics here and fresh fruit and veg is like twice as expensive as it was at Morrisons, and it's about the same quality. Stuff in Metro is about the same quality as UK Tesco but I reckon the price differential there is probably more (Metro seem to charge like 30-50% more even on products that are the exact same size and brand). Also some stuff here like supermarket bread here is worse quality and more expensive than UK stuff. Used to be able to go to any supermarket in the UK and go to their in-store bakery section (which pretty much every single supermarket had - and even most of the smaller "corner shop" Tesco/Sainsbury's/Whatever stores had stuff that was baked the same day but probably offsite), and buy a really nice bakery-quality loaf of interesting bread with seeds or whatever for about £1.50. Very much not a thing you can do here. If you want similar here you'll seemingly pay about $7+.

Some of those price comparisons in that numbeo link I posted seem about right and some seem way off. It says you can get 1kg of local cheese in Canada for $14.53 but I pay an average of about $5 for 200g of the cheapest stuff I can get, on sale, in Food Basics, which is the cheapest supermarket I've found (so ~$25/kg). If somebody has a hookup where I can pay $15/kg of good cheese here let me know and I'll spend thousands of dollars there.

Still, like you, I wouldn't move back. You make a good point about the less openly, massively corrupt government here, and as a consequence daily life feels much less unrelentingly grim, even if it is expensive here.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 21, 2023

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
please don't use my thread to deal illegal canadian cheeses.

At least cut me into the deal.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

can I derail your thread to discuss gasoline/petrol? because us, canada, and UK do not calculate "octane" the same (and also "high grade" is not actually that, it's "less explosive" which is needed for high compression engines so they don't have premature detonation and blow up, it's not "better gas." In a sense, it's "worse gas." Calling it "premium" was a genius marketing move to convince idiots to put the wrong fuel int their cars and get worse performance as a result lol)

quote:

If a fuel is 98 RON then it will be 93 PON -> 93 PUMP
If a fuel is 95 RON and 87 MON then it will be 91 PON -> 91 PUMP
https://www.etuners.gr/fuel/

also when you buy less of something it usually costs more per weight then when you buy more of it, that should not be hard to understand either lol

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee

Leperflesh posted:

can I derail your thread to discuss gasoline/petrol?
no

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Leperflesh posted:

also when you buy less of something it usually costs more per weight then when you buy more of it, that should not be hard to understand either lol

Usually, yes, but weirdly never seems to be the case for cheese? Maybe if you're buying wholesale quantities of like 10+kg.

Anyway it turns out I'm an idiot (shut up NJAN99) and the blocks of cheese I get are actually 400g, not 200g, so I guess ignore my cheese rant 'cause I was off by a factor of 2.

Still, that is for like, the most basic cheddar here and it's literally the cheapest cheese I can find of any kind. Anything outside of that is definitely more expensive here. Just generally if you want the "nice" version of something here it's often like 3x the price of the basic version, whereas in the UK you could often get the "nice" version of something for like 30% more than the basic /standard version.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 21, 2023

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
How's marijuana prices in Canada? In Michigan it's literally half of what it was last year and a guy I know that grows it says without a warehouse you can't even grow it for cheaper than what dispensaries sell it for. Also apparently the stuff at dispensaries is basically crappy Walmart weed.

Leperflesh posted:

can I derail your thread to discuss gasoline/petrol? because us, canada, and UK do not calculate "octane" the same (and also "high grade" is not actually that, it's "less explosive" which is needed for high compression engines so they don't have premature detonation and blow up, it's not "better gas." In a sense, it's "worse gas." Calling it "premium" was a genius marketing move to convince idiots to put the wrong fuel int their cars and get worse performance as a result lol)

https://www.etuners.gr/fuel/

I wanted to post that, but you beat me to it.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Yeah, by a silly California law, commercial business buildings are required to put up signs saying "In the case of an earthquake you're going to die because this building is unreinforced masonry, sorry about that." Rather than, say, doing anything at all about their building that is going to collapse come the Big One.

This law was actually passed as a result of my hometown getting hit by a quake that killed two, after a building that wasn't yet updated to new building codes had it's roof slide off. It still had time before it was legally required to, but at the very least there's now the signs showing that such buildings are death traps.

On the more positive side, that earthquake taught me that one of my high school teachers curses like a sailor. She was at the store where I was working when the earthquake hit.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Cat Hatter posted:

How's marijuana prices in Canada? In Michigan it's literally half of what it was last year and a guy I know that grows it says without a warehouse you can't even grow it for cheaper than what dispensaries sell it for. Also apparently the stuff at dispensaries is basically crappy Walmart weed.

Good, I think? I moved here a little after legalisation and I had never bought any before in the UK so difficult to compare. On the OCS (Ontario government cannabis store, online) you can get what is, I believe, regarded to be "very good" dry flower for about $10/g, buying 3.5g at a time. At the low end there are a bunch of varieties available for $3.50ish/g but I have no idea what they're like.

Bear in mind prices are in CAD and include taxes.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

idhrendur posted:

This law was actually passed as a result of my hometown getting hit by a quake that killed two, after a building that wasn't yet updated to new building codes had it's roof slide off.
Paso Robles?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Threads hosed

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Paso Robles?

That's the one! Smelt of sulfer for years thanks to the hot springs becoming uncapped.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

omg

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

WhatEvil posted:

Usually, yes, but weirdly never seems to be the case for cheese? Maybe if you're buying wholesale quantities of like 10+kg.

Anyway it turns out I'm an idiot (shut up NJAN99) and the blocks of cheese I get are actually 400g, not 200g, so I guess ignore my cheese rant 'cause I was off by a factor of 2.

Still, that is for like, the most basic cheddar here and it's literally the cheapest cheese I can find of any kind. Anything outside of that is definitely more expensive here. Just generally if you want the "nice" version of something here it's often like 3x the price of the basic version, whereas in the UK you could often get the "nice" version of something for like 30% more than the basic /standard version.

Dairy is a lot more expensive here, as it's not subsidized and imports are taxed to protect local production.
It's not as much as it's being unreasonable expensive, it's that EU/US massively subsidizes dairy artificially lowering the price.
(I believe the UK is now subsidizing dairy on their own).

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Yep, real fun game of “my country’s worse”.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
But not as hosed as the American healthcare system.

*Tosses lit match over his shoulder as he walks out of thread*

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Ah I'm just getting back at NJAN for making GBS threads up the UKMT all the time.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

WhatEvil posted:

Ah I'm just getting back at NJAN for making GBS threads up the UKMT all the time.

Fair, but if he doesn't get to do his thing in here he's just gonna be worse everywhere else

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Slugworth posted:

But not as hosed as the American healthcare system.

*Tosses lit match over his shoulder as he walks out of thread*
look, circumcision is just healthier ok

Church Ladyboy
Oct 11, 2007

SQUAWK

Bobby Deluxe posted:

look, circumcision is just healthier ok

I like a 10% tip

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Having somehow missed this thread until now I just marathoned the whole thing in like 2 days. I've nothing helpful to add but am in awe at your commitment to building a house with walls made of compacted dust and hope atop the foundations for a skyscraper.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Goons overbuilding/ under building is fun to watch

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Eventually I will buy cheap chinese activators to go on each of these little platforms which will electronically mechanically twist those cranks to set the valve to whatever level of open. But for now I can just manually balance everything as necessary for a static level of balance. Not that I really know how to that either.
You get a thing that looks like a bucket but with a calibrated fan in the end that measures volumetric airflow and hold it over each vent. Then I think you go from room to room swearing as you try to solve a ten dimensional problem to get the airflow rates in table 1.2 of approved document F. Then when you have it signed off you turn it down to 1/3 power because you don't like the noise. It still clears the bathroom fog in less than 5 minutes though.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Also the ventilation system I think will allow me to not have a hob extractor fan which would be tricky to do given the hob is going on the island in a vaulted space. I think anyway.
Correct. You can use table 1.2 of approved document F and have 13l/s of continuous ventilation, rather than table 1 and have to provide 30l/s of intermittent ventilation.
It would be remiss to not also direct you to clause 1.8 though. Access for maintenance.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Endjinneer posted:

You get a thing that looks like a bucket but with a calibrated fan in the end that measures volumetric airflow and hold it over each vent. Then I think you go from room to room swearing as you try to solve a ten dimensional problem to get the airflow rates in table 1.2 of approved document F. Then when you have it signed off you turn it down to 1/3 power because you don't like the noise. It still clears the bathroom fog in less than 5 minutes though.

Correct. You can use table 1.2 of approved document F and have 13l/s of continuous ventilation, rather than table 1 and have to provide 30l/s of intermittent ventilation.
It would be remiss to not also direct you to clause 1.8 though. Access for maintenance.

This kind of competence is not welcome here thank you very much.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Endjinneer posted:

whateva nerd

a little content i guess.

I broke the digger again, front right arm pin sheared off on a dodgy not me bodge weld.

Had friendly old chap on corner clean it up and took it to a new guy I'd been told about a village over. lovely place. farm with industrial unit out back. Longhorn highland cows, biggest ever great dane and two sheepdogs that bullied me for an hour to throw a tennis ball for them. Guy doing the welding spoke some kind of ciggarette lathe encrusted blacksmith english impenetrable to modern folk but got it figured out. He redid the pin much better than it was. Properly machined in a new thread.

Digger fixed.

Wasn't running nicely so emptied fuel/water separator and did it back up. Shattered glass bowl. So hosed again. its 12 quid delivered for a new one that might be right lol so a few days to wait.

Was worried about the fuel spilling out so pumped it back out and there wasn't any so probably that was why it was stalling, nothing to do with seperator. just no fuel.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 24, 2023

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Wasn't running nicely so emptied fuel/water separator and did it back up. Shattered glass bowl. So hosed again. its 12 quid delivered for a new one that might be right lol so a few days to wait.

Was worried about the fuel spilling out so pumped it back out and there wasn't any so probably that was why it was stalling, nothing to do with seperator. just no fuel.
If I'm remembering right didn't you also do an entire engine swap on a car before checking if the radiator was leaking or something?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Also might be time for a locking gas cap given the site history.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

LloydDobler posted:

Also might be time for a locking gas cap given the site history.

Yup, every chav needs a new tracksuit sometime.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

tangy yet delightful posted:

If I'm remembering right didn't you also do an entire engine swap on a car before checking if the radiator was leaking or something?

Thats not the way I choose to remember it.

Got the new digger fuel bowl and swapped out easily enough. pissed a bunch of fuel everywhere before getting brave enough to tighten it up properly given having just wrecked the other one.

but works

Electrics ongoing, but decided to try and get some decisions made on things like kitchen and bathrooms as socket placement and stuff is becoming an issue. I have no taste though. So I'm going to get an AI to do it for me. The most averaged version of taste imaginable. and probably unuseable.

Here is the starting prompt image, a quick line drawing from sketchup. Having difficulty getting it to to stick to bricks on the back wall so tried to bully it with a little photoshop

Text prompt has varied a bit, but is roughly this:

ai99 posted:

RAW photo, home interior view, daylight, dark green kitchen units, dark green kitchen island, tiled floor, light oak beams, vaulted white ceilings, white side walls, red brick gable wall, anthracite window and door frames, bifold doors

Results are... To achieve some would require substantial reconfiguration.

not a vaulted roof

Noticeably no actual kitchen here?

impossible but hobbitty and lovely

ok elements here

bricked it

again lovely

would smoke weed here

etc

So basically Ai's listen to you about as much as builders do.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Got a personal invite to the corrie, did you?

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Noticeably no actual kitchen here?

"Design a kitchen in this space."
code:

HAVE YOU CONSIDERED AN ADDITIONAL PLANT ROOM INSTEAD

The SA Forums: Hobbies, Crafts and Houses: Towards an L-shape AI: it listens to me as much as builders do

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

No an AI, but having a door in that wall turns that area in front of the units into a corridor, which could become an issue. Of course there is not much you can do about it now!

I used diykitchens as they have a pretty good designer that you can mess around in.

If you are feeling brave there are websites where you can buy really high quality bespoke kitchens that are being taken out of London mansions, or ex showroom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
You could go Mechanical Turk and pay someone peanuts on Fiverr to design it